Lysis
(User)
Wed Mar 23 2005 06:20 PM
Hurricane Charley Movie Download (must see)

The wait is over:

mike c edit: Bittorent link please use this instead of the direct link if you know how
http://flhurricane.com/torrent/HurricaneCharleyDocumentaryComplete.wmv.torrent
Direct Link:
http://flhurricane.com/mcelroy/

The 344 mb complete version is the ideal one, so if you have a fast enough internet connection that is the one you want.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Wed Mar 23 2005 07:14 PM
Re: Hurricane Charley Movie Download (must see)

Note PLEASE use bittorrent for this, you can do a google search, it's a bit large. Flhurricane is seeding it. Otherwise you can download the parts individually.

Torrent link fixed as of 3:39PM EDT

You can download a bittorrent client called torrentstorm here

install and run, use File->Import Torrent File, then put the following in below:
http://flhurricane.com/torrent/HurricaneCharleyDocumentaryComplete.wmv.torrent

Then save a location to store the file, when it is done downloading you can launch the video file in media player.

Make sure you click on the file and hit the "play" button for it to start downloading. This will help distribute the load of the file and allow you to help share it for others and keep it from killing the flhurricane server.

Lysis
(User)
Wed Mar 23 2005 09:22 PM

So what did you think Mike?

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Mar 24 2005 12:42 AM

Excellent, I was at work earilier and wasn't able to view much of it. I

The part during the storm was very interesting, it was slow at the start, but after a bit you couldn't stop watching. The girl obviously was scared, but I'm sure everyone there was at times, including you. It certainly looks as if you prepared for maybe a cat 2, and it surprised you all when it came in as a cat 4. The eye, wow. Not many people get to live though that.

Thanks, the video will remain up and I'll mention it again in future articles.

Thanks Jeff, good job and thanks for sharing. I'm glad everyone there made it through ok.

HanKFranK
(User)
Thu Mar 24 2005 12:46 AM

lysis, nice. you captured the experience very well. i've had a lesser version at night.. the effects of the hurricane aren't quite as scary, but a lot more visceral by day.
i have a little commentary: the sequences are a little disconnected, but it's easy to gather from your film how quickly charley's core swept by. if you've got any editing ahead of you, you might want to add more time captions... if such info is available.
the satelite stills could be replaced by motion satelite... that'd be a hell of a chunk of work, to download all that and convert it. 'wonderful world' seemed a little out of place, but i guess most guys our age would probably slap in some hardcore or death metal in mindless cookie-cutter fashion... so kudos to ya there.
seeing the job you did has me thinking i'd be a real wuss not to go film the next one that hits the coast in my region.. dropped the ball wtih charley's #2 landfall and gaston last year.
again, nice work.
HF 0036z24march

HanKFranK
(User)
Thu Mar 24 2005 01:27 AM

i viewed the movie yesterday by downloading from the .wmv link and opening the file w/o saving it. just got the bit torrent download complete, but i can't get the file to convert to a .wmv.. it's stuck with the .wmv.torrent extension and won't play on winamp. any of y'all know how to get me past this problem?
hopefully i'm just pre-empting repeats of this question and am not just plain stupid.
later y'all.
HF 0117z24march

Lysis
(User)
Thu Mar 24 2005 01:29 AM

Thanks. This really a work in progress so any comments in this regard would be appreciated. I have alot more footage I would like to incorporate (all the major hurricane stuff is there already however). This was the 2nd time we have been through this (we were living in homestead in 92'), so I figured if our house was going to get destroyed I would like to have something to show for it. It was intense to say the least. You really have to listen to it with the surround sound blaring to get the full effect. Look for the “singing” during the second half.

EDIT: I would say, you won't get visuals like this from a storm like Gaston.

HanKFranK
(User)
Thu Mar 24 2005 02:27 PM
visuals

yeah, for a gaston-intensity storm i'd go play on the beach. it'd be a chancy thing getting into the eye of a four.. not just picking the right landfall point, but also finding a safe enough vista. being caught outside in charley wouldn't quite be a death sentence, but i don't like those odds. besides.. my hunk of coastline doesn't get hit very much. gaston and 2nd landfall charley are all that's gone on up here since hugo.
FYI, got the movie working again. just delete the extra extension is all.
HF 1418z24march

Lysis
(User)
Thu Mar 24 2005 05:55 PM
Re: visuals

I am still amazed how compact Charley was. Charlotte County Medical center recorded a 150 knot wind gust (170 mph) and they were farther from the storms center than I. Normally such a distance would merit no attention, however in a storm with an eye only 5 miles wide, and with hurricane force winds only extending out 25 miles, every mile make a huge difference. I would be interested to know exactly how strong the winds were at my location, and more specifically in the video I captured. I don't suppose anyone can tell by the visuals?

~Floydbuster
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 01:08 PM
Attachment

Based on what the video shows, I am guessing you recieved 135-145 mph sustained, gusts 150-160 mph.

REMEMBER, Hurricane Charley made it's first landfall in Cayo Costa, FL at 150 mph and 941 mb. Then, it's second landfall was in Punta Gorda, FL at 145 mph and 942 mb. Therefore, you probably recived sustained 140-145 mph winds.

Lysis
(User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 02:01 PM

The cyclone could not have weakened that much. I mean, the thing was only going over not even a hundred yards of mangroves at 20 mph. The eye was so compact that it was actually over open harbor (save parts of Pine Island) until it hit mainland Fl about an hour later. Remember, I am not inland Punta Gorda... I live right on the mouth of Charlotte Harbor.

Charlotte County Airport: 139 kts
Charlotte County Medical Center: 150 kts:

Lysis
(User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 02:09 PM

On an unrelated note, while we on the topic of landfalling windspeeds, I was wondering if anyone can ascertain if I have in fact experienced category five conditions in my life:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/1992andy.JPG
Our house at the time was around 214 street Krome AV (SW 177). A good visual indicator is that green radar spike.

~Floydbuster
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 02:31 PM

It hit the barrier island at full intensity...
150 mph/941 mb

An hour later, as it went up the harbor, the interaction with land caused the pressure to go up one milibar, and the winds to go down 5 mph to an intensity of 145 mph/942 mb.

THE OFFICIAL INFO:::
13 / 1945 26.6 82.2 941mb 130 kt Landfall near Cayo Costa, FL
13 / 2045 26.9 82.1 942mb 125 kt Landfall near Punta Gorda, FL

~Floydbuster
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 02:33 PM

Quote:

On an unrelated note, while we on the topic of landfalling windspeeds, I was wondering if anyone can ascertain if I have in fact experienced category five conditions in my life:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/1992andy.JPG
Our house at the time was around 214 street Krome AV (SW 177). A good visual indicator is that green radar spike.

Well, the eyewall passed right over you...so I would assume you had sustained winds of 150-165 mph gusting 165-180 mph

Lysis
(User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 03:27 PM

Yes, but in this field, what is official and what is reality often times conflict. I know what the official estimates are for all these storms... and they are just that --estimates. And at the risk of sounding like a total conspiratist, I will say that I am most interested in the unseen truth when it comes to these things.

~Floydbuster
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 09:20 PM

Wait, are you saying you think Charley was STRONGER??? 155 mph sustained AT THE VERY most in that video, although it seems the video has 135-145 mph sustained.

Lysis
(User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 10:14 PM

Naw, I am just saying that we don't really know. I think allot of storms are not given their due credit wind wise simply because it is generally impossible to accurately gauge them. Andrew was only given his category five status 10 years after the fact. Both of the maximum wind gusts during charley also destroyed the respected anemometers. Phil told me once, "in the end what is the difference between a strong Cat IV and a weak Cat V?" Either way the winds were incredible (that overturned motor home down my street can attest to that), and just maybe, they were a little stronger than we think.

although it seems the video has 135-145 mph sustained.
Who can really tell? Remember, I stopped filming outside well before the eye came. My mom made me come inside.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
(Master of Maps)
Sat Mar 26 2005 10:20 PM

Quote:

"in the end what is the difference between a strong Cat IV and a weak Cat V?"

The answer is: Exactly one mile per hour in wind speed.

Just kidding LIPhil ;-)

Still working on the next version of the maps. I guess we will need to keep up our efforts this season since NHC will not be changing their maps.

Lysis
(User)
Sat Mar 26 2005 10:28 PM

What did you think of the film SkeetoBite?

EDIT: Could you post a preview of one of your maps... I hear they are quite acclaimed.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
(Master of Maps)
Sat Mar 26 2005 10:56 PM

Well done on your film. I toured that area in November. Looked like Charley had hit just the day before.

Your information on the maps is correct. I will post something soon. We are attempting to eliminate the Microsoft base maps without losing the level of detail folks have come to rely on.

here is an example of the 2004 maps. Note that this map was based on a forecast and that the actual path differed:

Lysis
(User)
Sun Mar 27 2005 12:37 AM

Nice! I can't wait until next season (well, sorta). This will be my first as a member of this board.

Looked like Charley had hit just the day before.
Dude, you have no idea. Most of the houses here still don't have roof shingles.
By November we were mostly cleaned up. Of course it will be several years before all visual indications (save the new barrier islands forged by charley) are virtually gone. Even then it will never be as it once was. Port Charlotte still looks like crap, especially along 41 just coming out of PG. In Punta Gorda Isles, where I live, image is very important (although I highly doubt we will ever get "best place to live in America" again), so we cleaned up pretty quick. For a good little display of how tornadic the devastation was, take a look at my short movie entitled “Respect the Wind”, featuring the Van Halen song by the same name.

LI Phil
(User)
Sun Mar 27 2005 03:29 AM

I want to personally "vouch" for Lysis (aka Jeff) and his videos...they are amazing...Respect the Wind takes on a new meaning when you have someone in the eye and filming...

I also want to pump up "skeet" and his maps...he's being modest...

Although I don't want 2004 to repeat itself or even be a mere shadow of itself, IF it does happen...

CFHC will be the place to be for your maps, storm surge measures, evac plans, shelter info, etc...

If you need us, we'll be there...

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Mar 27 2005 05:26 AM

Quote:

I also want to pump up "skeet" and his maps...he's being modest...

Although I don't want 2004 to repeat itself or even be a mere shadow of itself, IF it does happen...

CFHC will be the place to be for your maps, storm surge measures, evac plans, shelter info, etc...

If you need us, we'll be there...

Geez, Phil...That's a sound byte in the broadcast business. That could be a new trademark...better send it up the ladder.

That said. Phil summed it up. Skeet's maps 'Rock'. And you won't find a more modest Marine anywhere! There may be some information that doesn't get posted on CFHC during Hurricane Season. I can't think of what it would be, and if you'll post or PM us, we'll try to fill that gap.

I don't understand why NHC/TPC decided not to change their maps. I saw an article that stated they received over 900 replies to their 'request for changes'. Most of the replies were along the line..."if it isn't broke, don't fix it". I'll agree with that, but you can fine tune the machine, and get more info out of it. Maybe we won't have to use the maps this year, Maybe.

~Floydbuster
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Mar 27 2005 05:36 AM

Some are trying to upgrade it to a Cat 5. They are saying a 173 mph gust in Punta Gorda, and a 180 mph gust at Charlotte County Medical Center should make it a Cat 5.

Well, Charley hit the area around Charlotte County Medical Center at 150 mph...so gusts up to 180 mph are expected.

It then hit Punta Gorda at 145 mph, so gusts to 175 mph are expected, therefore, a 173 mph gust makes sense.

By the way...there was 6 mph difference. Charley was not 155 mph, it was 150 mph.

HanKFranK
(User)
Sun Mar 27 2005 06:41 AM

this may not be a very popular view, since it differs quite a bit from the others on this thread.. but i don't think the spot winds at your place were quite what some are saying. from the video i'd estimate the highest winds being filmed are around 115/120 mph sustained... briefly. they probably did peak at around 135 mph at some point in the eyewall--keep in mind the highest winds recorded in a storm generally apply to winds over the ocean. friction from land really causes winds to drop off quickly, even in a fast-mover like charley. they probably did peak around 145 right against the harbor. it's sort of a tricky thing anyway--with strong, intensifying systems you get eyewall mesocyclones that work sort of like large F2/F3 tornadoes, causing an irregular damage pattern. at localities it really is a random thing. hydraulic forcing from features such as buildings and standing foliage (e.g., the wind accelerating between buildings) cause local-scale differences in the wind speed.
anyway, all that said, i mean to take nothing away from what you experienced. a lot of guys wouldn't have had the nerve you did to keep filming and not let fear overwhelm them. jeff, maybe when you get bored with hurricanes you can follow the grunts into combat.
later y'all.
HF 0630z27march

~Floydbuster
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Mar 27 2005 01:21 PM

Based on the damage near the end of the film, they DEFINITLEY recived Category 4 sustained winds of ATLEAST 140 mph, IMO.

HanKFranK
(User)
Sun Mar 27 2005 06:13 PM

you could be right about the peak. charley was compact and fast-moving... the kind of damage usually associated with such high winds didn't occur for as long as would typically be the case with a landfalling 4. if you check the damage parameters for a 4 on the saffir-simpson, much of what you see in the film is in the 3-4 range.. spots of 4, generally 3... there isn't the degree of widespread structural failure you'd expect typical to cat 4 winds. localized sfc friction variability, hydraulic channeling, or eyewall mesos are the only explanations i can think up for what you see on the ride-around video. depending on whether you're using 1 min, 2 min, or 10 min sustained winds, or the exact elevation of the anemometer and location in relation to surface features.. there can be several mph worth of variation in readings. to be honest i'm not even sure which the nhc considers to be the actual true measurement. but anyway you can get your answers or mine depending on what criteria you use. we can fuss about it all day, 'cause i don't know any engineers who can come and verify our reasoning. they'd all probably get slightly different answers too, anyhow.
HF 1902z27march

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Mar 28 2005 02:46 AM

I haven't looked at the video yet. Hank presents every angle of wind speed definition that I'm aware of. Different elevations, buildings and trees above ground. I remember Jim Cantore and Stephanie Abrams being blown around while doing their live shots.
The late Dr Fujita had developed a combination scale between the Fujita Scale and the Saffir-Simpson Scale. You could probably find it with a search engine. Basically interpolates the two scale and the visual damage differences.
http://www.friesian.com/wind.htm
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/satellite/satelliteseye/educational/saffir.html
Seems I recall reading about the mesocyclonic circulations around Charley's eye. I guess a simple comparision would be a large multiple vortex tornado. Many different directions and wind speeds in a small area.
I'll have to watch the video. Now!

Katie
(Weather Guru)
Tue Mar 29 2005 02:27 AM

Lysis as I have told you before, I think the video is great. You did a great job and I want a copy. I still need to find out how I can get you my footage from Polk County. It wasn't as bad as it was down your way but what I did get just shows how strong he still was by the time he hit us.

Skeet - I have emailed you personally before also to tell you how great your maps are! Seriously, awesome. Keep up the great job! I look forward to seeing more this season.

Katie

Lysis
(User)
Tue Mar 29 2005 07:46 PM
HanKFranK

this may not be a very popular view, since it differs quite a bit from the others on this thread.. but i don't think the spot winds at your place were quite what some are saying. from the video i'd estimate the highest winds being filmed are around 115/120 mph sustained... briefly. they probably did peak at around 135 mph at some point in the eyewall--keep in mind the highest winds recorded in a storm generally apply to winds over the ocean. friction from land really causes winds to drop off quickly, even in a fast-mover like charley. they probably did peak around 145 right against the harbor. it's sort of a tricky thing anyway--with strong, intensifying systems you get eyewall mesocyclones that work sort of like large F2/F3 tornadoes, causing an irregular damage pattern. at localities it really is a random thing. hydraulic forcing from features such as buildings and standing foliage (e.g., the wind accelerating between buildings) cause local-scale differences in the wind speed.
anyway, all that said, i mean to take nothing away from what you experienced. a lot of guys wouldn't have had the nerve you did to keep filming and not let fear overwhelm them. jeff, maybe when you get bored with hurricanes you can follow the grunts into combat.
later y'all.
HF 0630z27march

Naturally, I will tend to agree with those favoring a more intense storm. I will try to stay open in this respect though. When considering winds you must realize that I stopped filming outside well before the eyewall, and my visual record in no way indicates the storms peak wind speed.
All things considered, I believe (granted with a bias) that 115 to 130mph is just too low of a figure.

there isn't the degree of widespread structural failure you'd expect typical to cat 4 winds.

Hurricane force winds only extended 25 miles from the center of the cyclone. As such, the destruction, while extreme (and it was) is naturally going to be tornadic in profile, covering only a small area. To drive through the area is pretty incredible. You have extreme damage throughout Punta Gorda Isles wich borders the harbor, stopping just outside of downtown, and extending to a thin section of commercial structures bordering 41. Literally, five minutes of driving decreases the level of damage dramatically. While I am no damage expert, this looks pretty extreme to me:

You must also remember, building codes here are quite strict (150 mph I believe) and your analysis on wind speed in correlation to structural damage must take this into consideration.
You just didn’t see damage like that of my ending montage with Ivan or Jeanne.

jeff, maybe when you get bored with hurricanes you can follow the grunts into combat
Hmmm… sounds fun.

Lysis
(User)
Fri Apr 01 2005 06:39 PM
Attachment
Re: HanKFranK

Here is a little something I just made for perspective (white dot = our house)

hurricane_run
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Apr 03 2005 12:41 AM

nice and great documentary

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun Apr 03 2005 05:36 AM

HF - NHC uses 1 minute averaged winds for their maximum wind reports. The JTWC uses 10 minute averaged winds for theirs out in the WPacific; that makes some of those storms even more impressive. Most other agencies use 2, 5, or 10 minute averages.

I think some of the reason why the NHC didn't change the track maps, beyond the education issue noted in another thread, is that none of their proposed alternatives were all that appealing. They simply don't provide the information that is necessary if a change is going to be made to the graphic. GIS technology is getting advanced enough -- think Skeetobite's work -- to the point that the NHC should strongly consider using it in their applications. The NWS is testing it out with radar imagery, with impressive results. Maybe in future years we'll see a movement towards that, but the proposed alternatives weren't very good (at least IMO) this time around.

Regarding damage & wind speeds with Charley -- there is a lot of uncertainty when it comes to estimating intensity with regards to damage observations. Mesoscale (small scale) features are going to result in wide variations in damage over small areas, especially in a storm the size of Charley. Tornado intensities are only measured by the amount of damage they cause; if a strong tornado touched down and didn't hit anything, it may only be rated an F0 or F1 when, in fact, it was much stronger. Similarly, something of F2 intensity that levels everything in its path may be rated an F3 by one observer and an F4 by another.

While the damage estimators are trained in the field, it is really a very subjective process; two people can come up with vastly different estimates and still not be right. Trying to use these estimates when looking at hurricane damage is going to result in the same uncertainty. Thus, I feel it's better to take the "truth" observations from what instruments were available as the closest thing to being accurate, all while keeping the caveat in there that the true intensity of the storm may not have been accurately sampled by the available tools.

With a storm of Charley's size, the mathematics show a very rapid drop off in intensity as you move away from the center of a storm; just barely missing the strongest winds may result in you receiving winds 10-15mph less than the maximum observed. Regarding gusts within a storm -- while the nature of a tropical cyclone tends to supress convective downbursts, once the storm has moved on land, this tendency erodes (due to friction and a lack of moist inflow), allowing for the strongest winds associated with the storm (found about 1km up at the top of the boundary layer) to be transferred to the surface as gusts within downdrafts. Slightly stronger gusts may be found a bit further inland from the coast as this tendency erodes; a 170mph gust is not out of the question for a storm of Charley's intensity a few miles inland.

I don't think anyone's really off base here, just that there's a lot of uncertainty in taking video observations to assess wind speeds with a storm.

Lysis
(User)
Mon Apr 04 2005 02:13 PM

Thanks for the (as usual) great post Clark. I agree that a serious grain of salt should be taken with such matters --specifically considering the existence of mesocyclones, tornadic activity, etc. in such a small storm like Charley. However, when having the right front quadrant/eye of any given storm rotating right over you, what does the size of said storm matter? Not to undermine your very important point concerning incredulous wind speed measurements.... but what is your estimate? Not so much on what I taped, but more so with what happened at the cyclones peak in my area.

~Floydbuster
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Apr 06 2005 06:15 PM
Attachment

Also remember, Lysis, you (PUNTA GORDA) were in the weaker part of the eyewall, as seen in the attached image:::

Lysis
(User)
Wed Apr 06 2005 08:10 PM
Attachment

Remember, Charley was moving at an oblique angle, so it was Punta Gorda, not Port Charlotte that got the right front quadrant. I go into Port Charlotte every day, and know the area well. Save for a few miles to the north east up 41, Port Charlotte is not nearly as messed up as Punta Gorda. Granted, it was still bad, but not nearly as devastated as downtown Punta Gorda, and Punta Gorda Isles (where I live). Black dot = PGI:

Lysis
(User)
Wed Apr 13 2005 09:31 PM

I hope the recent downtime had nothing to do with my movie.

HanKFranK
(User)
Wed Apr 13 2005 10:45 PM
videos/quadrants/crashes

Naw man, it was a hosting issue.
Knowing specificially where you are doesn't change my thought on the intensity, but you were in the right quadrant of the storm.
I keep watching that video, showing it to folks. It's quite a bit more than I remember from my inland Hugo and Opal experiences. To be honest, I'm a little bothered by how much it fascinates me.
Make more videos, man. I want you to crash to the site if we can get some.
HF 0039z14april

Lysis
(User)
Thu Apr 14 2005 07:46 PM
Re: videos/quadrants/crashes

Make more videos, man. I want you to crash to the site if we can get some.

Heh, thanks for the feedback (Phil diddn't give you any lip did he?) and be sure to show it to as many people as you can. I have received enough positive feedback here in PG that I have started selling a dvd version of my film locally. Perhaps I could begin an online venture. I am very critical of myself, so (intensity aside) I am a bit concerned that my movie may not be any good. With the money I get (that is, assuming I get any), my ultimate goal is to by an HD camera and be the first person in history to film a hurricane in High Definition. We have good friends in both West Palm Beach and Miami. One of the things which I liked about my film was the fact that I was in my own home. I am worried that if I go chasing after a storm I will loose this appeal. I think a movie while at my friends house retain this, as we would be there to help as well. Either way, while I don’t wish a storm on this community or any other, if one hits in South FL, I will be there to film it.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sun Jun 19 2005 05:52 PM

The video serveri is down right now, should get it back up sometime during the week.

Prospero
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jun 19 2005 09:17 PM

The BitStorm developer is out of business. I downloaded BitTornado, however the window tells me I get "HTTP error 404; Not Found"

Did I miss the boat?? I'd love to see the clip. Is it still up?

Prospero
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jun 19 2005 09:19 PM

Quote:

The video serveri is down right now, should get it back up sometime during the week.

Ok, I didn't see the post...

Lysis
(User)
Sun Jun 19 2005 11:27 PM

Heh.... you could always buy the dvd from me.

markieb
(Registered User)
Wed Jul 06 2005 12:15 PM

As of July 6th using Bitlord I get "TRACKER RETURN CODE 404 STOP" Is the server still down or is there an alternate site to download this torrent?

adogg76
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Jul 06 2005 02:24 PM

Am I the only one who noticed that all the damage you recieved....ALL OF IT....would have been much less severe had you CLOSED YOUR STORM SHUTTERS at the beginning of the storm as opposed to during the EYE???
I mean, not to insult you.....but wasn't there an editing process?? Maybe something I might have left out, lest an insurance adjuster notice such a....I was going to say gross neglect(just did!)....Come on, we all want to see what is happening but that was an action that LED to more damage, and possible injury.....Maybe as Dennis approaches......we will ALL learn something and CLOSE our storm shutters....in case there is a STORM!!!!

Lysis
(User)
Wed Jul 06 2005 07:04 PM

Oh don't worry... we showed the insurance guy a different version. We didn’t really prepare as we should have and we knew it (my dad is an old hurricane vet), and leaving the shutters open was a major boo boo. Actually, we opened them up a little so we could see well. Despite what could have happened, no damage occurred due to the shutters being open. They were not facing the wind (notice how we could stand on the front porch) during the first half of the storm, and the house was actually penetrated through the boarded-up side. Debris broke through the wood holding the door in, the door flew open, and wind came through the house and knocked the sliding glass door down on the porch where the shutters were open. Notice during the 2nd half we closed them, as the winds shifted. I put a disclaimer before the film, and I will reiterate again, “if a hurricane threatens your area, properly and completely board up, and better yet, leave. As far as it being insulting to me… don’t worry about it. It was awesome footage, was it not?

And, Markieb,
if you have any problems downloading, please talk to MikeC, as he is in charge of the server. If Dennis just so happens to affect Punta Gorda or the surrounding area, I guarantee you, we will do things differently. Thank you for your concern. : ) Enjoy.

adogg76
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Jul 07 2005 12:45 PM
Attachment

HEY!!!
I AM that insurance guy........
jsut kidding...i just found that to be an oddly disturbing observation....GREAT footage.....My family orgainized a truck full of supplies and delivered it to Port Charlotte 4-5 days after.....just a lil help from Palm Bay......of course we had no idea we would need the help a short time later.......unfortunately I believe Frances and Jeane brought another false sense of security to us on the East coast.......it was nowhere near as bad here as it was after Charley......and though there was damage here.....it was mostly cosmetic, unless you were beachside......I know I know...people lost a lot of shingles.....but their houses were still standing!!
I also grew up in your neighborhood and went to that gas station that was leveled, by the causeway, about 100 times.....remember times at the Punta Gorda auditorium too!!! We probably stayed at the Holiday Inn there too, or whatever it WAS!!!

In fact i thought you may have been living in my grandparents old house for awhile, same model type tho I believe.......I know you like to think you went thru the worst of it......I was on Easy St. in PT Charlotte, homes were structurally damaged, walls and roofs, not just a doorway......not trying to minimize your experience....just offering my obs.....Funny how the only buildings that sustained NO DAMAGE were the Walgreens and Eckerds......the company that built those, are building my next home!! Is it ok to post a few pics of my experience here??

Lysis
(User)
Thu Jul 07 2005 03:23 PM

Sure... I wouldn't mind. You could make your own thread if you want as well. You may be right about a small section of Port Charlotte just across the bridge... also, I don't think the houses were built as well over there, so that probably has alot to do with it. Thanks to people like you (and I thank you dearly) we were up and running in about three weeks. Some people a few weeks more. That is awesome as compared to an unrenting three months with Andrew. Again, thankyou for your contribution.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Jul 07 2005 08:08 PM

The Torrent was only up when the video was initially released

The videos are down during Dennis, the Link flhurricane on is already saturated bandwidth wise (still at old T-1 link) and I haven't moved to a new colocation facility yet with better bandwidth. All the images are already offloaded to other networks, so it's pure text saturating the link.

Therefore, videos down until Dennis has passed.

sullynole
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Jul 13 2005 09:45 PM

hello... just wondering if the video will be back up soon with Dennis gone? Thanks!

markieb
(Registered User)
Tue Jul 26 2005 04:46 PM

Hey MikeC, I noticed the forum crash and loss of a few posts. Just checking to see if and when the torrents for the Hurricane Charlie Video will be reposted. Last time there was a post stating the video was back but BitLord would show TRACKER RETURN CODE 404,STOPPED!! But then again this was just befor the forums crashed! Just wondering!

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Wed Jul 27 2005 01:58 AM

The videos are back up now, the Torrent link is gone, it was up for the initial release of the video for a while.

The videos will get pulled again if any of the waves threaten land.

nccathy
(Registered User)
Wed Jul 27 2005 02:07 PM

When you say they are back up, where would I find them? I have been trying to watch them for weeks, but keep getting error messages from windows media player.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Wed Jul 27 2005 04:02 PM

Yea,Where is it?????

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Wed Jul 27 2005 04:51 PM

See the first post in the thread -- http://v.flhurricane.com/mcelroy/

It's the big one you want for the full thing, or alternatively download it piecemeal.

nccathy
(Registered User)
Wed Jul 27 2005 05:09 PM

Nope. It still gives me a message that the server is down.

TAZMAN
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Jul 27 2005 06:01 PM

Link works just fine!

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Wed Jul 27 2005 07:01 PM

Are you trying the .TORRENT link, or are you trying the large .wmv file? I'm having no problem trying to get the wmv file...the torrent, however, as Mike said will not work.

Lysis
(User)
Wed Jul 27 2005 07:20 PM

hey... I would be happy to sell you all dvd's if the link doesn't work. Just send 20 bucks to my adress.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Jul 27 2005 11:39 PM

hmm, link doesnt work.
It only downloads about 17mb, then it jumps foreward and says its done.
So only about a minute and a half of the movie actually get downloaded....

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Jul 27 2005 11:41 PM

If someone wants to send me a full copy of the video from another server, or wants to ftp it...
I would be happy to host the video on my servers... I have plenty of bandwidth, and the file should be able to distribute at max line speeds.

I am a registered user here, I just dont feel like signing in...

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Jul 28 2005 12:12 AM

Oh, and windows MP is definitely saying that it is a server error, not a problem with codecs or updated windows media.

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Thu Jul 28 2005 01:08 AM

Don't know why that would happen; you are downloading the entire file from the server, not needing to connect to it for anything.

Go to the website and, instead of clicking on the link, right click and choose "Save Target As..." Let the file download completely, then load it in Windows Media Player. See what happens.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Jul 28 2005 02:05 AM

Yah, tried that..
It really is strange, I have never seen a dl behave like that.
It just gets to this one point (14MB) then it jumps from 3 percent complete to 100 percent complete.. and all I am left with is the first minute or so of the video.
I can't imagine why this would only effect my computer, especially after the server side warning wmp gave me when I tried to play the streaming version.

Someone mind trying to dl the file, the whole file.. and see if the jump from 3 percent to complete happens to them? Cause it definitely appears to be dl'ing fine, right until you get to 14-20MB downloaded, then it goes FUBAR.

sullynole
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Jul 28 2005 04:34 AM

Quote:

Yah, tried that..
It really is strange, I have never seen a dl behave like that.
It just gets to this one point (14MB) then it jumps from 3 percent complete to 100 percent complete.. and all I am left with is the first minute or so of the video.
I can't imagine why this would only effect my computer, especially after the server side warning wmp gave me when I tried to play the streaming version.

Someone mind trying to dl the file, the whole file.. and see if the jump from 3 percent to complete happens to them? Cause it definitely appears to be dl'ing fine, right until you get to 14-20MB downloaded, then it goes FUBAR.

yes, I have received the problem since it was reposted after Dennis It is definitely some kind of server side problem. Maybe a download limit or server being overloaded. There has been a lot more traffic to the site with hurricane season in swing. The most I have been able to d/l at once with a high speed connection is about 120 mb. That was one time late at night.

I don't know if there is anything Mike can do to help us out here... it is a very large file... maybe host it on another server? I'm just hoping one time I get lucky... although the problem will compound since it causes one to have to re-d/l the file from the beginning every time he gets kicked. I could have downloaded it 5 times+ by now! :-p

laxpimpj
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Jul 28 2005 06:04 AM

Heh, well atleast we know that a problem exists.

Like I mentioned earlier, I can host this file on a very fast connection for free.
I just need someone to send me the complete file, obviously in a different method than the current server. You can either ftp it somewhere, or make a torrent out of it again.
I will dl it and host it for as long as needed.
You can email me @ laxpimpj@gmail.com

TAZMAN
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Jul 28 2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

I am a registered user here, I just dont feel like signing in...

I think you'll get more out of you offer now that you did...........

nccathy
(Registered User)
Thu Jul 28 2005 06:52 PM

I tried piecing them together when I couldn't get past "buffering 3%" of the complete version. I can watch portions of the smaller videos, but #3 says it is incorrectly linked, and 4 of the others only buffer a portion and then give the server error message. For what it's worth the small portions I was able to watch were spell binding. I was very pleased that I was able to get all of part 6 with the music and everything. That chapter, for lack of a better word, was kind of a surveying of the area after the storm had passed and it really captured the extensive damage surrounding the landfall area. I didn't notice a lot of flooding, which seemed strange.

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Jul 29 2005 01:32 AM

Quote:

Heh, well atleast we know that a problem exists.

Like I mentioned earlier, I can host this file on a very fast connection for free.
I just need someone to send me the complete file, obviously in a different method than the current server. You can either ftp it somewhere, or make a torrent out of it again.
I will dl it and host it for as long as needed.
You can email me @ laxpimpj@gmail.com

Hey laxpimpj

I did download the whole video, I will send it over yousendit.com so you download it. It's 343mb though.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Jul 29 2005 02:06 AM

No worries m8, someone sent me a copy earlier.
I am hosting it @
http://www.suprbash.org/vip/laxpimpj/HurricaneCharleyDocumentaryComplete.wmv
for anyone that is having trouble with the dl on the first page.

TAZMAN
(Weather Watcher)
Fri Jul 29 2005 11:52 AM

Down loaded completly..... 100%, but never finished !!! never place it on my desktop ! over an hour worth of waiting for nothing

nccathy
(Registered User)
Fri Jul 29 2005 01:12 PM

Thanks for making it possible to watch that.
All I can say is "WOW".

TAZMAN
(Weather Watcher)
Fri Jul 29 2005 01:16 PM

finally got it !!! I second that... holy crap!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jul 30 2005 04:58 PM

laxpimp....you the man (or women)....glad they took you up on your offer....10 minute download...Thanks

Lysis
(User)
Sat Jul 30 2005 05:43 PM

if you have any questions about anything that happened in the movie, feel free to pm me or ask them here. I am glad to see that it is working (allbiet a little supprised that all this transpired without my knowing of it! I have been out of town for the last day or so, and I was going to upload the file to the server myself. )

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Jul 30 2005 05:51 PM

I live in Pensacola, on Gulf beach highway bordering Grande Lagoon at 25 foot elevation and stayed for Ivan. I shudder to think of Charley's wind combined with Ivan's flooding and surge.....

Lysis
(User)
Sat Jul 30 2005 06:00 PM

Well, Ivan’s winds were not exactly a cakewalk, as I am sure you can relate.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 31 2005 12:45 AM

The winds made for a long night. Coincidentally, this months National Geographic features the 2004 Florida Hurricanes. Good pic of Grande Lagoon......I live out of the picture on the top of the hill across the road....It was eerie riding the bike that morning around the area with the wind still blowing a bit before the authorities and others arrived. I didn't even know there were some still trapped.

yecatsjg
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Jul 31 2005 12:51 AM

Finally got the movie to work -- it was great. Thanks for sharing!

Stacey

Lysis
(User)
Fri Aug 12 2005 11:02 PM

This August 13…

Experience the horror

The fury

The destruction

All

Over

Again.

Hurricane Charley

The Film

Watch the movie again tomorrow, and relive Charley. I will be at the park here filming the unveiling of a monument marking the one year anniversary. I will add some pictures of the event tomorrow. TWC should have a live feed going, so maybe you guys will see me. : )

Lysis
(User)
Sat Aug 13 2005 06:46 PM
Attachment

EDIT: I see people are downloading the attachment. It is the same image that I took above, so you don't need to.

MissBecky
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 20 2005 01:45 AM

Anyone interested in watching Charley's approach to Southwest Florida can go here.

www.nbc-2.com

Scroll down to Online Segments and click on Hurricane Charley: Moment by Moment. You can watch video and read an hour by hour account of the day Charley made landfall. It was hard to watch the video. I found myself watching the 2:00 p.m. video feed from Ft. Myers Beach and suddenly my chest felt tight. It was like I was suddenly there again, sitting on my couch, watching the constant satellite feed, wondering what to do next. It's very interesting viewing, that's for sure.

Ryan
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 20 2005 02:22 AM

thanks becky

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Aug 24 2005 10:17 AM

The Army Cor Of Engineers reported that Gusts in Charley were as high as 185 mph and possibly in excess of that. All I know is in order for wind to pick up a 3 or 4 ton U haul truck and toss it 50 feet into the center of a liquor store.. Think about that one for a few mins.. Survived Charley in a local hospital in Port Charlotte, and it was definitely an experience.

ChuckS
(Registered User)
Tue Apr 04 2006 06:27 PM

Is this movie still available for downloading?

Thanks!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center