MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Wed Aug 31 2005 09:26 PM
Katrina Domino Effect

Today after work I couldn't leave for minutes because a line of traffic, headed toward a gas station nearly a block away, was blocking the roadway. I've got a full tank of gas before the storm, but the panicked lines for gas I saw today on the way home was unreal.

The Katrina Domino effect has started. More stories like this will come. The effect of Katrina is not just affecting the coastal regions, it's being felt everywhere, and I think this is just the start. This is the topic to discuss this effect, and what is happening as a result of the disaster.

Chesapeake Phil
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Aug 31 2005 09:32 PM
Re: Katrina Domino Effect

Moved from the other forum:

Quote:

I was driving down to Sebring tonight and every single gas station I drove past had a line - it is nuts. I mean, if you need it - get it I dont' see the reason to "top off" right now. Good grief...see how a little rumor can cause such problems. I will be interested to see how quickly they run out of gas now that we sucked em dry!

Long lines in Sebring - no lines in Boca. It tells you that the runs on gas are localized. And why? Because when panic starts in an area it spreads across that area quickly. I hope the locals in my two-bit rural county don't lose their heads. Hadn't yet when I drove home tonight at least.

Sheeper
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 09:33 PM

Ah, yes. Putting on my professional emergency management hat for a second this is part of what is called the "worried well". In most incidents, citizens will seek medical treatment even though they may not be injured by the incident. For example, in the World Trade Center incident on 9/11/01, the uninjured who sought medical treatment was approximately fifteen times the number of people who presented for medical treatment due to smoke inhalation. In the Tokyo subway attack, it was five times the number of victims experiencing chemical poisoning. For planning purposes, most experts calculate a ratio of ten-to-one.

Couple that with shortage panics, irresponsible/sensational media and you start to create a secondary incident.

Anton Ross
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 31 2005 09:40 PM

Here in Charleston we saw gas hiked anywhere between 20-50 cents in the space of an hour.

My father-out-law and his family live in Myrtle Beach, and they called this morning about their gas station across the street jumping the price from $2.70 to $3.25.

We were low on gas any way, and so we filled up at the gas station next to our store. About an hour later, when I went outside to stare at the sky (yes, I do that. It chills me out) I saw that the station had just bumped up prices from $2.69 (what we paid) to $2.99 for Regular Unleaded.

We drive a Subie Outback which gets about 28 MPG, which is pretty good. Our other vehicle...a 1969 VW Westy gets about 24 MPG...but now we're thinking about diesels. Father-out-law's Mercedes E300 (1995 model) has a diesel, and he is getting close to 44 MPG driving "carefully."

THAT's something to think about. Of course, my old 57 Nash Met used to get about 45 MPG as well. I miss my Mondo Met. I also had a 1973 Eldorado Convertible with a 45 gallon (extended) fuel tank. I can't EVEN imagine filling him (PHAT SAM) up these days.

/Anton - looking for used Vespas on eBay

LI Phil
(User)
Wed Aug 31 2005 09:44 PM

what was the date of that WTC thingy again?

Katie
(Weather Guru)
Wed Aug 31 2005 09:52 PM

I guess I will behave and post here where we were told to....

you'd better...i wouldn't wanna have to come down to winterhaven and smack you

Gas prices here are $2.79 in Winter Haven but the lines were long at EVERY gas station between here and Sebring on Hwy 27.

VandyBrad
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:00 PM

Prior to Katrina, Gainesville prices were in the neighborhood of $2.65. As of about 4pm this afternoon, they were up to $2.69. That's what my wife told me anyways. We are trying to minimize our consumption by only driving to and from work while making any important stops along these routes rather than making separate trips. Since I didn't see the stations myself, I can't comment on any lines.

Girlnascar
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:03 PM

As far as I understand, we here in Florida are one of the largest GAS HOGGING STATES! Its time for people of this state to step up to the plate and be a little inconvenienced for a short time. I did see a circle K gas station near Lake Ivanhoe out of gas about 6:30 tonight! Gosh I felt screwed. As I have been in my office all day not aware of the so called gas crisis-working on Hurricane Katrina claims from the Miami area!!!There are good folks down there that have very large and big problems too. I am worried so many people are hogging gas that its dangerous! Some of the people I saw putting gas in containers didn't look like construction people!!
Sorry I don't mean to beat a dead horse about the gas, but we really need to get the word out there that if we can just conserve a little it will work out, our fellow Floridians need our help. If I can't find gas for my car to get to work - I can't get to work to pay claims. simple but the truth!

weatherwatcher2
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:09 PM

I wonder if nascar will be racing? Do you think they use alot of fuel?

those cars get like 40 mpg

Sheeper
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:13 PM

i filled up today here in Vero Beach because i was worried there would be no gas left when the global shortage becomes public knowledge..

Nah...that's a lie. I filled up because i needed gas! I had less than 1/4 tank left. BUT i paid $2.74 (yes, for regular).

Prices will go higher because of supply/demand BUT i don't think we'll see systemic shortages. There may be (and will be) isolated shortages just due to shipping and demand. I worry about the price but not the availability.

VandyBrad
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:14 PM

Quote:

I wonder if nascar will be racing? Do you think they use alot of fuel?

Good point. I'd like to think they would reconsider if things got really bad.

Girlnascar
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:21 PM

Don't know since I don't represent Nascar, but if the pumps around the US are sucked dry by the weekend or next race, then they probably will have a problem just like everyone else, even though they don't use the same type of fuel that street cars use. No gas for the race cars, no gas for the fans to get to the race track, either!! Interesting question! I see where you are coming from!

weatherwatcher2
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:22 PM

Does anyone know if all of your red cross donation goes towards the hurricane victims or just part of it? Someone at work said that alot of it goes to buying the red cross new chairs etc.. I would like to see the breakdown but its not on their site..

weatherwatcher2
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:24 PM

just curious! We are big nascar fans. my husband also races locally at desoto speedway. hey that could go for any sport unless you walk there..

VandyBrad
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:26 PM

I plan to do just that this weekend! Walk to the Gator game that is. (~2 miles)

Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:26 PM

I'll echo that sentiment with Lakeland, FL I go to work at my school around 6am. On Tuesday morning going to work, gas was around $2.61. By the time I passed by on the way home from school around 3pm, it had moved up to $2.73. So, figure about 12 cents in 9 hours.

Today beat even that. My wife and I were going out to dinner. Passed by a gas station at 4pm. Price was $2.73. By the time we came by at 6pm after dinner, it was $2.79.

Whether it was coincidence or not, every gas station I've seen so far in Lakeland that spiked prices over the last 2 days has been a Citgo or a Shell. In fact, right now there are BPs directly across the street from Citgos (one by my house in fact) where the BP is holding fast to $2.63 while the Citgo is at $2.79. I can tell you with all honesty it will be years before I will ever get gas at Citgo or Shell again.

What I never understand (well, I know why, I just don't like it) is how the gasoline industry is one of the only industries that is always allowed to break the law without repurcussion. I worked in retail - I know how the industry works. I buy X number of goods at price Y. I want to make a profit, so I sell my goods at price 1.2Y (for a 20% markup profit). Now, I've already paid for those goods that are sitting on my shelf. If the cost to me to buy them suddenly goes up, it literally does not affect my instantaneous profit margins if I sell what I still have at my current price. If I want to buy more goods to sell, sure, I'll pay more for mine, but I can choose to raise the prices to cover that extra expense to me once I've bought and paid for that new batch. That's how it should work.

The gas industry, though, gets to hold us at gunpoint, as it were. Bob can have 10,000 gallons in the tank in the ground he paid $2.50 wholesale for, and he chanrges $2.69 at the pumps for profit. That's fine. Now, crude closes a little higher on the markets. Bob suddenly goes out to his sign and jacks the price up to $2.79. Did Bob have to buy more gas at a higher cost to him? No, not yet. It's the same 10,000 gallons in the ground.

How is that not considered illegal price gouging under many states' laws? In Florida when we had the hurricanes hit here, our Attorney General was going ape and hitting on stations like mad with fines/etc. So ... why aren't they doing it now? If that Citgo had a tanker pull up today and offload a full new tank of gas, I could justify his higher prices, since he's got to make his profit for that newer, more expensive fuel dump. I'm betting my butt, though, he didn't get a new tanker today. He's prospecting - trying to take advantage of "panic pumpers" to line his pockets. Sure, he's going to have to pay more for his next supply, but do you honestly think that he'd have absorbed that cost and not raised prices later? Yeah...I thought so.

This is what infuriates me the most right now. These people raising prices at gas right now should be held accountable by the law under the price gouging statutes. They should have to provide documentation of higher paid-for prices before they should legally be allowed to raise gas by a certain percentage increase.

I know, this is a myopic consumer view of the free market system, but it's one born out of frustration with the stranglehold the gas industry has on our lives. I'm watching countless images of devastation, loss, anguish, and I've yet to have my soul recover from the pain I feel watching it. And then I go out, to try and get some balance, and I come across gas stations profiting out of misery and panic, and it infuriates me to no end.

Girlnascar
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:28 PM

The BP on the corner of Chickasaw & Curry Ford is out of gas right now.

Anton Ross
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:36 PM
Gas Prices

I'm reading a lot of posts about gas prices in FL jumping 9-19 cents. That does suck.

However, we saw it jump 20-50 cents here in Charleston (SC). And honestly...I see no reason for it other than price gouging.

Granted, I know that the wholesale price of gas DID rise...and I expected to see some price increases...but NOT the insanity we saw here in the Lowcountry today.

I am furious.

/Anton - where the heck did I park my Vespa

Girlnascar
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:43 PM

Don't know if anyone can answer this, but why would we put all of our eggs in one basket so to speak-referring to 1/3 of the gas processing plants in New Orleans/Gulf . I know its one of the major shipping ports too has alot to do with, but are you telling me no one that is in charge of the gas processing in this entire Country never thought of anything like this and had no back up plan??? And why doesn't Florida have a contingency plan? Like California?

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:47 PM

I wonder....with the gas prices going up, the price per barrel of oil going up...who stands to gain from that? Obviously we as the consumer don't, but what about shareholders/stockholders of companies (exxon,mobile,amoco, etc...) don't they get a big chunk of change in their pocket? I am novice when it comes to gas and stocks, etc...so i am just wondering.....maybe some of you know. Like for example - who is in charge of raising the price per barrel? Why are they allowed to go so high as to make us have to pay over 3.00 a gallon?? Any ideas?? Hell, when they reported it on some of the news channels, they talked with a smirk...know what i mean? They seemed to have restrained jubilation about oil being over 70.00 a barrel and a gallon of gas maybe costing 3.00 or more. What in the hell??

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:51 PM

Interesting article about what's going on with the oil rigs in the gulf

http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2005/8/31/83553/8973#more

Girlnascar
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:58 PM

Heard Bill O'Reilly tonight say something about the US should ask the Saudis to lower what they are charging us per barrel which is $70. Because it only costs the Saudis $4 per barrell to process it!

Chesapeake Phil
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Aug 31 2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

I wonder....with the gas prices going up, the price per barrel of oil going up...who stands to gain from that? Obviously we as the consumer don't, but what about shareholders/stockholders of companies (exxon,mobile,amoco, etc...) don't they get a big chunk of change in their pocket? I am novice when it comes to gas and stocks, etc...so i am just wondering.....maybe some of you know. Like for example - who is in charge of raising the price per barrel? Why are they allowed to go so high as to make us have to pay over 3.00 a gallon?? Any ideas?? Hell, when they reported it on some of the news channels, they talked with a smirk...know what i mean? They seemed to have restrained jubilation about oil being over 70.00 a barrel and a gallon of gas maybe costing 3.00 or more. What in the hell??

I can't answer a lot of your questions, but the US market price of a barrel of crude oil actually FELL slightly today on word that the US Government is taking steps to increase supply. The problem now is a) refining the oil and b) distributing the gasoline. We are not on the verge of running out of oil. The market price of crude would have continued to skyrocket today if that was the case. The worries now are keeping up with the demand for gasoline (exacerbated by panicked runs on gas in certain areas) while having fewer refineries to work with and fewer ways to transport the gasoline. That's why, oddly, the price of crude oil could go down again tomorrow, while the wholesale price of a gallon of gas could go up.

The good news is that at least one of those major pipelines (someone posted a link earlier) is at least beginning to start back up, albeit at a lower-than-normal capacity.

LI Phil
(User)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

Heard Bill O'Reilly tonight say something about the US should ask the Saudis to lower what they are charging us per barrel which is $70. Because it only costs the Saudis $4 per barrell to process it!

i didn't watch mr oriley tonite, but i doubt that those numbers are correct...

oil is TRADING at $70/barrell...i don't think that's what the saudi's are CHARGING the us for theirs...the $4 per barrell figure also strikes me as quite low...

perhaps "oiltrader" can enlighten us

mojorox
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:41 AM

Well, I am an avid believer that we are almost at peak oil. There is little spare capacity available anywhere. If the post at the oil drum site is correct I don't see prices going down anytime soon. I am worried about how minimum wage people are going to afford to get to work, how prices for food are going to rise if truckers have to pay more for their fuel, and the loss of a big port in this region of the country.
Yes, I am afraid of a big domino effect if the gov does not get some kind of handle on this immediate problem real soon.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 01 2005 06:08 AM

Agree, agree, agree! I, too, am wondering 1) why fines are not being imposed immediately for this instant price hike, and 2) why, oh why, are we sent into an immediate shortage as soon as this whole thing unfolds? Are we really all flying by the seat of our pants in this country when it comes to how much gasoline is available to use at any given moment? It seems to me the shortage started before that storm even made it to the oil rigs...

THROWIN
(Registered User)
Thu Sep 01 2005 06:30 AM

I'm hearing that the problem with our gasolene is the lack of refineries. The United States has not built a new one in 20 years! These refineries are breaking down. Is this true?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9118331/

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Thu Sep 01 2005 07:33 AM

Here is the entire satellite photo database.

http://alt.ngs.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

It appers incomplete and put together hurriedly. The boxes are not placed exactly over the land they correspond to. Also the names on each are mislabeled (the Pascagoula one is actually points east; Ocean Springs is actually Pascagoula and Gautier). Many of the coastal areas (such as the portion of Ocean Springs south of 90 at the bay) were not photographed at all. Also the 2nd level zoom in maps are not geographically correct (Bay Bay Biloxi missing from the map) but if you know the area you can figure it out).

Looks like either a first pass, or they didn't have the resources to do as many as they normally did for Ivan or Dennis.

Everything on the coast west of Bay St Louis bridge (which is also gone, as are all the Hwy 90 bridges along the coast), is either slabs with no debris, or completely taken apart debris (piles of wood), including back bay and Jordan River area of BSL. SW of Waveland, continuing along the coast, clearly the area of strongest outflow of the surge, caused by the strong southern edge of the eye as it passed over. All the debris generated by the NW and W portions of the eye was sucked out. Deep east-west gouges were left on the shore with strips of sandbars piled up for 1/4 mile offshore.

Sheeper
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Sep 01 2005 08:12 AM

one of the reasons i started to volunteer with the Red Cross is EXACTLY because most of the donations goes where it's needed. The Red Cross consistently gets rated (by congress and consumer reports and other watchdog groups) as being one of the top 3 or 4 efficient relief organizations. The key thing when donating is to mark your donation for a specific purpose. For example make the check out to: American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Relief. Or you can mark your donation for the general disaster fund. If you just make a donation to the Red Cross without anything specific....well yes there are operating expenses and every dime for the Red Cross comes from donations of the american people. they are not funded by government or tax dollars.

Ed in Va
(Weather Master)
Thu Sep 01 2005 08:57 AM

Not sure where to post this, but a couple of administrative issues. The NRL map at the top has
not been updated since Tuesday. Also, the spaghetti models link on the main page is gone.

Katie
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 09:38 AM

Phil, I think you need to just come down here anyway regardless if I post in the right place or not!

Margie - I couldn't get that link to work for me.

I will have to stop and get gas today after work...I am not looking forward to it. I think I need to dust off that bike and start taking it to work.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 01 2005 09:55 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe NASACAR uses leaded fuel, which you cannot buy at a gas station.

Katie
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 10:50 AM
avitar

can someone please help me change my freakin' aviatar??? I hate posting it on here but I have tried it a million times over the past few months and I am ready to give up. shoot me a PM if you can help.

AmateurJohn
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 01 2005 11:31 AM

Reporting in from Lake Placid, FL. Just got in from running a few errands. One of the benefits of living in a small town is that just about everything can be done within walking distance of a central point in town.

Gas prices at the 3 stations I passed were 2.759/gal. at the Citgo on CR 621, 2.819/gal. at the Gate on US 27, and 2.899/gal. at the Shell on 27. All prices are for unleaded regular. There were no significant lines at any of the 3 stations. I didn't go into them, so I can't say if all grades were available. There was a tanker truck at the Gate station when I drove by. I assume it was there with a delivery. Prices at all 3 yesterday morning were right around 2.659/gal.

Ryan
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Sep 01 2005 11:38 AM

Katrina will effect gas and transportation al over the country, sporting events(superdome damaged and thousands of people in the astrodome), health of those in the water, west nile breakouts, and more

DebbiePSL
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 11:41 AM

Here in Port St Lucie most stations are 2.97 for regular and I saw a few, Mobil and Circle K was 2.89 It was 2.69 yesterday. No lines here so maybe the panic hasn't started here.

Littlebit
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 01 2005 11:48 AM

No panic or lines here in Plant CIty. Gas prices are averaging from $2.79 to $2.89 per gallon.

Sadie
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:00 PM

Bottom line.... gas is going to be expensive. It isn't easy, but we adjust as best we can. What concerns me a lot more is the fact that my power company (FPL) is calling for voluntary conservation from it's customers. And saying if we don't cut back, rolling black outs are a definate possibility!!

Girlnascar
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:03 PM

Yes you are correct John, Nascar car uses Leaded Racing Fuel, no longer sold at the pumps. Used to be a station in Sanford that sold it but that was years ago. Again I don't represent Nascar in anyway, but an avid fan. I have seen Nascar do many special things for their communities and in times of Crisis. I am sure we can count on the Nascar Community for a lot of money, help and anything else. They are low key sometimes with their efforts but I assure you whatever they can do will be done, whatever that might turn out to be.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:06 PM

The gas prices in Georgia are at 3.29 for reg - 3.599 for prem at the average station - there are some cheaper but by the time you drive there you have burned what you would save.

I have been thru many hurricanes when I lived in Florida (Camille, Fredrick, Eloise(lost everything and had a 6 week old), Opal) after Camille the gas went up then went down then was not available. The difference was we did not have news media creating frenzies.

It is time to hold the media accountable ----

Margie - I am so glad your brother is safe, we still have missing in several of the coastal cities(Gulf Port, Biloxi and Slidell) and I am not hopeful.

DebbiePSL
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:09 PM

I heard a Senator talking on CNN, and he said it will go up for a couple of weeks and then things will straighten out. He also said price gouging would not be tolerated.

Katie
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:09 PM

John - I grew up in Lake Placid and my parents still live there. I was actually in Sebring last night meeting dad for dinner - that is one thing I do miss about a smaller town! P.S. I was down there on Saturday for the auction and in shock over how much that town is growing! And so fast! Before you know it you will have 4 traffic lights instead of three!

Katie
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:15 PM

won't be tolerated but how are they going to stop it??? And how will we know the difference between? Either way, we are getting it handed to us....in not a nice way.

DebbiePSL
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:36 PM

I heard the BP station that had there gas for 6.00 was going to be fined. That was in Georgia and the gov. was furious. Someone posted last night they are going to be fined 10,000 per occurance

DebbiePSL
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 12:39 PM

I used to work in the fuel business and we had to be very careful pricing our gas at that time, if you got involved in a pricing war and you sold your gas for less than you paid for it we got fined. nothing happened if we raised the price??? go figure

dani
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 01 2005 01:47 PM

I'm from Pensacola, but live in Indiana. Several locations here have ran out of gas and our prices jumped 50 cents in one evening. Unleaded is at 3.18 and as high as 3.50 a gallon. My father in Miami reported that there were stories down there that Indianapolis had ran out of gas even before Katrina hit. I doubt the prices will go down any time soon, either.

LizL
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Sep 01 2005 02:16 PM

When i drove to work last night, ( from St Cloud to Orlando) the back way through Boggy Creek rd seen 2 gas stations with lines for about a mile and all the other stations were totally out, I work for UPS and what will they do when they run out of gas, this is going to affect all industries i am afraid to think i may get laid off cause of this so called gas shortage,
On a lighter note www.local6.com has a article that our governor said there is no gas shortage in Florida... Mean while we have to wait n see espically since thi sis a holiday weekend.

Domino
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 01 2005 02:32 PM

I am currently in Manila but my family is reporting to me in Indianapolis they are paying $3.19/gallon for regular. The highest spotted has been $3.69/gallon for regular in the Indianapolis area. Crystal Flash stations are no longer selling to the public as they felt it was neccesary to only sell to their contracts - which were police/fire/ambulance services. I can't blame them for that.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 01 2005 05:41 PM

It is affecting the northeast as well, I live in PA and threwout today gas prices went from 2.55 a gallon to 3.20 a gallon and still exspected to rise........

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Sep 01 2005 08:19 PM

Quote:

This is what infuriates me the most right now. These people raising prices at gas right now should be held accountable by the law under the price gouging statutes. They should have to provide documentation of higher paid-for prices before they should legally be allowed to raise gas by a certain percentage increase.

I know, this is a myopic consumer view of the free market system, but it's one born out of frustration with the stranglehold the gas industry has on our lives. I'm watching countless images of devastation, loss, anguish, and I've yet to have my soul recover from the pain I feel watching it. And then I go out, to try and get some balance, and I come across gas stations profiting out of misery and panic, and it infuriates me to no end.

Lets put this in some persprective. When I was in high school in the fifties, I could drive into town and fill up the '51 Hudson at the Standard station for $0.259 a gallon for leaded regular compared to $2.899 today at Citgo for unleadeaded regular (plus Frank at Standard had full serve then). I could then run in and get a bottle of coke from his machine for six cents while Abdul at the Citgo station want $1.29 for a bottle of coke. Later, i could got the the Post offfice and send a first class letter for three cents (thirty-seven cents now and due to go up again). Following that, i could go to Knapp's Dairy Bar and get a cup of coffee (full service) for a dime and the waitress would refill it for nothing. Stabucks wants $1.80 for the cup of coffee and $0.53 for the refill and you stand in line both times.

Mongo
(Registered User)
Thu Sep 01 2005 11:17 PM

Here's a story for you from Atlanta. My boss was telling me today that he was in line for gas yesterday and the price was posted on the sign at $3.19 for regular unleaded. After a 30-minute wait in line the people were finding out that the price listed on the pump was actually $7.99 a gallon. Egad. My boss said that the proprietor, a Middle-Eastern fellow (which certainly did not work in his favor with the particular flavor of crowd at the gas station), had to lock the doors and cover the windows to hide from the customers, many of whom had pulled guns. The man is lucky he is still alive.

Of course, he has now completely destroyed his own business as no one in their right mind would ever frequent that particular gas station again.

The highest price I've seen with my own eyes is $3.99, but that was down to $3.29 this evening.

Yep, we are getting gouged. Especially since the gas being sold by the gas stations was bought by them before the hurricane!

Brian
---------------
Quote:

I heard the BP station that had there gas for 6.00 was going to be fined. That was in Georgia and the gov. was furious. Someone posted last night they are going to be fined 10,000 per occurance

MsWickedWitch
(Registered User)
Fri Sep 02 2005 07:58 PM

Greetings..
Here in Central Illinois the ppg is currently 3.19 which jumped 40cents or more within hours on Wednesday.

What's the current situation with the airlines?

I'm heading to Tampa on Tuesday - any info for that area - including weather?

isolated to scattered t-storms. something tropical may be forming nearby or to the west... if models are to be believed. probably temps by day 85-90, night 75 or so. -HF

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Sep 03 2005 06:22 PM

Here in The Netherlands, in Europe we pay 9 dollars a gallon of regular.... We survive that too. We have been surviving it for many years now.

I must mention that the Dutch average salary here, after taxes, is well below the average in the US too.

Ronald

Chesapeake Phil
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Sep 03 2005 08:39 PM

Yes, and Europe has an exponentially better system of public transit than the United States, especially with regards to trains. Many major cities have local trains, but to get from one city to another by train in most of the country is a difficult, and often times impossible, task. Outside of the northeast corridor (say Boston to Washington, DC), Amtrak is barely a blip on the U.S. radar. In fact, it doesn't even serve a lot of major U.S. cities - and in the ones it does (again outside of the northeast coast), often times ONE route stops there once a day.

Rightly or wrongly, the United States is much more dependent on driving than Europe is. It's obvious we need to change that.

robynsmom
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Sep 03 2005 09:49 PM

Tampa's average ppg for regular is $3.19 at the moment. Not to many "outages" around though.

Christine HAdministrator
(Webgirl)
Sat Sep 03 2005 10:31 PM

I just wanted to say that gas at the station by my house is $3.69/gallon. I got it at a place about 20 miles away today for $3.14/gallon while visiting my grandmother.

BTfromAZ
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 04 2005 12:13 AM

Gas on the west coast is about $2.99 for regular. I think those of you in the east will see some relief shortly. We have no lines here and no shortgae. I think the reason you do have shortages has, up until now, been mostly because the pipelines bringing gas from east Texas and Louisiana to you were out of commission due to no power. They are back in operation now and will be running closer and closer to normla capacity each day. There is still a reduction in refining capacity and it remains to be seen how much effect that will have. The problems with crude supply, so far, don't mean much because of releases from the Strategic Reserve.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center