Lysis
(User)
Tue Feb 01 2005 01:37 AM
Question regarding Storm Surge

As you can see here http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34792&an=0&page=0#34792 , I went through Hurricane Charley. I lived in Homestead during Andrew, so I am fully aware of the danger that wind posseses. However, Charley was my first major hurricane experienced while living on the water. Bieng a waterfront owner (well, sorta) in south Florida, I am quite concerned with the aspect of storm surge. I talked to some people who were here during Hurricane Donna (1960) and they said that the peace river was drained out during and before the cyclones eye. When the 2nd half of the storm came, so did the water ---resulting in massive flood damage. During Charley, I observed a strange shift in tides proceding the 2nd half as well. The water level got real low for a little while, and then gradually got back to normal over night. I live on the edge of a canal in Punta Gorda Isles, wich feeds into Charlotte Harbor. Given the geography of the area, uniqe angle, and speed of the storm, why did I experience no surge? When Frances and Jeanne clipped us, the water came over the sea wall flooding parks and low lying areas. Heck, even during back door cold fronts I get more of a wind driven surge than I got during Charley. I saw an image of Fort Myers, wich did not even get Hurricane winds, in which a hotel parking lot was submerged with a storm driven surge. As said before, Charleys olique angle proabably has somthing to do with this. So my question is, why did I not recieve a measurable surge during/proceding hurricane charley, and why do I get a more significant increase in water level during back door hurricanes (for example, like the Miami Hurricane of 1926)? I understand the mechanics of surge, and how it works ---but just not in corrilation with my geography. Thanks.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center