Nick Humphrey
(Meteorologist/Geographer)
Wed Aug 23 2017 02:30 AM
Re: Remnants of Harvey Likely to Regenerate in the Gulf

I must say, for a system that hasn't even (re)developed yet, it's absolutely shocking to have such high degree of model agreement on scenarios. Somewhat equivalent to multiple independent medical tests giving you the same bad news. It certainly appear incredible amounts of rain may be the biggest story with the system. Obviously if the system drifts into LA, so does the torrential rain threat.

The heaviest total forecast rainfall from the latest 00Z GFS would be for Houston. However, as some may heave heard, even "lighter" heavy rain in New Orleans could be disastrous given their recent drainage problems.

With all that said, I do have some concerns about the actual intensity as well. Temps in the Gulf head of Harvey are running in the mid-80s and with much lighter shear than it is initially facing now.

I think it is realistic for it to quickly become a hurricane if develops an organized inner core quickly. Given trends (as of tonight) I am hopeful advisories are started very soon to get the alert out as the Texas Coast is also very surge prone...beyond wind damage problems.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center