MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Fri Sep 03 2004 02:44 AM
Frances at 11PM

Interactiction with the islands and dry air injection has put a temporary weaking in Frances. I think this is temporary, but it should hold high cat 3 or 4 status for a while. Winds are now down to 125MPH -- a category 3... still a very powerful hurricane. The track, however, still remains similar to the previous one.

More to come....

Click here to read personal reports from the Bahama Islands),

Hurricane Local Statements for Weather Offices in:

Melbourne (East Central Florida)
Miami (South Florida)
Key West (Florida Keys)
Tampa Bay (West Central Florida)

Local county by county information will no longer be updated unles there is breaking news here -- it's just impossible to keep up because of the size of the area under Hurricane Watch. Use the links in the last article to view county emergency management webpages. Florida Disaster.org is the state em page, with links to locals as well.

Definitely more to come later...

** SITE NOTE ** This website is receiving way beyond record traffic today, it will be slow, it will go down ocasionally, but should be back up shortly when that happens. We've done everything we can to help this along short of dumping zillions into bandwidth and hardware to keep it going. Apologies in advance.

Jim Williams over at Hurricane City will be doing live broadcasts about Hurricane Frances startiing tonight at 8PM EST.

Event RelatedLinks
Frances Models -- This image animated over time
TD#9 Models -- This image animated over time
All model "Spaghetti" for Frances from hurricanealley
The Caribbean Hurricane Page - updates from the islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Nice color satellite image of Frances approach (Animated Version)
High Speed Satellite Loops of Frances (Click floater)

General Links
Current Aircraft Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL
Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, HurricaneVille, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , WXRisk, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,

Even more on the links page.

Rabbit
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 02:52 AM
Weakening

I am thinking it will be a category three at landfall

jth
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 02:57 AM
Re: Weakening

She appears to be getting back together as we speak. Could easily regain a little strength. I'm still thinking cat 4.

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 02:58 AM

I'm going with cat 3 first landfall and cat 2 second Panhandle landfall .

Jamiewx
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 02:58 AM

Sorry folks, wundergrounds 11pm map was in error, they have winds at 135 for 11pm. They are actually 125 mph, per NHC advisory.

jth
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:00 AM

Jason K Where are you. We need some of your expert opinion.

He's probably on the air...maybe Clark will come back (hopefully) soon.

jaybythebay
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:01 AM

If there is a second landfall in panhandle then it will be Cat 3. The gulf is very warm.

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:04 AM

NHC first put out a set of advisories at 115kt, then quickly put out a new, corrected set at 110kt. The rounding in the calculations means one is listed as 135mph and the other as 125mph. In any case, it's still a beast to be dealt with.

Latest recon did not report an eye with the storm and a 950mb minimum pressure. Max flight level winds in the NE quadrant are just 105kt. We'll see how long it takes to get it's act together.

Another excellent 11pm discussion by Stacy Stewart -- he's developing quite the (favorable) reputation amongst the meteorological community here at FSU, that's for sure. In any case, this is going to be a long night...so I'm headed out. Take care everyone...stay safe.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:04 AM

If she holds together. Ft Pierce/ Cocoa Beach for 1st landfall and St Marks/ Appalachicola for second landfall.
11 PM EDT THU SEP 02 2004

FRANCES HAS WEAKENED SOME THIS EVENING BASED ON RECONNAISSANCE REPORTS AND SATELLITE DATA. THE INTENSITY IS BEING DECREASED TO 110 KT BASED ON 948-950 MB PRESSURE REPORTS. SINCE THE LAST RECON REPORTS...SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THE DEEP CONVECTION AROUND THE EYE HAS BECOME CIRCULAR AND TOPS HAVE COOLED. THUS...THIS MAY ONLY BE A TEMPORARY WEAKENING PHASE...
...18Z UPPER-AIR AND
SYNOPTIC SURVEILLANCE DROPSONDE DATA INDICATE A STRONGER 700-400 RIDGE BY ABOUT 20 METERS.
Isn't this the same 20 meters from the sondes we had a problem with yesterday?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:05 AM
The gulfstream

Does anyone have any predictions about when Frances passes over the gulfstream late tommorrow? Will that give it an unfortunate kick before landfall?

JG
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:07 AM

Even though I'm a newbie on this newly found board, sorry...but I strongly disagree. I think when this puppy hits the Gulf Stream, watch out. I see alot of Andrew in Frances.

My .02 based on over 20 years of watching these storms and thinking we were "lucky" until now in the Sarasota area....

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:08 AM

jaybythebay, the storm is not forecast to remain over the Gulf but for about 12-16 hours. After moving over land, it often takes some time for the storm to reorganize itself. It is highly improbably that Frances becomes a category three in the Gulf unless it remains there for 2+ days, which in itself is highly unlikely. Warm waters are but one factor; you cannot simply just put a storm there and expect it to rapidly intensify like that. The *only* model which is calling for that is the UKMET, which has had a nearly 35mph intensity error at 3+ days...and also does not weaken the storm as it crosses over Florida at all. Suffice to say, you can discount that one.

No real change in my previous thinking, which is scattered about the last thread. Might trend a tad further north on landfall than WPB, probably just S of Ft. Pierce, but that's all. NHC intensity looks good, though I'm still not convinced it'll weaken that much over Florida. Perhaps that's just a bit of wishcasting, though, as I'm probably going to head out again for this one like I did for Bonnie. It shouldn't be anything more than a minimal hurricane at second landfall, if that, but that's three days down the road. Let's get to the east coast first.

JG
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:09 AM
Re: The gulfstream

Quote:

Does anyone have any predictions about when Frances passes over the gulfstream late tommorrow? Will that give it an unfortunate kick before landfall?

I think we're looking at 140-145 at landfall with a Cat 1 exiting in Manatee County on Sunday.

Just my OPINION. Flame away gang!

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:10 AM
Folks, please...

This is not a "guessing" game...this is very serious. Flippant comments like (not directed at you HCW, just caught my eye) that "if this gets in the gulf I'll be a Cat II). I know you're not trying to be flippant, but someone (actually millions) are going to be facing some of the most stressful times of their lives very shortly...others are obviously still deciding if they should try to leave...why they waited this long is a mystery, but it is a fact nonetheless...others still, for whatever reasons, CANNOT leave and are wondering how to protect life and limb.

Let's try to keep the comments pertinent to what is about to come and leave the pedantic (how bout that HF) commentary to the forums and not the main boards.

Thanks. You guys have really been great! Mike rules.

Let's pray for the weakening of this monster not predicting second landfalls, 'K?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:10 AM

...SOME STRENGTHENING MAY OCCUR AS FRANCES PASSES SLOWLY OVER
THE VERY WARM GULFSTREAM.
INITIAL 03/0300Z 24.5N 75.4W 110 KT
12HR VT 03/1200Z 25.2N 76.5W 110 KT
24HR VT 04/0000Z 26.1N 77.9W 115 KT
36HR VT 04/1200Z 26.8N 79.1W 120 KT
48HR VT 05/0000Z 27.6N 80.6W 105 KT...INLAND
72HR VT 06/0000Z 28.4N 83.0W 45 KT...OVER GULF OF MEXICO
96HR VT 07/0000Z 31.5N 85.5W 30 KT...INLAND
120HR VT 08/0000Z 35.0N 86.5W 25 KT...INLAND

JG
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:19 AM

Clark, if you don't mind...since I'm an amateur...

The NHC is advising a slowing to 6-8 knots will lead to wobbles in the path. When this storm hits the gulfstream could it pick up forward speed as it strenghtens or are the upper and lower level winds from the high and model projections not allowing for this for the 36-48 hour forecast window?

There are many of us just north of Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte who have a highly vested interest in pegging some advice on this storm in the next 24 hours...

Thanks for your opinion in advance...

BabyCat
(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:21 AM

Where is the graphic that shows wind speeds out from the center?
I wonder, if the current rack holds of course, the expected windspeeds in Broward.

Todd
(Weather Watcher)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:22 AM
Re: Folks, please...

Phil.. you might want to keep this BM ... current windfield ...

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/hurricane_field.asp

Thanks a lot. Just put it in the Favorites Folder!

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:27 AM
I am here...

..but in my 10pm cast (starting late as the Pres went long at the convention tonight)...will be able to address things later...but Clark will probably do a better job than me anyway...will try to be more available in about a half an hour...

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:28 AM

danielw -- indeed it is.

To illustrate this, I used one of the utilities we have here called GEMPAK. Those of you in meteorology are probably familiar with it; for those of you who aren't, simply put, it allows you to display a whole bunch of meteorological data. It's akin to a programming language to display data.

Since it is a rather large file, I have uploaded it to my webserver so as not to clog this webserver down. It is in Adobe PDF format and is about 900kb in size. The file contains a plot of all 12z radio observations from across the eastern US & Bermuda along with three model output runs for comparison -- GFS in lime green, NOGAPS in red, and Eta in a barely readable yellow (my apologies).

You can get the file here:
http://www.northflams.org/misc/500height.pdf

Contours are denoted every 20m, i.e. 5900m, 5920m, and so on. The number in the upper right of each station obervation gives that station's height. Of particular note are how the models handled the height in Bermuda and the heights along the east coast in Charleston and Jacksonville. Only the GFS came close; the other models kept the 5900 and 5920 lines well out to sea. I could do the same for other times and show the same thing -- and this is all without the aid of the radio observations from the G-IV surveillance plane.

Just an interesting piece of info to leave you all with for the evening.

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:32 AM

JG,

I don't believe the Gulf Stream will have any impact on the forward speed of the storm. At it's current intensity or intensities slightly higher, the steering flow is almost exactly the same (and forecast to be such through time).

The only thing that could really start to send it further to the north is a rapid intensification (due to increased Beta effect...think along the lines of increased influence due to Coriolis), but by then it will already be near land and likely to lose that punch once it hits land. SInce it is such a large storm, I do believe the envelope for intensification will close sooner than it did for Charley and Andrew, both of which strengthened to landfall.

It may slow a little bit more in the short-term, then begin to move with a little more urgency through time. Just don't expect anything like the 15-20mph movement the storm had before Frances came through. Hope this helps...

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:41 AM

I'll second that. The mods and admins have been doing a great job handling the increased traffic and bandwidth.

Let's not go hog wild predicting intensification, whether in the Atlantic or the Gulf. 2.5 million people are now under evacuation orders. This could well surpass Floyd, to date the largest peace time evacuation in this nation's history, in terms of number of people evacuated. We can always pray for a quick, safe recurvature out to sea, but the storm has already changed many lives and will likely do so over the next three days. Forecasting this storm is a tough, tough job -- and often times a thankless one.

I've had all of my family and friends in Orlando call or e-mail me asking where the storm is going. I've been telling them south of town for a couple of days. But, what if I were wrong? People make decisions based off of what they hear, whether it's from someone on this board or on television or from the hurricane center. That's why it is important to focus on the storm as a swath and not a point. That's why it's important not to needlessly worry people who are searching for information about the storm.

If you have valid reasoning behind what you think, by all means post it...along with the reasoning. But, please do use discretion in terms of posting statements without anything to back it up with. You never know who could stumble across your information and, despite the disclaimers, use it as advice and make a potentially life-changing decision...for better or worse.

As Phil said at the end of the previous thread, this job is best left to the NWS -- they do know what they are doing. There is room for augmentation however, with valid reasoning, and two highly intelligent, highly competent meteorologists can completely disagree on something like this -- and have valid reasons behind both scenarios. I've seen it happen time after time, particularly with this storm. But, it's best to leave this sort of thing to the pros. Anything I, or Jason, or HF, or anyone posts here should be taken with a grain of salt -- use it to educate yourself, learn more about the science, be prepared...and then review statements from your local emergency management officials, from your local NWS office, and from the NHC. I can't emphasize that enough.

javlin
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:47 AM
Re:Glad to be In

Boy was this place packed today could not get in.Well I am glad now.Frances looks to be almost at an idle or getting there.This is usually a signal for a change in direction.The question then is it a reenforcement of the ridge to the N and how hard.Definitely not easy questions to answer at this time.I would think that in the next 24hrs we might get the answer.Maybe with a strengthing trend just a thought.I agree Phil I was talking to a lady tonight who lost everthing with Alision and she said everything.That is hard to contemplate starting over from nothing.
Thats pretty cool Clark like that understand some of it just not all of it.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:55 AM
Movement?

I swear I can not find any movement with Frances in the past couple of hrs. She really looks to have stalled.

ShawnS

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:56 AM
Re: Movement?

The above post was SoonerShawn.

HanKFranK
(User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:58 AM
salt lick

in my case maybe more than a grain, as of the listed i do not carry a met. degree. that said i've got a scenario-discussion for the overnight.
the convective pattern in the storm right now reminds me a little of bonnie (not this year's bonnie, the one in '98). different animal as far as synoptic conditions, but the storm got a wopperjawed inner core a couple days before landfall and never got it's act together on the way in. that may translate to our current system, as the eye seems to have collapsed and the pressure is stuck near 950. the system should at least maintain itself on the way in.. but if tomorrow morning the pressure has jumped up in the 960s it may in fact be one of those magical weakenings not officially forecast, but a saving grace in terms of intensity. remember, as phil likes to remind the board.. damage increases multiplicatively as the wind speed increases.. 125mph is well below 145mph in terms of damage potential... even if only a category down.
the other thing to watch for is what forecaster stewart (seems to have quite a following) mentions as a late game window for the storm to recharge.. after 24hr the current moderate shear regime is forecast to abate.. and the storm will be over gulf stream waters at the time. calculate that with what clark mentioned about a large envelope storm being less likely to strengthen up to landfall.. and it makes the steady state seem the best option. of course the storm may restructure itself and be back to it's former state tomorrow, but this evening brought what could be great news.. frances may have had it's edge taken off.
late mention of elsewheres..
td 9 signature improving, despite uncertainty with its center.. should become comrade ivan tomorrow. my idea with the storm is right edge of envelope, with significant strengthening as it nears the islands. tentative, but i'd trust it more than my official line on frances (ga/cat4). also, i was doing better with frances five days ago.. for good measure.
97L persists, moving slowly wnw. ridging should build back over it, give it a real development window. i'm not sure on whether it goes out or lingers behind the trough and resumes west. fully dependent on strength and timing... and that's as easy as calling a pitch against a pitcher you've never hit against.
such is the tropics as we enter september 3rd.
HF 0356z03september

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 03:58 AM
slow down..

Anyone have any forecasts or guesses for how long the slow down will be and is it really going 10mph or slower? Seems slower.

Storm is really encased in the high right now even though that is forecasted to happen again over 24 hours from now. Going by maps shown by Norcross all night on the way the ridge works with the storm in it. Both where we are now... what is forecast and other possibilities.

All local coverage is good but getting tired and may mute it and just listen to the radio and write.

Going to be a long Labor Day weekend.

And..just wanted to point out..was surprised about one thing at 11. Had New Orleans in the probs. Low mind you..REAL low and know its probably based on one model or something.. but surprised me to see a city that far away to the west with probs.. any.

Without a trough to the immediate north I think you have to look at tracks more like the 1926 storm that went across the state and towards LA rather than Donna that turned back faster. Don't mean 1926 as in "miami" but as in a bit further up the coast with the same angle. Then again.. 1928 comes to mind though angle was I think sharper indicated a real weakness in the ridge or a front. Someone would know here I am sure.

Bobbi

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:05 AM

Gentlemen,

I have spent the last several hours reading the posts here and am thoroughly pleased that I have found a place to monitor the storm activity with ease, as I have no real experience with how to interpret and predict based on the raw data presented elsewhere. I have loved ones in Ft. Myers and concern for all those affected by the last storm.

Please direct me to the appropriate forum/thread in which I can pose a "novice" question regarding what the chances are for a change in the current track based on outlying contributing factors, such as current moisture and influence from the Northwest, and how they might lead to a more direct path to the Ft. Myers area.

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:07 AM
Re: salt lick

Stewart's discussion tonight was excellent by the way. Yes he does have quite a following.

And, did think on Bonnie a bit a few days back because though no one has talked about it. Several days back..last week maybe Norcross did talk on air about it possibly having it stall in the Bahamas where it is now. Pretty good for like a week ago.

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:09 AM

We take novice questions here just fine!!! However, if you haven't already done so, you might want to peruse the previous couple of topics...your questions might have already been answered...if not, fire away!

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:09 AM
Re: Movement?

For all new to the board. Satellites are in an eclipse with the Sun until 2:15am EDT. The Satellite pics you are looking at most likely atop at 0345Z. There may be several frames of 0345Z, and LSU usually stops their frames around 0400Z.
The sat shots should resume around 2:30-2:45am EDT.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:14 AM

Has anyone started to take al ook at coordinating the expected land fall postion and time with tidal projections to get a total surge and wave height forecast? It will be the next step once we all agree on where it will hit. HA HA HA

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:21 AM
Stewart's Discussion

This was what I was worried about:

Quote:

THE DROPSONDE SURVEILLANCE WIND DATA ALSO INDICATED THAT THE 300 MB
WIND FLOW IS FROM THE SOUTH-SOUTHEAST AND IS UNDERCUTTING THE VERY
IMPRESSIVE OUTFLOW LAYER. THIS HAS LIKELY BEEN DISRUPTING THE EYE
SINCE THE BLOCKING RIDGE TO THE NORTH HAS BEEN TRYING TO PUSH
FRANCES WESTWARD. THIS MID-TO UPPER-LEVEL SHEAR PATTERN IS NOT
FORECAST BY THE MODELS TO ABATE UNTIL ABOUT 24-26 HOURS. AT THAT
TIME...SOME STRENGTHENING MAY OCCUR AS FRANCES PASSES SLOWLY OVER
THE VERY WARM GULFSTREAM.

But also, the water temps are at 88* just ahead of her in the Bahamas. Unless, of course, that is where the Gulfstream begins. That could be a moment for me.

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Frances seems to be crawing at the moment

IR loop for the past hour or so did not show very much movement for Frances... hard to really tell without a discernable eye... but overview of the basic eye wall core did not reveal much movement during the past hour, seems to be some significant convection building in the northern half of the eye wall... IMO... if its moving, its not as fast as it was earlier in the evening... and if its stalled, and I'm certainly not saying it is because I have only been looking at a hour of loops, it could perhaps impact the forecasts down the road, and lord forbid the models might start going bonkers again.. I sure hope not... ... obviously another wild card to monitor this evening for sure....maybe its just a temporary slowdown and could get back on track any minute.... right now watching Frances is like watching grass grow... and without an eye makes it even worse...

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)

Thanks. Here goes...

Is it likely that if the ridge to the north of the storm remains strong, that it will either make landfall enough farther south so as to exit in the Ft. Myers area?

I am curious about how a front heading down from the NW will affect the storm track as it heads north.

I am curious as to how the current moisture affects the potential path the storm may take and the chance of a direction change heading into the Gulf and if that is a possibility.

Like I said...novice questions.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:23 AM
The trend over?

I do not mean to scare, hype or otherwise meteorologically demogouge. That said, I believe that the weakening phase may have come to and end. The convection is solid, and it looks like the whole area of thunderstorms is expanding. That said, I am no expert, so I cannot be at all sure.

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:27 AM

An interesting parallel between 1998 Bonnie and 2004 Frances is that they will go down as two of the most heavily-studied storms during the storm itself in the Atlantic to date. Bonnie had many planes in and out of it all the time as part of various recon flights and field missions (such as CAMEX 4) and as such has been well-studied. In fact, I'm reading a paper on it right now. Frances has had similar flights in and around it and, while the inner-core may not turn out to be as sampled as well as Bonnie, the synoptic environment around the storm has been sampled more heavily than any storm I can recall. In any circumstance, it should be interesting to see papers and research over the next 2 or so years on why the models failed with the ridge around the storm (and thus the forecast tracks).

As another aside, this list has been particularly bad to Florida...and the rest of the basin as well. A friend of mine pointed this out to me -- Allen, Andrew, Mitch, Georges, Charley, Frances -- all storms which came from this list. I'm sure the others probably have similar patterns, but this one is particularly notable.

To go more into my comment about large envelope storms being less likely to intensify near landfall -- the larger a storm is, the longer it takes to spin up. Think of the coin drains you used to see in shopping malls and grocery stores: drop a penny in and watch it go round and round. The smaller the drain, the faster it would move around and faster it would get to the center.

Now, picture a block of air on the periphery of the storm. With a smaller storm, it is going to circulate into the center faster, allowing for faster spin up due to the transfer of additional energy (angular momentum, other quantities I won't go into detail about here due to their complexity...ones which I don't understand either). With a larger storm, it'll eventually get there, but it's got a longer path to get to the center and will move slower around the periphery as well.

Frances isn't going to have *that* much time over the Gulf stream to spin up like that. Some increase is possible, but it should be very modest and in line with NHC projections. Furthermore, the larger circulation means that part of the circulation is going to be affected by the big landmass of Florida a lot sooner than a smaller circulation like Charley was. We've seen the little impacts the Bahamas have had on Frances; now, even once the storm gets to the Gulf Stream, about 20-25% of the circulation envelope will already be over Florida, a percentage that will increase as it nears shore. For part of the storm, its energy source will already be taken away by the time the center gets to the Gulf Stream (and before then, the other side of the storm will still be dealing with the Bahamas). Primarily for these two reasons and partially based upon climatology for these types of storms, that's why a steady-state (or nearly so, as the NHC calls for) solution is probably the best call in this case.

Brief note on TD 9 & 97L - TD 9 should be Ivan sometime tomorrow. The circulation is on the NE side of the convection, or so it appears, but if anything this is going to help it with the fast forward speed towards the west otherwise wanting to tend towards shifting the convection to the east of the center. The GFDL is probably way too high with the intensity, bringing a strong cat 4 hurricane through the central islands in 5 days, but with these deep tropics storms, you never know. Strange how many potential Caribbean storms we've had this year.

97L...it has a shot, but needs to develop some convection over its center. Currently, it's all well-removed to the north and east; it's got to show some better organization soon for it to have a shot. It's one for the fish in the end, and with more pressing matters, that's all I'm going to say about that one unless conditions otherwise warrant.

Okay, I said an hour ago I was going to get some rest -- I mean it this time!

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:27 AM

That is a possible scenario, but not a likely one at this point....the GFDL model is hinting at that, but I believe it to be too far south...if the ridge is much stronger than forecast, then that is a possibility..but at this point not a likelyhood.

The front is a result of other processes that are occuring in the atmosphere, and those are being taken into account..so the effect of the front is really the effects of the entire pattern...you can't really single it out like that too much..

I'm not exactly sure of what you mean in your last question...you mean atmospheric moisture??

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:34 AM
TWC

Could someone please explain to me why the mets on the air, including Steve Lyons, keep saying that the storm is moving to the NW at 10mph while all the while pointing at the info they have at the top of the screen that says WNW @ 10mph? They have been doing this all day long, and they were right for about 2 hours.

Also, on a lighter note: Dr. Lyons said: "Now as the hurricane goes over the very warm waters of the gulfstream, it is very possible that Frances could instensify and make landfall as a CatIV. OR POSSIBLY NOT."

Don't get me wrong, I love Stevie, but .......sometimes I just have to wonder.

And to think I was the only one who felt that way about Dr. Lyons...

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:34 AM

Well, that's where I'm uncertain myself. I understand that during Charlie, there was some correllation made between what I'll assume is atmospheric moisture and the rapid change in direction just prior to landfall. Verifying this would be the first step. Then, if valid, I would be curious as to how that might affect this storm. Hope this makes some sense.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:35 AM

Sat presentation is really beginning to improve. I would be very surprised if she doesn't strengthen a bit now.

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:38 AM
I was wrong.... it is moving as forecast by NHC

Found another satellite that shows the slow but steady movement of Frances off to the WNW to NW.... I would estimate around 300 degrees or so.... you can follow the eye in this loop....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:39 AM

Honestly, and I am not trying to downplay your theory, I haven't heard anything like that..not saying it didn't or doesn't happen, but generally atmospheric moisture in the broad sense has little effect on track. Maybe I'm just dumb!

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:41 AM
0304Z Vortex message

0355Zpressure up a little to 953mb.
0219Z pressure reading was 950mb.
Maximum flight level winds, this flight leg were 92kts-East Quadrant.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)

More likely I'm trying to piece together information and got it confused!

Thanks very much for you replies. I appreciate the site and your time.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)

We ALL try to over-react on minor fluctuaions. The storm should have always stayed at CAT 4. Even if it did acutally warrant a CAT 3 rating the resulting letdown in the general population into a false sense of security would at least be negligent if not criminal on the part of a trained profesional or amatuer hobbyist. The function of both is to alert and motivate people to take protective measures early enough to save lives not take the next exit and turn back to their home on the coast..

Colleen A.
(Moderator)

That was a great explanation, Clark..thank you. I still have one more question:

Will the slow movement increase the likelihood of intensification? If it was moving at a faster clip, I would think not. But my non-meteorological scientific brain (which has a mind of its own) wants to think that the slower the storm moves, the higher the chances are that it would be able to re-intensify. Is forward speed not an issue in relation to this?

Thanks!

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:43 AM
Here's the rub...

>>> I do not mean to scare, hype or otherwise meteorologically demogouge

Alex, don't worry, the points made were not directed at you.

This is a teaching & learning forum, so far be it from me to try to have novice questions be avoided...heck..I'm about one step above novice status...

The point trying to be made is that with the strained bandwidth of the forum, questions such as "how strong will the winds be over my house?" or "should I evacuate now (after actually taking this long to decide)" are not best answered on these boards...as JK advised much earlier today (really yesterday), one should consult one's local NWS. There's probably a link on this site but if not, click here and then click on the nearest city to you. They will have local storm reports and warnings.

If your novice question involves meterology, JK & Clark (if they're on board) or other semi pros can probably answer it. If your question involves something like finding storm surge reports, local reports, shelter locations, past storm tracks, etc., then I can probably find it for you. Don't hesitate to ask, just think whether it's a matter of life and limb (ie, go to NWS) or info.

Also, Mike & John have gone to incredible lengths to supply all the links you will need on either the "Storm Links" section of the site or the main page, so check there first. If you can't get your question answered, then post it here. We'll do our best.

Everyone be safe!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:43 AM

JK...Do you agree that strengthening is occuring as we speak. Sat presentation is much improved. Also, there is still a definite WNW movement. UIf this exits around Tampa and goes to the Biloxi to Pensacola area, what kind of strengthining would you expect?

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:47 AM
Re: I was wrong.... it is moving as forecast by NHC

Good sat pic. Looks like the reds are once again trying to wrap all the way around the center.

When this hurricane season is over, I'm going to take up a new hobby: watching grass grow. At least I'll be about 99.9% correct in my forecast that the grass will grow UPWARDS, not downwards.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:48 AM
Re: Satellites

Please let me know what sites you are using for the satellite links, as all the ones that I have stopped updating at 0400Z.
When the Sun eclipsed the satellites.
Please check the time of the sat pictures you are looking at.

There will be interruptions in GOES-East imagery between 03:00 UTC and 06:00 UTC, and interruptions in GOES-West imagery between 07:00 UTC and 09:00 UTC due to the Fall 2004 Eclipse Season. Earth will fully "eclipse" each satellite during certain times, and we need to shut down the imager and sounder on each satellite to conserve power during these times. You can download detailed eclipse schedules at:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SATS/eclipse.html

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/status.html

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:53 AM
Re: Here's the rub...

Speaking of bandwidth, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mike for all the hard work he's been putting in to keep this site up and running. Thanks to all...Mike, John, moderators....me....

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 04:58 AM

Okay, I think this may be a *little* off topic, but it still relates to the weather.

Just when we say something here on the site, the WC met says the exact opposite. One person says "we may have a problem when it crosses the Gulfstream waters and reintensify before making landfall", then along comes another person saying "it's possible that it will but it's possible that it won't, too."

And I like Dave S., but is he on any medications?

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:00 AM

Thanks Colleen -- yes, the slower movement would tend to lead towards a greater chance of restrengthening. It would allow greater time for the storm to spin-up, despite the impacts of land. Were it moving faster, it'd hit land faster and lack that time to spin-up at all.

On the flip side however, the slower it moves, the more it will weaken over land, while a faster-moving storm is going to weaken less over land. This works pretty much for the reverse reasons as the over-water scenario.

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:00 AM

not too sure that there is strengthening going on right now...latest vortex found 953 mb....there is new convection yes, and that might be a sign of strengthening, but it is unclear as of yet.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:03 AM
Re: Colleen...

Yes, they put Dave on night shift.

Outer band now visible on Miami radar.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p19r0/si.kamx.shtml

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:16 AM
Re: Colleen...

Wow...that's a great radar shot! Thanks!

Check you PM (Private mail)

Colleen

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:17 AM
Re: think comeback.....

based on last sat...(0402)... i see a comeback and a center.../eye again....the CDO looked alot better than a fews hrs ago....it should be more north than thought.....also i notice there appears to be a breakdown of the ridge to the northwest to west and i am thinking a west movement is not far off....maybe at 280 or -/+ 10 and a speed of 5-8kts
landfall within 36-48 hrs
there is just to much warm water to the west and good upper level conditions for it not make it back to cat 4
recon is finding some interesting data too....

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:20 AM
hey jason..and Phil and NHC

son in tallahassee wants to know if i am set for the storm..and.. "are they getting the storm there too?" lol

good luck later in the week

Phil... am sorry... think you were right..its taking at least 13 days from when we argued over it to make landfall. I was wrong. Are we going for 23?

And...as for NHC track.. its unreal perfect overall.

Printed out a map from some link online Patrick air force base I think.. had the 5 day chart on a dotted hurricane map where you could use it to track. I saved it to check out later.

It's later. The map is from 8/30.

I plotted the last several days backward and the current track lines up almost immediately just to the south of (left) of the other. Maybe .3 or .4 all the way just south of that track.

Unreal.. glad I saved it on impulse.
Good job.. course this forecast was before they pulled it to the left a bit and called for a bend back to the left and were forecasting a possible strike to the north.

Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:23 AM

Wow, Fred...lots of good info there. I'm going to go charge up my battery on the puter so I can check back in a little while. Keep up the good work, everyone!

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:30 AM
Re: hey jason..and Phil and NHC

>>> Phil... am sorry... think you were right..its taking at least 13 days from when we argued over it to make landfall. I was wrong. Are we going for 23?

Bobbi,

that's about the ONLY thing I got right about this monster. Be safe...you're probably OK in Mia...respect the cone...love it.

For the rest of you guys in the cone...follow the NHC, not us...although...they won't be PMing you with up to date guesscasts...lol.

Seriously, though...Mike & John have made more info available on this site than you can imagine...you might have to click a few links...but you'll find it.

Godspeed Florida

Had to update this post...just heard one of the funniest comments I've EVER heard: "Airports are not public shelters." (from TWC and reiterated by Stephanie Abrahms). If you saw JFK (up by me), you might disagree.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:42 AM

Jason what do you think of the models tending more NNW along the coast in the 0Z run. Havnt checked the Ukmet but Nogaps and GFS with ETA say this might parrel florida coast.
Also do you think they will adjust back to the west?

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:55 AM

2am
Reports from an Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter aircraft indicate
maximum sustained winds are now near 120 mph

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 05:59 AM

I don't interpret those models that way....the 00z GFS is practically a mirror of the NHC track placed about 75-100 further north...the Eta is slower but has very little parallel motion (no more than 4-6 hrs) as does the NOGAPS...I see no real implied paralell motion to the coastline from the 00z runs...at least not anything over a few hrs.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:05 AM
Re: Maximum Winds

This is from the last Recon fix:
URNT12 KNHC 030528
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 03/0528Z
H. 954 MB
P. AF985 2006A FRANCES OB 35
MAX FL WIND 92 KT E QUAD 0304Z.
92KT equals 105.94 mph. And that's at Flight Level!
I'm not saying the winds aren't 120mph. It's just the data from Recon doesn't support that wind speed report.

LI Phil
(User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:09 AM

>>> Jason what do you think of the models tending more NNW along the coast in the 0Z run. Havnt checked the Ukmet but Nogaps and GFS with ETA say this might parrel florida coast.

Hey scottsvb, missed you for a while.

Hopefully JK can answer that one...I'm not a met though. I did want to say, for the UMPTEENTH time...and the real mets can agree/disagree with me...this has been one of the most difficult (and remains that way) storms to predict/forecast. I've already bulked crow from my initial Hattaras forecast (thought that was more than a week ago and I never did gather the stones to refine it...always wishcasted it north and east...burned like the toast I get from my favorite diner).

At this point, and as a mod..I'm now out of the guesscasting game...refer to NWS. I will say it is a FL hit. That's as far as I'm willing to go.

I can only hope the present weakening trend continues but unfortunately...these are facts...ERC (Eyewall Replacement Cycle) probably complete...CAT IV strengthening probably on Friday...warm SSTs...low shear...NOT GOOD.

If I had a met degree I might make a forecast but I don't.

JK? ED? Clark? Even Kev or Mike or HF or Ribbit or Scottsvb what's the calll? I don't want to eat any more crow...quite frankly...I'm full!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:11 AM

URNT11 KNHC 030558
97779 05584 60259 77010 30700 06063 1110/ /3075
RMK AF985 2006A FRANCES OB 39

what are thee fl winds in this danielw.....just making sure i see what i see..... 11 mins ago

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:15 AM

61616 AF985 2006A FRANCES OB 36

anyone see this Dropsonde Observations?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAREPNT3.shtml?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:16 AM

97779 05584 60259 77010 30700 06063 1110/ /3075
...........0558Z.N-25.9 77.0W 300mb? 060 at 63kts temp11c dewpoint 10C. I think the last is surface wind 030 at 75kts
060degrees( ENE) at 63kts. 72.54 mph

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:18 AM

I think the difficulty came in the believability of the model data...not the forecasting part itself...I think that Clark and I would agree that other than subtle nuances, this analysis of the situation was not terribly hard, or at least not abnormally hard..it was just that what we had analyzed and what the models were saying were many times not meshing very well. The met community has become very model driven...at the expense of good analysis...that is why I respect Stacy Stewart...he doesn't start with the model data, he starts with a GOOD analysis of the current setup, and proceeds from there with a good idea of what good data should and should not look like.

Anybody can read a model....forecasting well is an entirely different skill.

Off to bed...need some rest for the weekend.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:26 AM

anyone got sats back?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:27 AM

It shouldn't be too long now. Hopefully less than 15 minutes.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:39 AM
Re: recon

heading home
URNT11 KNHC 030626
97779 06264 60271 78400 31000 06037 1252/ /3138
RMK AF985 2006A FRANCES OB 40
LAST REPORT

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:54 AM
Re:sats

anyone got sats back?
nothin like being blind.......

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:56 AM

You are reading my mind. I just checked 3 sites, and nothing but old shots. They are running late tonight. Figures!
I double checked the eclipse chart and it was supposed to be over at 0611Z. That was 50 minutes ago.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:56 AM

Not yet, but I imagine it wont look very good as the pressure has continued to rise. She seems to be falling apart.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:58 AM
Re:sats bck

wow.....
645z

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:59 AM

It looks like its a dud this storm is a total lost

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 06:59 AM

Post the link...I still can't get it.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:00 AM

Sats are now up!!
Looks like she trying to rebuild her eyewall.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:01 AM

http://antares.esl.lsu.edu/AOI/AOI3_wv.html

now frances? what's up....very small CDO

Humanriff
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:02 AM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:04 AM

I SEE A WEST MOVEMENT OF SOME SORTS
655z

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:05 AM

Did she take a left hook over the north end of Cat Island, or is it just the framing?

Rabbit
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:06 AM

Frances is down to 120 mph with a pressure of 954 millibars--i dont think this is going to reintensify
Frances appears to be undergoing some heavy southwesterly wind shear that is only getting stronger, and may even work to push the storm north

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:06 AM

eye is btwn islands, it appears eye is trying to come back

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:11 AM

I need a few more new frames. She had been running east of the islands. Now she is over Cat Island, which would indicate a very slight westward jog.
On your loop, look at the outer eastern edge. From the 0345 shot to the 0645 shot it moves more west than north. In fact until I see more frames I would call it a due west move.
The eye is still on the questionable side. But she is over land.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:15 AM

http://antares.esl.lsu.edu/AOI/AOI3_ir_loop.html

circle or orange means...... hmm
darker circle.....

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:18 AM

we cant call it anything yet cause if you think about it,,,last frame was at 1145pm now 245am... recon had it at 24.7N and 75.7 near 2am and from 11pm - 2am it went .3 N and .4 w. so that is NW unless in last hour it went W,,then its a wobble, but hey, not saying it wont drift w or wnw now.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:20 AM

looks like i see a small center

Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:21 AM
Ivan and Frances

well... here's to hoping Frances falls apart... though NRL has Ivan up now... suspect an upgrade at 5am

Perhaps too many little islands disrupting the windfield a tad? or perhaps the storm will get it's act together and regain it's lost power.

Night all,
Mark

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:25 AM
Re:Orange

John, that's a really good link from LSU. The yellow is indicating cloud temperatures in the minus 70-75degree range.
The orange, what we are seeing now, minus 75-80 degrees.
Should we see red that would be in the minus80-85 degree range.
These temps are the estimated cloud top temps, and indicate that the clouds are growing higher. In other words, she could be intensifying, especially if the oranges and reds form a circle around the "eye" area.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:30 AM

Dry/subsiding air appears to be near the center on the western side. Circulation being squeezed somewhat, and elongating E/W. Hopefully for Florida residents, this won't be just a temporary situation, and the storm will continue to disorganize and weaken. Rather deal with a cat 2 than a cat 4.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:33 AM
Tropical storm Ivan

It has formed by Nrl.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:34 AM
Re: ridge

the ridge i see blocking her is fading on west to nw side..also it appeared to link to something south of cuba and carrib......that too has moved west or faded.... i think a west movement has begun...at 715z center appeared over a northern island tip....warren...just said the samething....twc.... and the wrap around the center in last few frames....looks to be cuttin btwn islands.....

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:34 AM
Re:NWS Miami update

HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
210 AM EDT FRI SEP 3 2004

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
MIAMI-DADE EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HAS DIRECTED AN EVACUATION FOR RESIDENTS IN EVACUATION ZONES A AND B...INCLUDING BARRIER ISLANDS...MOBILE HOMES...KEY BISCAYNE...MIAMI BEACH AND ALL LOW LYING AREAS AND COASTAL AREAS EAST OF U.S. 1. EVACUATION CENTERS IN MIAMI-DADE ARE OPEN.

PALM BEACH EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HAS ORDERED A MANDATORY EVACUATION FOR ALL PERSONS IN AREAS A AND B...INCLUDING MOBILE HOMES AND BARRIER ISLANDS AND THE LAKE SIDE OF THE HOOVER DIKE. PALM BEACH SHELTERS ARE OPEN.

BROWARD COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HAS ORDERED A MANDATORY EVACUATION FOR PERSONS LIVING ON BARRIER ISLANDS AND ALL MOBILE HOMES. BROWARD SHELTERS ARE OPEN BUT EVACUEES ARE URGED TO STAY WITH FRIENDS OR RELATIVES.

GLADES COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HAS ORDERED A MANDATORY EVACUATION OF PEOPLE LIVING IN MOBILE HOMES...ESPECIALLY IN THE NORTHEAST PORTION OF THE COUNTY. SHELTERS ARE OPEN.

HENDRY COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT WILL LOCK DOWN THE FORT DENAUD BRIDGE ONCE TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS REACH THE AREA EARLY IN THE WEEKEND. HENDRY COUNTY SHELTERS ARE OPEN FOR VOLUNTARY
EVACUATION.

COLLIER COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HAS CLOSED SCHOOLS AND WILL OPEN SHELTERS AT 6 PM ON FRIDAY.

ALL SCHOOLS IN SOUTH FLORIDA WILL BE CLOSED FRIDAY. CALL YOUR LOCAL COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT HOTLINE NUMBERS AVAILABLE ON COMMERCIAL TELEVISION AND RADIO FOR DETAILED INFORMATION.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:37 AM

look at lsu IR
725z
haven't seen that in awhile.....:)

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:43 AM
Re:NWS Key West update

HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT...HURRICANE FRANCES
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE KEY WEST FL
245 AM EDT FRI SEP 3 2004

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A STATE OF EMERGENCY IS IN EFFECT IN MONROE COUNTY AND ALL COUNTY OFFICES ARE CLOSED. SCHOOLS ARE NOT IN SESSION TODAY SO THEY CAN BE CONVERTED TO SHELTERS.
THE COUNTY HAS ORDERED A MANDATORY EVACUATION FOR NON-RESIDENTS AND VISITORS FROM OCEAN REEF TO CRAIG KEY AT MILE MARKER 72. ALL RECREATIONAL VEHICLES SHOULD LEAVE THE KEYS.
AN EVACUATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR MOBILE HOME RESIDENTS IN THE UPPER AND MIDDLE KEYS IF AND WHEN A HURRICANE WARNING IS ISSUED. TOLLS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED ON CARD SOUND ROAD. YOU MAY ALSO EVACUATE SOUTH TO THE LOWER KEYS.

SHELTERS WILL OPEN AT 800 AM TODAY. SHELTERS ARE LOCATED AT:
CORAL SHORES HIGH SCHOOL ON PLANTATION KEY.
STANLEY SWITLIK SCHOOL IN MARATHON.
GLYNN ARCHER SCHOOL IN KEY WEST.

RESIDENTS IN THE MIDDLE AND UPPER KEYS SHOULD SECURE LOOSE OBJECTS PLEASE REMEMBER THAT HURRICANE TRACK FORECASTS CONTAIN SOME AMOUNT OF ERROR. CHECK FREQUENTLY FOR LATER UPDATES.

JOHN PENNEKAMP AND LONG KEY STATE PARTS ARE CLOSED.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:46 AM
Re:NWS Key West update

danielw what do you think that means?

i see a NE eye wall forming....0732

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:49 AM
Re:LSU

What does what mean?
Gee I wish you were registered. I could PM you.

Try this loop of Miami radar, and look at the north and/ or westward motion.
http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kamx.shtml

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 07:52 AM

anyone see anything here?

if in northern keys, why EVACUATE SOUTH TO THE LOWER KEYS!!!!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:03 AM

Frances was not worth moving 2 million people what a dud!

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:06 AM

That's the 8 million dollar question at this hour. The forecast track would put the lower Keys further away than anybody trying to outrun the storm and traffic jams. I saw that too, and that's the only resoning I can come up with.
Put yourself in the forecaster's or the evacuee's shoe's, and you and I would probably do the same. At this time!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:11 AM

Naple ft myers? Thats where i would go if in s florida

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:12 AM
Re:Dud

I don't think I would say something like that. You may entertain that thought, and try it again After She Is No Longer A Threat to anyone. Storms have no brains and they go where they will. She could just as well end up in my backyard.
However a benign threat she may appear to you and others, there are people on here, and in FL, that are terrified of Frances.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:15 AM
Re: sat

wait do i see red?

danielw what do you think movement is?
thinking 285 or less and slower....... eyewall looks better to me now and CDO is expanding........

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:15 AM

Wouldn't be going to the lower Keys for a million dollars---poor Miami-------

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:17 AM
Frances continues to weaken

Nice forum here. Anyway, I've looked at all the data as of 4:08 am ET and I expect on the 5 am advisory will maintain Frances as a Category 3 storm, though clearly the 0547Z vortex message clearly shows she's weakening due to subsidence on her NW side and S to SSE shear over her at 300mb. I took a look at the CIMSS data and there is a hint of an eye reappearing and she appears to be regaining her symmetry, though a bit flattened. It may also be noted that Frances may be undergoing an eye wall replacement at this time too. Tops have been cooling over the past couple of hours as well. Looking at the 300mb Analysis and 500 mb Analysis, I"m in agreement with NHC official track, though I wouldn't at all be surprised if this system comes to a virtual standstill at some point late Friday as a blocking ridge continues to slightly build NNW of the storm with axises extending WSW in the GOM and ENE into a another center near Bermuda. If Frances can get away from the shear, the warm Gulf Stream should reintensify her to a CAT 4 before landfall now projected for Saturday night. Recent water vapor imagery shows a decrease in dry air to it's N and NW, so I would think some strengthening is likely.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:22 AM
Re: Frances continues to weaken

Welcome to the boards here Alaberry Patch, great info you gave out there. We will like to hear more as soon as you can. Ty scottsvb

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:25 AM

Bill, welcome to the board. I have a question for you. Nash Roberts of WWL-TV used to say the point with the lowest barometric pressure ahead of the storm usually gets the storm. Any reasoning behind that?
Scott you are welcome to put in your 2 cents on the question, too.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:29 AM

I think its drifting right now but hard to tell.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:35 AM
Re: sat

Okay John, I see the eye like area you were talking about. The NE quadrant has some tremendous buildups.Warren Madden at TWC is even talking about it.
Bet he's glad he's not flying this one.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:36 AM
Following Lowest Pressure

I remember Nash when I was a kid back in the late 70s. To answer your question; it's similar to a trough or shortwave...it is the area of lowest pressure or lowest height; thus the least resistance. Many may wonder why the storm isn't going to move north despite what appears to be two anticyclones in the upper air; reason is there's an axis or you may think of it as a longwave ridge given it is a full latitude ridge. A ridge axis if strong enough; currently 5930 over Bermuda and 5920 near Daytona Bch. FL is a barrier to hurricanes. I wouldn't at all be surprised if you see Frances wobble west a bit over the next 24 hours and as I mentioned don't be surprised if she stalls a bit as the ridge has actually built over the last 12 hours by about 20 decameters. I've noted the cooling tops as I mentioned a moment ago. Everybody has to remember eyewall replacement weakens the storm; once done, it begins to reintensify. This is a normal process. As I said, there is some shear over the system too, but the huge area of subsidence from yesterday is almost gone.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:40 AM
Re: Following Lowest Pressure

Seems like its W side Bill still has alot of subsidence,,,you agree?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:41 AM

Thanks, I didn't think many here knew Nash.
The latest hourly roundup has Miami Beach with 29.76 (1007.8mb), followed by Flamingo,FL with 29.79 (1008.8mb).
Does that fit your profiling?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/newpage/obs.html

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:43 AM

EyeWall Replacement Cycles: "Concentric eyewall cycles" (or "eyewall replacement cycle" ) naturally occur in intense tropical cyclones , i.e. major hurricanes (winds > 50 m/s, 100 kt, 115 mph) or Catories 3, 4, and 5 on the Saffir-Simpson scale. As tropical cyclones reach this threshold of intensity, they usually - but not always - have an eyewall and radius of maximum winds that contract to a very small size, around 10 to 25 km [5 to 15 mi]. At this point, some of the outer rainbands may organize into an outer ring of thunderstorms that slowly moves inward and robs the inner eyewall of its needed moisture and momentum. During this phase, the tropical cyclone is weakening (i.e. the maximum winds die off a bit and the central pressure goes up). Eventually the outer eyewall replaces the inner one completely and the storm can be the same intensity as it was previously or, in some cases, even stronger. A concentric eyewall cycle occurred in Hurricane Andrew (1992) before landfall near Miami: a strong intensity was reached, an outer eyewall formed, this contracted in concert with a pronounced weakening of the storm, and as the outer eyewall completely replaced the original one the hurricane reintensified. Another example is Hurricane Allen (1980) which went through repeated eyewall replacement cycles -- going from Categrory 5 to Category 3 status several times. To learn more about concentric eyewall cycles, read Willoughby et al. (1982) and Willoughby (1990a).Courtesy of the NOAA Hurricane Research Division at http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D8.html

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:47 AM
Re: Just in Time

Recon is back up just filed their first position report.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:47 AM

Just a link to the besk animated satellite photos I have ever seen...

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/%7Erickk/frances.html

rmbjoe1954
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:49 AM

So I interpret this as meaning that Frances may 'stall' and plunge more west than NW because of the 'axis' status?

That should make Emergency Mgt officials nervous from Miami-Dade to Brevard. Any contemplated changes in the track as a result?

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:51 AM
Subsidence W of Frances?

No! I looked at a couple of sites to check for varying wavelengths on the watervapor shots and with the exception of the NW side; the atmosphere has moistened. Take a look over by Texas and you will see "dry" air associated with a shortwave over the Midwest. Don't get me wrong, there is some subsidence there; but I'm inclined to believe the shear over the system is what's disrupting the eye mechanism right now and CER.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 08:55 AM
Re: Color Sat pic

Thanks, LakeCountySeat , awesome link!

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 03 2004 09:05 AM
Re: LSU Sat pic

John there is Red popping up in the N quadrant. In the middle of the orange area, from 11 to 12 o'clock position.
http://antares.csi.lsu.edu/AOI/AOI3_ir.html

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 09:09 AM
Is Frances a dud?

No wx info here. Just an attemept at humorous frustration.

I've watched millions flee Florida sucking up all the gas at most gas stations. No resupply because the ports are shut down. We're stuck in Florida waiting on this fickle hurricane.

When she was a Cat IV, I was worried. Now, I'm just ready for here to fly by me and drop some rain and move on.

Frances, I think you're a dud. Proove me wrong.

(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 11:53 AM
Re: Is Frances a dud?

no kidding! frances is falling apart. I just cant see her coming back to life.

HanKFranK
(User)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:05 PM

could be. but notice the official forecast landfall is getting consistently later. that ridge breakdown some of the globals were on is looking very real right now. there's still lots of time to for the storm to change its trends.. the shear goes away and the storm will spin back up.
it's not something that can be easily forecast, shear.. quite often modeling suggests over and over that shear will die down but it never does.
also, keep the conversive chatter and redundant information off the main board. i posted something to that effect last night, and i mean it.
HF 1203z03september

Rasvar
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:05 PM

I personally see four scenarios. One is the current forecast. I give it about 50%. Two is that Frances continues on current track; but is cat 2 or less at landfall. 20% Three is that show moves more northerly, weakening as she goes and enters north of the Cape to GA/SC border at cat 1/2. 10%

Fourth scenario is the one that still concerns me. All of the above are still huge rain events; but the wind event is diminsished. The fourth is the biggest question. A stall after it gets to the Gulf Stream for extended period of time. Thus, allowing the dynamics to improve and rebuild back to Cat 4 after which the path is a who knows. 20%

Those are my ideas. Not changing my preps at all though.

LadyStorm
(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:09 PM

You may think that and it may come to be. But when milions of lives are at stake its best to error on the side of caution.

It's complacency that takes lives.

Frances is just temporarily weakening, she will be coming into more favorable conditions soon. The Gulf Stream is very warm.

MaryAnn

Quote:

Frances was not worth moving 2 million people what a dud!

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:13 PM

What an answer to prayer! Frances has weakened considerably despite everyone's assurance that she be a CAT IV when making landfall. I appreciate the post last night (from Agent B) that first noted the increasing shear coming from W. Cuba.
Previously, NHC would not intensify the storm prior to landfall. Now that Frances has weakened, they are going against guidance and trying to strengthen it again, but with low confidence of course. Our biggest challenge in forecasting "mother nature" is human nature!
Frances has weakened considerably, but is still a force to be reckoned with - a minimal CAT III storm with destructive winds along the coast, widespread heavy rain, heavy surf, flooding, tornadoes, etc. It's the Bahamas which have taken the brunt of this one, and they will need help.
"Prepare for the worst, pray for the best."

firestar_1
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:14 PM

In looking at the current pressures I see that Miami Beach pressures are the lowest and still falling on the esat coast, and Naples is doning the same thing on the east coast. I used the falling pressures to track Hugo years ago. So after going through Charlie, I'll error on the side of caution and expect this storm to start moving west around the ridge and it should start building after it gets past the islands. Any comments would be helpful. We still have a mess here in our area and cleanup really has not started in most areas around here.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:20 PM

Tracks and intensity on this baby are so very uncertain. We left Orlando yesterday morning at 5:35 a.m. and we are now in Atlanta. I have no regrets on leaving. I may have had regrets if we stayed.

(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:21 PM

Is it a possibility that this storm could downgrade to a tropical storm before even making landfall?

Rasvar
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:29 PM

Always a possibility. Just like it is an equal or greater possibility it gets back to Cat 4. Best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:31 PM

Could up dwelling even weaken this storm more over the next few days ? Is it going to slow down that much ?

WXMAN RICHIE
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:32 PM
Track

Frances seems to have lost its punch from some southwesterly shear from a high pressure area to the SW of the storm that was not expected. Even though this southwesterly shear weakened the storm, it really has not been able to push the storm more to the right. This makes me think that the storm really still wants to stay left. I believe as it moves a bit farther north and closer to the other high north of it, that the flow around that high will push the storm directly to the west. It also will increase in strength again due to the slow movement and gulf stream. Don't let your guard down. It looks like it is weakening and slowing down which is buying us some more time. But, it can strengthen again and if it does turn due west it is not that far off shore.

Ed in Va
(Weather Master)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:34 PM

If Frances fizzles, it will be interesting to watch the media and public reaction to having evac'd all the people. It was certainly a sound decision, but I wonder how much static the NHC will take. Worse, people may not take future warnings seriously.

Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:43 PM
Seems like they always.......

have a surprise or two for us don't they..... par for the course.... we sometimes think we have them all figured out, last weekend we said, come Thursday and we'd have a handle on Frances.... if we have a handle on it we're not holding on very tight....

bottom like, appears to me we are years away from truly being able to accurately forecast what these things will do as to track and intensity.... yeah, we've gotten really good over the past few years, with all the technology available.... but nature is not as an exact science as some want to make it.... that's the beauty of it all... wonder what her next surpise will be?

and it makes us all eat a little humble pie every now and then.... I've had my full for sure....

The residents of Florida did what they had to do.... cudos for their great response to what was at the time an epic disaster in the making.... THIS EVENT IS NOT OVER YET EITHER....

hopefully Frances will not find her former glory days... we'll see

DMFischer
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:52 PM
Re: Seems like they always.......

Okay, I am such an amature at this I could be in diapers, BUT, I have been watching the loops and I am seeing the eye try to form in the last one or two frames. I think she is going to gain some form and wind again. Not as bad, but my "gut" tells me she is not done yet.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:52 PM

Those of us living from Punta Gorda up through Arcadia, Lake Wales, Kissimmee, Orlando, Daytona will be happy if this storm becomes a "dud". Unfortunately, a cat 2/3 storm is not a dud. Many lost their roofs/businesses etc and were without power for 2 weeks after cat 2 conditions from Charley (Polk/Osceola counties).

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Fri Sep 03 2004 12:56 PM
Re: Seems like they always.......

Back after a much needed break from the storm.....After reading some of the posts I have to feel that this is no time for complacency as this is still a very dangerous storm lurking in the Atlantic. I mean remember what only 90-100 mph winds did to Orlando during Charley and the winds for this storm are at 125mph still. Plus with the slow forward speed is something that no one really wanted to try to deal with and that is the immense amount of rain that this monster's gonna dump on S and C Florida.

Plus Atlanta is right in the cross hairs of a major flooding event to the north with the remnants of this monster.

I feel that the people who evac'd were very smart and I also think that people are still gun-shy over what happened with Charley too.

Just my .02 worth....

Also FYI, there are NO hotel rooms on I-75 available from Valdosta all the way to Dalton, Ga because of the evacuees, UGA and GT home openers, a sci-fi convention and other things. People are heading over to Alabama or SC to find rooms now.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center