cieldumort
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 14 2007 08:02 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Ingrid forms east of islands

Right up to and right after Humberto's landfall I would have been more immediately concerned about recurvature into the GOM, but this is looking a little bit less possible (and never was highly likely) with each passing couple of hours.

Humberto is decoupling quite appreciably, and it continues to look as if he is melding with the front, on way to an eventual exit - probably off the southeast coast somewhere.

I do think it is actually starting to look nearly equally possible that whatever is left of Humberto rekindles a bit over the Gulf Stream. Either a GOM or Gulf Stream rebirth of Humberto.. looks to me like maybe a 25% chance of either of these two scenarios really happening. That might sound like an awful lot, but maybe it's not, as once these kinds of tropical systems take up some firm roots, it can almost take an act of god to dislodge their grips on potential regeneration (Consider Erin and Ivan as two recent examples).

In the nearer term we have Ingrid over the open waters. I suspect that shear will not be as detrimental to Ingrid's prospects as official forecasts and model guidance suggests. Consider that already, for the better part of at least 24 hours prior to being named, Ingrid was being bombarded with considerable shear, and yet, despite all of this, continued to hold on to a fairly well-defined vortex within a generally larger circulation, had entirely believable 35 knot wind vectors on scatterometer passes, and generally scored 2.5 across the board for T numbers throughout. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that Ingrid may easily be backdated to a tropical storm as much as a full 24 hours prior to being named. And it also doesn't take rocket science to conclude that Ingrid is already another tenacious cyclone. How tenacious? Verdict is certainly still out. If her ability to fend off shear is any indication, and with increasingly warmer and warmer waters up ahead, about the only thing that might really do her in more than anything else would be an untimely run-in with dry air, perhaps.

Also in the near term I believe we may need to start paying at least some attention to the southern Caribbean. It appears that a surface low may be forming. A ship located in this area of disturbed weather, around 11.6N 74W, recently reported sustained winds of 36.9 knots and a pressure of only 29.67. Additionally, I think maybe HF already alluded to this, I would be keeping a watchful eye on the area around Cuba/Florida Straits/either side of Florida this weekend. My own thinking is that some forced pressure falls may come about and work somewhat in tandem with a preexisting surface reflection of the ULL centered roughly about 25N 65W, perhaps even to entrain and work with whatever is left available of x-Humberto in the area.

It's the climatological peak of what has already proven to be an above-average season, so until I see that trend break down, I might think a bit bullishly. We all were exposed to history at one time or another. Remember, "Remember the Alamo"? I'm replacing that with "Remember the Humberto, the Erino, the Felixio, and the Deano" at least until October's over. This year has been one to surprise on the upside.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center