danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Nov 04 2007 05:59 PM
Attachment
Re: Noel Becomes a Hurricane, Races North Northeast

Oops, I hadn't read Clark's post above . So Noel was warm core.

I checked the latest meteogram at CWWE- Western Head, N.S., Canada. It covers the period from 12Z on Saturday to 17Z on Sunday-today.
Two meteorological parameters are slightly obvious.
Temperature at 12Z-Saturday was 9C, dewpoint 5C, wind NE at 22kt gusts to 30kt. Pressure 1026.7mb
Temperature at 03Z-Sunday (last night) was 16C, dewpoint of 15C (nearly 100% rel. humidity), wind SE at 30kt gusts to 40kt. Pressure 985.5mb

See attachment.

So you warmed by wind flow, increase in temperature and humidity. Not to mention the pressure dropped from 1026mb to 985mb in 15 hours. Roughly a 3mb drop per hour. Nearly a typical drop for an approaching Cyclone. I've seen 6 mb per hour drops at coastal stations bordering the GOM.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center