Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sat Jul 06 2002 05:14 PM
GOM Area of Interest

The area well to the south southeast of New Orleans has the potential for slow development. Although associated with an upper level low, there is a good chance for an induced system over the next couple of days. Models keep the upper level low just about stationary for the next few days. SSTs are marginal, but adequate, and shear is light. I suspect that we'll see Invest 95L rather soon - something to pay attention to. NHC may take a look at this area on Sunday.
Cheers,
ED

Kevin
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 07 2002 09:46 AM
Marginal SST's?

I just looked at an SST map and the waters are 81-84 degrees in this area. I certainly wouldn't call that marginal. Ah, well, just asking.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Sun Jul 07 2002 10:21 AM
Re: Marginal SST's?

I guess that it depends on what SST analysis you look at. The Reynolds analysis, which is about a week old, indicates an SST of about 28C. Since 28C is considered as the minimum threshold for tropical cyclone development (there have been a few exceptions), I used the word 'marginal'. Both the Reynolds and the Otis analysis indicate that the current SSTs in that area are about 0.5 to 1.0C below where they should be for this time of year. Just noticed that NRL has started Invest 95 on the tropical site.
Cheers,
ED

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center