Prospero
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Jul 12 2019 10:14 PM
Re: Tropical Storm Barry forms in Gulf of Mexico

Horrible situation.

I assume there is another discussion somewhere with more activity, I just have not looked.

This storm has me so discombobulated it is ridiculous. All day being obsessed with every storm, I have been watching satellite images and just staring at the animations confused. I'd think there would be a LOT of talk here, but we are in Florida so maybe not our discussion.

So question to anyone who has time to answer:

What in the world is this spinning thing that came out of the convection and swirled back around? For a while I thought maybe "this" was the center of circulation, as the center has been so vague to me. But it circled around another circulation. I've never ever seen anything like this in any of the countless storms I have watched.

Does this phenomena have a name? Is it described anywhere?

This is a 9MB GIF, so might take a moment to load up:

All day I have been fascinated by the "convection" that has stayed in place. To me it appears its own system being fed by Barry and sure looks like there is some rotation in there. I suspect I am very wrong, the only mention anyone anywhere says about it is that there is a "large area of convection" south of the center. I know it is over the Gulf's hotplate of water, so maybe why it stays in place, but it just looks like its own storm to me. Yea, I know, doesn't make sense. But nobody else is talking about it.

Can a storm be born on the edge of another storm? Has it ever happened?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center