MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sat Aug 16 2008 02:57 PM
Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area

This is created to host any hurricane preparations, closing, evacuations, or the like in your area, if applicable.

Ie, here in Orlando by Universal Studios, it's fairly cloudy.

Aquanaut
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 16 2008 06:33 PM
Re: Preparations, Clsoings and Conditions in Your Area

Cocoa:
Cloudy, with rain to the north and west due to the stalled front draped across north Central Florida. KSC is in HurConIV, issued Friday morning. It occurs to me that two 5 gallon jugs of gas will cost about $40!! That makes backup power almost four times as expensive as 'last time". I would not be surprised to see a 'bug-out' (mandatory evacuation) from the Space Center on Monday afternoon.

engicedave
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 16 2008 06:38 PM

Aquanaut, BJ's Wholesale off Plumosa and MI Cswy is at minimum .10-.15 cheaper and I noticed yesterday while filling up that it has a huge generator to keep it going in a blackout.

engicedave
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 16 2008 07:39 PM

Gov Crist has ordered a state of emergency and level 2 @ State EOC

DarleneCane
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Aug 16 2008 07:51 PM
barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening?

It had been hovering around 30.05 for a while, 30.04 but it's been on a downward trend. It's not raining anywhere and I am wondering if the high to the north of Fay could be weakening.

Currently 29.99 by me. That's a lot of drop for no apparent reason.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 16 2008 08:05 PM
Re: barometer in miami drops.. is high weakening?

Fort Myers, Florida:

Through 445 PM...scattered showers and thunderstorms were moving east at 15 mph across west central Florida. The stronger storms were located near Sarasota and in over southern Lee County. Expect gusty winds...small hail...locally heavy rain...and dangerous cloud to ground lightning.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Sat Aug 16 2008 08:31 PM

Warm and very humid (heavy air) here in Pinellas County. I've already gone and exchanged two LPG tanks for the grill, checked and installed fresh batteries in the flashlights, located the drill, bits, and tapcons for the plywood if needed. Going to start bagging and storing ice from the ice maker soon. My emergency weather radio is set. Everything else is in reasonable supply. Hoping for the best and preparing for a hit. I'll fill the gas tank in my truck tomorrow.

flanewscameraman
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Aug 17 2008 01:26 AM

Nice day in WPB, a few storms, but typical South Florida Saturday. The next few days should be a ride for all of us, until Fay decides where and when she wants to go. If and when they announce any watches or warning, then it will get real interesting. One thing I a curious about, when do you all think they might announce some sort of evacuation for the keys, if they will even evacuate

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Aug 17 2008 01:59 PM
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area

Good Sunday morning from Naples where we are under a hurricane watch. People are finally starting to notice now that we are under a watch. Had to make a quick 7am trip to Walmart and it was mush busier than normal at that time of day. Local mets are advising to prepare because it would have to move pretty far to the east or west to miss us (and of course that's possible). They did a great job during Charley and Wilma and I have a lot of confidence in them.

Personally, I'd rather be ready than get caught so we are putting up the hurricane screens right now. It's been 2 years since they were installed so not a bad idea to practice anyway. It would actually be worse for us if it moves east because we are inland Collier County, about 8 miles from Ave Maria.

Collier County Commissioners will meet at 9am tomorrow to decide if they need to declare a state of emergency. I'm guessing they will unless we see a drastic change in course. No decision on schools yet but I would not expect that until much later today.

Pay attention and stay safe!

cosmicstorm
(Registered User)
Sun Aug 17 2008 02:02 PM

This is my first post. I am an avid reader of this site and really appreciate all the expertise all of you pros share with us. I have learned so much. Thank you all!

Delray Beach had a drop in the barometer from 29.97 last night at 10:00pm (8/16/08) to a reading of 29.94 at 10:00 am today (Sunday 8/17).

Also worth noting, in Green Cay wetlands (Boynton Beach) there were noticably less birds than usual. This is a wonderful place usually full of wetland birds. Not one Ibis spotted either.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Aug 17 2008 02:12 PM

Hi. Here in Temple Terrace lots of neighborhood discussion on what is happening. No one here is boarding up ... yet. I too have located my tools and have access to my plywood. Will wait another day to decide. I work for Hillsborough County and no word yet on anything. I can't imagine we will be open on Tuesday. I just looked at the Hillsborough County School Board and they have the following:
Quote:

"It is unclear at this time whether Tropical Storm Fay will have an impact on the Tampa Bay area. Early indications are that if there is an impact, it likely would occur on Tuesday.
If there are any plans to cancel events or close school, parents will be notified through automated phone messages, the district website, and via local television, radio and newspapers. School district officials remain in contact with the Emergency Operations Center. Look for updates in this space as more information becomes available."

Considering they have a huge mess here with thousands not getting bus stop info on time for Monday, this could be a big mess. Hopefully Fay will pale in comparision to Monday's opening day...

As usual, local government takes a wait and see approach, but that only works IF the storm does not suddenly ramp up to Cat 2 or 3.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Sun Aug 17 2008 03:27 PM

Well hello and a Jolly Sunday Morning to ya'al,

Well it looks as if they have appeared to issue a hurricane watch here in Fort Myers, which simply means to start and get the ball rolling. Yesterday, since we do not have a car, we bought two 24 packs of bottled water, flashlights with batteries and moved anything important away from the window (we do not have insurance, but will be getting some after Fay passes) We do not have a first aid kit, but after the storm passes, I will be going to buy one of those Emergency First Aid Kits for Hurricanes from CVS, FEMA or ARC websites. I got one of those hurricane guides as well as lots of canned and nonperishable foods. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Current weather conditions in Fort Myers, Florida 33901 reads as follows:

Winds ENE 6mph
Humidity: 56%
UV: 10+ Extreme
Temp: 92 degrees
Pressure: 29.97 inches and falling

(http://www.weather.com/weather/local/33901?lswe=33901&lwsa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&from=searchbox)

See more information HERE: http://www.winknews.com/news/top/27067969.html

Also, apparently there has been four deaths from FAY. See more here: http://www.winknews.com/news/local/27050684.html

Our local mets here are stressing the fact of preparedness, because we still could see FAY strengthen to a Cat 2, even though it is unlikely she will strengthen. I'm glad that people here in Lee County and surrounding Collier and Hendry counties are taking Fay serious. Who knows what will happen.

Schools here in Lee County say that the school board will be debating weather or not to start school tomorrow, and close on Tuesday or have a late start to the school season. No closings as of yet.

Just be on the look out

Bookworm
(Registered User)
Sun Aug 17 2008 06:45 PM

Pinellas County schools are now closed for Tuesday, which would have been the 1st day of school, as per Bay News 9.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Sun Aug 17 2008 09:14 PM

Current Conditions in Fort Myers:

Partly Cloudy
95.2 °F / 35.1 °C
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.7 mph / 1 km/h
Pressure: 29.67 in / 1004.6 and falling
Heat Index: 105 °F / 41 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds:
Few 5500 ft / 1676 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 14 ft / 4 m

Just took a walk outside to walk my dog. The Sky looks to be forming a sort of thunderstorm or rain storm. Its currently sunny, but it is going to storm. Could be related to Fay? Maybe? Maybe not. Who knows.

Littlebit
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Aug 17 2008 11:00 PM

We just got the Iris alert call. Hillsborough county schools are open Monday. They will decide tomorrow if they will be open on Tuesday or not.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Sun Aug 17 2008 11:21 PM

Were getting what I think to be feeder bands of Fay. Were getting hit with the thunderstorms and winds of her. of this is her.

Sarasota3G
(Registered User)
Sun Aug 17 2008 11:37 PM

Here in Sarasota it's 19:30, no wind, 85 F. Barometer is at 29.93, dropping steadily. Things aren't looking like prior storms, quieter but no one can say yet. I'll let you know tomorrow what it looks like here if no one else does.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Aug 17 2008 11:41 PM

Hi. Apparently the Pinellas School closing announcement was premature. This is the best source of school info I can find so far: 970am website

I noticed some of our gas stations already have half the pump handles in bags already. We are all filled up here. Bought some more water and we are ready.

EaglezFan42
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Aug 18 2008 03:17 AM

Just north of Tampa, it's a quiet night...not even a breeze, but that's nothing to be unexpected...still way too early for any impacts from Fay at this time...

From what I've been seeing over the past day or two around here is typical....
No one seems to believe it will hit or even be much of an impact around here. (Again, just from various people I've talked to and the general reaction to forecasts)
And, in all honesty, it's hard to get too hyped up about a landfall near the Tampa area considering storms forecasted to hit this area in the past that never made it here after days of being in the center of the "cone."
So, it's all just a wait-and-see from here until later tomorrow....
But still, everyone must be prepared....especially if the forecasted track stays true.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 03:51 AM

Typical Calm Night in Fort Myers. Light Rain with a few scattered showers earlier and a rumble of thunder here or there. The Barometric Pressure is finally rising for some reason?

Some stats:

Updated: 11:49 PM EDT on August 17, 2008
79.7 °F / 26.5 °C
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.4 mph / 5.5 km/h
Pressure: 29.75 in / 1007.3 (Rising)
Heat Index: 84 °F / 29 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

So why would it suddenly drop and then rise? Anyone have any clue?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Aug 18 2008 03:56 AM

Two reasons come to mind.
The typical day has a rise and fall in the morning and another in the evening. Somewhat like the tide rises and falls.

The other reason is the Storm and the front just north of your area. They are ' fighting for space', tug of war.
Also known as barometric pumping the frequent rise and fall of the barometer prior to a storm passing.
You can see the same rise and fall during the winter with a strong cold front.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 03:59 AM

Thats interesting,

So those storms were getting are not feeder bands from Fay?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Aug 18 2008 04:04 AM

Yes they are feeder bands from Fay. Also called convergence bands, as they converge/ merge into the storm center.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 04:06 AM

Okay, I just wanted to clarify on that.

Thanks danielw

LDH892
(Meteorologist)
Mon Aug 18 2008 04:25 AM

To whom it concerns, my interpretation from earlier this afternoon when thunderstorms were firing across Ft. Myers area were that they were not "feeder bands" into TS Fay. My interpretation of the term "feeder bands" also has to do with proximity of the linear convection to the storm and at the time this afternoon the storms were more than 400, maybe 500, miles away. Follow the link below for a great graphic of "feeder bands" and additional information.

Accuweather's Anatomy of a Hurricane

Please note the proximity of the feeder-bands to the storm's center, and also notice the definition.

(I understand if the link I attached is removed as it is part of Accuweather's website).

Wingman51
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 06:44 PM

Schools closed tomorrow in Orange, Osceola, Polk, Seminole and Sumpter - - 2 hr early release in Marion

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 06:59 PM

2:03pm Update:

The area is getting prepared:

• Lee and Collier County schools will be closed Tuesday.

• Lee, Collier and Charlotte counties have declared states of emergency. In addition, a mandatory curfew was being discussed by the Collier County Sheriff’s Office and the sale of alcohol will be limited.

• A voluntary evacuation is in effect for Sanibel, Captiva, Fort Myers Beach, Bonita Beach, Pine Island and Boca Grande. The Sanibel Island City Council will reconvene at 4 p.m. today to make further decisions based on the track of the advancing storm, said Judie Zimomra, city manager.

• Some shelters have been opened in both counties.

• Southwest Florida International Airport managers will decide late this afternoon when and if it will close. As of 11 a.m., the only canceled flights were Continental Connection’s to Key West.

On Bonita Beach, only a very small smattering of condos had their shutters rolled down. On the beach itself, inch-high waves from a still-as-glass Gulf of Mexico lapped at the shoreline in front of Doc’s Beach House.

All fire districts are getting an extra supply of sandbags today.

As of 9:30 this morning, the Iona McGregor Fire District was the only station with sandbags.

Electric companies were poised to react quickly.

At Florida Power and Light, crews around Florida and from outside the state are ready to be deployed, spokesman Mayco Villafana said.

The Lee County Electric Cooperative has 250 technicians ready for Fay’s aftermath. More than half the crew comes from outside the company with workers coming as far away as North Carolina, Georgia and Alabama, according to LCEC spokesperson Karen Ryan.

The additional line workers and tree-trimming crews arrived in their own bucket trucks. LCEC, Ryan said has several gasoline tankers filled to keep the fleet fueled and two helicopters to monitor the situation.

LCEC is also staffing its customer support center, which will be on around the clock. Company officials ask that people don’t call the call center to tell them the power is out.

“If the entire neighborhood is out of power, we know,” Ryan said. “There’s no need to call.”

Customers should call the company at (239) 995-2121 only for an emergency, such as an electrical fire or a downed power line.

“Treat every downed line as if it were energized,” Ryan said.

The Emergency Operations Center in Lee County will open four locations as public shelters, beginning at 4 p.m. They are:

South Fort Myers High School (capacity 2,500. This is also the only shelter allowing pets), Dunbar High School (capacity 500), Islands High School (capacity 3,000), Estero Community Center (capacity 2,500).

Harborside in downtown Fort Myers will open at noon as a special needs shelter, capacity of about 300. A person must be preregistered to gain access to this shelter.

One death has been reported in preparation of the storm from Hurricane Shutters.

Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Aug 18 2008 07:39 PM

Hillsborough County Schools are out for Tuesday with the decision about Wednesday to be made later.

Polk county Schools are out Tuesday AND Wednesday.

Littlebit
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Aug 18 2008 07:43 PM

Schools closed in Hillsborough county for Tuesday.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 08:06 PM

Updated 3:04pm from News-Press:

Fort Myers

• Edison Mall will be closing at 4 p.m. today and remain closed until further notice.

For the update on the mall reopening, customers and employees can call the mall’s shopping line at 939-5464.

• Lee County Commission Chairman Ray Judah announced county government operations, not including emergency services, will be closed as of 5 p.m. through tomorrow.

• All Family Health Centers of Southwest Florida offices will be closed Tuesday.

• A spokeswoman from the U. S. District Court said that the court and the clerk's office is closed as of 2:30 p.m. today and will remain closed Tuesday.

• The Chamber of Southwest Florida has postponed the iROX I-75 Road Expansion Project Update Luncheon originally scheduled for Wednesday at the Forest Country Club in Fort Myers.

The event will now be held on Wednesday, Sept. 3, with registration beginning at 11:30 a.m.

• All Circuit 20 courts will be closed Tuesday, according to spokeswoman
Sheila Mann.

As of today, though, courts in Charlotte and Hendry counties will close at
3:30 p.m., Collier County court closed at 1 p.m. today, while Lee and Glades
county courts will remain open through today.

A hotline number will be released shortly for residents who are expecting to
appear in court Wednesday. The hotline will identify which courts might be
open by then.

Lee County Jail staff is expected to beef up its regular shifts with more
personnel, but other than that, it will be business as usual.

• The Lee Republican Women's Club has cancelled it's Candidates Showcase event scheduled for Tuesday at the Royal Palm Yacht Club.

• St. Francis Xavier School will be closed on Tuesday. Parents and students are urged to check the school’s web site, stfrancisfortmyers.org, for updates.

School officials also plan to e-mail families and provide updates through local media, including news-press.com.

• City Manager William Mitchell has closed all Fort Myers City Government offices on Tuesday.

• Lee Mental Health in Fort Myers will be closed Tuesday. For more information
call 275-3222. A recorded message will update callers on when it will
re-open.

• A check presentation to Susanna Widman, the wife of fallen officer Andrew Widman, scheduled for today has been postponed.

Herocare, a locally headquartered and nationally reaching non-profit organization, raised nearly $25,000 for Widman’s family. The donation was going to be presented during a Fort Myers City Council meeting.

• Both the Imaginarium and Southwest Florida Museum of History will be closed
today through Tuesday.

A determination about Wednesday hours will be made after the storm passes through.

The SWFL Museum of History hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am. to 5 p.m.
and the Imaginarium’s hours are Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and
Sundays noon to 5 p.m.

• The Edison & Ford Winter Estates is open to the public today, but on a shortened schedule.

According to an advisory from Fort Myers’ historic estates: The last guided tour is at noon. The Edison Lab and Museum will stay open until 2 p.m.

Visitors will receive a discounted admission price of $11 for adults and $6 for children.

The estates will be closed Tuesday.

People hoping to visit Wednesday should call the estates that day at (239) 334-7419, and speak with a staff member before traveling.

The historic homes have been secured, and vulnerable furnishings removed in preparation for the storm.

Sanibel

• Sanibel & Captiva Islands Chamber of Commercess has canceled its after-hours social event scheduled tonight for Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa. It will be rescheduled.

The chamber’s visitor center will be closed Tuesday.

North Fort Myers

The Citrus Expo scheduled to begin Wednesday at Lee Civic Center, North Fort Myers, has been canceled because of the storm, organizers announced this morning.

The civic center is used for staging many emergency response efforts.

The annual citrus industry expo of seminars and a trade show was called off following Hurricane Charley in 2004.

For further information regarding Citrus Expo, go to www.citrusexpo.net and www.southeastagnet.com.
Cape Coral -Chiquita Boat Lock closes tonight

The Chiquita Boat Lock in southwest Cape Coral will be closed at 10 p.m. today and will not reopen until Wednesday. The lock serves as a gateway between the Cape’s Southwest Spreader Canal System and surrounding waterways.

In addition to the lock, all other city facilities will be closed tomorrow in Cape Coral.

• All Cape Coral Parks and Recreation facilities will be closed and all
programs canceled after 6 p.m. today through Tuesday in anticipation of
Tropical Storm Fay. City officials will make a decision at 3 p.m. Tuesday on
when to reopen the facilities.

• There will be no trash pickup Tuesday in Cape Coral in anticipation of Tropical Storm Fay.

Waste Management, the company contracted for refuse collection in the Cape will not be operating on Tuesday. Residents are asked to keep all trash containers inside and secured. Any trash placed outside is likely to blow away in the storm.

• Cape officials have canceled a ground-breaking ceremony for the cape’s new Public Safety Building, which was scheduled for Wednesday.

Construction crews from Balfour Beatty Construction hoped to being work on the $19 million building this week.

With Tropical Storm Fay set to hit the area tomorrow, the company is putting off work on the project.
Collier County

• The Board of Collier County Commissioners and County Manager’s Agency are open all day today but will be closed Tuesday.

The Supervisor of Elections office is open all day today and closed Tuesday as well.

Early voting is being suspended at 2 p.m. today and all day Tuesday. Early voting will resume on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. at all seven locations.

The Clerk of Courts office is closing this afternoon and remain closed Tuesday.

Courts Administration is expected to close this afternoon and stay closed Tuesday.

The Property Appraiser’s office is open all day today and will be closed Tuesday.

The Tax Collector’s Office office is open all day today and will be closed Tuesday.

The Collier County Sheriff’s Office will be closed Tuesday for routine business operations. The sheriff has activated the agency’s emergency operations plan.
Estero

Coconut Point Mall will be closing at 5 p.m. today and remain closed until further notice.

For updates on the mall reopening, customers and employees can call the mall’s shopping line at 992-4259.
FGCU

Because of the approaching storm, Florida Gulf Coast University campus will be closed Tuesday. All FGCU activities on campus and at off-campus locations are canceled for Tuesday. FGCU will reopen for regular operations at 8 a.m. on Wednesday unless news updates state otherwise.

As of 10 p.m. tonight, the FGCU campus will be closed for everyone except FGCU-designated essential personnel.
Charlotte County

• The superintendent of Charlotte County Public Schools has announced that all Charlotte County public xchools will be closed Tuesday.

He will be making an announcement on Tuesday afternoon about whether schools will be open on Wednesday.
Edison College

• To ensure the safety and welfare of Edison College students and employees, all campuses will close as of 4:30 p.m. today, and remain closed through Tuesday.

Edison College is not a designated emergency shelter and only authorized individuals will be allowed on campus during the closure.

Edison College will resume normal operations Wednesday, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Synovus Bank will close its branches located in Bonita Springs, Ft. Myers, Naples, Pt. Charlotte, and Venice on Tuesday, August 19. The bank’s ATMs will remain in service assuming power is available.

West FL Jess
(Weather Hobbyist)
Mon Aug 18 2008 08:14 PM

FYI: Pinellas, Sarasota, Manatee and Hernando County Public schools are closed in addition to the others listed on this page....

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 10:09 PM
Re: Tropical Storm Fay Approaching Florida from the South

Current Conditions in Fort Myers, Florida:

Light Rain
77.5 °F / 25.3 °C
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 2.5 mph / 4 km/h from the NE
Wind Gust: 10.3 mph / 16 km/h
Pressure: 29.61 in / 1002.6 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 79 °F / 26 °C
Clouds:
Few 1400 ft / 426 m
(Above Ground Level)

Fay is said to be hitting us by around 12:00am tonight, hopefully we shall see some action soon. Right now, its just really cool, and its misting outside. Wind Gusts every once in a while. Friends in Miami say they've got blown transformers and crap, and that their electricity is off. I think they got the worst part of Fay.

Southern4sure
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 10:32 PM

Pasco County Schools will be closed on Tuesday.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 10:50 PM

They updated the stuff on the News-Press saying Fay will hit us around 12:00am tonight. I'm going to grab my camera and video tape her as she comes in..

engicedave
(Weather Hobbyist)
Mon Aug 18 2008 11:08 PM

Brevard Co schools are closed

From what I can figure out, all central florida schools are closed

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Mon Aug 18 2008 11:28 PM

7:27pm - heavy rain in Naples. Collier Co has enacted a curfew 11pm to 6am each day, expiring at 6am on Wednesday. All SW Florida schools and most offices are closed tomorrow.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 11:45 PM

7:44pm, Heavy Rain in Fort Myers, Florida. Uploading Some Videos now of the winds. They seem light, and the rain is also starting to get heavier.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 18 2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

7:27pm - heavy rain in Naples. Collier Co has enacted a curfew 11pm to 6am each day, expiring at 6am on Wednesday. All SW Florida schools and most offices are closed tomorrow.

Does this mean no mail?

xxflcyclonexx
(Verified CFHC User)
Tue Aug 19 2008 12:12 AM

There was a report of a power line on fire on Key Largo around 7:30. I think the Keys made out pretty good overall though from what I can tell. Here it's cloudy, no rain and only light wind. I'm thinking this storm will be a lot like TS Marco in 1990. I remember being impressed with how much kick that little coast hugger had. That was of course before Charely came to town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Marco_(1990)

West FL Jess
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 19 2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Does this mean no mail?

I wouldn't think so

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 19 2008 08:31 AM

Naples 4:20am Tuesday

Rain and wind are both picking up and power just blipped out for the first time. Slept more than I thought I would with the weather radio going off regularly for tornado warnings out on the alley or right to our west.

Naples Police reported arrests for curfew violations. NBC-2 is reporting a 5-6 ft higher surge in Chokoloskee, power outages in Marco and Lehigh (Lee County) and some minor road flooding.

flanewscameraman
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 19 2008 11:23 AM

We are getting slammed with rain at the moment, and are under tornado warning. I am watching my yard disappear under water, and I have an acre and a quarter. I am getting concerned about flooding in this part of palm beach county, since the storm still has to traverse the state. I am also hearing thunder, which i do not normally hear in a tropical system

ltpat228
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 19 2008 11:36 AM

0730 August 19, 2008 Tuesday

Saint Lucie County
Port Saint Lucie & Fort Pierce

Rains have been steady since at least 0330. Sustained winds easily 29+ with gusts averaging 40+.
A gust of 55mph was reported at our Nuclear Plant on the ocean which is 7 miles east of me.
Constant tornado warnings are being posted in my county and there's hardly any one on the streets.
LOL - we are having heavier winds than Fort Myers!

Kraig
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 19 2008 12:02 PM

Winds in West Jupiter gusty but no higher than 20 - 25 mph. Had just under 3 inches of rain. In the town of Jupiter more than 5 1/2 inches so far! Rain ponding slightly........we need the rain!

Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 19 2008 12:15 PM

Not much yet here in Plant City. Just let the cats in and it was 77 a bit blustery (maybe 10-12 in gusts) and with a few sprinkles in the air. My cruddy barometer says 29.78, and I assume it is still falling. Looking like we won't get much here on the west side of things. May just be a nice day off from school.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Tue Aug 19 2008 01:48 PM

Current Conditions:

Light Rain
74.1 °F / 23.4 °C
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 4.7 mph / 7.6 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 18.3 mph / 29.5 km/h / 19.0 m/s
Pressure: 29.34 in / 993.5 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 72 °F / 22 °C
Clouds:
Mostly Cloudy 1500 ft / 457 m
Mostly Cloudy 2500 ft / 762 m
Overcast 3300 ft / 1005 m
(Above Ground Level)

Looks like I slept through the 8:00am wake up, but I just woke up to hearing the wind and rain. Wind and rain has been steady, and the winds, I've never seen something like it. I'm going to grab my video camera and record.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Tue Aug 19 2008 01:58 PM

Fairly quiet here in mid-Pinellas County. Wind from the NE at 10 - 20, cloudy, of course. I expect more later as Fay pulls east of here and as the wind begins to come around to a more westerly direction off the Gulf. Could be several days of westerly wind flow around here which means more humidity and tropical showers at about anytime day or night.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 19 2008 02:09 PM

Broward County- steady winds, rain, very dark skies. In my neighborhood there were a few trees down (newly planted palms).

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 19 2008 02:15 PM

Still getting rain and some wind in Naples and I am expecting that to continue on and off all day. A lot of the landscaping needs to be uprighted throughout our community. It passed right over our heads and the highest gusts recorded close by were about 65.

Biggest problem was trying to get the dogs out.... Stay safe if you are in the path of Fay!

Southern4sure
(Weather Guru)
Tue Aug 19 2008 05:56 PM

The sun is shining right now. We have a nie breeze and occasional mist. Just another day in FL.

B.C.Francis
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 19 2008 06:15 PM

Getting nailed here in Indiatlantic beachside right now. Tornados to the south near Sebastion Inlet. Rumor has it that Jim C. with the weather channel might be heading to the board walk to report on the storm. I think he wants to see the eye as it passes by later today . Will see. Keep dry, its almost over (I think).

ltpat228
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 19 2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Getting nailed here in Indiatlantic beachside right now. its almost over (I think).

Refer to below live radar link as 45 minutes south of you here in Saint Lucie County, we have been getting pummeled since 0330 this morning!

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?l...;mm=0&hur=0

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Tue Aug 19 2008 09:55 PM

Still raining here, as well as winds. I have some videos of when Fay hit us if anyone is interested?

DMFischer
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 19 2008 10:09 PM

Here in Rockledge it was not bad this morning early, but for the last while, we are getting hammered with wind and rain. I am home alone and have been spooked a few times when the wind whipped up under the eves of the house and rumbled everything a bit. I think part of my fence is already down. Going to be a long night.

weathernet
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 19 2008 10:50 PM

Only a few fast passing squalls here in Broward County. Best estimated gusts early this a.m. were perhaps 40-45mph range. Would love to get some of you Central Floridians to get a nice picture looking up into the eye of this thing!! Who would have thought we'd have a T.S. that would "strengthen" over land, rather than water. No doubt why it "dodged" Lake 'O; darn storm avoids water and goes for the land masses ( Puerto Rico, Hispanola, Cuba, Florida...).

All this aside, anyone here in S. Florida happen to hear if schools have been officially opened for tommorrow ( Wed. 8/20 )?

angelhologram
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 19 2008 11:30 PM

Here in Jacksonville they just announced schools closed Wednesday and Thursday.

Bryan
(Registered User)
Wed Aug 20 2008 12:11 AM

I'd love to understand what just happened here in Apopka FL.
Everything got a weird pale yellow, then pale red, lavender and now pale blue. Within a 3-5 minute period.

Wind is intermittent. No rain.

West FL Jess
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 20 2008 12:17 AM

the sky actually just changed colors here in St. Pete too and got very windy....

ltpat228
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 20 2008 12:24 AM

2029 Tuesday August 19 2008

Saint Lucie County
Fort Pierce & Port Saint Lucie

We are now beginning our 17th straight hour of continual rain and gusty winds over 40mph as Fay pummels us via her eastern/northeastern feeder bands.

Fay has been relentless in my area...so much so, late this morning many areas in my county experienced flash flooding in major intersections.

Our schools are closed again on Wednesday due to this massive flooding.

Law Enforcement Officials have set up command centers in a few key shopping centers where garbage trucks are positioned to rescue stranded motorists and take them to their residence. Garbage and dump trucks are also strategically placed along U.S. 1 where roads are waist deep with water to keep vehicles from straying and entering in to those unsafe areas.

I've never seen any thing like this storm duration since hurricane Frances. Only difference is, she lasted 49,000 days where maybe Fay will leave my area by 1am they're claiming?
LOL.

No biggie as I'm a Floridian of 55 years and used to this as it comes with the territory.

Long as the DOLPHINS game is still on for next Saturday, I will be ecstatic!

vineyardsaker
(Weather Guru)
Wed Aug 20 2008 02:43 AM

22:38. New Smyrna Beach.

I just tried to walk my dog. There is A LOT of rain falling right now, with many winds gusts, though the wind is nowhere near as powerful as during a hurricane. I am listening to the cops on my scanner and they sound very much "business as usual" - no tension at all. Two trees are down on powerlines, that's it. So far so good for us in New Smyrna.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Wed Aug 20 2008 03:07 AM

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FLASH FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL 857 PM EDT TUE AUG 19 2008
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A * FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR... BREVARD COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA...
THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...SHARPES...PORT CANAVERAL...MERRITT ISLAND...CAPE CANAVERAL...TITUSVILLE AIRPORT...TITUSVILLE... SCOTTSMOOR...SATELLITE BEACH...ROCKLEDGE...PORT SAINT JOHN... PLAYALINDA BEACH...PATRICK AIRFORCE BASE...PALM BAY...MIMS... MELBOURNE...MALABAR...LONE CABBAGE FISH CAMP...INDIALANTIC... HAULOVER CANAL...GRANT...COCOA BEACH...COCOA...CAMP HOLLY FISH CAMP...BAREFOOT BAY...

* UNTIL 1100 PM EDT
* AT 855 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED WIDESPREAD RAINFALL FROM TROPICAL STORM FAY CONTINUING TO MOVE ACROSS BREVARD COUNTY...WITH HEAVIER RAIN IN SQUALL BANDS PUSHING ONSHORE FROM AROUND THE COCOA BEACH AREA NORTHWARD TO CAPE CANAVERAL. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF ONE TO TWO INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WARNED AREA...WITH SLIGHTLY LESSER AMOUNTS ELSEWHERE. THE RAINFALL WILL BE ENOUGH TO CONTINUE OR EXAGGERATE ONGOING FLOOD PROBLEMS ACROSS BREVARD COUNTY.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FLASH FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
926 PM EDT TUE AUG 19 2008
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MIAMI HAS EXTENDED THE * FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR... GLADES COUNTY IN SOUTHERN FLORIDA... THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...PALMDALE...MOORE HAVEN...LAKEPORT...
* UNTIL 1230 AM EDT
* AT 919 PM EDT...EMERGENCY OF OPERATION CENTER OFFICIALS REPORTED THAT WATER WAS STARTING TO APPROACH HOMES IN THE MUSE...ORTONA...AND PALMDALE AREAS. THEY ALSO REPORTED THAT WATER WAS STARTING TO COVER PORTIONS OF HIGHWAY 29...74 AND WEST 78.

gsand
(Weather Watcher)
Wed Aug 20 2008 11:11 AM

Palm Bay 1100z 28.01N 80.38W

Temp 75 Humidity 99%
Overcast Moderate Rain
Winds W\SW 25 G30
Pressure 29.55\1000

History
Lowest Pressure 29.34\993.5 at 8\20 0620z
Rain since 8\19 1000z 14.5 inches

Think we got the eastern edge of the COC between about 0610z and 0625z. Got real calm, though still overcast.

Folks, please, please don't drive through standing water. We had several feet of water across our street yesterday and someone tried to drive a small Honda through it. We had to push her car out and it's ruined. Be safe everyone!

ltpat228
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 20 2008 11:44 AM

0753 Wednesday August 20 2008

Saint Lucie County
Fort Pierce and Port Saint Lucie

We are in our 28th hour of enduring continual rain and gusts of wind up to and beyond 40mph. So far we've gotten over 10" of rain.

Many intersections along our major inner city highway called U.S. 1 began flash floods late yesterday morning. A few areas east of U.S. 1 are flooded 4 feet high, including where my daughter works and lives. Her power was out all night and local Law Enforcement are using their boats to shuttle stranded motorists. As I live near the North Fork of the Saint Lucie River, a Florida Marine Patrol truck keeps cruising our neighborhood.

Shuttle command centers are strategically positioned in shopping centers where garbage and dump trucks are driving to get people and escorting them home.

Because one of our major hospitals lays in the middle of a flash flooded area, many garbage trucks are driving medical staff to the hospital. (P.U. Doctors - ahahaha!)

School and government offices are closed again today.

Our EOC is supposed to have a televised press conference and update at 0730 .
Yeh, right.
It is now 0753.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/093230.shtml?radii#contents

Bev
(Weather Guru)
Wed Aug 20 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

I'd love to understand what just happened here in Apopka FL.
Everything got a weird pale yellow, then pale red, lavender and now pale blue. Within a 3-5 minute period.

Wind is intermittent. No rain.

Let me know if you ever find out what happened. Twenty years ago I saw the same thing and never forgot it. I was driving at the time and the colors were so definite, one after another, I though I was driving through a rainbow, except you can't drive through a rainbow.

StrmTrckrMiami
(Weather Guru)
Wed Aug 20 2008 02:35 PM

Well, that was an interesting read. I've never heard of the sky changing from pale yellow, to pink, to lavender, blue and green? I'll have to research that. That must have been quite an experience.

So I took a half a day away from the forums but just could not go without adding this one input of something that had happened last night. We all know I'm in the National Guard, well they activated us at tge beginning of Fay, and we were not expected to do nothing other then put sandbags up. Well, yesterday I got the phone call to go over to Port St. Lucie (where my hometown unit is outside of) because they got a lot of flooding from Fay. The meteorologists were saying that Flooding was going to be a major factor in this storm. I must say that when I arrived at Port St. Lucie, that the eye must have been over us because it had been somewhat calmer than usual. At times we got wind gusts of up to 75 mph, and torrential rains. This had been going on for about 18 hours, as lpat had said. I thought when the storm was passed us, we would not be getting shipped with this sort of stuff.

In Fort Myers, we are still getting winds of up to 25mph, and light ran. I must add that yesterday when the storm had passed, that it seemed to continue going. I think this was due to Fay strengthening after things had calmed down upon sunset, the rain stopped, and there was a breeze. Everything has re-opened here in Lee county to my knowledge. I'm going to continue watching Fay, as is our other members of my unit, because we hear she could whip back around and have another go at it with south and Central Florida..

Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Aug 20 2008 04:23 PM

Just for the record....her in Plant City, Fay has left a grand total of 0.06 in of rain in my gauge. Wasn't really even enough to empty this morning. Of course, that usually means we will get flooded today or tomorrow and looking at the way Fay may be moving it just may be Friday!!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Aug 20 2008 05:54 PM

Californian has Punta Gorda vacation this sat. have to decide on Fri. if I want to sit at Atlanta, GA and Ft. Myers airport if Fay comes back that way. Any suggestions for me?

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Wed Aug 20 2008 09:19 PM

I'm on the beach at New Smyrna this evening, wind has picked up a great deal tonight, but the rain is light (similar to what the radar shows)

I'll try to get pictures, but I'll first stay safe.

allan
(Weather Master)
Wed Aug 20 2008 11:21 PM

Conditions are now getting worse here in Flagler County with winds gusting over 40 mph. sustained at around 30 mph. Fay is getting stronger and Flagler County has never gotten a direct hit from a storm either in a long time or never. Schools remain closed tomorrow and hopefully my job will close as well.

rmbjoe1954
(Weather Master)
Thu Aug 21 2008 12:16 AM
Conditions in Your Area

Fay dropped an astounding 12 inches of rain in some places in Port Saint Lucie. In fact US Federal Highway 1 was shut down at many key interesections due to flooding. Many houses in developments east of US1 could not get access to the outside world. The rainfall was the worst since the founding of this fair city in the early 1960s.

DawgfanII
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 12:19 AM

Indialantic FL update: Closest measuring station reports 16.78 inches of rain in the past 30 hours...sewer system is taxed to the point of failure and residents are being asked to limit water use. Roads on the barrier island are flooded and impassable in Melbourne Beach and Satellite Beach. There is a foot of water standing in my side yard.

My home has withstood Jeanne, Frances (2004) and Wilma (2005). Their combined total rainfall is less than half of what this area has experienced in the past two days.

TeamJP2002
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 05:14 AM
Re: Conditions in Your Area

As the storm begins to make it's very slow trip to the west, the conditions have changed significantly here in Ormond Beach within the last 60-90 minutes (we're about two miles south of the Volusia/Flagler line and west of I-95). Rain has stopped, winds have gone from steady to calm with only occasional gusts. I guess this is the calm in the middle of the storm.

Ground is obviously very saturated but there is no standing water in our street or in our yard.

The link below gives a great perspective:
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=29.05377&lon=-80.91980

The COC is still over water, but the western edge has cleared I-95, hopefully the rest of the storm will follow it.

laurie66
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 03:00 PM

I too live in Indialantic luckily I live on the third floor, so flooding isnt an issue for me in my house but outside is a nightmare. I just wish the businesses would take into consideration the safety of the employees and understand if we cant leave because of flooded streets, that includes the one I work for, why do people have to be made to feel bad? oh well I guess everyone is stressed out. please people be careful lets get our community back to normal with everyone safe! =) wish I knew if the kids had school tomorrow, anyone hear anything all I hear is about today. thanks

angelhologram
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 04:04 PM

Here in Northern Duval/Southern Nassau rain has been light all day with a few bands of heavier rain throughout the day. Breezy with stronger gusts but not bad yet. About an hour ago they announced on the TV that bad weather was just beginning to reach Jacksonville........and then the power went out. Parts of Yulee and Fernandina began losing power last night. Last I checked we had 4 generators left at our store in Fernandina and customers told me that they had checked Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart and ACE in Jax and all were sold out. D size batteries are becoming scarce as well. A tip for anyone without power, if you haven't been able to get a generator try getting a power inverter that hooks up to your cigarette lighter in your car. While it can't run as much as a generator will you can hook up a TV, radio, fan, and light (depending on the size of the inverter) and they run between $30 and $150. You can find them at most hardware stores (Lowe's Home Depot, ACE) as well as Walmart, Gander Mountain and most marine and/or Hunting/Camping supply stores. You might even try large retail chains such as Sears, Kmart etc.
Hope this helps!

Jumaduke
(Verified CFHC User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 04:51 PM

I am in High Springs, about midway between Gainesville and Lake City. Thursday it's been totally overcast, quite breezy, with a few stronger gusts coming around. We've had mist-like conditions all morning, but no true showers yet.

Alachua County public schools are closed Thursday, and we're in a wait-and-see pattern about Friday.

I'm wondering exactly what kind of conditions we can expect here in the next 12-36 hours. It's a little frustrating to know that we're using a flex day in our school calendar to stay home today and we don't even have to use an umbrella if we're outside less than five minutes.

As of this post (about 1:00), it looks like Fay's center is enlarging, which will probably weaken the system ... ?

As for generators, my husband and I bought one during our three-day power outage after Frances. Can't imagine anyone living in Florida since 2004 who hasn't jumped on the bandwagon and already gotten a generator!

Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Aug 21 2008 05:46 PM

Here just east of Tampa we have very close to ZERO effect from Fay, except that it seems to have REDUCED the amount of rain we would normally get during this time period at this point in the year. I am sure since I said this, it will now flood for us. I have actually only measured 0.16in of rain since Monday!!

Littlebit
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Aug 21 2008 06:24 PM

I agree Lamar. I was just in Tampa and they're getting rain from the feeder bands, but no rain here. I have noticed that the winds are gusting up to 15mph today. The highest gust that's registered on my weather station as of now has been 15.1mph. This is the most wind we've had so far from Fay. Of course, our power keeps blinking, but we're close to the strawberry fields and the cows so we lose electricity on a clear day.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Aug 21 2008 07:33 PM

Currently in Sanford, the wind has picked up a great deal and the rain is falling heavily, several roads in the area are flooded deep around me.

Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Aug 21 2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Currently in Sanford, the wind has picked up a great deal and the rain is falling heavily, several roads in the area are flooded deep around me.

I see that training through your area now. Looks like it is sagging southward and hopefully won't sit right over you for 24 hrs like North Melborne. We could actually use about an inch of rain in this area.....I know, be careful what you wish for. We HAVE had a couple pretty good but brief showers in the past 2 and a half hours, but that is it.

byrdlh
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 09:39 PM

Announced a couple of hours ago. Gulf, Franklin, and Liberty County schools closed tomorrow.

Bryan
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 21 2008 09:44 PM

It's gotten fairly nasty here in Maitland in the past 30 minutes. Windy/gusty and heavy rain.

angelhologram
(Registered User)
Fri Aug 22 2008 03:40 AM

UPDATE:
It's definately picked up here. Consistant wind of about 35-40mph with much stronger gusts. I sat in a chair on the porch and a gust moved the chair with me in it (135lbs + chair). I saw the sky lighting up pale yellow, blue, pink, lavender several times before realizing it was transformers blowing.
School closed in Duval, Nassau, Clay, Putnam, St Johns tomorrow.

Bill_hawe
(Registered User)
Fri Aug 22 2008 11:42 AM

Here in Tallahassee, Leon County has shut down the schools, but state offices are still open, The kicker, you only come into work, if you live in the county. Go figure.

Sky is heavy overcast, and we're getting the first rain bands shortly. We've locked down best we can and can only hope the water rolls downhill into the drains like they say it will.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Aug 22 2008 03:01 PM

More wind and rain than we've seen around here this week, but that's to be expected with the westerly fetch from the gulf. Some periods of calm followed by 15 - 25 MPH winds with slightly higher gusts. Light to moderate persistent rain. I'd expect heavier t-storms later tonight and tomorrow when the wind becomes southwesterly.

angelswatch
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Aug 22 2008 03:43 PM

Here in Homosassa Springs we have had 8 inches of rain since midnight and more still coming. Rain is falling lightly with sporadic down pours and large gusts as storm bands move through.

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Aug 22 2008 04:11 PM

Still getting feeder bands with rain and storms in Naples with more on the way. She was here early Tuesday morning. She should be long gone.

Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Aug 22 2008 05:50 PM

Finally getting some heavier bands of squalls now. Looks on radar like the COC is drifting south west as if drawn toward the waters of the GOM. I am a bit concerned about what we get overnight and tomorrow here if she picks up that warm moist air over the Gulf and flings it back on us like in Melborne. Coastal flooding will probably be the main concern, but there are a host of other potential probs as we have seen occur elsewhere. Batten down the hatches in the Tampa-St Pete are. I think it will be the proverbial 'Dark and Stormy Night'!!

Lee-Delray
(Weather Master)
Fri Aug 22 2008 06:09 PM
Re: Fay's New Love Affair - New Orleans?

getting a light show down here from a feeder band now. Hard to beleive Fay is over 300 miles away and it is still making our weather.

(Post moved to the apropriate Forum)

ZooKeeper
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Aug 23 2008 12:36 AM

It's been pretty quiet for the last couple of hours but it's starting to pick up again as we're bordering on the back wall of the storm. Winds picking up to about 20-22mph and just starting a hard rain. I'm in between Chiefland and Cedar Key and have seen some local flooding of a few area streets and the main county road that runs between these two areas have rain standing in the ditches about to overflow onto the road. We live on 40 acres with a small pond that has tributary flow from the Suwannee and the water has risen significantly so far today and expect quite a bit more tomorrow.

pcola
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 23 2008 12:45 PM

no rain yet here in Pensacola..but it is coming. Winds at 25mph with gusts to 35. It will definately not be a golf day.

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum)

Trekman
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Aug 23 2008 01:21 PM

It has rained a little bit here. The winds are around 10 mph, with a gust of about 21 mph. So far the impact in Okaloosa has been little if any. The winds are pushing the waves in the bay towards the island. And as I turn around and look outside the door, the rain is coming down a little harder now.

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum.)

Fla. native in Ala.
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 23 2008 11:50 PM
Re: Fay & Future Features

Well, here in South Central Alabama, we are getting a fair amount of wind (enough to make the power blink a bunch and bring tree branches down) and a lot of constant steady rain. While the rain is great, we really hope we can avoid tornado activity (although there are warnings in four nearby counties) and the flooding everybody in Fla. has had. Be happy for the "dud" on the coast. Hope N.O. is as lucky!

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum.)

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sun Aug 24 2008 09:37 AM

The white area is equal to 8 + inches of total rainfall. I know the WFO at FSU has had better than 11 inches. The west panhandle of Florida got real lucky with Fay. Some have made some comments about Fay not being "bad"... just a few miles made the difference here In NW FL as to what was bad or not... Please pay attention to the past couple of days, this is no joke.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center