MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Tue Aug 29 2006 07:31 AM
Ernesto Conditions in Your Area

Right now it's a fairly normal clear morning in Orlando next to Universal Studios, but it may change tomorrow. Let us know how your area is doing here.

nl
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 29 2006 07:35 AM
Re: Ernesto Conditions in Your Area

hey mike how you think we will do here in nsb. i live 5 mins from the beach. mile from 95. what should we respect?

B.C.Francis
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 29 2006 07:59 AM

Clear and beautiful here on the beach in Indiatlantic. Big change coming tomorrow. Looks like a lot rain in the forcast. ......Be safe.......Weatherchef

Heather
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 29 2006 08:02 AM

Pretty morning here in Sebring.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 29 2006 08:30 AM

Calm and sunny in Plant City, tomorrow holds another story.

beachgirl1251
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 08:37 AM

Beautiful sunny day on Singer Island

LisaC
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 29 2006 09:05 AM

A beautiful sunny morning today in Ft. Lauderdale. Things are expecting to change this afternoon.

twistedone
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 11:04 AM

Perfect here in St.Pete...

JMII
(Weather Master)
Tue Aug 29 2006 11:10 AM

I'll be updating conditions in my area (as long as there is power of course) on my blog at: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JM2/show.html

On the right side-bar you'll notice some local home-based weather data collection stations where you can get some good info.

jlauderdal
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 29 2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

I'll be updating conditions in my area (as long as there is power of course) on my blog at: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JM2/show.html

On the right side-bar you'll notice some local home-based weather data collection stations where you can get some good info.

link to obs from my station...

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLFORTL14

rmbjoe1954
(Weather Master)
Tue Aug 29 2006 12:25 PM

It's hot here (lol) and about to encounter a passing shower from the SE in Port Saint Lucie.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 29 2006 02:51 PM

-Pompano Beach FL, 1 mile west of I95) Winds picking up a tad (around 18mph)... and some short showers occasionally...

TBRech
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 02:55 PM

Overcast in Collier County (east of 951), no rain bands yet. Opps...they are starting to come over, now the radar images coordinate with what is happening outside. Wind is picking up with gusts to 16 MPH.

LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 29 2006 03:11 PM
North Miami Beach - Bobbi

Very beautiful at the beach, strong rolling waves, heavy surf and got heavy fast. 10am was nothing, by Noon looked like a real storm was really out there..

Had a strong band come through before, now quiet but barometer dropping and getting windy and layers of clouds coming in..

I see it on radar, i saw it at the beach.. telling you this is more than 45mph.. id say 55.. don't laugh, for sure 50 and yet it doesn't seem to show when recon is in...

might not be a cane but you can tell something is happening..constantly heavy wind and has that feel

Band looks like it is about to blow in, trees really moving about wildly.

thats all for now, i lose power easily so one good gust and i am gone.. will read the board on the sidekick

furkidsmom
(Verified CFHC User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 03:50 PM

Hey Almost Neighbor!!

Pretty here in Satellite Beach too! A little wind has picked up, but the sky is beautiful!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 29 2006 03:58 PM

Hi TBRech, I have a home in Naples. A post updating the situation tomorrow would be greatly appreciated if ou have both time and power.

Thanks in advance,

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 29 2006 04:12 PM

Hello from DAde City...It is nice and sunny and very very hot here....It will be a nice change to get some wind around here....I hope all stay safe and keep an eye on the sky...

TBRech
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 04:51 PM

Massboy, will be happy to do this. Right now things are calm. I will be sheltering in place. Don't know if I will even close the hurricane shutters until later.

LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 29 2006 06:04 PM
Re: Ernesto Conditions in Your Area-Miami

Had one heavy band of rain earlier and then relatively quiet. Nice wind... No one outside, everyone seems to be going with staying in and eating their hurricane supplies up I suppose.

A strong band is to my east about to come in and the Christmas Palms in front of my house are rattling and dancing in the not so strong breeze.

Let's see what this band has to say.

Surfer weather for now... waiting to see if there is any real weather here..

TBRech
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 07:07 PM
Re: Ernesto Conditions in Your Area-Miami

TV (ABC and NBC affilates) are reporting that the power to Everglades City went out during an earlier squall.
So far we have just had some rather ho hum rain. Keeping my eye on the radar. We are under a tornado watch. After Wilma this should be better, but the anticipation is not fun. I always wonder if I have done enough. Our county did open some shelters for those who still have not recovered from Wilma.

docrod
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 29 2006 08:00 PM
Attachment

Greetings from Key Colony Beach MM 51 US1; it's nearly 8pm and finally I feel like I'm in a tropical storm, it is TINY. Wind due north nearing 25-30 knots above (not at the surface) and steady like it should be.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 29 2006 08:50 PM

Coral springs - Rain finally started.. winds around 20 to 30 mph... pretty easy going as of right now.. don't expect that to change much.

Robert A
(Verified CFHC User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 10:53 PM

Almost 11pm, still calm in Orlando. Maybe a couple quick wind gusts, but nothing that would indicate anything more than a "usual/typical" storm.

hisnamewas
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 29 2006 11:51 PM

not much of anything here in boca other than rain. winds from the palmetto beach are about 23mph (not sure of accuracy of the reading)

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Aug 30 2006 03:48 AM

Virtually no damage in the Miami area - our summer afternoon showers tend to be more intense.

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 30 2006 05:09 AM

Good morning from Naples, where we currently have light rain and light wind. That's all. I even slept through it. Hope that it stays the same as it travels northward. I used to live in PA and was there for Agnes in 1972 so I know what a tropical storm can do when it gets stuck up and becomes a major rain event.
Let's pray that this is the worst anyone sees of Ernesto. Stay safe eveyone and have a great day!

Karen

TBRech
(Registered User)
Wed Aug 30 2006 06:23 AM

Ernesto is a big rainstorm. Basically a non-event. We had some rain overnight. Barometer is 29.7 and down a bit from last night. We have a breeze of about 9 MPH with rare gusts to 18. Right now: zero rain. Radar shows heavy banding across Marco Island and Everglades City.

AmateurJohn
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 30 2006 06:42 AM

6:40am - Just started raining heavily here in Lake Placid.

6:47am - Well, that didn't last long!

Lee-Delray
(Weather Master)
Wed Aug 30 2006 07:42 AM

The sun is coming out in Boca Raton, clouds are breaking up, though I'm sure it isn't over. Roads are empty and worst of all Starbucks is closed.

Thankfully this was just a test.

Robert A
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Aug 30 2006 08:03 AM

A little rain in orlando area, but no winds, yet. Man, if we could get just 3" of rain that would be sweet

LisaC
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 30 2006 08:23 AM

a few showers in Weston, Florida (Broward County) over night, very cloudy this morning Ernesto's bark was louder than his bite.

ltpat228
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 30 2006 08:26 AM

Port Saint Lucie here on the east coast across from the Lake.
Winds seems like they're maybe up to 15mph at times with a light rain.
Boring....thank God!
Hahahaha!

madmumbler
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 30 2006 08:41 AM

I'm on the Cape Haze peninsula of Charlotte County, and it's overcast, but barely any breeze at all. I don't know if we'll get any rain later or not.

It WAS a good practice run though.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Wed Aug 30 2006 09:28 AM

Wind 20-30mph highest gust 53mph.lights just flickerd.

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 30 2006 09:50 AM

Lesli - be patient! We've been getting the heavy rain (heavy for Ernesto) down the road from you in Naples for the last couple of hours. It's coming!

madmumbler
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 30 2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Lesli - be patient! We've been getting the heavy rain (heavy for Ernesto) down the road from you in Naples for the last couple of hours. It's coming!

Watch the weather radar -- see the Cape Haze peninsula? (It's there west of Charlotte Harbor.) It's showing rain over us -- NOTHING. My rain gauge is DRY. *LOL*

I watched it this morning when I got up, it looks like the storms kind of "skip" us, sometimes actually going around us, or dying and reforming on either side of us. Not surprising, regular t-storms tend to do this to us to unless it's a well-defined line of them. But it's very common for t-storms coming from the Gulf to go up the harbor and miss us, or from the east to slide down the harbor out to the Gulf.

Update: 10:19am

It's FINALLY started sprinking. Sprinkling. Barely. *LOL*

Bee-Beep
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Aug 30 2006 02:00 PM

I guess Ernesto is done at least over here in Naples. Got some rain and some wind overnight.
Today's been quite calm with some light rain but overall, glad that Ernesto didn't strengthen cuz it coulda been alot worse.

Robert A
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Aug 30 2006 03:37 PM

Just scattered rain in Orlando thus far. They said we'd get the "brunt" in late afternoon/early evening.

Just overcast here most of the day, not much wind yet. I assume we will see more action in a couple hours. We NEED the rain from this storm.

Oops, just "heard" the first real "wind" of the day. It shan't be long, I would guess...

TBRech
(Registered User)
Wed Aug 30 2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

I guess Ernesto is done at least over here in Naples. Got some rain and some wind overnight.
Today's been quite calm with some light rain but overall, glad that Ernesto didn't strengthen cuz it coulda been
alot worse.

Where I live in Collier County (aka Naples) we have a very heavy rain ongoing for no less than 20 minutes. We had already received 3 inches of rain before this episode of heavy rain. Checking some live instrumentation at a local Fire house not far away the rate of rain fall is about an inch per hour.

Ernesto the rainmaker. Glad we have a home well above the flood plain. I would expect if this rate is holding true along some nearby roadways, they will be covered by water.

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 30 2006 05:36 PM

Beware the back end of the storm! As Trudy mentioned above, Naples has seen heavy rain for the last couple of hours. We also had a t-storm and wind - nothing significant, but the most we've had all day. I-75 is a mess with what is being called storm-related crashes. We've had about 6" of rain at my house (inland Collier County, about 15 miles SW of Immokalee).

Stay safe everyone!

Robert A
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Aug 30 2006 06:42 PM

We're now getting the rain in Orlando. Still not much in the way of wind, but we'll take the rain, for sure.

Edit: Rain is starting to pick up. Come on, rain, we need ya! Wind, you can stay away

Wingman51
(Weather Guru)
Wed Aug 30 2006 07:39 PM

Just had a couple of interesting squalls come through St. Cloud (Osceola County) decent rain and 20 - 25 mph wind coming out of NNE - - some dead fronds down near the lake front and white caps on the lake - - glad we were prepared - - excellent dress rehearsal for the next one.

ltpat228
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 30 2006 10:41 PM

Here on the east coast directly across from Lake Okeechobee, around 7pm we experienced high winds and very heavy rain for about 30 minutes. Ever since, its been constant rain and I'd say winds gusting up to 30+mph.
Where we're located, seems storm is moving over us to the N/E and the back side of Ernesto was MUCH stronger than the front!

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Thu Aug 31 2006 07:37 AM

Around 4 am this morning I think, no glasses to see, we had a very windy squal come through, It did not last very long but I would estimate the winds to be about 35-40mph but it was racing very fast. It merely sounded like a window washer with a pressure hose attacking my window from the Northwest

Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Thu Aug 31 2006 10:09 AM

Here are the conditions that we experienced at the house - along with a few other reports.

At the house ( Melbourne - Lake Washington area)
Storm Total: 3.19"
Max Gust: 33mph out of SW at 2306
Lowest Pressure: 29.54 at 2000

Met Tech near Lake Washington reported pressure of 999.6mb at 2000

Systems Engineer in Suntree estimated two wind gusts in excess of 40mph (thunderstorm in progress) at 2301 and 2329.

Satellite Beach Main Fire Station
Storm Total: 3.18"
Max Gust 38mph out of SSW at 2219

Tampa_Lyle
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 31 2006 07:45 PM

Everything right now in the Tampa/ Clearwater area is calm, just another summer day. Some rain this morning with a few squalls and some mild breezes from the Gulf, but all cleared out now. Might be some more coming in later (according to radar). The worst weather we saw was that first feeder band with all the lightning 48 hrs ago. After that, it was happily pretty lame.

GENIE
(Registered User)
Fri Sep 01 2006 01:14 AM

Here are some of the conditions being reported by NWS in NC/SC.
HIGHWAY 210 IMPASSABLE IN A FEW LOCATIONS WEST OF HAMPSTEAD
DRAINAGE POND OVERFLOWED INTO A COMMUNITY IN SOUTHERN MYRTLE BEACH. 4 FEET OF STANDING WATER ON SOME OF THE ROADWAYS IN THAT COMMUNITY
64 MPH PEAK WIND GUST AT THE FRYING PAN SHOALS BUOY
PEAK WIND GUST OF 49 MPH AT SUNSET BEACH WIND GAUGE
45 MPH PEAK WIND GUST AT SPRINGMAID PIER IN MYRTLE BEACH
PEAK WIND GUST OF 51 MPH.BALD HEAD ISLAND
68 MPH PEAK WIND GUST AT THE WATERFRONT IN SOUTHPORT
74 MPH PEAK GUST AT JOHNNIE MERCER PIER
HEAVY RAIN HAMPSTEAD M11.13 INCH
HEAVY RAIN SURF CITY M11.92 INCH
HEAVY RAIN WILMINGTON M9.07 INCH

At 3:51am Duplin County in NC reported a portion of I40 was impassable due to high water. numerous other roads in county impassable.

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Sat Sep 02 2006 04:54 PM

Here in MD a lot of the damage was only semi-related to Ernesto due to other atmospheric factors creating a massive pressure gradient and thus sustained 35-40mph winds from the northeast - winds lasted over 24 hours, but were at their peak for less than 12.

We had 4 foot tides (based on NOAA readings). A neighbor's boat washed off their peir onto our beach - we managed to get it back to their peir and on their lift, but it had a lot of damage. Ourselves - we had some washout on a low bench (designed to protect the main part of our property from storms), but the we're entirely intact otherwise. Some settling along the bulkhead (it's was a new a year ago, so the dirt is still compacting with every major rain storm). Our neighbors, however, all had wash out, with some locations having significant washout behind their bulkheads. The beach had many of it's marsh grasses severed at the root, and peices of many peirs are now sitting on the beach. Lot's of power outages in the area, but we never lost power for more than a handfull of seconds - luckily.

I'm on the Chesapeake near Annapolis, to give you some orientation.
This station is just north of us and has full NE exposure to the winds (unlike the NOAA stations): http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMDPASAD5
NOAA tide graph - Baltimore: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports_d...tem&port=cn
NOAA tide graph - Annapolis: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ports_d...tem&port=cn

--RC

supermom1
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Sep 02 2006 06:42 PM
Re: Nothing Imminent

My son who is on the USS Theodore Roosevelt (Norfolk, VA) told me on Friday morning that the ship clocked winds of 75 MPH from our old pal Ernesto.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center