Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Aug 03 2007 03:00 AM
Re: Enter August... Two Systems to Watch

I'm starting to think that both this feature in the Gulf as well as 99L are not on the development path. While there's a weak surface low with the former in Apalachee Bay, there's just no real focusing mechanism along the broad trough across the northern Gulf -- nor are there any signs of one developing. This may end up just being a rain event for Florida and parts of the SE, a much needed rain event. With 99L, it's a lot like a storm a few years back -- others have said Chantal from 2001, though I haven't looked to see if that's truly the case -- in that it is moving too fast for the convective bursts to have much of an effect in terms of developing a surface circulation. With no surface circulation, convection can't persist and the system can't develop. With conditions a bit more unfavorable further west and no signs of the feature slowing...I'm thinking our development chances from either of the system can be knocked down just a tad.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center