cieldumort
(Moderator)
Wed Sep 12 2007 08:45 AM
Re: Watching Wave East of the Caribbean

Oh I'm up late tonight, as I suppose many a tracker is here in Texas right now.

Looks like we have one and a half tropical cyclones on our hands tonight. I'm behind the analysis provided above in regards to 91L, and basically believe that if it was within recon range we would have ourselves an officiated TD on this one by noon today. Might happen just the same, even if NHC does often like to give the features still out in the wide blue yonder the unbenefit of the doubt.

90L, 90L. This one is knock knock knocking up against the Texas shores tonight, and environmental conditions for further development, as has its appearance, have only improved yet more. Numerous AFDs are now strongly hinting that it may easily earn a number before moving inland, as have several of our areas OCMs. I've got it up at a 50% chance in my blog now, and feel this may even be conservative. Just too close to call due to proximity to land... but, 90s forward motion seems to have come to a crawl, if not a near-stall, overnight. Being held back a bit by the front, maybe even getting that little extra necessary synoptic kick from interaction with the front, while wind shear has -really- dropped and upper-level winds have now turned somewhat anti-cyclonic overhead.

Tonight marks the first night that pressures within the sphere of 90L have been notably dropping -while- convection has been notably increasing about the surface trough/low. Surface obs, scatterometer, and area radars strongly suggest the presence of an elongated (NNE-SSW) surface low that is consolidating the closer it gets to the coast. Observed max. sustained winds at elevations under 35 feet are now up to as high as 25+ MPH.

At the very least, barring a sudden weakening of either of these invests (90 & 91) I fully expect we'll see TCFAs up on them today. (At the very least.) It's mid-September during a season that has already proven to be above-average, and heading into its second half with a developing La Nina. This should not be surprising.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center