CoconutCandy
(User)
Fri Aug 31 2007 11:46 AM
Tropical Depression 6 / Felix Determination

Hmmm. No 11am advisory on a "newly formed TD6", as some of us were expecting.

I suppose that, with the good folks with 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron heading for the disturbance, NHC decided to avail themselves of all that great technology, and let the Recon Data decide what the status of the disturbance should be. I can understand their call.

And, as just noted, the recon data will be inserted into the global models, providing a much better and more accurate picture of what will evolve over the coming days. So they're hedging their bet with that Special Statement, and letting the awesome power of technology have the actual honors of making that crucial determination.

And maybe the 'Special Tropical Weather Statement' was issued because they thought it'd catch more attention from 'casual' visitors to their home page (and the media) if they FLASH it up there, whereas not everyone 'digs down' and reads the nitty-gritty TWO on a routine basis, like many of us.

All I can say, IMHO, it sure looks like and could very well be a Depression already. And NRL has just increased the winds to 30 Kts. Felix is ready to pop out of the oven.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center