MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:15 PM
Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest

10AM
Jeanne has slowed down a bit, the much touted turn to the north might actually accur inland today as some projections indicated. The NHC's track hasn't been too far off since it made landfall.

Original Update
Hurricane Jeanne has been inland overnight since landfall . The center is located just a bit south of Bartow right now and it's still chugging away to the west, with the northerly component finally showing up some. Unfortunately it's still just a hair further west than even the 5AM track this morning so it may wind up staying over the Gulf of Mexico a little longer, but not enough to restrengthen to category 3.

The forward motion has slowed a bit down to 12MPH, but it's still moving faster than Frances did. Winds are still being felt on the coast to the east, and damage reports right now are scarce. But should start flowing in soon.

Many people in central Florida are without power now, the further north you go the less widespread it is.

Event Related Links

Tampa Bay Radar

StormCarib reports from the Bahamas
You can find links to County Emergency Management offices at floridadisaster.org
Jeanne Color Satellite
Various Audio/Video Feeds from hurricane affected areas
Hurricane Local Statements for Weather Offices in:
All Current Hurricane Local Statements

Mark Sudduth is doing video updates as he heads toward Vero to set up his reasearch team. Check on it here.
Hurricanetrack HIRT vehicle (camera, and more)

Melbourne (East Central Florida) - Long Range Radar Loop
Miami (South Florida) - Long Range Radar Loop
Jacksonville (North Florida) - Long Range Radar Loop

Jeanne Models -- This image animated over time
Karl Models -- This image animated over time
Lisa Models -- This image animated over time
Jeanne Sphagehtti Model from BoatUS/Hurricane Alley
Jeanne Plots from Weather Underground
Jeanne Satelllite Image with track/radar Overlays

Jeanne Radar Image

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa. Miami, Key West, Jacksonville.
Melbourne

General Links
Skeetobite's storm track maps

Current Aircraft Recon Info (Decoded) thanks Londovir
Other Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

RAMSDIS Satellite Images (high speed)

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC,GFDL, JMA,NOGAPS,UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
Multi-model plots from Mid-Atlantic Weather
Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, Hurricanetrack.com (Mark Sudduth), HurricaneVille, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , WXRisk, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,

Even more on the links page.

LadyStorm
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:30 PM
Jeanne now low cat 1

She has weaked to 70k. Here is a map depicting her location and strength as of 9 am:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNatio...ne&pid=none

mud1967
(Weather Watcher)
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest

Do you think that it will be a Cat I or II when it get to Tallahassee? Or just a TS?

Will it go west of us at all?

Ocala
(Weather Watcher)

Not too bad yet here in Ocala. Not raining much, but looking at radar looks like it is just starting to move into our area. Weatherbug shows sustained winds 23 mph with gusts up to 39.

LadyStorm
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:38 PM

From the most current map, she will be a strong TS when she passes by you, but far enough to the east of you that you all should make out okay in Tally.

MaryAnn

Quote:

Do you think that it will be a Cat I or II when it get to Tallahassee? Or just a TS?

Will it go west of us at all?

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:41 PM

Really appreciate most of these posts - calm, caring, rational - thanks everyone.
In NW Hillsborough, finally saw a wind gust over 50 mph. Contrary to what everyone else is saying, we were well prepared for Jeanne here (cat 1 winds) based upon NHC "forecast cone." No surprises here! Great job by most of the local TV mets throughout the night here keeping people updated on the situation and path of the storm without any needless speculation.
Had to help get a woman out of a car in a flooded ditch early this morning; ran off the road into 2-3 feet of water. She'll be OK.
Just lost local weather site at Tampa Catholic H.S. - power about to go out. 29.32 and falling. N winds 40 G 55 mph and climbing. God bless.

robynsmom
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:44 PM

Winds starting to pic up here North of Dade City. Rain has been constant for a while now. Thanks for all the great post up till you all lots power. My prayers are with you all.

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:46 PM
Re: RevUp

RevUp - my hat is off to you! Great rescue. Stay safe!

Karen

Andy Dorr
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:46 PM

Sarasota, Florida, 9:40 AM: Wind is rising just a bit, about 5 mph in the last 30 minutes. The wind is from the WNW (300 degrees) at 43 MPH (37 KT) gusting to 60 MPH (53 KT). Pressure is holding at 988 mb. Rain is becoming harder, about a ¼” in the last hour. Lots of leaves and small branches down, but no trees yet in our area. Power continues to go on and off. FPL is going to have their work cut out for them to do restoration after Jeanne passes. It took 2 weeks to do all the restoration after Francis and 3 weeks for Charley.

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:49 PM

If I'm not mistaken, last few radar frames looks like Jeanne has slowed its westward movement and is turning more northward! Stay tuned!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:51 PM
Re: Storm Tide Flooding

I'd imagine with W-NW winds gusting to 60 mph in Sarasota County that it won't take long for coastal flooding to develop - this will be the story up the gulf coast as we head into the late afternoon. Also, has anyone else noticed the storm's speed seems to be slowing down a bit?

erauwx
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:52 PM

YES! i was just going to post about the NNW movement i see on the MLB radar. It almost looks north, but it's probably just a wobble

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:52 PM

Yep, looks like we are about to get the first real band here.

Pressure is 29.47 and slowly dropping.

Ocala
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

YES! i was just going to post about the NNW movement i see on the MLB radar. It almost looks north, but it's probably just a wobble

Can you post a link? Thanks. All my bookmarks are on my office computer.

erauwx
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:55 PM

I wouldn't be suprised it they post a tornado warning for volusia and flagler soon. that outer rainband doesn't look good

Andy Dorr
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:58 PM
Attachment

Sarasota, Florida, 9:55 AM: Storm continues to look like its tracking west. Eye is in southern Polk County. Weather has stayed constant sine last post. The wind is from the WNW (300 degrees) at 43 MPH (37 KT) gusting to 60 MPH (53 KT). Pressure is holding at 988 mb. Rain is becoming harder, about a ¼” in the last hour.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:58 PM

Panama City here and I just noticed they have us under a TS Warning...does anyone feel that we have chance of feeling any effects from this. I would think we're to far west for this to happen, but would love to hear others comments.
THanks

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:59 PM

Just found this observation from Oviedo (E of Orlando) strongest winds just recently occurred! Storm really seems to be spreading out as it weakens! .. based on reports from Sarasota as well.

Realtime Weather From St. Luke's Lutheran School in Oviedo, FL

9/26/04 - 9:48:20 AM CURRENT MIN/MAX HOURLY CHANGE
Wind (mph) E at 22.6 ENE 63.8 at 7:53a
Rain (") 3.32 2.44 "/h at 7:56a 1.08
Pressure ("Hg) 29.25 29.54 at 12:10a
29.25 at 9:48a 0.04 drop/hr

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 01:59 PM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p37cr/si.kmlb.shtml

LadyStorm
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:00 PM
Did I hear possible Tornado Warnings???

That band just passed through here and it was pretty nasty. I am here in Ormond Beach just south of the Volusia/Flagler line. I was about to say its lightned up a bit, but here comes another wave of heavy heavy rain, and the highest wind gusts I have seen yet from this storm. Let us know if you hear of the warnings before they are posted.

Stay safe,
MaryAnn

Quote:

I wouldn't be suprised it they post a tornado warning for volusia and flagler soon. that outer rainband doesn't look good

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:01 PM
Re: Jeanne Rainfall Totals

Doppler estimates for total storm rainfall for most of Polk County are now 4-6 inches. A small area near Lakeland ranges from 6-8 inches. And rainfall rates of 1-2 in/hr continue. With the storms forward motion slowing, I'm getting concerned about major flooding in Polk County.

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you post a link? Thanks. All my bookmarks are on my office computer.

From links posted above ...
Tampa Bay Radar

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:05 PM

My daughter at thismomoent is diving her Jeep Wrangler in NE Hillsborough County, trying to get to her Dad's home. How much danger is she in right now, considering the location and the vehicle?

Ocala
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:06 PM

Thanks for the links. Channel 2 in Orlando is saying it looks like it is slowing down, maybe indicative that it might be changing direction.

dwlobo
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:12 PM

Here in Palmetto, the wind is holding steady at 45, with gusts to 60. More branches coming down from the oak trees. Getting a wicked rain band now. Pressure is still going down, now at 29.17.
I sail a lot and we talk about the wind blowing the dog off the chain... it almost literally happened to my sheltie this am when I took him for a walk, until I could get into the lee side of the house.

MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:12 PM

It would be interesting to see what the ground truth is in those areas you mentioned, because Doppler estimates can be off. I don't know if this is still the case, but I am assuming it is, but tropical systems tended to be under-reported by Doppler estimates due to droplet size I believe. Just like storms with hail were over-estimated.
If this is no longer true, please feel free to correct me.
Either way, as time goes on, this becomes a story of flood potential and tornadoes. The winds don't seem to have decreased that quickly though, so winds are still an issue in Florida.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:13 PM
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north

yeah, looks like on the 88D that shes slowed and drifted north..probably a temporary wobble but who knows

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:14 PM

I posted this yesterday morning, but I knew we were in trouble in Tampa when Jacksonville cancelled school for Monday. Maybe that's the jinx necessary to keep these hurricanes away?

CentralFlorida
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:14 PM

not alot of our regulars on here today they must be without power... looks like thats whats headed our way here in florida

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

yeah, looks like on the 88D that shes slowed and drifted north..probably a temporary wobble but who knows

Jerve on TV here still insisting on a west movement, but I could swear I see the beginning of a significant northward shift.

MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:16 PM

yeah, I haven't heard from richisurf since he PM'd me last night, so I have been wondering about him as well.
Phil, have you heard from him?

CentralFlorida
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:19 PM

I believe last night he lost power but he was ok....think it was posted late last night

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:20 PM

Mr Spock:

Absolutely, doppler estimates tend to under estimate rainfall with tropical systems...that's why it's disconcerting to see this much rain already with it probably being under reported. The hydrologic conditions are already at extreme high levels, now we're adding possibly 8-12 in of rain on top of that..Lakeland looks to have some serious flooding..I'm thinking winds wil slowly wind down (now 85 sustained) to tropical storm force within the next 4-6 hours.

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:21 PM

While I think this is just a wobble, I have to agree the North shift is taking it's time to go back Westward.

That last "band" that came over here actually decreased our winds. More rain, but the wind actually stopped several times and is still diminished.

LadyStorm
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:21 PM

Is it possible that it is just another ERC and not a turn to the north?

Quote:

Quote:

Jerve on TV here still insisting on a west movement, but I could swear I see the beginning of a significant northward shift.

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:22 PM
Change Of Course?

Channel 2 News Met (Mike O'Lenick, I think) are now reporting that Jeanne has turned North and that will mean a much longer duration of severe weather here in the Orlando area. He drew a line on the radar map showing a "new projected" path up the center of the peninsula. I don't know if this is an official change or are the TV mets doing their own thing again???
As for the weather here in Casselberry (Seminole County)...things remain very bad. The rain has gotten even heavier in the past 30 minutes. I stood on my front porch for a few minutes (tryingto get a few pictures ). The wind was so strong that I could not hold the front door closed....I could feel the metal handle "giving way" under the gusts. Needless to say, I ran inside very quickly and slapped the deadbolt back on.
Looks like this could last for much of the day.

--Lou

OrlandoDan
(Weather Master)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:23 PM
Re: Change Of Course?

It definitely looks like a jog north:

http://www.28news.com/images/weather/radar.jpg

MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:26 PM

Thanks, I must have missed that as I just skimmed all the posts. I remember reading wxrichie had contacted Phil I think also.
I am a little surprised the winds are still as high as they are considering it has been over land for 12 hours. The outflow is still very impressive, which must be slowing the weakening, as it is still evacuating the air spiraling in to the center.
One discussion I read this morning (I think it was the QPF disc.) mentioned that the heavy rain threat was shifting to the north of the center, and in a couple of days, to the north and west of the center due to strong upslope inflow. With the frontal boundary acting as a focusing mechanism in a couple of days, this should remain a very efficient rain (flood) producer even after the winds subside.

I might add a little bit of hindcasting here. The storm moved farther west than the model guidance as a whole, as it has with the last few. The ETA is not one forecasters look at for tropical systems, as it does a poor job, so I am excluding that one. I think the monsters are the ones that give these models fits.

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:28 PM

Three weeks ago at this time I remember hearing all the transformers blowing up in the neighborhood. I haven't heard a single one yet now.

Actually a blessing for us to have Frances clear the weak stuff out.

Ocala: Here's a link you might could use: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KOCF.html

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:28 PM

whens a good approxment time for when this thing is gonna be done for the winter springs oviedo aera

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

While I think this is just a wobble, I have to agree the North shift is taking it's time to go back Westward.

That last "band" that came over here actually decreased our winds. More rain, but the wind actually stopped several times and is still diminished.

Yes, same thing here in NW Tampa, Oldsmar area. Lots of rain, but winds have subsided a little, and power is obviously still on.

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:32 PM

based on spc, i read they picked up on pressures drops north of tampa to north of cedar key, meaning a break in the ridge which would allow a north turn.... so we should begin to see a north turn soon, storm is about 30 miles se of tampa..... she should exit in gom north of tampa for a short period today, and then pick up in forward speed tonight. that "turn they are talking about seems it is a wobble".... i still see a wnw movement.... also i see alot of dry air on south side of storm.
*****oh yeah some news! chief Met. Jason Kelley wjhg 7 panama city ....just had another girl a few hrs ago! Very healthly heavy 7lb girl!!!! All is doing well.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:34 PM

Looks like recent radar returns are moving it back to the west-northwest..may be temporary jog north or it may signal a more northwest movement rather than west-northwest. I doubt it will move due north up the state..still looks to exit into GOM somewhere from Tarpon Springs to Crystal River

Ronn
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:34 PM

Winds are now gusting to 60-65mph here in Pinellas County. My roof-mounted anemometer just recorded a gust to 46mph, and it is located in a very protected location. Actual wind gusts are much higher. I am just about to leave for the coastline to quantify some wind speeds. The current pressure at my house is 29.21in and falling.

Ronn

MrSpock
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:35 PM

great news for Jason, congrats, I and hope they are all doing well, especially with the chaotic weather around.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:38 PM

Congrats to Jason from another PC poster\lurker. Hmmm....think they'll name her Jeanne??

belleami
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:39 PM
baby girl...!

Good on ya, Jason! Congratulations!

Ocala
(Weather Watcher)

Quote:

Three weeks ago at this time I remember hearing all the transformers blowing up in the neighborhood. I haven't heard a single one yet now.

Actually a blessing for us to have Frances clear the weak stuff out.

Ocala: Here's a link you might could use: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KOCF.html

Rule - What part of Ocala? I'm out Ft. King between Baseline and 36th

Terry Johnson
(Verified CFHC User)

I would agree. That last radar loop that you posted looks more NW than WNW. But lets wait for another 45 minutes to see. Local weather reports sustained 47mph gusts to 60mph in St. Pete. Here in Tarpon, it has been pretty steady for the last 2 hours increasing in intensity. We have some pretty good bands starting to cross us now.

Andy Dorr
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:41 PM
Attachment

Sarasota, Florida, 10:35 AM: Storm continues to look like its tracking west- north west. Eye continues to be in southern Polk County, south east of Lakeland. Weather has stayed constant sine last post. The wind is from the WNW (300 degrees) at 43 MPH (37 KT) gusting to 60 MPH (53 KT). Pressure is holding at 988 mb. It is 77 degrees and holding. Rain is harder, about a ¼” in the last hour. We estimate gusts near 70 mph in our neighborhood. A neighbor’s tree just fell and we heard a transformer go in the last few minutes. We are located about 7 miles south of the Manatee County line and Sarasota-Bradenton Airport. We are 2 blocks from the bay.

StormKrone
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:43 PM

Here in Crawfordville (south of Tallahassee about half way to the coast) the wind is picking up. Also, local (metro) radar is beginning to pick up the outer bands of Jeanne. The sun is still trying to break through and mostly we are dry. Also cool, can't complain about cool (78 degrees).

Data as of: 10:36 AM 9/26/2004
Current Conditions
Temperature: 78.0°F Pressure: 29.74"
Average Wind: 12mph NNE Sunrise: 7:28 AM
Humidity: 72% Sunset: 7:27 PM
Dew Point: 69°F Moonphase: -91
Heat Index: 82°F Monthly Rain: 4.52"

So Far Today
High: 78°F Rain: 0.00" Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Low: 72 °F Gusts: 28mph NNE

clyde w.
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:46 PM

Total rainfall from Jeanne at OIA is approaching 6 inches. I think the Doppler estimates are pretty close to accurate in this case.

Here in East Orange County, we've ben hit a lot harder than with Frances. Local media is reporting power poles snapped on Alafaya, and an apartment complex near me lost its roof on a couple of buildings.

Been up since 4:00--worst hit around 7:00 this morning, with gusts to around 80mph. However, it is still gusting to over 60mph now. One thing I noticed about Jeanne is that she is not constant with her winds. The overall wind is lower but it comes with very strong gusts. Charley brought higher winds, Frances didn't have as high gusts. Jeanne would have to rank in between the two here--neighbor lost her fence here about an hour ago. It had made it through both Charley and Jeanne.

Hurricaned
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:51 PM
Orlando status?

What is the situation in Orlando? I live near Waterford Lakes. Information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

clyde w.
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:54 PM
Ouch!

Oh, failed to mention that we have a "storm-related" injury at the house as well. My 3-year-old daughter was running to the front door to "se the bad storm" when she tripped and cut her knee pretty badly. We've taped her up, although she might have needed stitches. Not gonna take her out in this mess. She'll be fine--I hope the same goes for the rest of the CFHC family going through this. Thinking of WXRichie, Colleen, and Ed at this point, as well as countless others that were in the path of this storm...

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:58 PM
Re: Orlando status?

The television is showing little damage downtown. Just some trees down.
Here northwest of town, the gusts are really strong. Have no idea how fast, but like a poster said, the winds are gusting stronger than the other two but aren't as fast sustained as the worst of Charlie here. But I got the least amount of winds of anyone in the Orlando area with Charley.

The radar loops certainly look more NNW than anything. An hour ago, it looked like the center would pass south of Lakeland and nail Tampa. The center looks to be about due east of the southern part of lakeland, just north east of Bartow.

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 02:58 PM

Winds picking up again here in NW Tampa (N sustained at 45 G 60 mph) Yes, NHC has picked up on the NW movement (I'm sure much to their relief).
I never meant to suggest that Jeanne was turning north, just more toward the NW. Guess it really doesn't matter because the effects of Jeanne are so large and broad! Watch out for falling large trees.

CentralFlorida
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:01 PM

Winds north of tampa here in port richey is really picking up power flickering. wont be long before in the dark here roof shingles sound like bunnies making love from in the house.

clyde w.
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:02 PM

Hurricaned--I'm still in Eastwood (we PM'd during Frances til the site went down). This was a lot closer to Charley than it was to Frances. It's hard to explain, but the winds have been gustier with Jeanne. I don't think sustained winds have topped 55mph here, but the gusts have been very high (80mph+) and are still gusting very high right now. Orange county is in a mandatory curfew so I haven't ventured out.

In my own range of view, there is minor damage--trees down and the fence across the street blew apart. Media and the county is saying worst damage is along Alafaya Trail, but I don't know specifically where. I do know there has been structural damage to a couple of apartments near here.

Lee's Lakeside in downtown Orlando suffered significant damage. Many of the large windows blew out in the storm.

Will post more when I hear it.

Marknole
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:05 PM

Hi Wakulla. I agree, you can certainly begin to tell that something's up here in TLH. I do some fill-in work @ the State EOC, and predict that my phone will ring any minute.

For the MET's out there, I know that Apalachee Bay SST's are < 80F, but is everyone confident (with a 150 mi. GOM path) that rapid reintensification won't happen? We're hunkered-down (there's that term again!) for 50/G65 max winds, but time's running out to prepare for a Cat. I or II.

Good luck all, especially current areas on the N. Suncoast and Nature Coast.

Terry Johnson
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:05 PM

Power flickering here in Tarpon. I made it through all the others with power, hope it holds true, but this one is much worse. Will continue while the power lasts!!!

eulogia
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:07 PM

Does anyone have news about Sebring?

Jeanine
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:11 PM
Update

Can or does anyone have any information from South Brevard County? (Melbourne).
Thanks Jeanine

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:12 PM

Marknole, it looks as if the NHC hasn't posted hurricane warnings north of Suwanee, so they seem confident that the pass over Apalachee Bay won't give it any go juice.

I'm in Jacksonville, and the local guys here don't seem to be aware of the lower SST in that part of the Gulf. They need to log into here every once in awhile.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:13 PM
Re: Update

If you hear anything about Melbourne, please post. I can't reach my son on Dairy Road, west of downtown. It doesn't look good on the news.

They just said on WFTV that part of US 1 in far southern Brevard was washed away. About 500 yards of roadway.

Marknole
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:15 PM

matlon, lol and thanx. I agree, and after the 1100 discussion, I feel more confident. Time for some more football and less TWC!

collegemom
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:16 PM
Melbourne

Melbourne info please. Last spoke to son at FIT 8:20 pm last night. Can't Cantore do something besides put on goggles and step between 2 buildings?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:17 PM

Matlon the news is going a great job down in Jax. We get the local out of 4 and 12 channels here in Waycross GA. Jax and Daytona are like second homes to us and our thoughts are will all of you. We have had winds here just under 20 mph this morning. It's coming in squalls though. This morning just after six we had heavy rain and wind then a calm for about an hour now the winds are picking up and the sky's are gray but again no rain as of yet. They have not closed schools for our county (ware) as of right now. With Frances we missed two days so the roads could be repaired. Lots of rural roads for the buses. Stay safe everyone.

rule
(Weather Guru)

I'm using the radar loops from Tampa, Jax., and Melborne. I'm beginning to wonder if Jeanne is even going to reach the GOM? Seems to be a lot more N than W lately.

LadyStorm
(Weather Guru)
North Volusia Update

Winds have really picked up here. I am getting my readings for the Daytona Airport. Sustained 41 gusts just shy of 60.

MaryAnn

boxerhouse
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:19 PM

Agree with Jax--they haven't mentioned much about affect should she hit the GOM. I'm in Jax, too, and we're just starting to get a few gusts. Talked to my parents a little while ago in Ocala, and it's starting to pick up there ("not as bad as Frances, yet...")

Ocala
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

I'm using the radar loops from Tampa, Jax., and Melborne. I'm beginning to wonder if Jeanne is even going to reach the GOM? Seems to be a lot more N than W lately.

That's what I see too. Was just going to ask if anyone else was seeing the same thing. Just got another power flicker.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:24 PM

Are my eyes playing tricks on me.
Look at this radar loop
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocal...mp;prodnav=none

It looks like it almost stopped on the last three frames.

There are some damage photos from fort pierce on www.orlandosentinel.com

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:27 PM

We just had our first flicker. I heard a transformer go somewhere.

The wind is almost stopped between gusts, but the gusts are becoming more frequent. Maybe 35mph.

Sure not like the steady wind we got from Frances.

Edit: Just had a solid 40 mph gust...

EditEdit: Just had a good 45 mph to 50mph gust. Lights flickering. I'll probably switch to generator pretty soon...

Ocala
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:29 PM

I heard it too. Weatherbug report from the airport is sustained at 24, gust to 43.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:29 PM

60000 OUC without power
223000 Progress Energy without power
27000 KUA without power (48 percent of all customers)

FireAng85
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:31 PM

Hello everyone! To you guys in East Orlando.... I just rode around in Rescue 85 through StoneyBrook, near Eastwood and there is minimal damage. I think I saw one screen enclosure blowing around and alot of the small trees are laying down. Nothing major. From what I have seen, this part of Orange County is in pretty good shape. I still haven't gotten any sleep. I was the station watch officer so I had to maintain the security of the station and monitor the radio's and phones all night. I am so tired but Jeanne is making such a racket I can't sleep.
OK, I'm going to go close my eyes now........

chuckbat
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:31 PM

In St. Pete this is definetly worse than Frances. More sustained wind. Way more powerful gusts, lost power twice

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:34 PM
Power and Seminole County

Quote:

60000 OUC without power
223000 Progress Energy without power
27000 KUA without power (48 percent of all customers)

Waves crashing against the shoreline of Lake Monroe are threatening to wash away large sections of U.S. Highway 17-92, west of downtown Sanford.

Authorities closed the road between Central Florida Regional Hospital and Interstate 4 after the water began eating away sections of the asphalt.

"I think there is a pretty good possibility of the lane closest to the lake being undermined," said Seminole County Fire Chief Terry Schenk.

About 10 a.m., Schenk clocked sustained winds along the lakefront at 38 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Along much of the area immediately west of the hospital, the water has washed away the ground between the seawall and the roadway. In two places it has already washed away portions of the asphalt.

Scattered power outages are causing some problems in Seminole County. At least 27 intersections have traffic lights that are not operating, mostly because of power outages.

Shelters at Geneva Elementary School in Geneva and Millenium Middle School in Sanford were operating on generators, and a special needs shelter at Layer Elementary School in Winter Springs had no power at all.

In unincorporated Seminole County, power was off at 31 sewage lift stations.

StormKrone
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:36 PM

portion of new Big Bend alert..

" It Is Now Expected To Remain A Tropical Storm For A Longer Time Than Earlier Anticipated. Thus... Tropical Storm Force Winds May Now Spread Across The Interior Of The Florida Panhandle... The Remainder Of Southwest And South Central Georgia... And Extreme Southeast Alabama Tonight Into Monday Morning.

Representative Winds At Some Inland And Coastal Locations At 11 AM EDT Follow.

Nws Tallahassee... 7 Mph With Gusts To 14 Mph. Tallahassee Airport... 17 Mph With Gusts To 24 Mph. Panama City 21 Mph With Gusts To 30 Mph. Valdosta... 24 Mph With Gusts To 32 Mph. Keaton Beach... 17 Mph With Gusts To 22 Mph. Cedar Key... 16 Mph With Gusts To 22 Mph. Buoy 42036... 33 Mph With Gusts To 40 Mph. C Tower (100 Feet High)... 33 Mph With Gusts To 37 Mph."

Gee, I am thrilled.... can't hardly contain my enthusiasm!!!

Terry Johnson
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:36 PM

Jus theard a report that Sebring is on a boil alert. Power to the water plants is gone.

I come from Sebring, OH, founded by the same family, so I do try to keep an eye out.

Getting VERY windy here in Tarpon!!! Windows are shaking and they are rated very high....like 130mph.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:37 PM

With Seminole County saying 31 lift stations are without power, I would recomend everyone boil water.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:39 PM
Re: Melbourne

Palm Bay has a good deal of flooding. Good bit of damage along US1 and especially south. Haven't heard specifics about FIT but it's probably without power. Winds are still rocking over here even thought the radar makes it look like we're all clear.

gailwarning
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

If you hear anything about Melbourne, please post. I can't reach my son on Dairy Road, west of downtown. It doesn't look good on the news.

Check Florida Today web site at:http://www.floridatoday.com/blogs/beaches/
It does not sound too bad

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:41 PM

Here's the blog from Orlando Sentinel about Vero Beach
VERO BEACH - Indian River County was pounded with almost non-stop wind and rain as Hurricane Jeanne came ashore early today, pummeling the area with all-night gusts exceeding 100 mph. Unlike previous storms, the big worry is from the water, not the rain, early assessments showed. Streets across the county were awash in six-to-eight inches of water before noon.

On 17th Street in Vero Beach -- one of the city's main east-west routes -- mattresses, roof shingles and an old rug floated down a four-lane stream. Just a few blocks north on U.S. Highway 1, a downed traffic light floated in the water from a single wire like a bobbin on a fishing-line, rising up and down in the wake of cars driving by. Side streets fed water into the main roads like small rivers emptying into the Gulf of Mexico.

At the aptly-named River Park Place apartments, water rose up past hubcaps of parked cars. In the nearby Rock Ridge neighborhood, water washed across streets and yards and into houses.

It was unclear how bad the situation was on the barrier islands because flooding made it impossible for officials to assess the damage.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:41 PM

Check out the pressure and gusts at disney world:
http://www.aws.com/wxcomm/realtime.asp?sid=LKBNV&units=0

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:44 PM

Good call on Florida Today.
Here's their assessment

Extensive damage to several small aircraft hangars at Melbourne International Airport.

The intersection of Palm Bay Road and Babcock Street was under about 2 feet of water. Power lines were down all along Babcock in Palm Bay.

The roof was missing at the nearby Avis Rent-a-Car.

The scoreboard at Palm Bay High's football stadium had blown over.

The Melbourne Municipal Golf Course was flooded, with debris littering the course.

The entrance to Melbourne Village from West New Haven was blocked by a large downed tree.

A dormitory at Florida Tech had its roofs ripped off.

The golden arches of McDonald's on Hibiscus Street had fallen down.

Woody Burke Drive in Melbourne was flooded, with waters at least 1½ feet high.

The fire department was on the scene of live downed power lines on Eber Boulevard on the border of Palm Bay and Melbourne.

Ed Pierce posted by Florida Today at 10:36 AM 1 comments

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:47 PM

As long as he's not in a mobile home or in a flood-prone area, he's probably fine. Most reports are of power outages and flooding that far inland. Most of the structure damage we're hearing of occurred along US1 along the river.

rule
(Weather Guru)

Things have reached Frances level here, minus the sustained winds. We've had several 45 to 50 mph gusts (estimated). Official measurement about 6 miles west of me saying 45mph.

Power is doing backflips. I don't think it will stay on much longer.

gailwarning
(Weather Watcher)

Quote:

If you hear anything about Melbourne, please post.

Here's a better link to the Florida Today site for those looking for Brevard county info. They update the site frequently and do a fantastic job overall.
Florida Today

Ronn
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:50 PM

I just returned from Indian Rocks Beach, on the western tip of Pinellas County. The wind is gusting to hurricane force! I recorded wind speeds to 75mph while I was out there. The driving sand was very painful. The wind was so strong I could lean back into it and it would hold me up. I also noted some roof damage and many objects blowing across the roadway.

This is far worst than Frances was for Pinellas County. In fact, these are probably the worst conditions in Pinellas County since Elena in 85. Currently, the pressure at my location has dropped to 29.15in. The winds are easily gusting to 65mph inland in Pinellas County. I am surprised I still have power.

Ronn

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:51 PM

Oh man!!! Major gust there. Had to be 60mph.

I'm still seeing via radar loops a very North movement of the eye. I'm giving it time, but it's beginning to look like a world-class wobble if it is one.

LI Phil
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:53 PM
Morning...I think

Just checking in real quick...twas a long night...I have to work off-site for a time today, so I won't have access to the site.

Godspeed & good luck to everyone with Jeanne...watching TWC and the damage is extreme.

To anyone who expressed their support for me last night, I thank you. There was a thread started in Storm Forum on it and I have put my final reply there, should you wish to view it.

I'll be back later this afternoon...everybody be safe!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:54 PM
Re: Hernando Beach conditions - 11:40 am

Pretty severe squalls on the west coast of Hernando County with winds sustained from the north of 41 mph and gusting to 53 mph.. storm total rainfall = 1.18 in, pressure falling fast 29.12 in. No power flicking yet. Little bit of water seeping thru my north facing windows.

OrlandoDan
(Weather Master)
Sun Sep 26 2004 03:55 PM
Re: Morning...I think

This must be a major wobble north, but take a look at the animated Doppler radar link in the center of the following page:

http://www.tampabaylive.com/

gailwarning
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

Yep, looks like we are about to get the first real band here.

Pressure is 29.47 and slowly dropping.

Any info on Pasco county? Zephyrhills in particular is loaded with mobile home communities and I'm concerned.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:03 PM

Just heard from my son in Melbourne.
Lots of trees down along with most street signs.
Roads flooded up to the doors of cars.
Business signs down. Shingles off of roofs.

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:05 PM

There's no way this thing is going offshore. I think the NHC has a 2pm. update. I hope they can shed some light on it.

chuckbat
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:05 PM

down in gulfport, fl. just heard 223,000 without power in pinellas county. this is way worse than frances. surprised i have power too. (knock on wood)

OrlandoDan
(Weather Master)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:07 PM

I am here in southwest Seminole County. Winds are still gusting pretty strong. I lost power for about 5 seconds (the area has underground cables and never lost power through Chalrely and Frances).

My pool is filled which means I got about 5 inches of rain since midnight. I have a couple of medium branes down, but no huge branches or entire trees.

What are the experts take on the recent "jog" of the eye to the north/northwest?

Andy Dorr
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:14 PM
Attachment

Sarasota, Florida, 12:10 PM: We continue to have strong TS winds in Sarasota. They are currently from the WNW (290 degrees) at 46 MPH (40 KT) gusting to 56 MPH (49 KT). The pressure continue to be at 988 mb and has held there for almost 3 hours. Power is now out in our neighborhood. It appears Jeanne is moving NW. We have had almost an inch of rain in the last 3 hours.

AdvAutoBob
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:15 PM
Re: good morning

just getting back on after some much needed sleep, and catching up..

We're still pretty gusty here with wind steady at around 30, with gusts to 45+, pressure still at 29.42, but rising from a low of 29.18. Our NWS radio station is out, but other than that not a lot of damage to report. I lost a few more soffit panels from my house, but they were damaged during Charley already. Also, to Jason..congratulations on your latest arrival.

Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:18 PM
still here

took a nap til 10 - checked the storm, took another nap til now amazingly, we still have power and cable.winds are pretty whippy out there, don't think anything hurricane force yet, but enough to make the house vibrate a few times....

Will keep checking in while I still have power and cable...

Mark

Ronn
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:19 PM

Here is a picture, albeit a low quality one, of me about an hour ago at Indian Rocks Beach in Pinellas County. Winds here are gusting to 75mph.

Ronn

Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:19 PM
that looks like more than a wobble to me....

In fact it's such a hard turn it may make it *back* out into the atlantic before too long if it keeps that recurvature up...

doug
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:23 PM

In Parrish my barometer isrising from 29.30 (everybody's is calibrated diferently) However in Frances mine went to 29.18.Very similar wind and rain conditions as reported in Sarasota...but frequency and intensity is diminishing...Storm is certainly more to the NNW now and it made a pretty sudden shift thatway it was discernible in the conditions here.
4 ft. above normal tides predicted in Bradenton as we speak.

Terry Johnson
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:25 PM

Just watching Jerve and the radar out of Tampa....looks like the eye is almost NNW, but I know things can be deceptive. What are you driving, Ronn, to be able to get around in that wind??? It really blowin here !!!

Ronn
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

In Parrish my barometer is rising from 29.30 (everybody's is calibrated diferently) However in Frances mine went to 29.18.

The barometric pressure here in Seminole appears to have bottomed out at 29.15in, an indication that Jeanne may be at her closest point of approach. In Frances, the pressure dropped to 29.03in. Even so, winds have been much stronger with Jeanne than with Frances.

Ronn

Pressure is now down to 29.12in.

OrlandoDan
(Weather Master)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:30 PM

Still extremely gusty here in southwest Seminole county.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:31 PM

i think that Hurricane Jeanne will move west into the gulf of mexico and loop back to Florida.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:32 PM
Jeanne is now turning northward

Jeanne has now crossed the axis of the 500 mb ridge and is now making it's northward turn; now moving NW and will not make a direct hit on Tampa-St Pete; current track suggests it may not make it to the Gulf of Mexico if turn persists.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:39 PM
radar

can some one please give me the link for the tampa radar

also does any one have accuweathers premium revrive with thir radar serivce was wondering how well the radar thir was b4 i decied to get it or not

Ronn
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:39 PM

Hey Terry. I was driving a Ford Ranger pick-up, not the best vehicle to be in because it catches a lot of wind. It was rocking a bit.

Here are a couple more shots from Indian Rocks Beach. These are low quality, because I am snapping them from some very shaky camcorder footage.

Ronn

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:41 PM
Re: radar

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p19r0/si.ktbw.shtml

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:43 PM

thanks

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:51 PM
Re: Jeanne resuming a more WNW course; maybe W again!

Jeanne at one time was just 10 miles north Sebring and made a pretty dramatic and radical turn; but now is resuming once a gain a 290-300 heading; maybe in the last few minutes 280 towards the coast; now I'm beginning to wonder with what appears to be a very small eye; it might actually make it back out to the GOM! One county to go!

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 04:58 PM

Quote:

can some one please give me the link for the tampa radar

also does any one have accuweathers premium revrive with thir radar serivce was wondering how well the radar thir was b4 i decied to get it or not

Why not save your money and use this free level 3 software

http://www.gibsonridgesoftware.com/grw88level3/

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 26 2004 05:00 PM

That's the link that I posted in the Everything or Nothing area, hey Rolltide.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 05:04 PM

beacuse the claim that i can zoom in on my aera makes me want to spend the money but ill try that link any ways

StormKrone
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 05:32 PM

well... wind gusts are picking up... one just a minute ago rattled the dishes... but only briefly... now it is quiet... barometric pressure is dropping at a more rapid rate though... will be keeping an eye on things....

darn cell phone battery won't charge... gotta admit, the timing is perfect... guess I'll drive into Tallahassee and see if I can get a new one before it gets too bad..

i am surrounded by trees, Trees, and more TREES!! all that shade has a price..

hope Jeanne DOESN'T go into the GOM... it is kind of iffy whether it will go to the east or west of us... OR hit us dead on...

whatever we get, though, won't be near what central Florida has suffered... we lived at Satellite Beach when I was in jr high and high school... MSNBC was just showing pics and commentary on the damage there... I have family near Titusville, as well...

Dee

Andy Dorr
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 05:34 PM

Sarasota, Florida, 1:30 PM: The wind continues to be strong from the WNW (290 degrees) at 51 MPH (44 KT) gusting to 60 MPH (52 KT). The rain is heavier, about ½” in the last 20 min. We are now SSW of the eye about 70 miles. The pressure has risen about 1 mb to 989 mb. We have a strong squall over us now. The local TV is showing lots of minor damage, downed trees, signs etc., but no major stuff in sarasota. I suspect in Parrish and south Hilsbrough counties their is more damage.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 05:38 PM
Re: Hernando Beach Conditions

winds sustained at 45 mph gusting to 53 mph. Pressure falling rapidly at 28.94 in. Total rainfall = 1.78 in
Heavy continuous squally weather - worse than Frances with higher gusts - about 40 shingles have just flown off my neighbors house - smashing against my north wall - soffits and alumimum framing torn from other neighbors home - I'm ready for Jeanne to take a hike - amazingly, only brief power interruption - my neighbors tar paper is flapping in the wind

StormKrone
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 05:51 PM

...JEANNE WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL STORM...

AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z...THE HURRICANE WARNING ALONG THE WEST COAST OF
FLORIDA FROM ENGLEWOOD TO THE SUWANNEE RIVER IS DOWNGRADED TO A
TROPICAL STORM WARNING...AND THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FROM BONITA
BEACH SOUTHWARD IS DISCONTINUED.

AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z...THE HURRICANE WARNING ALONG THE EAST COAST OF
FLORIDA FROM NORTH OF JUPITER INLET TO COCOA BEACH IS
DISCONTINUED...THE HURRICANE WARNING NORTH OF COCOA BEACH TO ST.
AUGUSTINE IS DOWNGRADED TO A TROPICAL STORM WARNING...AND THE
HURRICANE WARNING FOR LAKE OKEECHOBEE IS DISCONTINUED.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT ON THE ATLANTIC COAST
FROM NORTH OF COCOA BEACH TO THE SAVANNAH RIVER...AND ON THE GULF
COAST FROM NORTH OF BONITA BEACH TO DESTIN.

AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM JEANNE WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.3 NORTH... LONGITUDE 82.2 WEST OR ABOUT 20
MILES SOUTHEAST OF BROOKSVILLE FLORIDA.

JEANNE IS NOW MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. A GRADUAL
TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THIS
TRACK THE CENTER OF JEANNE WILL BE MOVING OVER NORTHERN FLORIDA
TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 70 MPH...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. CONTINUED WEAKENING IS FORECAST OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES FROM THE
CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 175 MILES. WITHIN THE PAST HOUR...A WIND GUST TO 76 MPH WAS
REPORTED AT ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...AND A WIND GUST TO 67
MPH WAS REPORTED AT ST. PETERSBURG.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 972 MB...28.70 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS
BATTERING WAVES...WILL GRADUALLY SUBSIDE ALONG THE FLORIDA EAST
COAST.

TIDES OF 2 TO 4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WARNED AREA
ALONG THE FLORIDA WEST COAST....AND HIGHER AT THE HEADS OF BAYS.
TIDES COULD POSSIBLY REACH 3 TO 6 FEET IN AREAS OF ONSHORE FLOW
NORTH OF TAMPA BAY.

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS
...ARE POSSIBLE NEAR THE PATH OF JEANNE.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL AND
NORTHERN FLORIDA PENINSULA AND SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA TODAY.

REPEATING THE 2 PM EDT POSITION...28.3 N... 82.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS... 70
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 972 MB.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
5 PM EDT.

FORECASTER PASCH

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 05:55 PM
Re: West motion thru Pasco County

This storm's got some personality..does anyone else see now she is moving due west across central Pasco toward the GOM..we'll be in the northern eye (if u can call it that) wall in Hernando Beach, oh boy, hope she ain't packing anymore hurricane force winds

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:01 PM

I can't really see much west mvt.... where/what are you looking?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:05 PM

looking at the tampa NWS radar - center is getting hard to pick out..maybe west-northwest..looks to maybe exit into GOM in Hernando County..but the motion could just be a wobble

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:22 PM

It looks to me like it's just east of Brooksville. Movement more NNW maybe.

Local pressure 29.20 still dropping, winds 30 gusts to 50.

Still have power, but I don't see how.

StormKrone
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:25 PM

Sean what's his name on MSNBC keeps saying that Jeanne will exit into the GOM..

had another good gust here and power flickered out... Of course, that could be a problem with DIYers out in the boondocks... not the same as urban construction..

time will tell..

CaynCher
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:36 PM

I've beening reading this site for some time. Keep up the good work it is very informative. I can't seem to get in touch with anyone from Avon Park. Does anyone out there know how much damage was done on State Road 17 Lake Letta area? Thanks

ZooKeeper
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:37 PM

Chiefland/Cedar Key report now shows 35 sustained with gusts pushing 50. First serious rain bands coming through now. We're supposedly going to have the worst of it between 4-6 pm. Current track that I'm seeing is out around Crystal River and back in over Cedar Key...does that sound about right to ya'll? Is the eye still around 40miles? If so that'll put us in Chiefland in it or on the far right edge as it goes by.

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:42 PM

This is just my uninformed opinion, but I could see it going between Williston and Cedar Key, so you're right in the path. Conditions are becoming "Not Fun" here, and I expect them to turn worse yet. I would suggest anyone up in that area to seek shelter.

Edit: I don't think there is an eye anymore.

FelixPuntaGorda
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:43 PM
Punta Gorda checking in

We're still having some strong gusts here in Punta Gorda, with a little rain. Our power went out about 11:30 this morning, so I'm on generator now. Not much damage outside that I can see from the front porch. It's still too windy to go outside safely. The downtown area is flooded, with waves breaking over the seawall, but that's pretty normal.

Please be safe -- don't take risks outside!

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:46 PM

I can't imagine what you folks have gone through and are going through in Florida right now. I do know that the GA coast is feeling some effects from Jean already. The wind gusts are to about 40 mph where I am on the Ogeechee River, which is 20 minutes by boat to the Atlantic. The tide is going out, and it's still covered with white caps. There is not much land between me and the ocean, mostly marsh. I went down to the floating dock earlier and a gust almost pushed me in the river. I don't think I'll be doing that again! Basically, I'm just sitting here waiting for what's left of Jeanne to come pay me a little visit later tonight or tomorrow.

Ronn
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 06:46 PM
Re: Hernando Beach Conditions

We have a nasty squall training over central and southern Pinellas County right now. Winds are easily gusting to 60mph and the rain is heavy and driving horizontally. There are lots of tree limbs down and some mailboxes have been pushed over. The winds have shifted NW and the pressure is still at its low for this event: 29.12in.

Ronn

robynsmom
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 07:00 PM

I live in southeastern Hernando Co. Having trouble getting info from the local weather stations. They are obsessed with Clearwater and St. Pete. They basically quit reporting on the eye of the storm after it was N of Polk and Hils. county.
I do see what you are saying about an exit to GOM. I'm thinking that too.

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 07:11 PM

Pressure still dropping. 29.10
3 inches of rain.
Winds 30 - gusts to 45.
Wind is starting to shift to the east.

Nothing but a few small limbs down yet.

OrlandoDan
(Weather Master)
Sun Sep 26 2004 07:15 PM

Reporting from southwest Seminole County. I cannot believe we are still experiencing winds like we are. They are now coming more out of the south. It seems like we are stuck in the zone of a band that just keeps wrapping around the eye and we are always in the same position of this band. the rain seems to have let up some, however.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 08:08 PM

not to far from you in wintersrpings and i agree

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 08:26 PM
Seminole County

Conditions in Seminole County have really eased off for now. Radar shows we're in a dry slot between rainbands...so I expect conditions will worsen again in a bit.

With the lull, I went outside around my house to assess the situation. I went through Charley and Frances with no visible roof damage (I did have 2 leaks from "invisible" damage). This time, things are much worse. The first thing I noticed outside were my roof shingles lying all over the lawn. I now have some serious roof damage that will require ANOTHER insurance claim. Since I already lost my entire backyard fence to Charley, I expected there would be no more damage there. Sigh....... There is a creek running behind my property which is normally a tiny trickle. This thing is now a raging river over 20 feet wide. The water has eroded the bank (where my fence USED to sit) and the land has now tilted away from my swimming pool into the creekbed, leaving a large crevice between my pool deck and the unstable land behind. I have NO idea how that can be fixed. It looks like a slab of land roughly five feet wide running the length of my property will be falling off into the water, leaving the side wall of my pool exposed.
One of the few remaining trees in the backyard came down this morning and landed on my neighbor's fence

All in all, not a good looking situation...a lot of damage, but thankfully no one is hurt. As in the previous 2 hurricanes, I did not lose power (like Orlandodan, my lines are buried and it takes a lot to knock out my electricity)..so I do have some things to be thankful for.
Please let this hurricane season be over!

--Lou

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 08:27 PM

Is it my eyes, or is Jeanne starting to make a more northern turn? It's probably just my eyes.

StormHound
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 08:45 PM
Re: Seminole County

Quote:

Conditions in Seminole County have really eased off for now. Radar shows we're in a dry slot between rainbands...so I expect conditions will worsen again in a bit.

With the lull, I went outside around my house to assess the situation. I went through Charley and Frances with no visible roof damage (I did have 2 leaks from "invisible" damage). This time, things are much worse. The first thing I noticed outside were my roof shingles lying all over the lawn. I now have some serious roof damage that will require ANOTHER insurance claim. Since I already lost my entire backyard fence to Charley, I expected there would be no more damage there. Sigh....... There is a creek running behind my property which is normally a tiny trickle. This thing is now a raging river over 20 feet wide. The water has eroded the bank (where my fence USED to sit) and the land has now tilted away from my swimming pool into the creekbed, leaving a large crevice between my pool deck and the unstable land behind. I have NO idea how that can be fixed. It looks like a slab of land roughly five feet wide running the length of my property will be falling off into the water, leaving the side wall of my pool exposed.
One of the few remaining trees in the backyard came down this morning and landed on my neighbor's fence

All in all, not a good looking situation...a lot of damage, but thankfully no one is hurt. As in the previous 2 hurricanes, I did not lose power (like Orlandodan, my lines are buried and it takes a lot to knock out my electricity)..so I do have some things to be thankful for.
Please let this hurricane season be over!

--Lou

It should be easy enough to get someone to fill and grade the yard when the flooding subsides. Perhaps they could do something to help prevent a future occurance. I'm afraid it won't be cheap, but a lot less than a new house. I wonder whether that would be an insurance covered expense?

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 08:55 PM

Quote:

All in all, not a good looking situation...a lot of damage, but thankfully no one is hurt. --Lou

Good Lord! I'm so sorry, Lou. Thank God you and your family are okay. I heard on the news that it may take up to a month to get all the power restored in FL. I know that GA has workers that will be on the way to help FL get the juice flowing again as soon as the storm is over.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 09:01 PM

I agree, the last loop sure looks like what's left of the eye is going more north and closer to orlando

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 09:11 PM

Lost power at 4pm. Now on generator power. For good karma I ran a line into my neighbor's house. At least they can run the refirgerator and a light off it.

Winds 25, gusting to 45. Pressure down to 28.96! Still dropping evidently.

Stay safe all.

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 09:15 PM

One thing is for sure. Jeanne is not headed into the GOM.
http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_05/anis.html

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 09:25 PM

I had some simular damage from Charlie - not to the extent you have. But, my cement pool deck pulled away from my pool. My insurance company said "ground water damage is not covered" apparently only those homeowners with a policy tthat includes flood insurance was covered. Or course that is just my insurance company, hopefully you will be more fortunate. I repaired my damage for about $600 (I did the work myself.) Looks like the wind is finally starting to die down a little here over by UCF, what a long day.....

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 09:39 PM
Lakeland update

Thing are not good in Lakeland, 60% + without power as near as I can tell. Many old growth trees down, many roads are blocked. The infrastructure around town seems to be holding up with the exception of traffic lights...about 55% + off and 15% down or destroyed. I-4 is almost empty, so if you can make it there you can make it anywhere....

Rich B
(British Meteorologist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 09:42 PM

Hey guys,
too busy to post much, but looks like Jeanne has been yet another monster storm for Florida. My wishes go out to all of you who have been and may yet be afected by this one. Keep safe!

Kind regards

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Sep 26 2004 09:59 PM
Re: Any news of the Windermere Butler Chain and flooding?

I live on the east side of Lake Down on a peninsula surrounded by water on 3 sides........and VERY low! My dock's been under since Frances and the deck was 1/3 under as of Thurs afternoon when I left. Anyone have a clue as to the water levels in the lakes? I'm stuck in Dallas praying for no more damages but can't get out till Tues AM! Any info is appreciated. Thanks for this site! You all have been giving me some much needed answers since Frances.

Good luck all!!

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:02 PM

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to stop by and post this link on the size comparsion between Charley Frances and Ivan, there's no
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/coolimages/hurricanes_CFI.jpg
There's no Jeanne but it sure is a cool picture, also just another page to bookmark
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/tropic.html
Excellent in every way for every basin, go check it out!

EDavid
(Registered User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:03 PM

No homeowners insurance company in FL covers flood in a homeowners policy. Let me qualify that (mobile homes) are sometimes covered for flood as they are personal property, not real property. Flood is a separate policy underwritten by NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program, a US GOV prog) and written by a WYO (write your own) ins co. All losses are paid by the Nfip Program. Additionally, ground movement, shrinking swelling, hydrostatic pressure is excluded from both a flood policy and a homeowners policy. In FL, by State statute, sinkholes ARE covered, IF covered property is damaged. Remember, insurance companies cover your dwelling, contents and other structures - not your land. Also certain perils are excluded (earth movement for one). Only possible way to get the pool loss covered is that it is the result of a sinkhole!! To help with this explanation, in states with earthquake exposure, an earthquake(ground movement) policy is available.

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:06 PM
Re: Any news of the Windermere Butler Chain and flooding?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?mlb

Try this link.

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:09 PM
Jeanne the last Landfalling hurricane?

The African Wave train has virtually stopped, the MJO is dieing out and everything is starting to cool down. Maybe this could be our last tropical cyclone!

LI Phil
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:25 PM
Re: Jeanne the last Landfalling hurricane?

Yup! We're done for the season. See you all next year!

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:27 PM

I would love to say that, but the secondary peak in October has yet to occur who knows what that will bring?

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
(Master of Maps)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:33 PM
Lakeland Damage update

We're all alive and well. I'm on "gulp"... dial up. No power, no cable tv, no high speed internet and no fried chicken.

Drove the area. Mostly old growth trees in the streets, on houses and power lines. Guess about 80% of the city is without power.

Drove Colleen's neighborhood (not sure if she checked in). Same type of damage, plus a ton of pool cages on the wrong side of the house.

People don't seem to know about a 4 way stop..

Saving the batteries... more to come.

Storm Cooper
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:37 PM
Re: Lakeland Damage update

Fried chicken.... we never think about the fried chicken....until we can't get it

LI Phil
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:46 PM
Fried Chicken...mmmm

Thanks for the post skeeter...dial up...what's that?

Colleen has not checked in, and while I am concerned, it is probably that she is just without power...and exhaustion. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the "longtimers" who haven't checked in are without power or sleeping...

Skeet, thanks for all your graphics...(and your service to the USA but that's another story altogether); you've enabled thousand upon thousands to deal with the season from hell a little easier!

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

Fried chicken.... we never think about the fried chicken....until we can't get it

You just had to say that, didn't you Skeet and Coop? Now I've got a craving for some mouth watering fried chicken dammit. I wonder if I have time to fry some up before Jeanne knocks out my power here in GA? Oh what the hell, I'm a gambler. I'll give it a shot.

rule
(Weather Guru)
Sun Sep 26 2004 10:49 PM

We've had our highest wind gusts in the last hour. No official readings but certainly pushing 60mph in a few. Rain has about stopped, but the wind continues, now coming out of the SE. Pressure is finally rising from 28.94.

I'm certainly tired of this season. I hope it's over! Two hits in a year and two real scares are quite enough for me.

Be safe all. I'm going to watch football and have a beer and forget about today. I bet that's more than most will be doing in my area.

alan
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:02 PM
Orlando Damage

As the emergency person at our office, I had to go from Apopka to downtown Orlando and back.
Damage is much more widespread than the other two storms, but most of the damage is confined to signs, awnings and the such. There are not as many trees down as Charley, but there seems to be more power out and more lights out than Charley.
Other than that, not that difficult to manuver, as long as everyone remembers the four way stops.

The Dunkin Donuts/baskin robins on Edgewater in College Park is open, along with convenience stores on Forest City Road just south of Maitland Blvd and at the corner of West Lake Brantley and State Road 436. Didn't see any gas stations open.

ZooKeeper
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:07 PM

Cedar Key and Chiefland currently getting pounded. Winds steady in the high 40's with gusts in the 50+ range. Just heard it was currently 30 miles SE of Cedar Key. Lights and satellite have been flickering but still up so far. Getting pretty dim outside too.

belleami
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:08 PM
st. george island in the big bend

Windy - but it has been [almost] constantly windy since Ivan...

Artsy Fartsy
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:13 PM
Checking in from Fernandina Beach

Well guys, Here in Fernandina Beach ( the little island north and east of Jacksonville on your map) The weather has taken a more dramatic turn for the worse. Winds began to really pick up about thirty minutes ago (6:30 pm). Mostly gusts that by the sound of them push maybe fifty mph. The rain has been ongoing since early afternoon, pouring then drizzleing on and off.

Power has yet to even flicker which is a miracle in this town. The power is usually out within minutes of the first cloud showing up.

Anyway I will try to keep you updated if things get more interesting.

Sadie
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:24 PM
From Arcadia

It was a wild ride last night. Lost power about 5:30am when the animal was really bearing down. It was still blowing pretty hard when we fed the horses this morning (life goes on). Lost my balance a couple of times in the wind, but then I'm small. Interesting how we are beginning to compare storms, each 'signature' is so unique. As others have said, this one was very gusty. Made it more of a anxiety rollar coaster. Charlie was just sheer terror. Frances was just really bad weather. Good ol' FPL got my power back on this evening and the wind has finally settled down to a steady breeze. It's so cool outside I turned off the A/C. Three down, how many to go? Sigh.

LI Phil
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:25 PM
Re: Checking in from Fernandina Beach

Hey Jody,

What would ever possess you to use "Artsy Fartsy" for a handle?

Thanks for the update and stay safe!

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:34 PM
Re: It's not over yet?

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2264
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0616 PM CDT SUN SEP 26 2004

AREAS AFFECTED...NRN FL THROUGH SE GA
CONCERNING...TORNADO WATCH 841...

VALID 262316Z - 270115Z ( 716pm EDT - 916pm EDT)
BEST THREAT FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES THROUGH 02Z IS EXPECTED FROM NERN FL NEAR THE JACKSONVILLE AREA NWD INTO PART OF SERN GA.

EARLY THIS EVENING THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM JEANNE WAS LOCATED OVER THE NWRN FL PENINSULA AND CONTINUES TO MOVE IN A GENERAL NNWWD DIRECTION. PERSISTENT ELY LOW LEVEL FLOW HAS RESULTED IN A VERY MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER WITH SURFACE DEWPOINTS IN THE MID 70S ADVECTING ONSHORE ACROSS NE FL AND INTO SE GA CONTRIBUTING TO SLIGHTLY HIGHER INSTABILITY. THE WWD MOVING RAINBANDS IN THE NE QUADRANT OF THE STORM ARE COLOCATED WITH THE BETTER INSTABILITY AND VERY STRONG LOW LEVEL SHEAR WITH 0-1 KM STORM RELATIVE HELICITY IN EXCESS OF 300 M2/S2. CURRENT RADAR DATA SHOW STRONG VELOCITY COUPLETS WITHIN THE MORE DISCRETE CONVECTIVE ELEMENTS MOVING WWD INTO THE JACKSONVILLE AREA. DISCRETE CELLS WITHIN THESE OUTER BANDS WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE THE BEST POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE ISOLATED TORNADOES NEXT FEW HOURS.
BEST THREAT AREA WILL GRADUALLY SHIFT NWD INTO SE GA WITH TIME.

..DIAL.. 09/26/2004

Artsy Fartsy
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:35 PM
Attachment

The Artsy Fartsy name is one I chose based on my profession. I am a graphic artist for a screen print company.

Anyway I have attached a weather bug update of our current condidtions. Although things have gotten a little "drafty-er" since I took the snapshot of the weatherbug.

Getting a little windy around here.

tenavilla
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:35 PM

Quote:

One thing is for sure. Jeanne is not headed into the GOM.
http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_05/anis.html

Local mets in Tampa say (and showed on radar) that it is halfway into the Gulf now, and continuing to move NW.

LI Phil
(User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:47 PM

It's close enough anyway...if the "center" does actually make it into the GOM, it won't be over it for too long...moving NNW if not N, but a lot further west that we were expecting anyway.

I'm declaring hurricane season over on Oct 1...

Anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:50 PM

I'm declaring hurricane season over on Oct 1...

Here Here !!!

Artsy Fartsy
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:50 PM

Just a quick update. If you saw the earlier attachment I posted you can see the definite changes in a matter of ten to twenty minutes.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:53 PM
Just checking in..

Hi all.. Havent been back to my house since I evactuated last night, because there is a curfew here in Osceola County until 6AM. However, my neighbors who also decided to evacuate violated the curfew and reported to me that I lost more of my roof (I only had 50% when I left yesterday) and my porch... Lake Toho seems to be holding her own, but we really wont see the flooding for a couple more days so we shall see.

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Sep 26 2004 11:55 PM

Glad to hear that you are OK. Thanks for all of your great maps! Hope the power is back fast.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:05 AM

I'm in Atlantic Beach, near Jacksonville. We have had sustained winds in the 30's with gusts to 50. A tornado warning just expired and, apparently,one did touch down in St. Augustine. We are still under a tornado watch. There has been considerable beach erosion, and about 80,000 are without power. There are around 2,000 in shelters. Amazingly, I still have power; with Frances I lost it immediately, and it was out for three days.

mud1967
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:07 AM

Will it continue to weaken as it comes toward Tallahassee?
Can it get any pep for the Gulf waters?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:21 AM

It was just reported that a huge tree came down on Fleming Island, and there were two 15-year-old boys trapped beneath it. One of them was killed.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:35 AM

No power in Eustis, Lake County since early this morning. No generator. Winds steady about 40 with higher gusts ALL DAY LONG and still going strong. Have not even been able to tune into a radio station . I ventured out to friends house where there is power and this is the first I am learning about what is going on. Without having to spend tons of time going through can anyone update me briefly. I am in Eustis and want to know what to expect tonight.
Thank You very much. Lauren

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:36 AM
All Quiet ...

All quiet in Ormond Beach. Squalls have died down and we still have power. Went out a couple of times and flickered but it's still on. Didn't venture out today but will have to traverse beachside (OB, DB, etc.) for accounts so should be able to let you know if there's additional damage.

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:48 AM
Seminole County Update

First, I'd like to thank all the wonderful people who have sent me private messages regarding my situation with the hurricane damage I sustained. You guys / gals are the best! I truly feel that I have come to know many of you personally in these past few months, even though we have never met. Thanks again.
As for the situation here in Seminole County:
Well, a couple hours ago, I violated curfew and walked around my neighborhood before it got dark to see how everyone fared. People were out all over the neighborhood, checking up on each other and comparing stories....even though it was raining and the winds were still gusting upwards of 45mph.
This storm seemed to cause much more roof damage than the earlier hurricanes (I can certainly vouch for that with my own roof!). There are MANY
homes that have significant shingle and tar paper loss, resulting in interior water damage.
The tree loss was not as bad as Charley, but about the same as Frances. Luckily, this time, I did not see any trees that had fallen on houses in my neighborhood.

The reports from Sanford are sounding pretty bad. The St Johns River runs through Lake Monroe and, after Frances, the flooding was quite severe....however, a seawall of 7 feet prevented flooding of the downtown area (the flood following Frances crested at around 6.8 ft). Today, however, the lake rapidly rose to 7.5 feet, which means very serious flooding. Highway 17-92, a main highway that actually runs from Tampa to Daytona, has been flooded and the road is washing out.
It will be very interesting tomorrow when I have to go back to work in Sanford.

--Lou

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:50 AM

Lake County forecast ;
. Inland tropical storm wind warning.
Tonight. Mostly cloudy. Strong winds. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms. Heavy rainfall possible. Lows in the mid 70s. South winds 35 to 45 mph with gusts to around 55 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Monday. Mostly cloudy and windy. Numerous showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Southwest winds 25 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Monday night. Partly cloudy and breezy. A slight chance of showers. Lows in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:52 AM

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSONVILLE FL
842 PM EDT SUN SEP 26 2004

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN JACKSONVILLE HAS ISSUED A
* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHEASTERN NASSAU COUNTY IN NORTHEAST FLORIDA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF FERNANDINA BEACH
* UNTIL 915 PM EDT
* AT 840 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
DEVELOPING TORNADO 21 MILES SOUTHEAST OF AMELIA CITY...OR ABOUT 13
MILES EAST OF MAYPORT...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 60 MPH. THIS WARNING
REPLACES THE PREVIOUS WARNING FOR NORTHERN DUVAL AND NASSAU COUNTIES.
* THE TORNADO IS EXPECTED TO BE NEAR...
AMELIA CITY BY 900 PM EDT
YULEE AND FERNANDINA BEACH BY 905 PM EDT

gailwarning
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 12:55 AM

Does anyone have info about Zephyrhills in Pasco County? There are a ton of mobile home communities there and I'm concerned that some of the many elderly residents may have stayed home.

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:02 AM
Re: Seminole County Update

Here's a link, for those interested, on the serious situation in Sanford:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/9767134.htm

--Lou

Ronn
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:03 AM

We are still gusting to 40mph here in Pinellas County. However, winds are slowly on the decrease and the pressure is now up to 29.44in and rising rapidly. I'll report a total rainfall amount tomorrow. My electronic rain gauge was knocked out, so I'll check the manual one tomorrow morning.

I surveyed some damage around the neighborhood this evening. Several large trees have fallen, one of them right onto the roof of a house. Some power lines are lying in the streets, and there are some roof shingles scattered about. One house lost its garage door. Several mailboxes and a ton of tree branches are also down. All and all, quite an impact that was surprising to many people who were oblivious to the situation until this morning. The damage is what I would expect from wind gusts of 60-70mph.

Ronn

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:08 AM
Re: Television Feeds

These feeds were up last night.
They are courtesy of ShanaTX , as she provided them to the overnight board.
Some may not be active at this time due to power loss.

Tampa

http://www.wfla.com/ live feed
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2004/9/26/56414.html list of radio stations simulcasting Bay News 9
http://www.wfla.com/ list of radio stations simulcasting
http://www.tampabays10.com/ - live feed

Power Info:

http://www.fpl.com/
http://www.progress-energy.com/
http://www.tampaelectric.com/
http://www.ouc.com/

West Palm Beach:
http://www.thewpbfchannel.com/index.html
http://www.wflxfox29.com/
http://wpecnews12.com/
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/wptv/

Fort Myers
http://www.abc-7.com/ -live feed
http://www2.winktv.com/ - info, no live feed
http://www.nbc-2.com/ -live feed

Naples
http://www.wzvntv.com/ - -live feed

Miami
http://www.wfor.com/ -live feed
http://www.nbc6.net/index.html live feed

Tampa
http://www.wfla.com/ info, no live feed
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2004/9/26/56414.html list of radio stations simulcasting Bay News 9

Jacksonville
http://www.wawsfox30.com/ -live feed
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/ info, no live feed, webcams
http://www.news4jax.com/index.html no live feed, has County By County Storm Status

Orlando
http://www.wesh.com/index.html
http://www.wftv.com/index.html -live feed
http://www.local6.com/index.html live feed

'shana

CentralFlorida
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:09 AM

Hey Ronn did you happen to find my sattalite dish that flew off my roof? I think it was headed down your way. Here in Port Richey lots of big trees down roof damage around had a 73mph squall that took a piece of roof off a business here on HWY 19

otter
(Registered User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:10 AM

What about hurricanes that originate in the Gulf like Hilda or Cecelia? Isn't that still a possibility before the season ends? Just trying to learn and hope that you guys, who know so much more, are correct!

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:17 AM

Otter,

I hope you got my 'sarcasm' that we're by no means done with hurricane season....it "lasts" until November 30, although last year 2 tropical storms did develop in DECEMBER, and we had one in April of 2003 as well (Season is June1-Nov30).

We are by no means done with tropical mischief this year, although the "CAPE VERDE" season (those little islands off the coast of africa where long tracking monsters originate) may be almost over, the gulf can become very active now and there is still the potential for many "home brew" type systems, which spin up much closer to the states.

Do not let your guard down, and set your radio dial to CFHC for all your future news!

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:22 AM

Sorry otter didn't mean to confuse anyone. There's still a possibility and a very good one at that too, that we will see more storms. Especially in the GOM (gulf of Mexico) were even ULL's can become hurricanes. I have to change my signature.

otter
(Registered User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:26 AM

Thanks Phil. I'm in McIntosh county, Ga. right above Brunswick. It's funny, all the bands seem to go up as far as Glynn County and then move on west. In the last half hour our barometer has gone up from 29.66 to 29.68. First time it's gone up this weekend. This is a great site. I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:26 AM

Phil, how far out into the GOM did Jeanne go? It looked like she was hugging the coastline to me. But then again, I am half blind. LOL

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:27 AM

HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
843 PM EDT SUN SEP 26 2004

...STORM INFORMATION...
AT 8 PM EDT THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM JEANNE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 29.4 NORTH... LONGITUDE 82.7 WEST OR ABOUT 10 MILES SOUTH OF BRONSON FLORIDA. THIS IS ALSO ABOUT 30 MILES SOUTHWEST OF GAINESVILLE FLORIDA. JEANNE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 13 MPH.

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE TO SLOWLY IMPROVE DURING THE EVENING. PLEASE LIMIT TRAVEL ESPECIALLY NOW THAT IT IS DARK AND ROAD HAZARDS WILL BE
MORE DIFFICULT TO SEE. MANY POWERLINES ARE DOWN AND TREES AND DEBRIS ARE ON THE ROADWAYS. TRAFFIC LIGHTS ARE OUT OR DOWN AND IT IS DANGEROUS TO TRAVEL. REMEMBER TRAFFIC LIGHTS THAT ARE OUT OF ORDER BECOME FOUR WAY STOPS .

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:34 AM

intellicast loop

If you look at the above loop, and if you think the "Low pressure center" (as I do) is the area around the comma where there appears to be an "eye" (the area with no weather), then tha's what' maybe 50-100 miles??? DanielW help me out here...

Don't think that's enough to significantly increase the strength of the storm, but it certainly won't hurt...

However, if you look at the water vapor loop and click the little box at the top "forecast points", it shows the system is still on shore (barely).

Either way, I wouldn't think any additional strengthening will occur as Jeanne now begins her journey northward to flood the entire east coast after applying the knockout on Florida...

THE SEASON FROM HELL!

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:41 AM

Phil, you are correct, as usual. The center/ eye of Jeanne is offshore-west of Levy and Citrus Counties.
I hope that southern band is NOT trying to wrap back around the center!!

FLOOD WARNING
916 PM EDT SUN SEP 26 2004
* FLOOD WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...
HAMILTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN FLORIDA
SUWANNEE COUNTY IN NORTHERN FLORIDA
CAMDEN COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA
CHARLTON COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA
CLINCH COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA
ECHOLS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA
WARE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA

* UNTIL 800 AM EDT MONDAY MORNING

AT 915 PM EDT...WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE BANDS OF VERY HEAVY RAIN MOVING OVER SUWANNEE AND HAMILTON COUNTIES IN NORTHEAST FLORIDA. HEAVY RAINFALL ALSO IS OCCURRING IN CAMDEN...CHARLTON...CLINCH...ECHOLS AND WARE COUNTIES IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA.
RADAR RAINFALL ESTIMATES INDICATE THAT UP TO TWO INCHES OF RAINFALL HAS OCCURRED IN THE PAST HOUR...WITH RAINFALL TOTALS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ALREADY RECEIVED. ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL WILL OCCUR AS BANDS CONTINUE TO SPREAD OVER THIS AREA INTO TONIGHT.

KEEP IN MIND THAT SOME OF THE HEAVIER RAIN WAS FALLING OVER ALREADY SATURATED GROUND...AND ANY ADDITIONAL RAINS WILL FURTHER AGGRAVATE ONGOING FLOODING. STREAMS AND CREEKS ARE RISING TOWARD BANKFULL AND ROADS AND LOW LYING AREAS ARE BEGINNING TO EXPERIENCE FLOODING. IN ADDITION...PORTIONS OF AREA RIVERS ARE NEAR BANKFULL OR REMAIN IN FLOOD.

Folks there are lots of roads washed out, traffic lights missing, roads under water, and other things totally out of whack. Please don't go out unless you absolutely have to. Especially in a car in the dark, with children on board.

Storm Cooper
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:51 AM

OK...let me just ask, do you also see a NW or slight WNW track to this?

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:55 AM
Bad WV Loop link...

Try this

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 01:56 AM

Coop, looked NW to me. Phil, what do you think. About the storm's movement.
I just happened to catch TWC radar withthe grid overlay, and she is definately hugging the beach toward the NW.

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:00 AM

Quote:

OK...let me just ask, do you also see a NW or slight WNW track to this?

Here's what I was looking at. In the beginning of the loop, it seems as though there is something of an eye left, and then things just seem to fall apart, for lack of the proper terminology.
http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_08/anis.html

I see what you mean, Coop. I do see her moving NW.

Storm Cooper
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:03 AM

Thanks ya'll. Trying to follow it with my radar looked a little funny. It does seem to be NW by the WV.

Probably a case of looking a little too long

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:03 AM

Try this link. BIG picture radar loop.
http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/RAD_HUR/animauto.html

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:07 AM

TORNADO WARNING
955 PM EDT SUN SEP 26 2004

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHERN CHARLTON COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF FOLKSTON

* UNTIL 1030 PM EDT

* AT 944 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
DEVELOPING TORNADO NEAR FOLKSTON...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 55 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO RACE
POND.

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:09 AM

I think Coop's just wishcasting her towards PCB, cuz florida hasn't had enough tropical action this season...just tornadoes...

Sorry.

Actually, I'm gonna pack it in shortly (not immediately, but shortly).

Hey coop, have you spoken with JK since the Ivan tornado? That sumbitch probably saved dozens of lives with his quick thinking.

Terri, Coop, DanielW, BillD et. al...you guys all be safe tonight. Coop will take you thru the nite & Daniel will be at his side...you got questions...they got answers...

Once again, thanks to all for your kind words (I can't believe somebody made a LI Phil thread...jeez...I can't mean that much).

It's not one person who make CFHC what it is, IT IS ALL OF YOU, NEWBIES AND LONG TIMERS ALIKE! Can you believe we finished 2nd (behind the NHC no less) as the most popular hurricane info site???? (heh)

We beat The Weather Channel & Accuweather...

Again, I'm not gone, but I'm close to it, so point your questions to Danny & Coop!

Oh...one last point...Dolphins 0 Steelers 3...in the game that never should have been played!

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:09 AM

MUCH better! Thanks, Daniel.

Coop, what's happening in PCB right now?

Storm Cooper
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:15 AM

Not much. Don't know about wave action but I guess it is pretty good. Winds in PC are N @ 21mph w/ gust to 30 and we should see rain shortly as it looks to be entering Gulf Co. now.

mud1967
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:20 AM

Coop,

I live in Tallahassee. My husband thinks the worst is over here! I think that he is just wrong. Isn't it suppose to peak about midnight?

Daytonaman
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:22 AM

Why does this last paragraph of the 5 pm advisory sound like a "Crazy Ivan" reforecast.
IN COMPARISON TO THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY TRACK PREDICTION AT DAYS 4-5...THE OFFICIAL FORECAST TRACK HAS BEEN SLOWED AND SHIFTED A LITTLE SOUTHWARD. THIS IS BECAUSE THE GLOBAL MODEL GUIDANCE IS NOW SUGGESTING THAT JEANNE'S EXTRATROPICAL REMNANT MIGHT NOT ACCELERATE
EAST-NORTHEASTWARD TO THE SOUTH OF THE CANADIAN MARITIMES AS EARLIER INDICATED. IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE THAT THE SYSTEM WILL PARTIALLY CUT OFF FROM THE MAIN WESTERLIES...SLOW SOMEWHAT...AND
START MOVING MORE SOUTHWARD NEAR THE END OF THE FORECAST PERIOD.
Survived a 3rd one in Port Orange...have power (does a backflip)...very little damage around our neighborhood...did see one tree on a duplex and minor street flooding but that is about it around here.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:23 AM

Has JK added to his family yet?
Phil was that the final score? Or the timeouts remaining.
Coop I think you need to turn your fans on outside the house, 'cause she's drifting your way (and mine too!)
Where's Rabbit when you need him?

Storm Cooper
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:24 AM

Me, I would be watchful well past midnight in Tally as you will probably see more wind/rain than PC. Go with your local news and the NWS @ Tally.

mud1967
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:26 AM

daniel,

where can i see this western drift?

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:29 AM

Quote:

Coop,

I live in Tallahassee. My husband thinks the worst is over here! I think that he is just wrong. Isn't it suppose to peak about midnight?

I found this:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/FLZ017.php?warncounty=FLC073&city=Tallahassee

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:30 AM

I saw it on the Weather Channel. With the grid over/underlay.

Storm Cooper
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:33 AM

Word is JK is a daddy That along with what he and the WJHG staff delt with...... vacation time was probably put in for.

lilyv
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:35 AM

Quote:

Word is JK is a daddy That along with what he and the WJHG staff delt with...... vacation time was probably put in for.

That would be wonderful news!

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:38 AM
R WE HAVING FUN YET?

Danny & Coop are both doing yeoman's work here...give them each a moment to breathe...

You guys inland and north of Jeanne are going to be pummelled, yes, but not like our friends to the south...your thoughts and prayers should be directed to them right now. You guys need to be aware that this monster is still capeable of spawning tornadoes and (if over water) waterspouts.

You might lose power and flooding is no doubt a serious issue, but it looks like the witch that was once Jeanne has finally been tamed.

Check your supply kits, if you're far from shore or the storm, make sure all your preps have been undertaken (ie gas/cash/ice, etc).

Otherwise godspeed.

We're all, no matter where one lives, gonna need some serious threapy/down time once this season is over...remember, we are, in one jaded way or another, all in this together...

Ask questions of Coop & Danny yes, but don't ask "will this strike me as a TS in three hours...I live in atlanta..." They don't know and even asking them is asking them to make a life and death (maybe....) decision no one could make.

However, if you want to know if Jeanne is over water...they can answer that.

Peace to you alll!

Back at work tomorrow, so I'll have lots of time to be on line

wxman007
(Meteorologist)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:43 AM
The Little Kelley.....

Virginia (Jenna) Grace Kelley was born this AM at 7:58 CDT.....19 inches long, 7 lbs 12 ozs, 10 fingers and toes...Mom, baby, sisters and dad are all fine...

Should have some pics later tomorrow...if you are in PC or withing viewing range, she makes her debut during our 10PM news tonight....

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:43 AM
Re: R WE HAVING FUN YET?

Well Maybe some of us are! I just discovered the radar link I posted earlier, and again here. Has some real nice links on the top and left side of the page. Check 'em out.
Goodnight Phil, goodnight JohnBoy.
Thanks for the update Coop. And keep them fans blowin.

Jeffmidtown
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:45 AM
Re: The Little Kelley.....

Hey guy,

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:46 AM

Congratulations Jason. I was just about to pull up the station link. Glad to hear everyone's doing great.

Storm Cooper
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:46 AM

Congrats Jason & family! Can't wait to see her.

Terri
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:47 AM

Quote:

Virginia (Jenna) Grace Kelley was born this AM at 7:58 CDT.....19 inches long, 7 lbs 12 ozs, 10 fingers and toes...Mom, baby, sisters and dad are all fine...

Congratulations!

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 02:50 AM

Already PMed him but can't resist a shout:

JK you the man.

We were beginning to think you were slacking off and stuff...I mean, after Ivan, you didn't really have any pressing business or anything...

WOO HOO, CFHC GROWS BY ONE MEMBER BY DEFAULT!

Londovir
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:00 AM

Well, everyone here in our neck of Lakeland is safe and sound, thankfully. A very, very, very rocky run through the early morning pre-dawn hours, then a ridiculously painful romp through the late morning hours. Lost electricity around 8:30am, but (praise God!) power is back up at 7:45pm or so.

Winds were hideously powerful, far worse a hit than Charley or Frances licked on us. Large oak tree in backyard came crashing down onto apartment building immediately to the side of us, and not on us. About 10 huge oaks are down in our complex altogether. Massive oaks wiped out numerous powerlines, and blocked Shepherd Rd. completely towards County Line Road.

Took long drive to check in on grandfather. Every single block sees an ancient oak down, huge trunks ripped out of grounds. Powerlines dangling dangerously nearly everywhere, with some power poles leaning 45 degrees to the side (Shepherd Road, Memorial). Tree down ontop of 2 story house on S. Florida. Lost an entire plaza with Outback, Quiznos, and Beef O'Bradys to possible sinkhole on S. Florida. Roofs damaged at a few schools in area, including new roof put on school that lost entire roof to Charley.

Not surprised that schools are not in session tomorrow, and would doubt they'll be in for Tuesday, given the school damage and massive debris clutter around town that we saw. Almost entire city of Lakeland is without power, and they claim 90% of Polk is offline. I'm personally annoyed that USF in Tampa will be in session tomorrow, and do not believe I am going to class tomorrow evening. (To heck with them, the roads are going to be too dangerous even tomorrow night...)

All in all, we are truly blessed. Once again, the finger of destruction poked everywhere around us, and we dodged it. It got very scary for awhile. I did not get a chance to go out 540 and look in on Colleen's area, but I would say that there's a good chance she's out of power, and the roads are probably dodgy with tons of trees down. Ironically I'm only about 15 miles away from her, and about at the same latitude, just farther over by the county line.

Based on damage swaths in town, I would swear the eye passed right through mid Lakeland. Down on the south side, total tree devastation, about 1 large one down every block with many street signals down or dangling, power out. Get to about mid area (Beacon Rd.) area, and the damage is sparser with power still on. Get about 5 more miles north (around maybe US 92), and train crossing arms are all trashed, trees down on tracks, and damage to businesses everywhere. (Including the beloved Southside Cleaners story with its witty sayings sign - you'd know it if you know Lakeland)

Truly something else. Get time tomorrow and I'll zip up my 4megapixel and do some damage pictures and get them online. If you want to get an idea, hit up on Lakeland Ledger and check the pictures off the main page. It's surreal.

Thanks for being there everyone! It's been a fun ride - let's NOT do this again...

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:07 AM

>>> Thanks for being there everyone! It's been a fun ride - let's NOT do this again...

Earlier I posted that I vote we end the hurricane season on October 1, 2004...anyone agree with me?

RedingtonBeachGuy
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:08 AM
Re: Jeanne and Redington Beach, FL

Jeanne passed through our area without much of a fanfare. Lots and lots of downed trees, some roofs had concrete barrel tile blown off, one in 10 docks is damaged but, besides all that, everything seems fine. Power went out on the beach at about 2:30 and was just restored about 11 pm. Our 8,000 watt generator ran from 3:30 to 11 on 4 gallons of gas - wow.

Winds here were about 65 mph sustained at the height of the storm (after the eye passed north of us) and we saw some gusts about 80 or 90. The dreaded high tide in Madeira Beach at 11:53 am (2.53 above sea level) and northerly winds about 45 mph did not envoke any flooding here - didn't even come over the seawall. We'll see tomorrow how we hold up with flooding with the storm north of us now.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:11 AM
Re: Television Feeds

OK ... updated and added more cities... will keep snorting around. And I'll be prettying it up and putting it on one of my websites...soon I hope!

Florida Info:

Power Info:

http://www.fpl.com/
http://www.progress-energy.com/
http://www.tampaelectric.com/
http://www.ouc.com/

FL TV Stations

West Palm Beach:

http://www.thewpbfchannel.com/index.html
http://www.wflxfox29.com/
http://wpecnews12.com/
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/wptv/

Fort Myers

http://www.abc-7.com/ -live feed
http://www2.winktv.com/ - info, no live feed
http://www.nbc-2.com/ -live feed

Naples

http://www.wzvntv.com/ - -live feed
Miami

http://www.wfor.com/ -live feed
http://www.nbc6.net/index.html live feed
http://www.cbs4.com/ -live feed
Tampa

http://www.wfla.com/ live feed
http://www.tampabays10.com/ - live feed
Jacksonville

http://www.wawsfox30.com/ -live feed
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/ info, no live feed, webcams
http://www.news4jax.com/index.html no live feed, has County By County Storm Status

Orlando

http://www.wesh.com/index.html
http://www.wftv.com/index.html -live feed
http://www.local6.com/index.html live feed

Panama City

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin/weatherIMD3/weather.cgi?user=MBB&alt=hurricane - WMBB info, no live feed

Pensacola / Mobile/ Ft Walton Beach

http://www.wpmi.com/ live feed
http://www.wjtc.com/ info, no live feed
Sarasota

http://www.wwsb.com/ info, no live feed

'shana

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:13 AM

Pretty sure I read 7 lb girl

yippee!

'shana

BillD
(User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:20 AM

I vote for September 1st if we can make it retroactive

As much as I'd like this hell to end, I don't think what we want or wish for is going to make any difference. I am just thankful that I, my family, friends, and everyone here, are still safe. And we now have a new member of the CFHC familiy, congrats Jason!

Bill

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:21 AM
Re: Any flooded septic tank pros here?

Quote:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?mlb

Try this link.

Thank you! It's sorta what I was looking for. Seems like we maybe got 4 - 8 inches of rain?!! I hope that's not enough to get it to the 13 sliding glass doors!!! It WAS halfway there!!

Thanks again!

One more question... if anyone knows... I'm on the path for research for info about pumping septic tanks whose drain fields that are now flooded over. Would pumping them do any good?!! If ya can't flush the toilets, do ya not go home?!! Or get thee to a camping store to get a port a potty?!!!

I hate this!!!

But thanks for any advise at all!!

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:26 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001501-d001600/d001564/d001564.html

http://www.stluciecountyhealth.com/environment/emergency/flooded_septic_systems.htm

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/c819-3w.html

http://www.santarosa-emergency.com/sewage.html

need more?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=flooded+septic+tanks+&btnG=Search

'shana

mbfly
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:28 AM

Noticed your location .You wouldn't happen to know, or know of, a Dr. Maria Soto Aquilar who was a local rheumatologist/allergist in that area (last time I had contact with her) would you ??? I know her house was right on the water, and she has been on my mind this hurricane season.

Also, has anyone heard from Redbird ?? I haven't had time to sit down and read every post............. just wondered if she made it through sane and in one piece ?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:32 AM

Well, I was going to say that you can pump it out. But if the field lines are full of rainwater, they may reverse flow and fill your tank back up.
But seeing how Quickdraw ShanaTX has beat me to the draw use her links for real help. Good luck.
There will always be Someone that forgets and flushes the toilet. Turn the water to the toilets off, carefully. Some of the valves are bad about breaking.
Thanks Again Shana!

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:34 AM

Redbird posted 6:04 pm today:

Quote:

Phil and others on here just want to say that last night was a rude awakening for me.............I thought that 90mph gusts would not sound like they did or that I would be as scared as I was. I had power up until 7a.m. so could have read posts on here.........I think I was too panicky to even think about it.. Power is back and my pad was untouched............but it was a sleepless night.

'shana

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:36 AM

I might not know much about anything but I sure can usually find out who does and where they're hiding that info!

Stay safe y'all...

'shana

edited cause I type and leave out words! lol

kelcot
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:38 AM

(quote) I'm on the path for research for info about pumping septic tanks whose drain fields that are now flooded over. Would pumping them do any good?!! I hate this!!! (quote)

If your tank does overflow, try pouring/spreading enzymes on the sewage. It will help to digest it, and also help with the odor.

Ooops- I deleted the quote marks

RedingtonBeachGuy
(Moderator)

NO!! -- don't pump a tank in a flooded field.. it will just fill up again making the pumping useless and a waste of $$.. Plus, if the tank is emptied in a flooded field, it might float to the surface. Best thing to do is limit use, wait for power to come back on tso the pump will start throwing off waste to the field, and watch for the field to dry up.

mbfly
(Weather Guru)

Thx Shana !

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:41 AM

No worries.

Just be careful and stay safe!

'shana

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:42 AM

The enzyme that comes to mind is Rid-X. At least I think that's the name. Kelly, Shana you got any suggestions.

Don't let Shana fool ya. She makes Walker Texas Ranger, tremble! She's Fast with those keys.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:45 AM

eek. I'm on city water and sewage.

But try looking at septic tank enzymes

And e-opinions Rid-X

'shana

kelcot
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 03:56 AM

Any septic enzyme will do. Just make sure you try to find something that is both aerobic and anaerobic. (works with or without air)
Also, it wouldn't hurt to treat your tank as soon as you get a chance. And then, follow mfgr. instructions for maintaining your tank after that. Enzymes help you to not have to get your tank pumped out as often.

Domino
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:01 AM
Southern Caribbean/North Coast of South America

I am getting interested in the system that just came off the coast of South American into the far south Caribbean. So far just looks like a nice blob of convection with maybe a hent of something starting to spin up. I will be patiently awaiting daylight and a quick scatt pass to see if I should be any more interested. Any thoughts on this?

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:03 AM
Re: Southern Caribbean/North Coast of South America

Yes. One thought....

Everybody turn your fans on high and point them south!

'shana

(small amout of humor hopefully tolerated)

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:04 AM

Duh, I just remembered that ordinary Yeast will work in an emergency. I think you have to put it in a pint or so of warm water for a few minutes before you flush it.
Hey Phil, and Coop I hope this isn't to far OT.

Usefull info but others might think otherwise.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:04 AM

Wow! Thank you EVERYONE!!!

It's not that the tank would normally need pumping, it's that I thought maybe pumping it would offer more "room" for somewhere for the waste to go! I understand the floating problem, though. that makes sense. The rest is magic, to me!

I'm headed to the BoyScout catalog and hopefullt a porto potty will be sufficient. Although....Dallas isn't bad!!

MLW

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:12 AM

Quote:

I'm headed to the BoyScout catalog and hopefullt a porto potty will be sufficient. Although....Dallas isn't bad!!

What does Dallas have to do w/ a Porta Potty???

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:14 AM

I won't answer that one.!

RevUp
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:14 AM

What a difference 24 hours can make! Have to keep a sense of humor through it all. Feeling very fortunate and blessed here in Tampa/Oldsmar area, and ready to keep contributing to hurricane relief efforts. Prayers are with all those who suffered damage (most are probably offline). Stay safe!

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:20 AM

That's pro'bly the safe answer...

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:21 AM

Domino, that's an interesting area of convection. Even more so was the anticyclonic rotation, it appeared to have. It's a thunderstorm complex/ mesolow rotating around the east side of a ULL. The ULL happens to be on the far end of Jeanne's outflow channel.
Does bear watching. Not a bear watch yet.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:26 AM

Is that what they're talking about Marine Weather Discussion

Quote:

GULF OF MEXICO...GRADIENT BETWEEN JEANNE AND HIGH PRES CENTRAL
CONUS IS SUPPORTING 10-15 KT NLY WINDS ELSEWHERE AWAY FROM JEANNE. REMNANT LOW OF JEANNE EXPECTED TO DRAG A TROUGH E ACROSS N GULF WITH THE TROUGH STALLING AND EVENTUALLY DISSIPATING E GULF WATERS THU.

JEANNE PRODUCING SLY WINDS NW CARIBBEAN AND MOST CENTRAL CARIBBEAN. THESE WINDS EXPECTED TO RETURN TO ELY TRADES TUE NIGHT.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:26 AM

Delta isn't booking flights back to MCO till Tuesday AM at the earliest. I guess staying here at least that long is the easy answer... don't have to worry about getting a porta potty if I'm not home to need to use it!! (Like 2 days is gonna fix the flood! HA!)

:\

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:28 AM

Ahhh... so you're stuck in Dallas? Go to the State Fair. The weather should be good.

'shana

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:32 AM

Kind of off topic, but apparantly Mount St. Helens is showing signs of activity again?

http://www.pnsn.org/NEWS/PRESS_RELEASES/MSH_09_2004.html

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:34 AM

I might! Ivan tried to play havoc with the fair but lost out!
Just trying not to get overwhelmed with anxieties.... the unknown is haunting!

:\

kelcot
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:35 AM

sorry to keep this off topic, but a quick question.......... isn't there a connection between earthquakes/volcanic explosions and tidal waves?

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:40 AM

I bet! But here's a secret... when the East Coast gets a hurricane, the big circulation brings cooler air down the middle of Texas. Shhh. Should be partly cloudy and mid 80's tomorrow.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:41 AM
re: multi issue OT post

Well.. if the earthquake or volcano is underwater or near water it causes the water to ripple and then can cause Tsunami

Look here

Re: Mount St. Helens ... EEK! Wonder if the locals know yet??? Guess they do St. Helens Activity May Signal Explosion

edited to use correct wordage and edited to add more linkage

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:45 AM

They are called a Tsunami. Pronounced soo-Nah-mi

Shana-this makes three.

kelcot
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 04:57 AM

Quote:

They are called a Tsunami. Pronounced soo-Nah-m

I'm a blonde Polock that can't spell. Sorry, guys.

But, thanks! I thought they were in direct relation to eachother.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:00 AM

Guess I'm on a roll

Kelly.. no worries... I cheated and fixed my post after someone corrected us.

kelcot
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:01 AM

One more question..........
The other day, there was a rather large something or other hanging out right behind Lisa. Is it still there? (I don't have java, have a hard time getting it to install correctly, so I can't access all of the sat links that ya'll can)

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:02 AM

Non scientific answer ...Lisa ate it. Or it ate Lisa and the NHC still called it Lisa. Can't remember which...

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:09 AM
Re: Java

Kelcot, I believe you are refering to "The depression formally known as TD10". It was absorbed/ merged/ vacumned up by then Hurricane Lisa, and is no longer in existance.
In reference to your Java. I think you and Shana don't need any more caffiene.
Actually ( Knock on wood ) there isn't anything outstanding in the Atlantic Basin.
The remains of Ivan part deuce, and Tropical Storm Jeanne are all I see on the quick WV shot.
Been a while since there were 2 tropical systems over the South at one time. Hope It Doesn't Happen Again!!
Shana beat me to it again, except in other words.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:15 AM

Snicker. Been 14+ hours since i've had any Java. Good thing for you huh? Feel tag teamed? LOL.

It's really nice to see nothing looming over us out in the ocean. You know, earlier this year I read an article online (and need to find it) and it was talking about how the really dry winters/springs in Florida resulted in bad hurricanes later that year in FL. Well, not the dryness itself, but the conditions that lead to the dryness.

What pops out in my mind is that they meantioned this year being 3rd dryest, with the two ahead being 1935 and 1992. I really need to find that article!

'shana

kelcot
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:18 AM

Thank you both for the info......
I have to go to sleep now. I can't see straight anymore..........
Maybe they'll be sweet dreams since you see no activity in the Basin.
I'll let ya'll know how the family members in Vero are as soon as I know. I'll also post pictures of the damage as soon as I get them.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:23 AM

Good news.
FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON TROPICAL
STORM JEANNE...LOCATED ABOUT 35 MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF GAINESVILLE
FLORIDA...AND ON TROPICAL STORM LISA...LOCATED ABOUT 1045 MILES
EAST-NORTHEAST OF THE LESSER ANTILLES.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH
TUESDAY.

FORECASTER STEWART

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Sep 27 2004 05:25 AM

Yippee!

And I'd be interested in seeing the photos...

Guess I'll crash too.. big day at the dentist tomorrow...

Stay safe ya'll!

'shana

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 06:05 AM
Re: Jeanne Radar

For those of you that are Still wondering where Jeanne is going.
As of 2:10AM EDT, The western edge of Jeanne has crossed into Bay, Washington and Jackson Counties in the FL Panhandle.
By rough calculation, the western edge has moved westward about 22 miles in 2:20. Or about 10mph.
The northern edge of Jeanne has moved in to Dooly, Pulaski, and Dodge Counties in GA. The northern edge moved northward around 18 miles in the same time frame.

This link may help you out. It's the Nexrad at Panama City/ Eglin AFB, FL. Just loop the 0.5 BASE REFLECTIVITY product.
*warning it's very wide**
http://weather.cod.edu/analysis/paulradar.pl?EVX

Bev
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 06:56 AM

Quote:

Been a while since there were 2 tropical systems over the South at one time. Hope It Doesn't Happen Again!!
Shana beat me to it again, except in other words.

Actually it's been a while since there WEREN'T two tropical systems over the South at one time. Seems like a new one every single weekend.

Hi to all out there. Bradenton made it through. We came within a few short feet of having water in our downstairs, the surge was awesomely frightening. Whitecaps in the mangroves across the street and then into the street, and there it stopped... just a flat 30 feet from the front door. The debris line is thick in the road and consists of mostly garbage rather than natural debris. Who knew there were so many beer bottles on the bottom of the bay? Anyway, it's quite clean now. We lost the gutters and some of the front soffit, but we were blessed with little damage.

Only 50k people without electric tonight in Manatee Co. Better than expected. A few missing roofs, lots of shattered signs, Palma Sola Bay area homes, a few with water in the downstairs. Other than that all seems mostly well. The econo lodge on Anna Maria lost her roof. Tourists okay tho.

I'm still here!
-Bev

>> Hurricane Magnet <<

Bev
(Weather Guru)
Mon Sep 27 2004 07:04 AM

Congratulations Jason! And thanks for all your wonderful contributions to the board! I for one, value your opinion and enjoy your good explanations.

Thanks and great big congrats!!!
-Bev

>>Hurricane Magnet<<

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 07:24 AM
Re: Systems

Bev, glad to hear it stopped short of the house.
The reference to the two systems at once, was to the remains of Ivan part deuce, and TS Jeanne, both being captured on the same satellite shot, over the Southern U.S.
We had 4 systems on a satellite shot, more than once last week. Bu thankfully they were over water at that time.

From the latest Atlantic Tropical Weather Discussion.
TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION...COR
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
205 AM EDT MON 27 SEP 2004
*TROPICAL STORM JEANNE CENTER AT 27/0600 UTC NEAR 30.1N 83.3W OR ABOUT 50 MILES SOUTH OF VALDOSTA GEORGIA. IT IS MOVING NORTH 12 KT. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WIND SPEED HAS DECREASED TO 45 KT WITH GUSTS TO 60 KT. ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 978 MB.
TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 175 MILES FROM THE CENTER.
SCATTERED MODERATE TO ISOLATED STRONG SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS FROM THE FLORIDA/ GEORGIA BORDER FROM 30N TO 33N BETWEEN 81W AND 84W. LOW TO BROKEN CLOUDS WAY AT THE PERIPHERY OF JEANNE COVER THE GULF WATERS FROM 24N TO 30N BETWEEN 78W IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN AND 91W

*TROPICAL WAVE ALONG 36W/37W SOUTH OF 20N MOVING MOVING WEST 10-15 KT. A WEAK 1010 MB LOW PRESSURE CENTER IS NEAR 15N ALONG THE WAVE. IT IS MOVING TOWARD T.S. LISA.
*THE GULF OF MEXICO...
MIDDLE TO UPPER LEVEL CYCLONIC CIRCULATION CENTER IN WEST TEXAS/SOUTHERN NEW MEXICO. CYCLONIC FLOW WITH THIS CENTER COVERS NORTHERN MEXICO NORTH OF 25N108W 26N103W 28N100W. BROAD UPPER LEVEL ANTICYCLONIC FLOW COVERS THE REST OF MEXICO AND THE GULF WATERS WEST OF 90W. MIDDLE LEVEL TROUGH...EMBEDDED IN MIDDLE TO UPPER LEVEL DRY AIR...COVERS MUCH OF THE REST OF THE GULF WATERS EAST OF 90W...EXCEPT FOR THE EXTREME NORTHEASTERN CORNER OF THE GULF...STILL WITH THE UPPER LEVEL ANTICYCLONIC OUTFLOW FROM T.S. JEANNE. SURFACE TROUGH...POSSIBLY DISSIPATING WITH TIME...IN SOUTHWESTERN CORNER. ISOLATED MODERATE SHOWERS HAD BEEN NEAR THIS TROUGH...DISSIPATING WITH TIME.

ZooKeeper
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Sep 27 2004 09:25 AM
Re: Checking in

Checking in from the Cedar Key/Chiefland area, we're still in the process of clearing out the south side of Jeanne. Intermittant rain with steady winds and decent gusts. Been extremely luck in our area and never lost power. Had a couple of quiet hours until about 3am when the south side started kicking in and it's been ongoing since. Hope this clears though fast...my husband has to rise and shine in about 40 minutes and fight it to work...got some cows that need tending to.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 27 2004 09:37 AM
Re: Jeanne Update

TROPICAL STORM JEANNE ADVISORY NUMBER 55
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 AM EDT MON SEP 27 2004

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING EXTENDED NORTHWARD...

AT 5 AM EDT...0900Z...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING ON THE ATLANTIC COAST IS DISCONTINUED SOUTH OF FLAGLER BEACH FLORIDA...AND EXTENDED NORTHWARD TO SOUTH SANTEE RIVER SOUTH CAROLINA. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM FLAGLER BEACH TO SOUTH SANTEE RIVER.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT ON THE GULF COAST FROM ANCLOTE KEY TO APALACHICOLA FLORIDA.

AT 5 AM EDT...0900Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM JEANNE WAS LOCATED OVER NORTH CENTRAL FLORIDA NEAR LATITUDE 30.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 83.6 WEST OR ABOUT 40 MILES...EAST OF TALLAHASSEE.

JEANNE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH. A TURN TO THE NORTH-NORTHEAST IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. JEANNE IS EXPECTED TO WEAKEN TO A TROPICAL DEPRESSION BY LATE TODAY.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 200 MILES FROM THE CENTER...MAINLY OVER THE WATERS OF THE GULF OF MEXICO AND THE ATLANTIC OCEAN.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center