Mike V
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Aug 29 2019 04:58 PM
Re: Hurricane Prep List

Ed:

Quote:

Question on frequency of running generator. This is the 1st year I purchased a generator and had the house wired with a transfer switch. When power goes off, I plan on running the generator all night to power a portable A/C. During the day, how often should the generator be run to keep the fridge and its freezer as is?

I run mine 24/7 with the exception of a break ever 48 hours to change the oil. This is around a 1 hour break for the generator to cool down and then change the oil. Depending on the size of the generator, 5 gallons of gas will last between 10 and 12 hours depending on the load. Problem with refrigerators is that with no A/C on in the house, they tend to start getting warm fast.

I have a house built in 48 so there is very little insulation in the walls, and only around R-19 in the ceiling so it tends to get a bit warm. After Irma I ran the generator for 9 days using the schedule above. House never got cooler than 85 at night and it was in the low 90's in the daytime. The only refuge was the master bedroom where we had the portable A/C.

Mike V.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center