Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Thu Aug 04 2005 10:16 AM
The Name Game

Okay, here is a weather mind bender for you - and I don't know the answer - and I'm not so sure that anybody does, including the NHC (and I'm not about to call them either). Remember, this is a hypothetical question.

Scenario: Its late in the season and we've already set a record with 23 named storms. On December 6th yet another TD forms and it intensifies and becomes Tropical Storm ?????. It rapidly intensifies to a Category V hurricane with the lowest pressure ever recorded in the Atlantic basin and a few days later makes landfall - a sure bet that this name will be retired!

The first part of the question is easy for many of you (maybe): What will be the name of the storm?

The second part of the question is the hard part: Would NHC use this name? Even though the spelling is slightly different, phonetically it is pronounced the same. Now that should give you something to ponder over - any Mets want to chime in on this one?
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center