Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jun 03 2007 12:51 PM
Re: Day 1. Tropical Storm Barry Forms in Gulf of Mexico

Looking at the floater for the remnants of Barry, and combining this with the information in the 11am advisory from the Hydrometeorological Center, Barry's rains may be over, but the wind is actually stronger now. The advisory makes no mention of the term "tropical depression" because Barry has lost its tropical characteristics, but the NHC still shows the advisory under "Tropical Depression Barry". It's semantecs, but to me, this is sort of poor form when winds stated in the advisory are above the threshold for tropical storm strength and the pressure is actually quite a bit lower than it ever was in Barry as a tropical entity, at 992 MB.

Given the remnant low's proximity to the coastline right now, could it actually get out over water and re-acquire tropical characteristics? On the visible loop I thought it was doing just this, but the IR loop shows no convection near the center, but I think a case could be made that given the location and strength, the low is in fact a "subtropical" storm right now.

Edit: Just pulled up the Wilmington, NC, radar. It shows a poorly defined circulation, but a circulation nonetheless, southeast of Wilmington - offshore - moving in toward Wilmington.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center