Terra
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Sep 06 2008 02:23 PM
Re: New Orleans again?!

Quote:

Quote:

One one hand I am relieved that my own town is now out of Ike's cone, but I am horrified that it seems that New Orleans is again right in the middle of the projected path of the hurricane. Can New Orleans take yet another near miss or hit?

I'm afraid not. Gustav leveled most of the high tension power transmission lines south of I-10.
Many will be without power for another week or two as it is.
Distribution and transmission lines are down in much of SE and S Central Louisiana. Another storm shouldn't do much more damage other than delay repair.
It will cost the evacuees more money to evacuate and the area will lose tourism money and tax money.

The problem, as I see it, is that I believe many New Orleanians are unaware that we are getting closer to being inside of the cone for Ike. Even places that have power may not have cable or internet. Plus, as of this morning, both wwltv.com and nola.com were focused on Gustav restoration. Fox was broadcasting stuff about Ike, and it was on the second page of the Times Picayune, but it's not headline news around here. Couple that with the miss, the problems with re-entry (from the evacuees perspective), and the lack of money after Gustav's evacuation, and this really concerns me.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center