bobbutts
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Jul 17 2009 07:05 PM
Re: Bill Gates Wants to Control Hurricanes

This would have to be done ahead of the hurricane, and then all the equipment moved out of the area before the storm hits. To me this would seem to be the biggest drawback since it requires an accurate forecast and lead time with dangerous and or expensive consequences. That means it's subject to forecast error, e.g. they could pump out near New Orleans and watch the storm pass by to Texas.

Beyond that, if I remember correctly, Katrina intensified over the loop current and deteriorated near the coast. It's common with N. Gulf coast storms due to some combination of landmass dryness, latitude, and other local factors. Regardless, the Storm Surge, the part of the hurricane that devastated New Orleans and much of the Gulf coast did not seem to respond significantly to the wind and structure reduction just before landfall. I don't see any expectation that this plan would reduce surge, and I don't see any reason to believe the damage from Katrina would have been significantly less with reduced wind..

Charley would have been a better example as it's intensification was very close to land and made landfall and had heavy wind damage but little surge damage. Knocking 5-10 mph off of the top winds there would probably have saved some money.

Regardless, this seems like a futile waste of time to me, the money would be better spent helping victims and designing better future storm defenses (wetland protection, stronger structures, better evactuation plans, etc)

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center