cieldumort
(Moderator)
Fri Oct 29 2010 08:42 PM
Re: 91 L

Quote:

Err, what I said about the winds not really ramping up quickly... I could be mistaken, in a bad way.

Peak Surface winds of 62KTs and 30 second average of 59.8KTs ??? Maybe a squall or something? Maybe, but there's a lot of 45 - 50KT winds in the next set of High Density Readings

Believe that the 62 knot (71.3 MPH) SFMR estimate, being a 10-second average, really does not perfectly equate with a 30-second average of 68.8MPH, even though it can. But streching this out to a 1-min average, being a touch conservative perhaps, and calling it 55-60MPH instead, does looks entirely believable based on both satellite and microwave imagery, however.

Tomas is actually a pretty well-defined tropical storm, and I suspect its large size overshadows its other many qualities. Most everyone generally expects newly-formed, large tropical cyclones to be slow to the party, but Tomas has internal and external kickers galore going for it right now -- and these may continue to work in the tropical cyclone's favor for several days to come, more or less.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center