LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Wed Oct 31 2007 03:27 PM
Re: Notes from satellite observations

Yeah, in a discussion I found hard to read compared to the excellent one beven did at 5... they seem to feel they may have to issue a warning because we will be experiencing tropical storm winds but it's not really from the storm but from the pressure gradient and they posed the question why... sort of... and referred us to the NWS for more info

After the 11 am discussion I may spend the rest of the day on NWS and here....

Why?

Because if we have tropical storm force winds then it should be issued and not a high wind warning

why? people pay attn to Tropical Storm Warnings.. vs Wind Warnings which they think means "windy"

Why? Does it make a difference if its from a gradient connected to Noel or from Noel directly.. if some palm branch flies into your car window shield while you are driving your child to go halloweening "for just a little while" ...do you care the wind came from the storm itself or the weather associated with the storm..

Words games while the public's interests are not being served...

No one is saying a Cat 2 Hurricane is moving towards South Florida but while this storm intensifies (clearly happening) and expands (definitely) the winds will pick up and people need to know whether to expect kids to go to school tomorrow or drive a long commute into work or take the day off.

After Irene I thought they learned and it doesn't help to go on and update at 1pm after everyone is stuck at work far from home or out in traffic with rising water and rising winds..

and.. I don't care if it's extra-tropical or tropical.. i care what the winds will be and if i will or wont be in their path

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center