cieldumort
(Moderator)
Sat Jul 13 2019 12:31 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Barry forms in Gulf of Mexico

Quote:

What in the world is this spinning thing that came out of the convection and swirled back around? For a while I thought maybe "this" was the center of circulation, as the center has been so vague to me. But it circled around another circulation. I've never ever seen anything like this in any of the countless storms I have watched.

That is one of Barry's many mesovortexes, and probably the most prominent one thus far. Agree that it could become the dominant LLC now that it is tucking under the deepest convection and has a chance to lock up with the mid-level center. Otherwise, it will have been the most impressive mesovort spinning cyclonically about the center thus far.

Should this mesovort link up with that deep convection and the mid-level center (which has been south of the surface center), it could lead to a period of more rapid intensification and possibly tug the TC more to the southwest or even south, for a bit, before the west to northwest to north forecast track resumes.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center