dem05
(User)
Mon Sep 03 2007 08:56 AM
Re: Vortex

Just a couple footnotes and helpful links while going into the new day. The satellite presentation says enough for Felix...it is presently on a more west than west northwest course at this time. Amore southern track is apparently the way to go as the storm has headed more to the west over night.

The steering data (Which will update sometime during the next hour) would indicate that there is a High pressure steering flow due to the north of Felix. There is a secondary ridge in the eastern Gulf of Mexico. In between, there is a slight breakdown in the steering flow due to the ULL off of Miami. The overall effect of the ULL will be minimal, but will probably lead to a slow down in Felix's forward speed in about 12-16 hours...In fact, Felix may have slowed down by a Mile Per Hour in forward speed now...But that is tough to guage due to the satellite eclipse. The steering layer for a hurricane with pressures below 940mb is generally the 200-700mb level. I am attaching the link for that here: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm6.html (It updates every 3 hours)

Yesterday's discussion from the NHC also featured an upcomming trough of low pressure. I am attaching a great link at the end of this paragraph in the event that you may want to follow it's evolution throughout the day. The trough is currentlyappraoching the Pacific coast and will likely turn Henrietta in the Pacific on amore northerly course. As far as interests go with Felix...so far, I'm not sure that this will be much of a player. There is a solid ULL embedded in the trough, it is moving at a good clip, but it is sliding ENE ward now...Also, at this time, the trough does not seem to be a digging trough. I could speculate that the trough would have to be a "digging" troughin order to get enough influence going late in the period. Lot's can change as the pattern evolves and as the NHC has advertised with respect to this trough...As for now, it lookslike the overall affects will be slight. Link to Goes West Vapor Loop: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/west/animation/goeswestwv.html

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center