Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Sep 12 2007 11:33 PM
Re: humberto and friends

I hate to say it, but, based upon the current radar presentation, and the continual drop in pressure, now to 998, with still as much as 8 hours over water... the possibility of Humberto reaching Cat 1 intensity - a casual, almost joking matter a mear 12 hours ago - is becoming more and more likely. I still think Humberto will miss the mark, just barely (landfalling in the 65-70 mph range), but I would not be shocked if they upgraded Humberto in the post-storm analysis. Someone else mentioned insurance - I'm sure there are probably many people with policies that provide different coverage for depressions and named storms, and even different coverage for named storms and hurricanes. I know this was a bit of a gripe I had two seasons ago, when the NHC upgraded Katrina just as it made its initial landfall along the Atlantic coast of Florida. Obviously the NHC has to go with what their data is telling them, but at that time, I felt like Katrina had winds of 75mph before the NHC made the call. That tidbit got justifiably forgotten in the devastation that came days later.

With Humberto, I suspect things may materialize in a similar fashion, in that the storm may reach minimal hurricane intensity just prior to landfall. Hopefully it doesn't stall out.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center