Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 11 2007 05:16 AM
Re: Weak weekend

Yeah, there'll be a lot bantered about with that wave coming off of Africa this weekend I feel. Conditions aren't ideal due to cooler-than-normal water temperatures near the Cape Verdes, but it looks like all other conditions are favorable and that this feature is going to remain far enough south from the outset so as to avoid most of those complications. It's a relatively easy track forecast for anything that does form out there over the next week -- west to west-northwest at 15 or so mph until it gets near the Lesser Antilles. That's where the fun begins. It's largely too early to speculate beyond that, but we'll be watching how a trough across the northeast United States evolves over the next week as it could be key in determining the ultimate track of this feature -- if it develops, of course. The models are in surprisingly good agreement on something forming out there, I'd just go a tad slower than they figure as of now.

Meanwhile, the mess in the Caribbean festers but without anything really to focus upon. I suspect daytime heating and the associated diurnal convection over Cuba and Hispaniola may be hindering things at least a tad. This one's going to be much slower to move over the next few days. It's something to watch, but as of now I think our more significant action may come from the deep tropical Atlantic in the next few days.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center