Steve C
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Aug 28 2017 11:10 AM
Re: Harvey's Second Main Event Begins

We had a nice lull in rain Saturday, and Horsepen Bayou at the high school (a sensor on my draining watershed) got a chance to drop below top of bank. But Sunday evening between 10p and 11p we had another really strong 45-60 min squall with a ton of lightning. Hopefully that will be the last bad one for a while.

For those that have been here, Clear Creek and Dickinson Bayou are still over the Gulf Freeway, which is impassible. We've had 24 inches of rain at my house since 10p Friday.

Ft Bend county is going to have a 1:800 year flood of the Brazos River; 59 feet. The 500 yr flood they have experience with is around 54 feet. Bay City is evacuating the entire town as of 1p Monday because they are expecting the Colorado River to fill downtown with 10 ft of flood water.

We feel very fortunate. It is relieving to see that my expectations on drainage for our house has been correct. The biggest issue has been the fear of power loss, because we don’t have a way to get out to, say, Austin and stay with my daughter. Fortunately, we seem to be on a high reliability power supply. There was only a 45 sec blip this time, and we only had blips during Hurricane Ike, whereas my Mom and Dad lost power in a neighboring subdivision—about a mile away—for a week.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center