scottsvb
(Weather Master)
Mon Aug 22 2011 02:50 PM
Re: Irene the Year's first Hurricane, Passes Over Puerto Rico

Quote:

Irene has been trending NE of its projected path, so if this continues it might stay offshore from the FL and head into GA or SC. In addition she a bit strong then originally projected which should draw her more N. She was looking really good about midday yesterday but this AM is looking more ragged, so the island disrupted her just a bit. However she was projected to be south of PR just two days ago so I'm not buying a FL landfall at this point. Historical plots also favor a more NE trend. Outflow looks good on all side except the E where a pocket of dry air still remains.

I have to disagree somewhat with you in how she is.. I think she looks better than 24hrs ago..especially after going over land and small mountains of Puerto Rico. She has though always stayed 100miles NE of each Model point after 6hrs. Unless she starts showing a due W movement in the near term, Florida will be off the hook... which is 3 days out.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center