danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Wed Jul 04 2007 04:41 AM
Re: inverted v and amplitude

I am not a MET, but I will give it a shot. One of the METs can do better with this question.

The inverted -v is the appearance of the tropical wave on satellite, surface and upper air charts. Best example I can find is located here: Inverted V

As for the amplitude question. Using the link above. Notice the amount of deflection (rise) in the inverted-v diagram.
The bottom line (labeled 10) would be considered a"low amplitude" wave.. if all of the remaining lines were of the same amplitude. The wave shown would be a "low amplitude wave".

However, the line marked "12" is of medium to large amplitude.
So I personally would consider the wave pictured on the link as a large amplitude wave. Mainly because it extends from 10N to 26N, in the picture. That is well over a 1000 miles.

Here is a link to a paper written many years ago by Dr Neil Frank, former Director of NHC. Who now works as a TV Met in Houston, Tx.
http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/097/mwr-097-02-0130.pdf

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center