Steve H1
(Storm Tracker)
Wed May 10 2006 06:08 PM
Re: some general questions

Regarding your questions Christine, I wouldn't categorize a "weak La Nina" as good news, although there are other conditions that would have to be in place to make it a dangerous hurricane season. Any season that is La Nina or ENSO neutral could mean an active Atlantic season. I've heard this term misused recently, particularly by Glenn Richards in Orlando where he stated that the "current La Nina pattern is responsible for our westerly flow and contributing to our wildfires across central Florida." While a weak La Nina may have existed 6 - 8 weeks ago, it is long gone now and we're in a neutral pattern currently. Again, La Nina or neutral patterns generally mean more active Atlantic hurricane seasons, but other factors affect the outcome as well. Dr. Gray will have his update out June 1st or thereabouts. I believe this season will be another nail-biter, but with numbers closer to 2004. Where these storms go will depend on the axis of the east coast ridge (Bermuda high), which I believe will strengthen during August, and present a dangerous set up for the SE US and Gulf coastal areas as well..........western GOM quite possibly is ridging becomes dominant. Cheers!!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center