Kristi
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 07 2008 08:49 PM
Computer models

I live in south Louisiana, between Southwest Pass and the Sabine River, I looked at the AVNI computer model and it seems as though Hurricane Rita was closest to that model. Historically, how accurate is that model?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 07 2008 09:22 PM
Re: Computer models

well regardless of where ike goes it is pretty evident that south fl will feel some winds and rain. this system is massive and by looking at the radar it appears inevitable alot of florida will feel some affects especially if it has any northerly, wobble, jog, moonwalk or whatever. i bet when it arrives into the center of the gulf (if it does) it will encompass 90 percent of it..

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun Sep 07 2008 10:48 PM
Re: Computer models

AVNI, or the GFS, is one of the better global models. Historically it is not often the best but is often toward the top. However, I would not advise taking one storm -- especially from past years, when the model setup was different -- and using it's performance with that storm to predict what any other storm will do.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center