BracGypsy
(Registered User)
Wed Sep 29 2010 09:55 PM
Re: Wave in Western Caribbean May Form Today. Rain For Southeast Florida

Poster: Lamar-Plant City.{Not hearing much about that 'secondary' system at this time....is that out of the models now?}

Lamar, I haven't been around this site long enough to find my way around yet. I am still learning about all this. But I checked the Secondary system out' it's showing on the Noaa site now, and there's another following that one too. The first one says it's a Tropical wave over the central Atlantic' located about 700 miles from the Windward islands. It also says there's only a 10 present chance of this system becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours. The second System says about the same other than it's 850 miles from the Windward islands.

I like to keep up with hurricanes since this little island seems to attract them. The Brac was hit really bad on November 8th 2008 with a hurricane called Paloma. Some of us are still rebuilding from that one. It was a Cat 4 with Cat 5 in gust. When that monster got through with us, this little island looked as if a A bomb when off on it. About 95% of all homes an buildings here' either lost all their roofs, and walls or parts. About 95% of all electric polls when down. Most of the island was without electric power for over 4 months. We had electric generators running for all that time" plus'. We have here 1500 population. What a mess that hurricane was, So I can't think of anyone here who really cares to see another hurricane. Check online google, "Paloma" hit Image. There's still photos up of the devastation here. We are thankful no one was killed.

What was so strange about Paloma' was' after it hit here, not many media news picked it up, and the world around us didn't know about what had happened here. Seems most all news medias didn't get to much news about Paloma hitting here' so what was said was very little. My parents live near Ocala Fl. They didn't hear anything on the news for 5 days. We couldn't call out because cell towers were down and landlines were out also. We are a British Colony and as soon as the winds subsided enough the British War ships were here helping the needy. Three months pry to Paloma we were hit again by a Cat 3 called Gustav. That one was a nasty one too, but not half as nasty as Paloma. It's not a good feeling when you see and feel your home flying apart around you. AND there's nothing you can do but hope you don't fly with it. That's another story that would make this story a lot longer if I took the time to write it. LOL Maybe later.

Thanks for the welcome Lamar. Nice to meet you.
Take care.
BracGypsy!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center