Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Jul 04 2007 01:29 AM
Re: Waiting...But Not Quite There Yet

I don't know what to make of 96L. The 5pm TWO indicated that it was less organized (not in so many words) than earlier in the day, but right now, it looks very much like a tropical depression, to my eyes anyway. It's not a storm, but it has a rotation, and convection near the rotation. There's some nice banding features, too, for a storm this far out to see on July 3rd. If it were 2005, I would have guessed they would have pulled the trigger already, but the new crew at the NHC seems less inclined to throw up advisories on things of this nature.

Will it survive a substantial trek across the Atlantic and enter the Hurricane Graveyard (AKA the eastern Caribbean)? Time will tell.

(Speculation without supporting rationale belongs in the Forecast Lounge.)

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center