poolwatcher
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon May 29 2006 07:10 PM
Re: Hurricanes in FLorida

Every region has its problems. One thousand people every day relocate to Florida.

When you move to Florida, don't live right on the water if you dont want to worry about hurricanes (i.e. stay off the beach, stay off the banks of the Indian River lagoon). Make sure your house has a good roof with construction done with post Andrew building code== be sure its in good repair-- in my area, it was the older homes with older roofs that had the most problem. Buy hurricane shutters for all your windows.

Consider evacuating if you hate being in the heat with no electricity.

California's earthquakes look more dicey to me as do the Midwests tornadoes. I lost my house in Jeanne, and I still live in Florida. Its also a great business climate. The schools are rated as among the worst in the nation. The college system, however, is rated well (UF Gainesville).

Charlotte NC looks like one of the best areas of the nation to live in, in my opinion, if you are looking for relocation.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center