Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Tue Jul 12 2005 06:58 PM
Re: Project storm fury really a failure?

I dug some information from a book called "Weather" by Mel goldstein.

"In 1963, when Hurricane Beulah was seeded, surface pressure in the eye began to rise and the highst winds were no longer concentrated at the center. In 1969, Hurricane Debbie diminished in intenisty after seeding, but the question always remained whether these changes would have taken place without the seeding. Also the number of hurricanes that have been available for seeding have been relatively few. By 1990, because of mixed, Project Stormfury was abandoned."

I know of some wineries (sp) in Germany (very dangerous hail over there) that employ the seeding method by plane or SAM's(that's pretty cool ). So maybe it does work, i don't know!
Keep in mind it's also an issue of politics and religious doctorines that I am not ready to get involved in. Basically it would be a good science fair project if your dad was the president.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center