Allison
(Weather Guru)
Wed Jul 13 2005 08:06 PM
Re: Saffir Simpson scale question

Quote:

...exuse me, I know this is old, but I just wanted to know what you meant with bret in context with damage?

Hi Lysis,

Bret was a major hurricane in 1999 that formed in the Bay of Campeche, rapidly intensified to Cat 4 and headed due north, scaring the bejeezus out of us here in Houston....

Then, it made a quick turn to the left -- scaring the bejeezus out of Corpus Christi -- and made landfall on the South Texas coast near Kingsville as a Cat 3. Fortunately, this area of Texas isn't highly populated (literally more cows than people), and there are few structures along the coast, thus drastically reducing the extent of wind damage one might expect from a Cat 3 if, for example, it had hit Corpus Christi or Brownsville.

I believe nearly all of the damage came from inland flooding, tornadoes, beach erosion, etc., and not so much from sustained hurricane-force winds.

Hope this helps!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center