audienceofone
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Jun 21 2007 02:13 PM
Hurricane Experiments

Does anyone know if there has ever been experimentation done with hurricanes along the lines of electricity generation? Looking at facts and figures about the shear destructive power of the winds associated with hurricanes and the fact that we've tried weakening them, despite possible environmental side effects, that maybe harnessing the energy associated with them would be good food for thought. I know it's not an easy problem and most equipment is destroyed in the most severe hurricanes, but we put a shuttle through the atmosphere, I'm sure someone could come up with something to try, at the very least. Maybe something like this has already been done? Thanks for sharing my curiosity.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center