James88
(Weather Master)
Tue Jun 08 2004 05:41 PM
Brush or direct hit?

What actually defines a direct hit on a location by a hurricane? I've just seen some archives on Hurricane Allen:-

"The center of Allen did not cross land at any location until it moved inland north of Brownsville, Texas. It did a remarkable job of 'broken field running' through the Caribbean at speeds of 15-20 knots. The eye passed between Barbados and St. Lucia, Haiti and Jamaica. It then passed north of the Cayman Islands, and between Cuba and the Yucatan peninsula."

I did think at first that a direct hit was when the eye actually passed over a location, but then I found that the eye of Hurricane Fabian last year didn't actually pass directly over Bermuda, but it still registered as a direct hit. So what does define a direct hit?

Thanks

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center