cieldumort
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 21 2007 06:11 AM
Re: Gulf of Mexico System

It's also not helping any that we are trying to dissect a marginal system during satellite eclipse.

Nonetheless, I'm on board with a good chance (better than 50-50) of a subtropical cyclone declared by 8PM Friday, and a somewhat smaller chance that there will be time for a more tropical transition to still occur within the next 36 hours or so.

Subtropical cyclones come in many flavors. The kind that NHC is typically more willing to officially recognize are those well-stacked ULLs that bore down to the surface and get something going.. and usually right in the smack middle of 'em. However, countless studies have shed light on a much broader spectrum of subtropical cyclones that many argue should also be formally classified. Best I can tell, 93 has been riding the line all along between the garden-variety, most widely-recognized brand of subtropical cyclone, and some of the more exotic. It's my -guess- that because 93 is so close to land, already producing the "right stuff" which we would most often expect to experience with a landfalling subtropical and even some of a tropical cyclone (these include: winds strongest in just about all quadrants well-away from the very center, squalls producing very strong gusts, tornadic squall once interaction with land, bands of heavy to very heavy and training - flooding rain) that even a small increase in organization would probably tip their hand for the bump.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center