MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Fri Aug 13 2004 08:30 PM
Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing

9PM
Center of Charley over downtown Orlando. Orlando International Airpot (MCO) reported a windgust at 105MPH.

Original Update
Quick new topic. Hurricane Charley was upgraded to a Category 4 system with 145, and it has made landfall north of Ft. Myers

This brings the track over or near Olrando and east central Florida.

The site is overloaded now, and we'll run as best we can. Folks in the path would do better to listen to local media at this point. Feel free to ask questions and let us know what's happening in your area.

For us, the first rainband from Charley is approaching New Smyna Beach now, and I'm overlooking the halifax river, and south causeway and see the huge clouds looming in the west.

And there are two new depressions in the gulf, and one of them we will want to watch for next weekend....

Currently the National Hurricane Center has what I consider the best bet.

* site note * our automatic tracking map has been disabled temporarily due to a crash issue with the map generation program. Due to high usage, the site will be slow. We are hitting records well beyond Floyd numbers.

Event RelatedLinks
Hurricane City is having live audio and video broadcasts throughout the day on Bonnie/Charley and Jim's Audio show is from 8PM to 11PM EST
All model "Spaghetti" for Bonnie/Charlie from hurricanealley
Another Multi-Model Track plot for Charley

General Links
Current Aircraft Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL

Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,
Even more on the links page.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 08:42 PM
Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing

my best friend was ment to be flying home today, but i should imagine all flights have been cancelled, when would the flights be up and running again?

palmetto
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:01 PM
Re: Category 4 Hurricane Charley Landfalls north of Ft. Myers Central Florida Bracing

It depends on the amount of damage at the airports effected by Charley, I'd imagine.

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:02 PM
Flights

Heard on CBS radio up here that the airlines would try to resume flights by tomorrow...and if you had a ticket TO Fla, they'll refund your money if you want to change your vacation plans.

BTW, even up here, Charley is the TOP news story.

Just heard the Governor of either NC or SC has called for a state of emergency in preparation for Charley.

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:09 PM
Re: Flights

Here Smack Dab in Polk County, North West of the eye of Charley so far. We are calm, had a shower a while ago. There is no wind. We are facing whatever remains of Charley after dark, which is something I was hoping would not happen. I was hoping to be able to see the wind and debris so I would know which way to duck. But, we will survive. Can anyone who has some experience, tell us amateurs/novices what to realistically expect from the angle polk county is to this storm. The wind fields could change a great deal after being inland for 70 miles. Also is there a clear direction now that the eye is headed in? Thanks.

WeatherNLU
(Meteorologist)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:10 PM

I did not see the new thread. Wanted to slap this on here as well.

The reporter for NBC2 in Fort Myers was in Port Charlotte
and wasn't expecting much at first, but then when it made
that move a little more north he is now getting a direct hit. He
said Charley, which is moving right up Charlotte Harbor, is
completely destroying Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. He
said the water level is down 4 to 5 feet being just sucked out
of the Harbor. God help him when he gets the back end.

The guy's name Todd and he is in the eye right now reporting
live from the eye of a Category 4 hurricane. Amazing.

BTW, get ready to do this all again, the system east of the
islands is going to be TD5 at 5PM, and the GFDL has a 95KT
hurricane south of Cuba in a couple of days.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:16 PM

Hey Anonymous, I would just get on line with your friend's airline or airport to find out specific flight status. I had one friend fly out of Miami today and two more are coming in later but it's nothing down here-25 kts and cloudy with no rain.

There's two more depressions poised to become storms in the next 24 hours-tracking could get exhausting this week. Really hope everybody on the west coast and central FL are OK.

Michelle
longtime lurker-probably registered but can't remember password

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:17 PM

Here in Orlando...all is calm...however, by the looks of things it won't be for long. This was NOT the forcast I heard this morning!!! The local media is calling for winds of close to 100 mph in about 2 hours...i will check in later...

AmateurJohn
(Weather Watcher)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:24 PM

ABC Channel 28 in Tampa is having great coverage of Charley. Their meteorologist is the best I've ever seen. They've had a reporter in Punta Gorda at Charlotte Harbor all along. Imagine how surprised he was when Charley took his last-minute turn. Somehow he's managed to maintain telephone contact with the station and has continued his reporting from inside a Holiday Inn right on the Harbor. In his last report he said the eye went right over his head and as he was talking, the winds started back up from the opposite direction. He was planning to stay on the 2nd floor, but part of the roof blew off and he was forced back to the 1st floor. Now he's worried about the storm surge. He definitely sounded worried. Everyone's waiting to hear back from him.

A few minutes ago, 28 had another telephone report from a Port Charlotte resident. He lives in a manufactured home a 2 minute run from the harbor. He said his family was in a closet inside the house. He also saw the eye pass over his head and was getting a bit more concerned as the wind picked up again. As he was beginning to describe his concern about the storm surge, his voice turned into pure terror and he said "Gotta go now. Gotta go." That was so scarey. I hope he and his family are OK.

Charley is now just about due west of us, going through Arcadia now. We've had steady rain for about 45 minutes and the wind has picked up quite a bit. I'd guess 30-40mph wind. It looks like we'll miss the worst of it, but we will continue to keep our eyes and ears peeled.

StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:28 PM

SW Orlando here. (Near Hunter's Creek) Big storm moving in, lightning bolt just struck a couple of blocks away. Lights are starting to flicker.

WXMAN RICHIE
(Weather Master)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:31 PM
Arcadia FL

Local WPB channel 5 TV broadcaster is reporting live from Arcadia which is right now in the eyewall. He is reporting that the only shelter in Arcadia has just lost its roof. There were 300 people there as of 1 pm, mostly from the local trailer parks.

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:31 PM
Stormhound...

Huge big bad feeder band is on top of you right now (if you didn't know that). Be safe, hope your power stays on.

WXMAN RICHIE
(Weather Master)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:36 PM
Highest Winds

Highest wind reported so far, 127 mph gust at Punta Gorda.

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:39 PM
Polk County

I don't know if the winds are supposed to be east of us now or west of us now or right over us. 2 hours ago, we were supposed to get the brunt. An hour ago, my husband came in and said we were gonna miss it. I don't know what the margin of error is, but Charley is a pain in the BUTT.

By the way, I am in south Lakeland about 10 miles north of Bartow.

I heard that report on ABC 28 and I feel so sorry for those people. Dennis was practically pulling his hair out with Don Germaise in Punta Gorda, telling him to GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT.

The wind is definitely picking up, as is the rain. I imagine we are beginning to get whatever it is we are going to get.

Stay safe.....

Colleen

StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:45 PM
Re: Polk County

Thanks, Phil. Power still on at the moment.

Colleen. They just announced the storm should move into Orlando as still at Cat 2. Seems like that would put you on the west side of the storm, missing the eye not by much.

DMFischer
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:55 PM

Rockledge here, just a stones throw from cocoa. It feels very weird here, wind gusts, bursts of rain and then suddenly dead quiet. I thank everyone for the help list, we are well stocked now. Thank you. I am so thankful for this site and everyone posting. Thank you for keeping it up. Knowledge is power and as impotent as that power is against charley, its still better than blind ignorance. I am going to try to stay on and let everyone know what happens out this way. My prayers are with everyone in the path of this monster.
Godspeed to all.
MomFischer

WXMAN RICHIE
(Weather Master)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:56 PM

Hi Colleen,

The eye is just entering Hardee County, Polk county is the next stop. It seems to be moving just a bit E of due north now. Looks like the eye will be just barely to your east and I mean barely. However you may ride the west side of the eyewall.

Chatty
(Registered User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 09:57 PM

Hello all. I am the new kid on the block here. I work for the Department of Fire Programs. We are buttoning down our hatches here in Richmond, Virginia. Though we do not expect to be hit by Charley, we are looking for the winds and rain to do some major damage. We have had soooooo much rain lately, that Chrley would only but push a hugh tree litely, and down it comes. Flooding is another issue for us. Lots of low land that will bound to be hit hard with water.

"Damn the topedos! Full speed ahead everyone!"

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:01 PM
Tornadoes

Tornado Warnings have been numerous across Central Florida, had one for our county earlier as a band of Tornadic Thunderstorms moved through. Funnel clouds were reported in my local area, and conditions got real rough for a time. I think we actually had a funnel cloud pass very close by. Right now, we are about to go through a second band of thunderstorms, but otherwise, just drizzle and calm winds, but thats going to be changing.

BTW Colleen, like the likening of the weather radio to a batphone, your batphone must have been going off like crazy.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:05 PM

Weather report from Northwest Orange County

Heavy rain, but it's coming straight down. Occasional wind gust.

What are we getting from other places?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:06 PM
South Carolina

I live in Charleston and SC Governor Sanford declared a state of emergency and there are mandatory evacuations for Georgetown and Horry counties that are East of US-17.

SirCane
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:07 PM

Don't mean to be a bringer of bad news, but we could be in for more action next week......

http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200405_5day.html

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/WATL/IR4/20.jpg

This looks like it's going to be a rough season!! ALLL of US on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts need to be prepared this time of year!

WXMAN RICHIE
(Weather Master)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:10 PM
Arcadia FL Update

(See previous post too). The roof of the only shelter in Arcadia has come off. The actual amount of people in the shelter at the time of roof collapse was 1,245!! People are reported being trapped. Officials have not been able to get out to the scene at this time.

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:17 PM
Re: Arcadia FL Update

Just saw on the WKMG-TV website that two people were killed and a number of people were trapped on the Bee Line Expressway (FL 528) in a possible storm-related wreck...

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:19 PM

Ft. Myers post office lost its roof, along with other buildings.

HanKFranK
(User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:21 PM
close to home

my grandparents are sitting in my living room right now. they were up here on other business, but kinda glad they're not down at home right now.. from bartow, in polk county. i have an elderly aunt and uncle who live in the vast strip mine/ranch land in western hardee county.. eye is just thirty minutes to their south. one is 90 and lives alone.. i'm not encouraged. wondering if my grandparents are going to have a habitable home to return to... center should move close to or over bartow in about an hour or an hour and a half. lots of stuff to wreck in polk county.. manufactured homes and trailers... i have more relatives up near orlando.. for once my post is quite personal.
i'm thinking charley will exit the state up near palm coast or st. augustine.. probably a much weaker storm for the carolinas.
first time in a while we've seen a hurricane on a rapid strengthening spike come ashore.. pressure dropped from a mild 969mb when i left for work this morning to 941 at landfall.. heinous.
t.d. 4 out near the cape verdes is way out there and developing early.. therefore it's long-term chances of making it across are low.
t.d. 5 is from the bonnie/charley school of thought. interesting to see that it's being assigned a cookie-cutter track right through the same stomping grounds of it's predecessors. not even funny.. but it has a ways to go for that to play out.
minor potential for development in the central atlantic near 30/60. watching with detached interest. bonnie still at hpc depression being tracked offshore.. looks extratropical to me. splattered.
i'm very irked. buckle down hardee/polk/osceola.. orlando metro. lots of wind coming. friday the 13th.
HF 2221z13august

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:23 PM
Attachment
Early Rain Band

Here is a pic I took of the first rainband as it rolled over Casselberry (20 miles N of Orlando) around 3pm. As of right now (6:22PM), we are in the midst of a second, far stronger rainband with torrential rains and a lot of thunder...but not much wind.

Lou

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:28 PM
Re: Early Rain Band

Got a question about the wind speed.

WFTV is saying the winds are down to 80 mph. That seems awfully quick to go from a category four to nearly a tropical storm. I mean, that is a 60 mph decrease in an hour and a half since landfall???? Hugo hit South Carolina with winds of 150, I believe, and then hit Charlotte with 110 mph winds 200 miles inland. Donna hit the same area and hit Orlando with 90-100 mph winds.

Could this be acurate?

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:28 PM
Attachment

Here is a picture I just took 5 minutes ago of the torrential rain pounding my house in Casselberry as we speak. Some flooding of the streets and ground is already beginning. We are in for a LONG nite. Officials are forecasting 95 mph SUSTAINED at my location around 10 pm tonite.

--Lou

Chad
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:46 PM

At 20 miles east of Cedar Key we dodged the bullet...apparently.
Currently an extreme outer band is producing some rain and no wind.
Forecast for tonight is 40-45mph with gusts to 85.

As I've been telling my family and neighbors...it's never a waste of time to prepare...regardless of where the storm goes.

(hope this doesn't post twice...first time had an error msg)

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:50 PM
Ominous Picture

My first post this year. I am so praying hard for everyone's safety. Reports we are seeing are as one would imagine for a Cat 4! Stay safe, and God be with you all going through. Looks like it is taking a jog north??? Was that projected? Lou your picture shows the fury for sure!

Kimmie

StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:53 PM

Quote:

Got a question about the wind speed.

WFTV is saying the winds are down to 80 mph. That seems awfully quick to go from a category four to nearly a tropical storm. I mean, that is a 60 mph decrease in an hour and a half since landfall???? Hugo hit South Carolina with winds of 150, I believe, and then hit Charlotte with 110 mph winds 200 miles inland. Donna hit the same area and hit Orlando with 90-100 mph winds.

Could this be acurate?

Doesn't sound right to be, but I've been seeing all sorts of wierd wind reports. One station is reporting we'll see Cat 2 winds in Orlando, another says 75mph winds. I've got no idea who's right. I'm not sure *they* know.

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:56 PM
Re: Ominous Picture

Looks like Orlando is gonna get the worst of it tonight. Was listening to WDBO-AM's stream and just now the EAS tone popped in and they're under a TORNADO WARNING for Southern Lake County, Orange County and NW Osceola County for damaging winds of 100mph until 745pm. They also siad the leading edge of the eyewall should be hitting in about 45 minutes. The NWS manager in Orlando said Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Orlando and the attractions area will feel the brunt until 9pm

StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 10:59 PM

Quote:

Looks like Orlando is gonna get the worst of it tonight. Was listening to WDBO-AM's stream and just now the EAS tone popped in and they're under a TORNADO WARNING for Southern Lake County, Orange County and NW Osceola County for damaging winds of 100mph until 745pm. They also siad the leading edge of the eyewall should be hitting in about 45 minutes. The NWS manager in Orlando said Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Orlando and the attractions area will feel the brunt until 9pm

I just got the warning via e-mail. Looks like past 9pm.
THE THREAT FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND TORNADOES WILL LAST THROUGH 9 PM
OR LONGER.

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:26 PM

Just to change gears a bit, But the Weather Channel is reporting mandatory evacuations in Horry County, SC east of US 17. This would include the entire city of Myrtle Beach. Also US 501 will be changed to all westbound, looks like that they're thinking that Charley once it's out in the Atlantic will head their way....any ideas what the projected path is for it's Atlantic route?

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:36 PM
Disney under the gun...

Folks in Orlando should expect this bad boy to arrive about 9:15-9:30ish, but there are some serious feeder bands/concentric winds to arrive in short order. Hope you are all OK! Watch out for the tornadoes in these bands.

Just now getting some awesome footage of what has taken place earlier.

Hope everyone is doing OK..

Peace out and godspeed to all,

LI Phil

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:37 PM

Jeff, I'm in Murrell's Inlet, just south of Myrtle. Too early to see anything here. We even had the sun out for a moment this afternoon...as you say, the tourons are bailing, along with some locals...we'll see...

BillD
(User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:39 PM

Just look at the 5 PM EDT NHC 3 day forecast, a picture is worth a thousand words... but It takes Charley out over water, and then back on shore right around the SC/NC border.

Bill

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:39 PM
Re: Disney under the gun...

Thanks Phil,
I'm 25 miles North of Disney and its raining but fairly calm here.
Strange to be 50 miles from a Cat 1 or low 2 and not be seeing any trop storm winds. Possible that the eye will pass within 10 miles of me. If so, I expect conditions to get bad for an hour or so.

Will let you know how it goes if I don't loose power.

spookmcg
(Registered User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:42 PM
Re: close to home -- storm report

Talked to a friend in the Venice/Englewood area just north of Port Charlotte. Took his parents to a shelter, but they're back home now. Very little damage. Didn't see any trees down. Some string that he had left in their patio after tying stuff down was still in the same place. Electricty okay. Didn't note any storm surge. Pretty darn lucky! And I'm quite relieved that there will be limited impact (hopefully) in Gainesville, as there are alot of trees around my house that cause me concern....
Sue McG

StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:43 PM
SW Orlando

Still nothing bad going on here. The core is supposed to start moving in over the next hour or so. We'll see.

Ronn
(User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:44 PM

Here are the obs from my weather station just north of St. Petersburg in Pinellas County.

Wind: N at 16 MPH
Pressure: 29.79 In. / 1009 Mb.
Total Rain: 0.12 In.

I posted this observation to show just how compact this storm actually is. I am just a little over 50 miles from the center of the storm right now and I am not experiencing anything close to tropical storm force winds. Additionally, I have received hardly any rainfall. This compact storm reminds me of Bret (Cat 4) several years ago that hit southern Texas. People were amazed at how small of an area received significant damage.

My prayers are with all those who took the brunt of Charley.

God Bless,
Ronn

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:51 PM
Weather Conditions

Winds here in Lake County getting a little breezier, we are about 26 miles NW of Orlando, so i am wondering exactly what we will get. We may also enter the concentric part of the Hurricane, so winds and rain may increase in intensity as that occurs.

AgentB
(Weather Guru)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:53 PM
Re: Weather Conditions

Ormond Beach here. It's pouring with constant lightning and thunder. Wind is blowing pretty good as well. Looks to be one of the severe outside feeder bands moving through. Got very dark as well.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:53 PM

This thing is a joke. I mean, c'mon guys. For all of the hype that was put up around this, they have to look hard, even on the Southwest coast, for widespread serious damage. There is no WIDESPREAD serious damage.

(I'm leaving this up for now, as HF is just dying to make his first edit. DO NOT post stuff like this...you are about to receive some serious weather and the underestimation of the seriousness of this storm could prove fatal. Make another post like this and it will be GONE, I can promise you that.)

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:54 PM
An update and a thanks

Last evening, John C. let me put up my first "article" post. It may have received more "hits" than any other due to the seriousness of the storm. I am particularly glad I posted two pieces, which I hope everyone read and was able to take action on:

>>> While it is entirely possible this storm could de-intensify or change course, it is also quite possible this system could intensify to Category IV.
and

>>> This COULD (emphasis on could) be one for the record books.

While I would love to take "credit" (such as it is) for such a prescient prediction, this entire board, directly or indirectly, owes an incredible amount of gratitude to Ed Dunham. He didn't want it made known, for fear of panic, that this storm would behave as it did, but he tipped me off early Tuesday that this was going to be a monster. We're by no means out of the woods, but I did tip off a few of the regulars to the fact that we were facing a potentially life-threatening situation.

ED rocks! I will NEVER question another thing he says, and neither should anyone who posts here, and that includes the regulars who think he "EDits" too hard. Well, I'd rather have him slicing and dicing my posts (which he does quite regularly) than to not have his presence here.

It's still too early to quit being vigilant, but I'm aiming my first toast of the evening towards ED. I believe he's actually shoring up his own abode in Melbourne (well, he's probably completed those plans already).

Charley is still packing 80MPH plus winds so everyone in his path remain vigilant.

Once again, good luck and godspeed to all.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't also send out a shout to John & Mike for hosting this site, and to my co-mod HanKFranK.

Everyone be safe...
and...

>>> This COULD (emphasis on could) be one for the record books.

h2ocean
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Aug 13 2004 11:58 PM

Here on South Merritt Island, it is getting very windy...I can hear it all through the house. As the feeder bands go by it is gusting into the 50's and we have had several power surges. I put up the panels today just in case.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:00 AM

I was edited!!! I'm a child of the 60's and I have serious problems with someone editing what I feel are valid thoughts.
So much for freedem of opinion on this board, pal.

>>>Yeah, well this aint the 60's no more. I'm all for freedom of expression, but not here, not now. The next step is to block your IP address...which, I can assure you, will happen. Post relevantly and don't make light of this storm. Your post stays up...for now. This is still a very serious storm, and if you are not receiving the brunt end of it, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:01 AM

conditions in Northwest Orlando, 12 miles from downtown.
Moderate to light rain, gusts to maybe 20 mph. and that's a generous maybe.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:04 AM

I'm in far Northwest Orlando. Let's get real here, people. the Hurricane force and even tropical storm force winds are such a small tight area, you have to go look for it. This storm will not spell widespread damage. I don't mean to minimize it for those who do feel it, but this is NOT a biggie.

(See above)

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:14 AM

Quote:

I'm in far Northwest Orlando. Let's get real here, people. the Hurricane force and even tropical storm force winds are such a small tight area, you have to go look for it. This storm will not spell widespread damage. I don't mean to minimize it for those who do feel it, but this is NOT a biggie.

A bit too early to say that, most areas nobody is at, and the area between that part of Florida and Orlando isn't all that populated. It's very possible, but we really won't know until tomorrow.

I'd wait until its gone before I'd make statements like that. It still hasn't reached the orlando area yet. But I can see where you might think it.

StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:17 AM
Hunter's Creek Area

Things are deteriorating quickly now. Very high winds. It looks like we'll get the core area in front of the eye.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:19 AM
charlie

Are you in Orlando?
how close to disney?
I have a neice in hotel there

(Hoping your neice is OK, I'm going to AGAIN invoke the HF rule: Post anonymously and it will be deleted. You don't have to register, just ID yourself from now on...)

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:21 AM
Re: charlie

The Attractions area (disny) is going to get it more than me. This thing is so small and so compact....widespread damage will be negative.

BillD
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:22 AM

If I were a moderator I would have deleted all of your posts.

It is very likely that many people have died in this storm, and currently over 1,000,000 are without power, and by the time it goes past Orlando, possibly another 1,000,000.

The damage path is narrow, but it is very destructive. Who are you to decide if that is important or not?

Having gone through Andrew, which was also a very narrow band of destruction, I can tell you that it was days before anyone realized how bad it was. And it was bad.

I knew yesterday that this was going to be a killer storm, but like Phil and others here, we did not hype that all over the board. For you to come out and say that this is nothing is outrageous and unacceptable.

And this is a private board, so the C brothers can do what they want with the messages here, and the more garbage posts like yours I read the more I want them to lock this board down.

Bill

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:23 AM
Hey, Orlando waiting...

You trying to bust my chops? Don't waste the effort, I can assure you of that.

>>> The Attractions area (disny) is going to get it more than me.

It's "Disney" and how I wish the opposite were true. Knock it off.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:25 AM

Sorry, I didn't know the rules, Thank you

DMFischer
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:26 AM

I just took a peek outside and stood on the porch for a few minutes watching the wind. They are gusting pretty good and I even watched some garbage swirl by, at house top level. Few times the gusts have made me look at the roof. I just heard on 13 that there is a report of 160 homes leveled, and that is while the storm is still moving. This is far from over.
uhoh, the windows are suddenly being whammed with wind gusts. damn thats scary.
MomFischer

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:26 AM

Orlando feeling the effects of Charley at 8:20pm.
In south orlando the wind and rain is picking up. Rain blowing horizontally.
Some shingles blowing off of roofs being reported.
Storm is moving up the I-4 corridor.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:29 AM
Re: Hey, Orlando waiting...

Only registered users can post replies to news articles now, didn't want to do this, but at this time its the best I can do. Other forums like the storm forum and disaster forum are open to everyone, however.

Sorry folks I like it being easier to reply than having the hassle of registration, but when things get hairy sometimes we need to do this. Registration is open however, so feel free to do it.

Waiting, this wasn't for what you posted, but I can see it start to go downhill from here so its time to put the breaks on it.

Floridacane
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:32 AM

Here in Palm Bay, we're getting the 1st of the nasty weather. It's getting gusty and raining pretty good. Everyone in the Orlando/Orange County area, please stay safe.

God Bless

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:33 AM

While I would not call this storm a joke in any manner, I have been really surprised at how close to the center we had to get before we got any winds. I live northwest of Orlando and we just started getting gusty winds. The talk leading up to this storm had tropical storm force winds up to 100 miles was from the center. I don't think I've gotten tropical storm force winds except for about five minutes during the first squall. I'm sure I'll get more, but I'm pretty sure if you're not 30 miles close to the center, it's not going to be worse than an afternoon thunderstorm. Those near the center are going through hell, and I don't underestimate the power of that.
I'm just surprised at how small the wind radius is. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable might be able to discuss why the wind radius became so small.

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:35 AM

According to the Weather Channel....preliminary reports from Captiva Island....160 homes destroyed and another 160 damaged....

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:40 AM

The wind radius was always really small - it's just that the focus for a potential landfall point has always been so large due to the track Charley took. Charlie's a storm like Andrew - very small, but cutting a path like no other through where the eyewall goes.

Latest obs at OIA on the SE side of Orlando have sustained winds just under tropical storm force. My parents live on the SW side of Orlando and are feeling the effects as we speak. Transformers just blew a few miles south of downtown and power will likely go out to the majority of Orlando in the not-so-distant future. Winds are still way up there and any microburst is going to bring down 80+ kt winds - as recorded from the Melbourne radar - to the surface and wreak havoc.

South Orange/North Osceola Cos. have been under tornado warnings three separate times for four tornadoes today, and the threat of tornadoes remains throughout the evening. The center is about to cross into Osceola Co. and pass very near or over Disney. Orlando looks in line for a direct hit. Though it's dark, Orlandoweather.com has live cameras from downtown Orlando and north of Orlando at the Ch. 2 studios...there may be some interesting photos in the next couple of hours.

From there, Daytona Beach looks to be under the gun. This storm has very nearly followed US 17 up the state and I imagine a drive down that road will be very, very telling in the weeks and months to come. The islands - Sanibel, Captiva - may be uninhabitable for the foreseeable future. Many, many people were spared this evening, but many others have seen their lives affected permanently. I can only hope that my parents and all of my friends in Orlando can make it through the storm relatively unprepared and ultimately undamaged.

If you're reading this from the Orlando area, get offline and turn off the electricity to all non-essential items. It's the smart thing to do and can help save your property in the long run. This is a very serious and dangerous situation, and I cannot emphasize that enough.

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:42 AM

I am in Polk County and we were on the Western side of the eyewall. This storm was fierce. I am not able to estimate the winds but there will definitely be some wind damage, flooding and people in poorly constructed buildings or just catching the wind at the wrong angle will have had problems. IT is dark out and we will have to wait til morning to assess what really happened here. But there has been a storm. After a while the wind blows so long and so hard it does not matter how intense the wind is, something will give.
The barometric pressure is very intense when this storm is approaching. Thankfully it is mercifully short.

Aunt Debbie S
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:49 AM
charlie/ORlando

Thank you for posting this info,... I have a neice in a hotel one mile from disney,... we are looking for any info we can get,... we talked to her about an hour ago,... we're from Upstate NY,( so is she) so we are very worried, and your knowledgeable info is appreciated.
I'll continue to read for updates.

troy2
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:51 AM
Cape Canaveral report

Getting windier. Not much rain yet, excpet for earlier in the first big band...Wind has really starte dto pick up in the last 30 minutes...

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:51 AM

According to WKMG's web site a report of about 100 people in Lake Wales in Polk County were injured from Charley. So far all I've heard is 2 fatalities today and they were from traffic accidents.2 roof collapses in Charlotte County according to the Weather Channel. And looking at the radar now on TWC, looks like downtown Orlando is getting the eyewall now.

(Further update from Polk County for the 100 injury report, according to the PIO of Polk County, it was at a nursing home)

troy2
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:54 AM
Re: Cape Canaveral report

rain mixing in with the wind..wind changing direction a bit...more south now it seems

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:02 AM
Impressive Wind

Charley is certainly not a cyclone to be underestimated, impressive video has been shown on local tv (Channel 9) of the news reporter being held up by the wind, as she tried to fall into it. Clearly, this storm still has potential for destruction.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:10 AM
Re: Impressive Wind

Did you happen to see what steve lyons said about the TV crew in Port Charlotte.
They were filming at the water's edge in winds so high they had to kneel down.
Steve Lyons said "those guys don't have any business being outside in that with a landfalling hurricane"
Next time they showed the same crew they were doing a live shot and got pounded by a large amount of 20 ft long pvc water pipe. Everything hit the ground, camera and all.
Steve lost his "cool" on that crew, never saw him get mad before.
**Folks if Charley is still south of you. Stay at home or in a safe building. You can't see tornadoes, fallen tress and wires at night.**

WXMAN RICHIE
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:14 AM

Orlando International just gusted to 105 mph!!!!!!

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:17 AM
Danny-boy

Good observations...

>>> Steve Lyons said "those guys don't have any business being outside in that with a landfalling hurricane

I'm not going to bash TWC ATTM, but the regulars know my feelings on SL. To me, it seems he never met a hurricane he'd run from. Gimme the late John Hope or even Jon Nese

Hoping all your friedls and family are safe...

I remain,

LI Phil

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:18 AM

Just checked the Tampa and Melbourne radar base velocity products. They are both showing 97kt winds from the center.

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:30 AM

I was on the road all day today and didn't get to check or monitor the progress of Charley.... The radio just doesn't cut it.... you'd get about a 1 minute update every hour or so....I just read about 150 or so posts... what a great venue to get the feel of what happened, and thought of posters directly involve with the storm.... I tried to post last night but couldn't... not sure why... I just hope the damage is not too bad.... I'm sure the recovery is under way as I write this.... at least for the areas that have alread been hit... there is still some seriously bad weather left with this system

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:52 AM

quickly...

Situation deteriorating at NSB, wind gusts getting higher. Power flickering.

WESH tv (Channel 2) has audio only, no video signal.
WFTV (Channel 9) has power and radar (but on backup)
WKTS (Channel 6) has backup power and NO radar

Probably last update as its getting rough here. Good luck all.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:53 AM

FLORIDA REGIONAL WEATHER ROUNDUP
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY RUSKIN FL
900 PM EDT FRI AUG 13 2004
http://weather.cod.edu/danatext.html

SANFORD HVY RAIN 76 73 91 E36G45 29.75F FOG
ORLANDO EXEC HVY RAIN 73 72 94 E54G70 29.39F FOG
ORLANDO INTL HVY RAIN 73 73 100 E61G83 29.33F VSB 1/2

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:23 AM

Well, we just went through the center of Charley here in Casselberry (25 miles N of Orlando). Winds were extremely severe for over an hour (local mets measured 80-90mph in my home-town). The wind has now died down considerably, tho the rain is still very heavy. Through the storm, we hunkered down in a hallway, hearing loud thumps strike the walls and roof of my house repeatedly.
With the storm lessening, I just went outside to check out the damage. I was stunned by the severity. I no longer have a fence around the pool in my backyard. Large trees are down all around, some uprooted, others snapped off. Shingles from a neighbor's house are strewn all over the street. The rain was torrential...and much of my neighborhood is knee-deep in water. While I was outside, a transformer in the next street exploded...sounded like repeated rifle shots with bright blue flashing. Surprisingly, I did not lose the electricity. All the power lines in my immediate neighborhood are underground. Historically, we have been very lucky to keep power in even the most extreme storms.
As I write this, the winds have picked up again, though not as intense as earlier. All in all, we were very lucky with Charley. The house structure is intact....though one window leaked quite badly. I'll upload some damage pics in the morning when the sun comes up.

--Lou

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:29 AM
NOAA Weather Radio

Does anyone know if the Orlando Weather Radio transmitter is damaged or out of service, because i am not picking up the station now.

BabyCat
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:33 AM
Re: NOAA Weather Radio

Danielle just got named...
TD#4

The reports out of SW Fla. are really heartbreaking...

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:38 AM

Based on the above report. I would guess it was without power or Tower. Where is it located?
*ps:I hope you have good surge protectors in your homes. Underground power lines are good, but somewhere down the line they get their power from overhead and that's where most of the surges start.
Good luck!

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:39 AM
Some reports....

A good friend and amateur radio buddy of mine is the Chief Engineer of the Clear Channel radio group here in Panama City...he is currently en route to Montgomery, AL to pick up 4 FM radio transmitters, then he is headed south to Punta Gorda.

4 of the 5 Clear Channel station in Ft Myers are off the air, the fifth is running fractional power. The studios have no roof. (they are located in Punta Gorda). There is currently no public service of any type there, No lights, no phone, no water, no gas. According to thee Chief Engineer there, there is little left in the area around his studios. The only way that the station could communicate their plight to the outside world was the weak fractional signal they they had left on their remaining transmitter...

It is going to be a long time before some areas recover down there...the thoughts and prayers of me and my family go out to all of you that were in, or are in the path.

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:40 AM

If the power goes out, i think the weather radio still has a backup mode it goes into, you can usually hear a double beep in the background of the broadcast.

Winds gusting quite a bit here now, still pretty strong, but no damage as of yet, and we still have power, although i am told the city next to us is without power.

Aunt Debbie S
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:44 AM

Would these problems also result in loss of cellular phone service?
Any damage reports out of Orlando?
How can I find news from there?

BabyCat
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:48 AM
Re: Some reports....

I was listening to one Clear Channel earlier but no more.
I have been watching ABC-7 stream. They have some footages taken of Punta Gorda earlier. Horrible. Haven't heard alot of Port Charlotte but what I have heard is quite sad.

I hope I have heard the worst and the news won't get sadder.

At least Danielle is suppose to only antagonize the fish...

SirCane
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:54 AM

Quote:

At least Danielle is suppose to only antagonize the fish...

Not TD 5 I don't believe, unfortunately.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:55 AM
Re:Local Storm Reports

melbourne office local reports
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/cgi-bin/productviewer.php?product=LSRMLB&version=0

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:55 AM
Orlando report

My parents live in SW Orlando, about 2 miles east of Sea World. They went through the northern eyewall and into what was left of Charlie's eye. Their power flickered for a long time before finally going out as the eye passed. No significant damage in their area - a few gutters down on some houses, small trees blown over, plants uprooted - but they live in a relatively new area without many trees to topple.

I have a friend who lives a few miles NE of there in south Orlando (specifically, Edgewood). He's reporting many, many trees down, with transformers blowing continually all over town. A couple of trees have fallen on his house without causing major damage, but others nearby aren't so lucky. A couple of houses have been destroyed it appears, and power has been out there for a long time now. They were lucky in that the trees that went down missed most of their property. He quoted that his brother had a window that, on the horizon, 6 trees blocked the view. Now, only one of those 6 are left standing.

Trying to get ahold of my friend who has family on the east side of town, near the airport, as that appears to be where the worst damage occured. No word on there yet, though. Airport recorded a 105mph gust with sustained winds at 70mph for a significant period of time. Pressure was falling rapidly - 15mb in 20min by my estimation - before that sensor went out. They had to change to automated obs, but at least their station stayed on - not many others further south did.

U.S. 17 is going to be the focus for much of the damage, and it is not going to be pretty. Those with no business in the area should stay away for the next few weeks, as the clean up will be long. Between Punta Gorda and the Kissimmee area, the towns are small but mobile homes dot the landscape. It is not a highly developed area, but has residents spread about the countryside. Many of these residences are not built well and I expect there will be reports of thousands of homes destroyed along Charley's path.

Tower cams in Orlando and on the north side are showing many areas - save those with generators - out of power. The main power plant for Orlando (that I know of, at least) is on the southeast side of town and experienced the full force of Charley's wrath. Power may be out to residents served by that plant for several days, especially if there are other impediements - as there are sure to be - across the town.

The center of Charley looks to pass offshore near or just north of Daytona Beach in the next couple of hours. Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, and New Smyrna look to be under the gun for some high winds and 3"/hr rainfall rates for the immediate future. More thoughts on its future later...

Ormond Suzie
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:16 AM

Ormond Beach north mainland here - power has finally gone and eye seems to be close, probably just south of us. I'm on power back-up, so can't post anything long.

Aunt Debbie S
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:17 AM
Re:Local Storm Reports

I just found an online radio station in Orlando that is giving reports from all over the state,.... you can listen online:
http://580wdbo.com
then click on the listen link,... you have to sign up, then you can listen. It's AM 580 WDBO radio)
Very thorough interviews

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:25 AM
Re:Charley

As best I can tell without a better map. Charley crossed at or over Disney World and is moving along Interstate 4. Looks to be close to Daytona at this time. 03:25Z
Ormand Beach is a better guess. Seems to be slanted southward a bit, from the bottom to the top.

palmetto
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:32 AM

I'm not quite sure how to ask this, but...here goes.

Charley's about to enter out over extremely warm water off Daytona/Jacksonville--is it going to re-intensify or is it going to stay as relatively weak as it is now? (Still dangerous, but nowhere near the monster that came knocking at the door of the west coast today.)

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:42 AM

Good Question. Hope this will answer it.
AT 11 PM EDT...0300Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE CHARLEY WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 29.1 NORTH... LONGITUDE 81.1 WEST OR ABOUT 10 MILES
SOUTHWEST OF DAYTONA BEACH FLORIDA.

CHARLEY IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 25 MPH...AND THIS
MOTION IS EXPECTED TO WITH AN INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED DURING THE
NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF CHARLEY WILL
MOVE INTO THE ATLANTIC NEAR DAYTONA BEACH DURING THE NEXT HOUR OR
TWO...THEN MOVE NEAR OR OVER THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST SATURDAY
MORNING.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 85 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SLOW
STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST ONCE THE CENTER OF CHARLEY MOVES BACK
OVER WATER

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:44 AM
Re:Daytona Weather

Looks like the ASOS/AWOS at Daytona airport either lost power or lost instrumentation. Last report was over an hour ago.
KDAB 140213Z 09025G41KT 1 1/2SM +RA BR BKN025 BKN032 OVC050 24/22 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 10041/0211 PRESFR P0012

Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:46 AM

>>ED rocks! I will NEVER question another thing he says, and neither should anyone who posts here, and that includes the regulars who think he "EDits" too hard.

Here . Thanks Ed(it).

Recmod,

Those photos were awesome. Hitting some bloody marys tonight (added celery salt, worcestershire, pepper, lemmon, lime, olives, pickled beans) while enjoying some hurricane snippits and the Saints victory.

I can't wait to see all the damage photos on the web and tv tomorrow after some of the camera crews can get to some of the isolated spots. I heard some prelmiinary reports on abc-7.com (Port Charlotte during the eye) of 15 billion +. That would put Charley in the top few of all times. However, as OrlandoWaiting said, it could have been MUCH worse had the eye come ashore a little farther north.

alan,

How'd your friend fare? Hopefully he's okay.

Steve

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:50 AM

Quote:

Those photos were awesome. Hitting some bloody marys tonight (added celery salt, worcestershire, pepper, lemmon, lime, olives, pickled beans) while enjoying some hurricane snippits and the Saints victory.

Steve, you obviously aren't a true southerner...you can't have a southern Bloody Mary without pickled OKRA...not beans.

Next up on the tropical front....Charley and South/North Carolina...should be a cat 1 or 2 by then, and then TD 5 (Earl) down the road.

So much for a slow season....

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:57 AM
Re:Peak Winds at airports

KMCO 140117Z AUTO 16067G82KT 2SM R36R/5500VP6000FT RA BR BKN008 OVC011 23/23 RMK AO2 PK WND 12091/0105 P0029 TSNO $

KORL 140139Z 17055G71KT 5SM -RA BR SCT001 OVC007 23/23 A2896 RMK AO2 PK WND 12074/0129 WSHFT 0125 P0055
**A2896-was the lowest reported pressure from the 4 airports during the period 00Z-03Z.**

KSFB 140213Z 16050G80KT 1SM +RA BR BKN008 OVC013 23/23 A2904 RMK AO2 PK WND 12080/0209 PRESFR P0034

KDAB 140213Z 09025G41KT 1 1/2SM +RA BR BKN025 BKN032 OVC050 24/22 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 10041/0211 PRESFR P0012
**this was the last report, before the station or power failed**

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:00 AM
Charley's future

Charley is emerging off the coast near Daytona Beach at this time - I'll be interested to see what TWC has when they can start up live reports once again. Sanford reported a wind gust to 92mph. Got another report from a friend on damage on the east side of Orlando - doesn't look good. Numerous trees down, some on houses, and thinking it may be a few days to get everything cleared out. He's heading there tomorrow with supplies, as they will likely be short to come by in Orlando, to help out his family. No word from St. Cloud, where my family has a lot of friends, but I can't imagine it's going to be very good - many, many trees in the older residential parts of that town, with potential tornado reports earlier in the day in the newer parts of town to the east and to the south.

The waters off of the Florida coast are warm, but the NHC is correct in saying that they are not as warm as off of Ft. Myers. I took a look at the SST map for that area and there indeed is a warm pool from the southern tip of Florida up to near where the storm made landfall; this likely contributed to the increase in intensity before it made landfall. However, despite the difference in temperatures, it's not great and really is the difference between about 85 and 88 degrees. The system is moving fast enough to the NE to make shear less of a concern for future development. The inner core held together very well as it crossed the state of Florida, almost surprisingly so in fact. Most models take the storm inland again in 12-18 hrs in Myrtle Beach, with some minor strengthening forecast, followed by a path up the eastern seaboard. That's what the NHC is going with, but I've got a couple of qualms.

First, Charlie's landfall - like Alex, like Bonnie - has shown a rightward bias. There is a common problem with these storms in the models, and I tend to think a second landfall will likely be further east once again - and not just for this reason. Wilmington to the Cape - Alex's region - is where I'm looking, which would keep the center over water longer. But, everyone up the SC & NC coasts should be prepared.

Coincidentally, with the warm waters and relatively low storm-relative shear on the path I foresee, some additional strengthening is likely. The latest shear analysis shows 50kt of shear along the shore, but offshore it is only around 30kt. Without the trough digging very much and Charley moving at about 25mph right now, relative shear is still going to be relatively low for awhile over the waters - probably 5-15mph, gradually increasing with time. The NHC thinks there will be more, likely a consequence on their forecast, which could well verify. However, I think there is the potential for this storm to strengthen more than they anticipate.

Relatively warm waters with a well-defined inner core and not entirely unfavorable conditions all play a role in my reasoning. But, the question becomes, how much strengthening? While one of my friends who I trust is saying it could well get to cat. 4 again, I'm not buying that strong. I would not be surprised to see a high end cat. 2 - maybe around 105-110mph - at landfall. Note that the NHC is lower, around 90mph; I'm not discounting this, but am pointing out the potential for more than they forecast. Landfall somewhere between Wilmington and the Cape (Hatteras) is likely in the 18hr time frame, plus or minus a few hours. People along the NC & SC coasts need to be rushing plans to completion because this storm certainly is not done with wreaking havoc as of yet.

I've heard some stories from inside the Florida EOC today that are not all too flattering about how the Hurricane Center has handled Charley, and on the outside from what I've seen, I can agree to a point. However, they are still the authorities and still should be the ones to trust in any situation like this...I just disagree with them underestimating this storm's potential consistantly, particularly once inland. Telling a county's emergency mgmt. team that they are going to experience 75-85mph winds when the storm is over them with their own advisories saying the winds are at 115mph is just not right. The local NWS groups have handled this very well, though I hope there is no backlash in Tampa from evacuating everyone...one only need point at Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, and Orlando to see what could have been. This is going to be a wake up call for the entire state, and despite being fairly well prepared this time, many in Orlando were not prepared for that they experienced. Next time, they will be.

Watch Charley for the next day or two, then it should finally be out of our hair. Don't discount more strengthening than the NHC is forecasting, but always err on their side when in doubt. NC & SC need to be prepared for the worst and should be rushing those plans to completion now. We're looking at tens of billions of dollars in damage from this storm, with a total that's only going to go up with time.

Danielle and TD 5 look to both be getting better organized; it's the latter of the two I'm most worried about. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out down the road, but 5 days from now we'll probably see a storm in a similar spot to where Charlie was a night or two ago. I'm not even going to bother forecasting it's intensity, seeing no fault in the NHC's forecast, having not had the chance to look at everything myself, and five days out having large errors anyway. Danielle may well be a fish spinner, but I think we need to get a better handle on what it is going to do over the next day or two before declaring that to be so. The NHC will probably flip-flop on it a couple of times, but it's 10 days away in any case. Tropics are active, so everyone needs to be vigilent and just hope we don't end up with another storm near Florida this season...they've had enough.

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:03 AM

I recorded a barometric pressure of 29.50 as Charley passed 8 miles East of my Apopka, Fl location.
There's a lot of damage in and around the Orlando area. Lots of trees down, roof damage, etc. Orlando International Airport had a gust of 105 MPH.

Charley will not be missed.

Next is Earl

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:21 AM
More reports

Heard from some people in the St. Cloud and Kissimmee area...not good there either.

St. Cloud Hospital's front windows blew in, flooding their lobby and first floor offices and rooms. The second floor windows - their ICU area - almost blew in, forcing evacuations. They moved everyone to the back of the hospital, with patients in the hallways away from windows. They are currently operating on generator power, as the main power is down there as well.

The residential areas of St. Cloud did not fare so well, either. Also without power, trees came down onto houses, cars, and carports across the region. One person noted that their house was alright, but their back porch blew in and trees were down across their yard. Their neighbor had a tree on the garage and house with significant damage. Another tree had split in two and was in danger of falling.

A report in Kissimmee from my parents said that power was out there too as well, with one house being blown into another. The Kissimmee area and between there and St. Cloud has many mobile homes, so there is likely significant damage there. Lake Toho and surrounding regions probably saw some flooding; 6" of rain were reported in east Orlando, with similar totals observed across the swath of the storm by Doppler-estimated precipitation. A tornado report came from Harmony, just east of St. Cloud and the site of some explosive growth; I hope everything is alright there. More reports will filter in with time from those areas, and I expect there to be some significant damage in the region, if only due to the construction in the region.

Another friend reported traffic on John Young Pkwy in south Orlando had started to return to normal, which is folly...where are people going? Power is still out across the southern part of the city as well as downtown. Power is on in the Ocoee area, where one of my best friends reported it only flickered on and off. His place received some minor structural damage from the hurricane, with their back porch currently sitting under a couple of inches of water. Seems as though places along and east of I-4 in the Orlando area were hardest hit. I await reports from downtown Orlando, which is heavily treed, particularly in the older sections of town. I feel there will be a good number of homes destroyed there, unfortunately.

My parents were thinking about driving down US 17 (Orange Blossom Trail) to survey things, as they seemed to come out relatively unscathed (as previously mentioned), but probably will not due to the danger of fallen power lines. I haven't heard many reports of fallen lines, but there have been some and I imagine there are many more across the region. The whole southern part of the town, as noted above, is dark. My family reported that it was eerily quiet and very dark - they could hear no sounds from US 17, no sounds from people usually playing their music late at night, and no humming of electricity about.

That's probably all of the reports I'll have for tonight. Here's hoping for minimal loss of life and property elsewhere.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:32 AM
Re: Charley's future

Some interesting questions from Clark's post.
Where is Recon.
How much difference between the water temp at Key West and the Gulf Stream off of Jacksonville to Wilmington. Shouldn't be too much difference this time of year?

I'll go with Clark on the intensity. Remember Alex.
I'm not convinced that the models look at the sea temperature as much as they look at the upper air.
Those that can, get some rest. Plenty more to come in days ahead, it appears.

Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:35 AM

>>I recorded a barometric pressure of 29.50 as Charley passed 8 miles East of my Apopka, Fl location.

The Sentinel's website has a couple of nice cloud shots from Apopka (worth a look).

Steve

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:43 AM

Temperatures from the buyos from the Natl. Data Buoy Center (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov) show that water temperatures are fairly steady offshore at between 80.5 and 82 degrees, getting cooler north of Cape Hatteras. They are also slightly cooler a bit closer to shore. Interesting to note that one of the buoys off of NC failed due to Hurricane Alex!

Not sure where recon is - a flight was scheduled to take off at 2145z and investigate between 0z and 6z, partially over land, but that has not happened. The next recon, over water, was scheduled for takeoff at about 0645z; I think this will probably be the next flight into the storm. The investigation is supposed to have fixes at 9z, 12z, and 15z - so it may be overnight before we get another read on Charley.

Models do look at SSTs, but remember that most of these are global models and not tropical models. The oceans aren't as important of a consideration in these models, nor are there many sources of data over the waters (due to the inherent lack of observing sites), meaning these observations and forecasts may not be so good. No global models can pick up a hurricane - the storm has to be put into the model. But, track forecasts are usually decent and intensity forecasts from the specialized models are usually decent as well, yet there remains room for improvement.

Rest is definitely a good thing, and I think I'm about to go get some myself. Good luck everyone, and here's hoping Earl isn't long for the coast either. Something tells me it is, however.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:48 AM
Re: Charley's past

Here is a link to the Amateur Radio observations in the central FL area. APRS equipment. Some obviously failed during the storm. I didn't check them all so some may have dead links on them.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/aprs_observations.htm

SirCane
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 05:25 AM

Earl I'm afraid is going to be another Gulfer. I don't see it pulling a Charley by going over the FL Peninsula from the West side (Least I hope not for the people's sake down there!) That was rare for August.

DroopGB31
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 05:39 AM

Well, I havent posted at all today or tonight. Basically I've just been watching this storm in awe. Kind of at a loss for words most of the afternoon/evening. I went to school this morning excited I'd be able to come home to a fairly common Cat 2 possibly a Cat 3, But I wasnt sure due to the interaction with Cuba if that might have screwed up Charley in some way. 8 hours later and boy was I wrong. I never expected a Cat 4 out of this. I think it caught all of us by surprise. Im just really hoping there isnt to many casualties. From all I've gathered, the area around Punta Gorda, Sanibel and Captiva Islands are basically destroyed. Some of the video I've seen has been amazing. Im starting to wonder if this may cause more damage than Andrew. I mean Charley took a path from the coast up to Orlando, all the way to Daytona Beach, 2 of the bigger cities in Flordia had direct hits. I think the damage estimates will start near 20 Billion....In Flordia. Thats not including the damage it could do to South Carolina and North Carolina. Especially if it strengthens anymore. I dont know though. Tonight has been unbelievable and its true that you can be the biggest, most hardcore weather fan in the world, and think you've seen everything but this just seems to tip the scale ya know. Almost surreal as if its just a game. LOL I dont even think Im making sense now. Well Im gonna be up at first light tomorrow looking for damage reports and pics. I pray that everyone in Flordia and The Southeast coast is safe. Talk about a Friday the 13th to remember for sure.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 05:57 AM

Just did a quick straight line plot on Charley from Boca Grande to Daytona at A1A intersection. 158 nautical miles. He actually tracked more than that because the path wasn't a straight line.
Andrew, from A1A and I-395 to Naples was 89 miles.
If someone can give me better points i'll run them.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sat Aug 14 2004 05:58 AM
Re: Charley Recon Fix

URNT12 KNHC 140521
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 14/0521Z
B. 29 DEG 53 MIN N
80 DEG 56 MIN W
C. 700 MB 2989 M
D. NA
E. NA
F. 225 DEG 79 KT
G. 139 DEG 30 NM
H. 993 MB
I. 9 C/ 3072 M
J. 13 C/ 3079 M
K. 8 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 12345/7
O. 1/3 NM
P. AF980 1003A CHARLEY OB 02
MAX FL WIND 79 KT SE QUAD 0512Z.

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 09:06 AM
Danielle & Earl

Very early morning all,

Hoping all in the entire sunshine state made it thru Charley (relatively) unscathed. This was definitely one for the record books. Realizing many of you are (at best) without power, I send my thoughts and prayers out to you and your loved ones. They're gonna be talking about this one for a LOOOOONNNNG time.

Looking down the road, Danielle has formed and Earl is right behind her. Let's hope Charley spoke for Earl and he'll just be a rainmaker with some light winds...I wouldn't wish what happened yesterday on Saddam, much less a redux.

Right now, my neck of the woods is receiving Bonnie's remnants and Charleys' are scheduled to give me more tomorrow...with a chance of TS strength winds. Given what the folks from FL just went through, I'm sure anyone of you would take it...TS warnings up to Sandy Hook (NJ) and TS watch through NE. This one is going to impact the entire eastern seaboard.

Once again, my thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this monster. Charley hasn't finished dishing it out, but thankfully, not on the scale that those in Punta Gorda et. al. saw a mere 12 hours ago.

To anyone who reads this and has power...back up or restored, godspeed. Morning light is going to shine on a whole world of hurt. As long as you made it out alive, that's the most important thing.

Peace and be safe,

LI Phil

AngB
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 09:12 AM
Re: Danielle & Earl

Here in South Merritt Island, FL...power was out for 6 hours. We had some pretty good winds but not too bad. Power came back on about 4:00 am.

James88
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 14 2004 09:57 AM
Re: Danielle & Earl

At least Danielle will be a fish. It is forecast to continue turning in a northerly direction, so at the moment it looks like it may take a path ala Jeanne in 1998.

Hoping that eveyone affected by Charley escaped with relatively few effects.

RichD
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 11:20 AM
Peak Gusts?

Does anybody know of any websites where all the strongest wind reports have been collated?

Many thanks
Richard

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:37 PM
Attachment
Preliminary Damage Photos

I have just gotten back from walking the streets right around my house in Casselberry, 25 miles N of Orlando. Damage is quite severe, with trees down everywhere, some landing on roofs. Quite a few house lost their shingles. I have attached a couple images of the damage

-Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:38 PM
Attachment

Here is a tree on a house

-Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:39 PM
Attachment

This tree has blocked the street

-Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:41 PM
Attachment
Re: Preliminary Damage Photos

Here is some shingle damage to a roof on my street

--Lou

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 12:50 PM

good pixs.... I bet there are zillions of trees down in the state of Florida.... MSNBC reporting a number of people killed who were living in a trailer part where the eye wall went inland (Punta Gorda which has been devastated), they are providing excellent coverage of the disaster.... this is going to be a really really bad I''m afraid.... looks like some of the people south of Tampa just did not evacuate...

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:18 PM

Recmod, nice photos, I guess...reminds me of Gloria up here. I'm sure what happened in Punta Gorda reminds FL residents of Andrew and Frank P of Camille...maybe not quite on that scale, but pretty damn bad, nonetheless.

Once again, hoping everyone is alive and safe, that's the most important thing. Clean up will take a while, but at least it's over for you. Earl...don't even want to mention that for the moment...he's down the road.

Whenever anyone is able, back on their feet and secure, love to hear storm stories, see pix, whatever. Regulars check back in when you can, one by one, and let us know how you did.

Wonder how ED is doing too.

Peace,

LI Phil

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:25 PM
Here we go again!!

Track of future Hurricane Earl not looking too good, that backed up by this in the NWS Melbourne Discussion

" BE KEEPING AN EYE ON TD 5 AS IT
IS FORECAST TO MOVE WNW THROUGH THE CARIBBEAN. TPC DAY 5 POSITION
PLACES IT NEAR THE SOUTH COAST OF CUBA WITH AN UPPER TROUGH DIGGING
INTO THE LOWER MS VALLEY WHICH COULD PULL IT NORTHWARD. "

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:35 PM

Here in Polk County we got winds of approximately 75 mph. It lasted about an hour. At my house we have one dead palm frond down and some leaves off the oak trees in the back. The green naval oranges hung on to the trees. I had 3 rain guages out in the yard and one of the three made it through the storm with 2 1/2 inches of rain in it total from the entire day. Lakeland was on the outer fringes of the western wall according to the rain radar. I am sure those who were in a wind tunnel effect suffered more than we did. Glad it was no worse

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:40 PM
Re: Here we go again!!

Yeah GG, "TD5" is also showing up in the Houston and New Orleans morning discussions as well... it is already getting some attention.... looks like it could be another GOM event....
i sure hope it stays away from SW Florida!!!

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:41 PM

Yeah GG, "TD5" is also showing up in the Houston and New Orleans morning discussions as well... it is already getting some attention.... looks like it could be another GOM event....
i sure hope it stays away from SW Florida!!!

sorry for the double post... operator error

(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:47 PM

So if #4 gets in the gulf again depending on its location and another cold front comes south are we looking at another west coast scenario? are there any cold fronts coming down?

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:49 PM

FP & GG and all...

Watching TWC (local news isn't concerned with FL, which sucks) right now.

Good lord, there's some serious damage going on. Entire communities are devastated. Punta Gorda is basically no more. Just to show you the magnitude of this bad boy, there are TS warnings up to Sandy Hook and TS watches up through Maine. Sorry that "Orlando Waiting" had to put us into reg. only mode. If anyone wants to scroll back and think I overreacted, send me a PM. But I think the seriousness of this storm and the damage that ensued justified Mike's action.

Have not heard (yet) from Mike, John, Ed or HF, but I am assuming they are OK.

Keep up the faith, folks. This may have only been round one.

I guess nobody (myself included) will complain about the "late start" to the season any more. 4 storms in 14 days. That's a season right there. God help us if September churns up another Isabel.

Peace y'all,

LI Phil

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:52 PM

T numbers for TD 5 are 2.5.... we very well could have Earl today...

I have not looked at any long term forecasts, however, this last cold front was unheard of.. we usually don't get such strong fronts until October... I would be very surprised if we get another one, but that being said, we've had two fronts in July, albeit weak ones, and this last one which was not weak at all.... right not anything and everything is possible..

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Aug 14 2004 01:57 PM

I just wanted to say hello and thank you for an excellent forum. You folks are truly amazing and certainly out of my league when it comes to the weather. As far as any contribution on my part, I can tell you what is happening in the GA coast when a hurricane is upon us. Thank you once again for your excellent hurricane coverage. You are certainly the BEST.

joepub1
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:00 PM

We are going to see pics like this all day. It's pretty bad to be nice about it. The eye just cut a path across the state, with by far the worse damage on the SW side, but it's in the 15 to 20 billion dollar range. We got rain with some wind in N FL, with Charley going over Daytona last night after pasing Orlando. The speed of the storm seemed to get people in and out of it quickly, as far as the intence part was concerned. I talked to some friends further south, and it was like they had this feeling of relief that it was over at last. A really bad hour or two for them, just scared the wits out of them. They don't want to do this again anytime soon. I didn't have the nerve to mention TD 5 to them. They need some time to regroup.

Here in Jacksonville, a few tornado's from Bonnie, and rain for the most part. Have not talked to anybody in Daytona this morning, I think they are OK. Last night as Charley pulled away, we were in the north-western, then western part of him, TS conditions from I95 east, some good rainbands, but no problem at all.

Rich B
(British Meteorologist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:06 PM

Hey guys,
have not posted through much of Charley as site was slow, and figured those of you nearer would benifit more

Hope you all got through it ok, and any of you that may still be in Charleys path i hope you are all prepared.

Well, how busy is it now? With Charley heading for his 3rd landfall this afternoon, it looks like the Carolinas could take a bit of a lashing. TD Five also bears watching, as the discussion above hints at! Danielle looks set to be a fish spinner, so thats one less to worry about.

All the best to you all. Keep safe.

Kind Regards

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:06 PM
Re: TD5 model runs

Have it basically a strong Cat 1 just southwest of Cuba's Isle of Youth in 5 days... track is eerily similar to Charleys up to that point... However, I don't think we'll see that sharp turn to the north that Charley took after that... we'll see...

PFSThunder
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:09 PM

I just heard a story that someone with a south facing apartment had to drill their wood headboard to the door to keep it from flying open. I was 8 miles from the center of circulation and I feel we got 100 mph winds. Missing some singles and flashing. A metal fence in laying on the ground because some vegetation grew in and the wind knocked it down.

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:24 PM
TD 5 Model runs

http://files.hurricanealley.net/storms/05LMDL01.html

Does this look familar?

(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:26 PM
Re: TD 5 Model runs

very familiar! scary stuff.

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:28 PM
Re: TD 5 Model runs

Unfortunately,

All TOO familiar. Hope you don't get this weather, but unfortunately, someone will.

Roberta
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:28 PM

My son lives in Port Charlotte - watching all the damage reports this morning and the entire area around Punta Gorda & Port Charlotte just looks horrific, and the loss of many lives is heartbreaking, especially the reports from the trailer parks.

What I want to know is: WHERE is Jim Cantori of the Weather Channel this morning?? He said last night he would show us damage this morning when the sun comes back up. There is NO SIGN of Jim, and the Weather Channel is pretty conspicuous about leaping from Key West then up to the Carolinas, leaving out a great deal of reporting about the devastated areas between those two points. We watched the progress of Charley very closely on the WC up to the point and after landfall - prior to landfall, all the WC was yacking about and showing pretty graphics on was the Tampa/St. Pete area - like it was a CERTAINTY that this was where the storm was going. This is upsetting because many people took this as "gospel" and, consequently, got caught with little or no time to evacuate when it became apparent a few hours before landfall that the Ft. Myers area was going to be ground zero. Those elderly folks that were killed in those mobile home parks had little chance to get out...many of them have physical problems and needed assistance to evacuate...not just a knock on their door. They needed some time, and I think would have HAD the time if the storm track hadn't been reported with so much absolute assurance from the WC that Tampa/St. Pete was the target of this storm. Prior to Charley making the N/NE turn, Dr. Lyons on WC used very FEW "qualifying" words when indicating the storm track, so sure he was that Tampa/St. Pete was THE spot.
I think the WC knows today how they messed up, and have stopped Jim Cantori from reporting this morning, in an effort to "change the subject" to the Carolinas and Dr. Lyons is choosing his words much more carefully this morning.

Sorry to vent, but am upset about all these elderly folks losing their lives due to preconceived and self-assured forecasting on the part of the WC. Sure do miss Dr. John Hope, bless his soul...he really knew hurricanes and how to prepare people for ANY eventuality and never "carved in stone" his forecasts.
So very thankful to hear that most everyone else in the storm's later path was informed and able to weather the storm and are alive this morning.

Hope that we are spared these next storms on their way...and that some lessons have been learned.

Kimster
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:31 PM

Has anyone heard from Colleen?

joepub1
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:34 PM
Re: TD5 model runs

The overall weather pattern looks to be different by quite a lot for TD 5. This time the ridge to his north may not be as strong ( to keep him going west), and there may not be much to pull him north. I don't see this as a repeat of Charley, Earl, in my early take, will catch far more of an island, which is a card Charley didn't get.

I said in May that Florida would get hit by two named storms. We got them in one week. Could somebody please take the next one?

Please?

HanKFranK
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:34 PM
lee/charlotte/desoto/hardee

those four counties i'm betting are where the real story is. there is a large hispanic migrant worker community down there.. lots of low-income manufactured housing. towns like wauchula, zolfo springs, arcadia, up near bowling green and fort meade in polk.. just inland still received a hell of a lick. i don't know how well EMS disseminated information to the large hispanic community in the area as the storm shifted track and rapidly intensified during the day friday. also lots of snowbirds down there who probably took a look at the tampa forecast friday morning, the cat2 status, and didn't take it seriously. there are talks of refrigerator mortuary trucks heading into the area today, and numbers of unaccounted-for persons. the degree of the situation is still unknown, but these are not comforting signs.
charley is near myrtle beach now, moving northeast along the convex coastline of long bay. center should be fully ashore around north myrtle beach within the hour. pressure dropped to 988 at last recon fix, at the system's tightness still probably a high 85-90mph sustained. may keep a good bit of punch up the coast as it appears to be undergoing extratropical transition.
danielle far out to sea, forecast to track into the big empty of the eastern atlantic. t.d. 5 not gaining a great deal of latitude but looking better.. may be t.s. earl at 11am. if it can intensify, should gain enough latitude to clear south america. of course it is racing and the usual problems of racing systems may dog it.. but we just a had a substantial system that dealt with fast westward movement quite well. earl should be the story of the coming week.
as clark alluded to last night, over the small eyewall region charley had, there is andrew-like damage. for the first time in a while heavy wind damage extends well inland along a narrow swath up US 17.
HF 1434z14august

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:35 PM

There are currently no other moderators on line...so I will attempt to answer...

If you were watching TWC for updates, as good as they are, they are NOT the official voice for storms...Neither is CFHC. The National Weather Service (NWS) did a pretty damn good job of forecasting this monster.

I pray for you and your loved ones. But don't blame TWC/Cantore for any casualties.

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:38 PM

Here in Atlanta, watching the coverage between TWC, CNN, FNC, MSNBC and the local affiliates and I am just heartbroken by viewing all the damage . What sent a cold chill up my spine was when I first started watching was a crawl saying they were ordering 60 body bags in Punta Gorda. Let's hope and pray they don't need to use one.

Other thoughts, CNN has John Zerella and ANderson Cooper in Punta Gorda.....CNN has also been featuring video from their affiliates in CHarleston and in Raleigh, NC...looks like major flooding in Raleigh as they just reported that Crabtree Creek is at 11' right now and rising. Also saw some pictures from OIA, haven't heard of any damage reports from the resort area in Orlando...

To all of those recovering in Florida right now, our thoughts and prayers are with you, and from another post, Earl does look eeirly familiar too.....

Finally, the ONLY good thing this hurricane has brought is at least there's no political coverage this morning.....

Amen, Brother.--HF

Good Luck and God Bless

Roberta
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 02:56 PM

Thanks, Phil, for your response. Please understand I am NOT blaming Cantore, not one iota. He was doing an excellent job.
And I know that the WC and CFHC are not official forecasters, but many who do not know better THINK that the WC has some "officiality" about it.
And, while the NHC DID do an excellent job, I wish that something could be done to give them greater visibility, especially in the case of major storms, like back in the days when Dr. Bob Sheets was there...I think that someone of authority from the NHC should broadcast thru feed to local news channels as Dr. Sheets did many times. That way, there would be NO doubt as to who "the experts" are and what the official forecast and warnings are, especially in the case where they change suddenly.
Not trying to annoy here...just thinking of ways that things can be improved to save lives.

joepub1
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:07 PM

I understand what your saying. I'm very sorry, for we went through this in 92. The weather channel is a commerical cable station that does as well as can be expected. I did not hear a single word that Dr. Lyons said, for I do not turn on TWC for events like these because of the hype. Some counties, with a Cat 2-3-4 storm sitting to their southwest decided not to go as far as Tampa did, and paid a price not worth paying.

I can't really think of anything to say about the people in the trailer park. People sometimes cling to what little they have, and won't leave, or as you said can't leave without help or encouragement. It's a problem that may never be solved, I'm sure shelters were open, and we can only hope it never happens again.

I ran into people yesterday who did not know, and a few who did not care that a hurricane was on the way. In their own state. Heading toward them. I'm still not sure how some people make it through life.

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:14 PM

AMEN on the no political coverage.
My conclusions after being in Charley yesterday is simply that TWC should be used as a good source of information as the storm forms and approaches your area. HOWEVER, as the storm zero's in on your state, you should begin to place much more emphasis on your LOCAL meterorologists and weather service outlets and less on TWC. I think the little 2 minute updates TWC offers does little except give very general information.
I watched our four local channels in Orlando that offered live coverage throughout the day. I preferred WFTV channel 9. They did an outstanding job and told us the storm was coming to the Orlando area a full two hours before TWC or NHC did.

LI Phil
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:26 PM
joepub and wxwatcherdeux

>>> I ran into people yesterday who did not know, and a few who did not care that a hurricane was on the way. In their own state. Heading toward them. I'm still not sure how some people make it through life.

How poignant a statement is that? Scary. Would like to make a joke now, but cannot.

This is one f'ed up season already, and S. Floridians just may need to be on the alert for Earl.

Hoping the monetary damages are below 15 BILLION.

Now, I'm off to my beach where I'm already supposed to expect TS winds from Charley this evening. This monster is going to affect the whole East Coast, granted, FL west coast was the bullseye, the rest of us (not in FL) are the sloppy seconds.

Every one be safe, and we'll get back to normal soon

LI Phil

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:28 PM

And, while the NHC DID do an excellent job, I wish that something could be done to give them greater visibility, especially in the case of major storms, like back in the days when Dr. Bob Sheets was there...I think that someone of authority from the NHC should broadcast thru feed to local news channels as Dr. Sheets did many times. That way, there would be NO doubt as to who "the experts" are and what the official forecast and warnings are, especially in the case where they change suddenly.
Not trying to annoy here...just thinking of ways that things can be improved to save lives. [/quote

I think you've hit the nail kind of on the head. When Bob Sheets and Neil Franks came on the air, you KNEW that you were hearing the official and best information.
We possibly have too many "experts" now. The NHC has actually taken a back seat in some respects.

Kimster
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:34 PM
Re: lee/charlotte/desoto/hardee

HF,

Your were really close on your speculation of where landfall would occur. I am impress! I have always had the highest respect for your opinions on this website. I look forward to your future thoughts.

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:55 PM
Attachment

Just got back in from checking out the local damage here in Casselberry (25 miles N of Orlando). The city crews have been out this morning with chain saws, cutting the tree debris just enough to allow cars to get in and out of my neighborhood. I was able to drive around a little and have a few more damage pics. There is a mobile home community down the block from me. Last night, we found what looked like foam insulation scattered around my lawn and street. I feared that this debris came from the mobile homes. The damage there was even more severe than I thought. Some mobile homes are completely shattered. Others have their roofs pealed back, exposing their contents. Many many homes have large trees lying on their roofs with corresponding terrible damage. We saw a number of crushed vehicles...even a couple of badly damaged ones driving around (reminiscent of scenes from Hurricane Andrew). There were even some telephone poles tilted at a 45 degree angle over the roadway with power lines hanging onto the road. All in all, quite a mess that will take a long time to cleanup.
This first picture shows my backyard with my destroyed fence and trees lying everywhere.

--Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:56 PM
Attachment

Here is a tree lying on a house in Casselberry

--Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:57 PM
Attachment

Another tree lying on a house in Casselberry

--Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 03:58 PM
Attachment

More damage from trees on houses

--Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:01 PM
Attachment

This picture shows part of a mobile home stuck up in a tree

--Lou

rickonboat
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:22 PM
Earl next

I suppose we need to be studying what Earl will be up to. The preliminary look is another one heading our way. I am so sorry that Florida took this hit. Really am, and have watched TV, and the devastation is sad. Interesting that it hooked right and strengthened, just before landfall, which took people off guard. People in Tampa fled to Orlando...and got the weaker portion of it...

This season is cranking up to be a memorable one.

Is it too early to post a new thread on Earl....?...or at least do some looking and thinking.

Hank Frank was right on with his thoughts...wonder what he is thinking on TD#5....that is...Earl.... who knows...

rickonboat
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:38 PM
Re: Earl next

wonder if the forecasters will even be more careful in decidiing what to tell the public. If they broadcast that Tampa was THE target...and sold it too strongly (to look like experts) instead of letting people know there is NO CERTAINTY with these systems...well, then, it's a lesson in broadcasting, I think.

No one to blame for the deaths that occurred...just that tragedy often wakes people up.

I wonder if the government will be forthright in telling the casualties...or if, as in Andrew, there will be 2- 30 dead...when all indications will be that the number is so much higher.

It will be interesting to see what the government allows us to "know"...

I trust that if hundreds..or thousands die...they won't tell...

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 14 2004 04:46 PM

Here we did get lucky in Lakeland. Just a few miles to our south in Bartow, power lines down everywhere. Lake Wales, there ae mobile home parks destroyed. My boss lives in Lake Wales with two lovely babies and her husband. My work place is between here and there and don't know its condition. It is currently raining as hard or harder than last night. But less wind and more thunder and lighning. Earl no one who got hurt in this one, physically or materially is ready to think about it.

Rabbit
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 14 2004 05:40 PM

Im back after several hours with the nearest computer being broken. I live in northern Brevard county, decided at 7:30 last night to drive around. Used an anemometer, measured SUSTAINED winds at 79mph, gusts to 100. (stood outside for a while; took these measurements from the car though after it picked up some more.) Gusty winds continued until after midnight. Lots of rain here, but no flooding. Most damage here was roof tiles blown off or trees blown over. I did see a pole laying across the power lines though, and ost of my area (oddly enough except me) is without power. Not a major, but still pretty strong, and I am ready and waiting if another system should affect this area.

As for the other two systems, it looks like Danielle will likely become a hurricane tomorrow as an eye is showing up on visible imagery.

TD5 will probably be Earl by the end of the day, as convective bands are beginning to wrap around the center and become better organized. Think this will also become a hurricane, and could head towards Louisiana or Texas this time.

James88
(Weather Master)
Sat Aug 14 2004 05:47 PM

Danielle is looking very good on satellite, and it will not effect anyone, which is even better.

FlaRebel
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Aug 14 2004 06:06 PM
Final Analysis on Charley

I am willing to bet the NHC will tell us this was a Cat 5 on landfall. Wind gusts to 180 are being reported and it REALLY intensified before landfall. I was watching the Channel 2 coverage online out of Ft Myers and the eyewall went completely red upon landfall. Just my opinion. Remember Andrew was a Cat 4 until later analysis. I am saddened by the loss of life by Charley. Needless to say, his name will never again be used. Stay safe everyone and hoping Earl will go fishing. If he hits the GOM and heads towards Tallahassee, I am gone to say the least. The devastation here has convinced me.

bsnyder
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 06:51 PM
Evacuations

I am still stunned at the number of friends and neighbors I have here in South Tampa who were ordered to evacuate, and chose not to. Today, I guess they're thinking they are pretty clever, because they think they spared themselves the inconvenience of packing up and leaving for what turned out to be a false alarm.

In reality, they aren't clever at all. It was just total dumb luck. If the storm had stayed on track, and come up the mouth of Tampa Bay, these people would have been in grave danger, and at the very least, would have had a terrifying experience.

Hopefully, the heartbreaking pictures and videos from Charley's devestation will change some minds for next time, but I'm afraid all that will happen is additional complacency.

Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 07:01 PM
Re: Final Analysis on Charley

Just wanted to post my thoughts post-Charley. Got real lucky here in Lakeland (actually more like Mulberry for me). We got a ton of nasty wind in about a 1 hour period. That was about it. Woke up this morning, looked around. Lots of trees down, some big, most medium/small sized.

Still, showing how fickle this was, about 10 miles east of me, people are still without power in Mulberry, may be for a week. Go another 20 miles east to Bartow, the damage is worse. Go 20 miles more (say 50 miles east of us) in Lake Wales, and it's terrible the amount of damage there is. We are all truly blessed (and lucky) to have not had the major damage here that was just right next to us.

My heart goes out to everyone in SW, like around Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. Total and complete devastation. Already 15 confirmed dead, 10 from destroyed mobile homes, 5 from vehicular accidents related to storm. Still about 100 missing unaccounted for yet (hopefully just left town at last minute and haven't checked in with loved ones yet). 1.3 million without power, nearly 1 mill without active water systems. Power may be out up to a week. With all due respect to Phil, you didn't censor "Orlando Waiting" ENOUGH last night with the silly ranting. This is widespread damage and destruction. This is the horror of Andrew, perhaps magnified. Maybe Andrew came off looking worse because it impacted a "popular" area like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. This is just as bad, will likely be far more expensive, and could turn out to be deadlier.

Oh, and as long as I'm typing, lemme say, don't assume that the media hyped Tampa entirely. I watched what had to be 70 hours of continuous coverage. I turned my apartment into a micro-weather center. Anyway, nearly every channel I watched out of Tampa kept constantly emphasizing to not pay attention to the "white line", that the storm could go anywhere in the error "cone". It's not like they told people, Tampa's it, ignore everywhere else. They had a live shot on Channel 13 in Punta Gorda at one of the destroyed trailer parks. During the shot, an older man was wandering, shellshocked, in the background. They went to talk to him, and he said that they left early yesterday morning, when they first heard it was coming their way. They had 8 hour warning, he said, and they went to Ft. Lauderdale. He's fine, his place is actually mostly there. He was shaken (clearly) - said he lived there for over 10 years, but had to ask what street he was on, it was so destroyed. He had tears in his eyes and shook the newsman's hand thoroughly and thanked him for the warning and letting him get out with his wife.

The media didn't drop the ball, and the NHC didn't either. They did the best they could. Once people get through their shock and grief, hopefully they'll realize everyone did the best they could.

Londovir

DroopGB31
(Weather Guru)
Sat Aug 14 2004 07:12 PM

Anybody have any shots of Charley say an hour before landfall? And then at Landfall that they could post. I was not near a computer or tv at the time so I havent actually seen what the eyewall looked like, but Im sure it was amazing, and vrey similar to Andrews. Thanks

bsnyder
(Verified CFHC User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 07:15 PM

The reality of it is that the people in Charlotte/Lee county were given the MOST time. They started their mandatory evacuations before the Tampa area did. And those evacuation orders were never, ever lifted. If people chose to ignore the experts, and their local authorities, they do so at their own peril.

BillD
(User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 07:16 PM

The NRL site is now listing TD5 as Earl.

Bill

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Aug 14 2004 07:18 PM
TD5 update

NRL has TD #5 upgraded to Tropical storm Earl BTW. Here is some images of Charley

Charley before landfall

Shot #2

Sorry BillD, you got in there before me

Another Shot

yet another shot

Aunt Debbie S
(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 09:00 PM
Arcadia damage

Does anyone know the name of the mobile home park in Arcadia that was hit very hard?
We heard that one park was pretty much flattened,....
my mother-in-law lives in Arcadia Village
Any info is appreciated

(Registered User)
Sat Aug 14 2004 10:16 PM
Viper radar Pics of Charley WOW

Here are some great looking radar images of Charley

The rest can be seen here

http://hardcoreweather.com/showthread.php?t=416

I will post some more this evening

StormLover
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Aug 15 2004 02:30 AM

Hurricane Charley's sustained winds upon landfall were 145 mph, any idea on the pressure upon landfall? Hugo was also Cat 4 when it arrived in 89, what are some differences in terms of size, compactness, and sustained windspeeds upon landfall? Based on damage, do you think later on Charley will be upgraded to Cat 5 as Andrew was, or was it just a mean Cat 4? Thanks for any input.

StormLover
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Aug 15 2004 02:37 AM

Was Hurricane Charley more powerful than Hugo was when it made landfall also as a Cat 4? I heard where Charley's sustained winds were around 145 mph, whereas Hugo's in 1989 were around 135mph. If so, then Charley must have been closer in intensity to Andrew. Can you shed light on this at all?

StormLover
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Aug 15 2004 02:43 AM

Its very unfortunate what happened to the residents of southwest Fla. Hopefully, loss of life will be small. Is Charley the most powerful hurricane to strike the mainland US since Andrew? I think every hurricane since Andrew until Charley have been no more than Cat 3 when they came ashore.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
(Master of Maps)
Sun Aug 15 2004 04:33 AM

Amazing! Charley was an intense one month anniversary present after our recent move. Been lurking here since deciding to move from Michigan to Florida in mid February. Enjoyed watching the increase in chatter as the season began.

This site became an invaluable tool when things looked, and eventually became bad. Thank you to everyone who participates. The news from Punta Gorda is devastating. Those folks are in our prayers.

Drove around the Western edge of the damage in central Polk County. Most damage in this area was limited to old growth trees (which are enormous) and shallow rooted trees. Of course, many of these fell on power lines, houses and businesses. We have several photos that we will post off site tomorrow to save bandwidth here.

Oh yeah… we chose Central Florida because (among many reasons) we believed it provided a reasonable buffer against intense hurricane force winds!

Karen
(Registered User)
Sun Aug 15 2004 04:37 PM

>>I ran into people yesterday who did not know, and a few who did not care that a hurricane was on the way. In their own state. Heading toward them. I'm still not sure how some people make it through life.<<

Boy, you said a mouthful! I work for a financial institution in Brevard county, and a woman told one of my co-workers on Friday "Since you all are closing early because of a rainstorm, I wanted to know if you would be open tomorrow. And are you going to close again if it rains on Monday?" When my co-worker told her, "Ma'am, were you aware that this is a category 4 hurricane?" she replied "Oh no it's not! It's only going to be a 2!" She was insistent on maintaining her opinion, even when presented with the facts! Now that I think about it, maybe she is married to OrlandoWaiting! Hmm... there have been no recent postings from OrlandoWaiting - perhaps he lost power from a storm that he was emphatic was "not a biggie" and would cause no "widespread damage"?

On a completely unrelated note, I wanted to say thank you for your wonderful site! I wish I had found it before Friday, but I'm glad I found it in time to help me keep track of Earl and future storms.

Ricreig
(User)
Mon Aug 16 2004 04:04 PM
Re: Evacuations

Quote:

I am still stunned at the number of friends and neighbors I have here in South Tampa who were ordered to evacuate, and chose not to.

Hopefully, the heartbreaking pictures and videos from Charley's devestation will change some minds for next time, but I'm afraid all that will happen is additional complacency.

Luck isn't a substitute for *thought* and knowledge, but I'm afraid I'd have to agree, much of our society depends on luck and it is just a matter of time when that luck will turn sour and they will wish (those that survive) that they had taken the time to learn to never take a tropical system, of any size, for granted.

We in our trailer park were never told to evacuate...and of course, many of my neighbors didn't believe me when I told them to prepare for the worst as I didn't believe the current forecasts. I packed and left just as the first bad squall band came by....spent the night with friends in a 'real' house. While my trailer survived, it was damaged by pieces of a few trailers down the street that didn't surveive. Part of their roof was in my porch causing some dents and ripping the screened windows to shreds. Perhaps, they (and they were among those I talked to) will take better heed when warned to leave sometime in the future when a storm threatens....nah, I doubt it, like your post indicated, they'll somehow figure out how to 'remain lucky'...after all, they survived, didn't they?

Tom U.
(Registered User)
Mon Aug 16 2004 04:51 PM
Re: Viper radar Pics of Charley WOW

The radar images you linked to were great! I'm new to this site but radar images are what led me to stumble upon this site. Do you know of any radar captures of the storm as it passed through central and north east central florida?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 17 2004 05:23 PM
Re: Arcadia damage

Quote:

Does anyone know the name of the mobile home park in Arcadia that was hit very hard?
Any info is appreciated

My Aunt also lives in Arcadia Village. She's 88 and refused to evacuate. We spoke with her about 1/2 hour before the storm really hit and she had already lost her carport. Does anyone know how badly Arcadia Village was damaged? They have a pretty well built club house, does anyone know if it survived? Like Debby, I would appreciate any information.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Tue Aug 17 2004 05:26 PM

Quote:

Any info is appreciated

My Aunt also lives in Arcadia Village. She's 88 and refused to evacuate. We spoke with her about 1/2 hour before the storm really hit and she had already lost her carport. Does anyone know how badly Arcadia Village was damaged? They have a pretty well built club house, does anyone know if it survived? I would appreciate any information.

LI Phil
(User)
Tue Aug 17 2004 05:47 PM

This might help...

http://www.topix.net/city/arcadia-fl

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Aug 20 2004 03:30 PM

I live near orlando international airport , and we recieved a peak gust of 105mph... I don't know about the rest of you, but there was enough damage and loss of life than I care to see or experience!!!!!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Wed Aug 25 2004 08:24 PM

We visited El Rodeo and it was a mobile home park that was in pretty bad shape. I don't know if this helps or not.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Thu Aug 26 2004 12:24 AM

I have designed Shirts to sell and help the families in my neighborhood hit hard by charley in Orlando.
http://www.cafepress.com/florida_charley
Please Help if you can

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center