typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Wed Jun 06 2007 08:54 PM
Re: Barry Gone, Quiet Again

It is interesting to look at, but other than being in a tropical latitude it is non-tropical in nature.

My immediate impression of it was that it was being produced by an old frontal drape in the vicinity but there is no such feature in any analysis that I can find.

Be that as it may, the outflow from the heavy convection is pooling stable, slightly denser air in the NE and E Gulf, a process detectable by observing satellite. From visible imagery, one can discern S/SE low level winds (CU streets) moving into this complex and the leading edge of the outflow boundary is lifting this tropical air flow up to its conditional instability. This is erupting thunderstorms and then the mid level momentum (strong winds moving west to east through the vicinity) is carrying the rain and associated dynamically cooling air back east and away from the zone of lifting. This whole set up appears to be perpetuating its self because there is a steady source of warm humid air streaming into a convective system that is displacing the outflow away from choking off that source. It is likely this is a remnant MCC that moved off into the Gulf, and now is taking on different processes (non-tropical) in sustaining its self.

Interesting...

I would not expect any trouble beyond immediate mariner's concerns as the deep layer is very hostile to tropical development in that vicinity, at this time. From middle troposphere all the way up to upper levels there are strong westerlies (as described above) shearing across the area.

John

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center