Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Aug 15 2002 06:53 PM
Here's my take...

When I hear the term "Gulf Coast", I think of Mississippi. When we were kids, every vacation was on the Gulf Coast. That might have been anywhere from Waveland/Bay St. Louis to Ocean Springs.

Florida has so much coastline that it's pretty much an entity unto itself. I guess the term Gulf Coast often refers to SE LA, MS, AL and NW FL. But in reality, it runs practically from Florida City all the way around to Brownsville.

When a storm is heading toward the (northern) Gulf Coast, there's also the chance that it will stall or take the NE curve while over water. Anyone to the right of the storm can be at risk. So anyone from Tampa around to Pensacola/Perdido Key needs to be included in advisories.

For the official answer, you probably ought to e-mail NHC/TPC and get their take (if they have one).

Steve

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center