kspkap
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Aug 29 2019 10:22 PM
Re: Dorian Prep ASK/TELL

I now live in Long Beach, MS. We purchased a slab lot after Katrina hit (only thing remaining on US 90) You survived two of the worst storms to hit the US. My hat is off to you. The stories I’ve heard about Katrina broke my heart. Houses can be replaced, but people and heirlooms cannot. You give sage advice on what to take if evacuated. Antebellum homes reduced to nothing. Apartment buildings became match sticks. People lost loved ones, if not directly tied to the storm, due to heart attacks from the stress.

Long Beach and Pass Christian were swamped from a storm surge over 30 feet! The horror story of a man who survived Katrina by grabbing onto to something which floated by. Trouble was his skin was being stripped by all the debris slamming into him. Or the 911 operator who could only weep while listening to the screams coming from those who waited too late to evacuate. Rescue personnel cannot venture out after a wind speed goes over 50 mph. I recall Long Beach’s mayor at the time stated in so many words “News photos cannot show the true devastation. It’s as if a bomb was dropped on us!”

http://www.photosfromkatrina.com/

The storm Dorian, with its sights on Florida is a storm you don’t shake your fist at. Take heed people of Florida.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center