cate
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Sep 05 2008 01:18 PM
Re: Hanna Approaches Carolinas, Ike Remains Major

Andy,
Thanks for your response. I do have all my important papers in heavy plastic storage boxes which I will stow in our car along with my pc ('cause I don't want my hard drive blowing all over FL!), and plenty of water and food. Plus, my sister and daughter have access to all my online accounts and copies of my insurance info, etc. I freeze my water bottles and use them to keep my coolers cold so I can store my husband's diabetic meds/insulin. Then they can also be used for drinking. I also freeze gallon jugs to put in the fridge/freezer to keep cold/frozen items cold longer, but I have stocked up on nonperishables as well. I have a percolator for making coffee on the grill, which I bought after Frances and used for Jeanne and Wilma. Cell phones are charged and gas tank topped. Just won't pack suitcases and kitties til last minute. I really prefer not to leave them and I know shelters won't take them. The problem with living in FL is that the state is so narrow and the ways out so limited. I would probably head to my daughter's in GA on Monday if Ike is predicted anywhere near us, but dread the bumper-to-bumper anticipated traffic. My mobile home, as I said previously, was seriously damaged during Frances, exacerbated by Jeanne and later by Wilma, with minimal FEMA assistance, which went to Miami-Dade for some unknown reason. At this point, I am just crossing my fingers. I can't STAND being offline due to power outages!!!!

But, can't pray it won't hit us bc that means it would hit someone else. If it skips SoFL and goes into the Gulf, I don't know what THOSE poor people would do.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center