MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Fri Jun 11 2004 02:41 PM
Re: Southern Hemisphere

The northern coast of Australia most definitely gets Tropical Cyclones, and sometimes big ones. Luckily most of that part of Australia isn't all that inhabited. Northeast and West Australia also get storms as well. I believe New Zeland is mostly free of them due to its more southerly latitude -- at least the big ones.

Thinking of Oz, probably Tropical cyclone Tracy is the big one there. It hit Darwin (on the northern coast of oz) pretty hard in 1974. At least that's the one brought up to me the most when I was talking with folks while I was in Sydney.

When you hear of no southern hemisphere storms, I believe they are talking about the South Atlantic. But that was blown out of the water by this years anomoly storm that hit Brazil. Needless to say, tropical systems in the South Atlantic all but never occur.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center