MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sun Jul 24 2005 07:48 AM
Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out

Tropical Storm Gert formed yesterday afternoon in the Bay of Campeche, and it is poised to make landfall along the Mexican coastline, a fair bit south of where Emily came ashore last week.

Tropical storm Warnings are up along that part of the Mexican coastline.

Franklin is moving out to sea sill, with still only the BAMM model suggesting anything else. (The Bamm hasn't verified at all yet)

More to come later...

Event Related Links
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar Loop
StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports

Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Tropical Storm Franklin
Floater Vis/IR Loop of Franklin with Storm Path Overlay
Animated Model Plot of Franklin
Model Plot of Franklin (Graphic from the South Florida Water Management District)
Franklin Spaghetti Model from boatus
Weather Underground Model Plots for Franklin

Tropical Storm Gert
Floater Vis/IR Loop of Gert with Storm Path Overlay
Animated Model Plot of Gert
Model Plot of Gert (Graphic from the South Florida Water Management District)
Weather Underground Model Plots for Gert

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:07 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Gert forms in the Bay of Campeche, Franklin Moves Out

What a time for a server to go down! Getting this from NHC:

Quote:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:43 AM

ATTEMPTS TO COORDINATE WITH THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO AN EXTENSION OF
THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING NORTHWARD WERE NOT SUCCESSFUL...BUT
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE FROM PALMA SOLA TO LA PESCA.

Love that Mexican Gov't...... Anyway Franklin is or should be dropping in strength, since the low level center is now exposed this morning, alot of shear...Gert may pick up a little this morning but is very close to land, so not expecting too much.

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:00 AM

Well it looks on satellite signature like Franklin "fell" for Gert and it tore him to pieces when she rejected him. He has exposed his soul to the world. I imagine he will have to get into hot water to revive his interest in life and the pursuit of Florida pleasures.

leetdan
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:38 AM

Quote:

Well it looks on satellite signature like Franklin "fell" for Gert

Bahaha....

The visible loop on Franklin is pretty cool to look at, it's as if the middle and upper layers of the storm have been peeled back to the south to let us all look at the low-level circulation below.

HanKFranK
(User)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:39 AM
franklin going away, gert going south

franklin is getting sheared more severely today...still moving east (or northeast). if it decouples the northern end will remain franklin... as far east as it's gone it isn't coming back. the mid-layer vorticity hasn't 'come loose' but should over the next couple of days.. maybe the low level center will jerk around and do a couple of stunts near bermuda as it tries to come with it. i've had franklin wrong thus far; maybe i'll get something related but strange right here...
area further west has my interest. a weak area of low pressure and mid-layer vorticity is on the trailing flank of franklin east of florida.. some convergence in the area as well as the settling mid-layer trough near the east coast is helping force it. with the vortmax present and whatever energy peels back from franklin... a new center may develop near the northern bahamas over the next couple of days. that may be how this thing finally evolves... it wouldn't be franklin in any case if this takes place.
gert jumped north the other night.. maybe it'll come in closer to texas than it was progged to last night, but unless the center tightens rapidly and gets swept nnw in the deep layer flow, it's going to nudge inland before it can make a strengthening run up the coast towards texas. nhc track looks good, maybe a little south.. maybe slightly too weak. the mid-level moisture from gert will be moving up into texas over the next few.
strong wave near 50w is still choking in dry saharan air.. with the low near 12n still diffuse and without convection. still a chance it blows some as it nears the islands... the large area of turning will slowly continue to spin down otherwise.
follow on waves are low amplitude and will only perk up in response to ridging aloft.. of which there's a little closer to the caribbean.
HF 1539z24july

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:58 AM
Re: franklin going away, gert going south

The last available water vapor loop shows a piece of convection right off the E. coast of Florida. It will probably be our central Florida rain that is a 60% chance of today, however, Gert certainly did not turn out to be the monster her name conjured up. So Harvey would be the next contender. I am beginning to hope that all the names for the next 6 storms will be Tropical Storms and not hurricanes. This would be nice and would also prove the point that it only takes one storm to make a disaster and that multiple formations of weak storms are just plain fun to look at.

leetdan
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:17 AM

The new discussion is up, basically saying what we all now know about Franklin. The poor guy's being shorn like an overly fluffy sheep.

And as for Gert, there's an absence of the well-defined circulation it had earlier. It looks even sloppier than Franklin on visible satellite, though it has much more associated convection visible on the IR loop.

DMFischer
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Jul 24 2005 12:27 PM
Re: franklin going away, SAT brought a question

I do more lurking and reading here than anything, and have learned more than I am sure what to do with ..but thats another topic. I was studying this SAT http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/weather/sat.gif and want to see if I am still miss understanding. the white of course is water/moisture and that line of dark that loops down into the panhandle, that is dry air. right? so is this a trough? and if I am correct, it is this that steered Franklin out.
Thanks for patient answers
Dawn

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 12:30 PM

Franklin and Gert are both kind of whimpy storms.
So when the story is written that this year we had "X" number of named storms, lets keep in mind that a certain number of them were nothing to write home about.

I'm glad for the break in anything major before the August/September time frame begins.

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Sun Jul 24 2005 12:44 PM

The same holds true for any season, making them no less impactful than any others. Arlene and Cindy brought plenty of rain to the central Gulf coast; Franklin put a scare into Florida for some time and nearly reached hurricane intensity; and Bret and Gert both impacted Mexico much like Arlene did Florida/Alabama. Oh yeah...and then there's Dennis and Emily. Considering just those two laone, I don't think it's prudent to knock down the rest of the season in its entirety just because they may not have gotten to hurricane strength. This isn't a case of the NHC naming every last thing out there -- each storm this year has been a bonafide tropical cyclone.

Beaumont, TX
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 01:28 PM

Whether the storms are "whimpy" or full blown hurricanes it is still interesting that this many have formed before August.

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Jul 24 2005 01:30 PM

Yeah, wasn't Dennis something like the strongest July hurricane since 1969? (not sure on the year)

dennis was 'the' strongest july hurricane. nothing stronger in the historical database (though i'm sure there have been others). -HF

Steve H1
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 01:35 PM

Actuallly DM, the hite line that Franklin is on is the trough exiting. The Dark area in the Ohio valley is ridging/higher pressure. The trough or cold front is pushing Franklin out. Sometimes storms duck under the cold front and head westward underneath the building ridge (dark area). Associate troughs with areas of lower pressure/Moisture (white areas on the picture) usually amplifying or rising air,and ridges with clear skies (dark areas on picture) and sinking air/drier conditions.

Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 02:06 PM

I agree with HF's analysis on Franklin. He split apart, but it's so far east it would be hard for him to come back. Just the same, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the energy sticks around for the next 3-5 days.

On another forum, I put together a mini-analysis of the landfall forecasts I read leading into the season and how they are playing out. It was in conjunction with the Joe B. 7/15 update that was already posted here. Since it's kind of a slow day, I'll go ahead and post the discussion portion if anyone's interested. If not, skip down .

...Considering the obvious potential for close in stuff, I would think there will be some additional tropical storm hits here and there as well. If that verifies along with what we've already seen and what he thinks is to come, 2005 could end up way worse than 2004. I wouldn't have suspected that.

FWIW, I don't have an opinion on his updated forecast one way or the other. It seems almost sensationalist. But 2004's was too and lived up to the hype as far as landfall intensity. I'm just interested in who's honing in on the right ideas between some of the seasonal forecasts I look at. Primarily, I read Independentwx, Bastardi, Hurricane Alley, Dr. Gray's %ages and Gary Gray (more for criticism than anything else).

So far Joe is doing pretty well based on his June forecast. But he's got a long way to go (and admittedly so does the 2005 Atlantic Storm Season) if he's going to turn out to have been on with his '95/'54/'33 ideas. There has been some symmetry (sp?) so far.
-------------------------------------------------------
Indepdent (my boys Rob, Jason and sometimes Kevin Budd) utilized '52, 58', '60, '89, '96, '01 and '03. As for what they've hit and missed on so far, you have to start with the Eastern Caribbean. They noted the higher SST's, but downplayed activity there. We actually saw a July storm run through the whole Caribbean which is probably a surprise to everyone. But they also noted weaker than normal TUTT this year. They should get an A for that because TUTT's are actually splitting off pretty frequently in front of waves in what I can only describe as a combination El Nino (where you often see more TUTT activity stretching down from the W Atlantic into the tropics) and La Nina (where trofs nearly always split). It's a variation on the neutral pattern I suppose.

Now they bombed already on the Gulf. If TD #7 becomes Gert, that would be 6 storms so far in the Gulf this season. They didn't foresee any Majors in the Gulf, but we've had 2 I think so far. They saw a hit or two on TX and NE Mexico, but only expected a minimal hurricane at worst out of whatever hit the W Gulf. They didn't expect Louisiana getting hit at all. We got Cindy as TxWxWx can probably tell you if it was as fun over in St. Charles as it was here in town. They also only saw one tropical storm for MS/AL/FL Panhandle. They've had a strong tropical storm and a Major make landfall so far (with IMHO, more to come in the late summer and possibly again in October). They see 1 tropical storm impact to the W FL Peninsula which we'll have to wait and see for.

They don't see any landfalls to the Atlantic side of Florida, though expect a close call. The caution was if the progged pattern shifted a hair westward, caution for that area would be in order. They don't forecast for GA because of the lack of supporting climatology (can't say I blame them).

They do expect the Carolinas to be impacted twice - once from a major. I think they outlined the setup for that pretty well. They don't see anything up the east coast unless it's from a storm that already landfalled in NC. Finally, they expect named storm impact in the Canadian maritimes. (They also do the islands, but I'm only looking at North America for this post).
Hurricane Alley (excluding their 2 el nino analog seasons) utilized '59, '63, '79, '01, '03. They do a formation zone which showed 14 storms forming in the Atlantic (3 in the Gulf, 1 off FL, 1, WC, 1 EC, 4 CV, 2 CA, 2 Horse lattidues of the Atlantic. Their highest risk areas are NE Texas, central LA to Panama City, N GA/S SC, Maine and Nova Scotia - all with over a 70% probability of landfall. The Yucatan was only 40-70%as was NC which averaged from 10-40% south of the Outer Banks to 40-70% there. They've underplayed NE Mexico (10-40%) and should TD #7 become Gert before landfall, would likely miss EC/SE Mexico which they have progged at < 10%.
--------------------------------------------------------
Dr. William Gray and the Colorado forecast team foresaw 15 named storms this season. Their analogs as of 5/31 were '58, '66, '95, '03 and '04.

That's particularly high for them as they have tended toward under-forecasting the better part of the last several years. If they did again, it promises to be the most exciting storm season ever IMO. CSU puts out a percent chance for a major storm hit. They have the entire US East Coast at 59%, Brownsville to S FL @ 44% and the entire US Coastline at 77%. The score as of today is 1 for the Gulf. Both percentages (US EC and G.C.) are higher than average (52/31% respectively). They are set to update their forecast in 2 weeks on August 5th. They aren't as detailed about landfall because they are in year #4 of a project with Bridgewater State College that has its own website. The URL is too long, but if you do a search for "United States Landfalling Hurricane Webpage Application" you can see what they're doing and what they're looking at. Warning: it's a fairly technical piece of work.
Millenium Weather hedged their bet and updated their forecast in late June. Their analogs (though their chart was hard to read in what they added or took out) were '04, '62, '53, '03, '60, '70, and '61. It looked like they removed '02 and '64 and replaced them with '69, '58 and '52.

For purposes of their landfall impacts, they had the Yucatan at low risk (miss), the Bay of Campeche low risk (miss), NE Mexico low-moderate (miss), TX moderate-high (remains to be seen), LA/MS/AL moderate-high (Cindy), NW Florida moderate (miss since 2 storms including a Cat 3 already hit), S FL & Bahamas moderate-high (Franklin), NEFL/GA moderate minus, SC-NC high risk (their only zone of high risk), VA/MD/DE moderate minus, NJ/NY low-moderate, New England moderate, Canadian Maritimes moderate-high.
--------------------------------------------------------
So that's where we stand with everyone's seasonal landfall forecasts that I read. I hope you enjoyed the post. If anyone knows of any others out there, feel free to post a critique and/or comment on this one. Sorry in advance for any misspellings or grammatical errors because it's just too long of a post to go back and edit. Peace.

Steve

Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 02:15 PM

Latest Bamm's are now showing Franklin making a loop and a scare for N. Carolina. Curious to see if Bamm will rejoin the consensus towards Bermuda in the next run.

Lysis
(User)
Sun Jul 24 2005 02:16 PM

Excellent, Steve

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 02:28 PM

Very interesting post. It just goes to show that there are so many aspects of forecasting that everyone can take a position and be correct in theory but verification still depends on the immediate factors at the time of observation. The thing that impresses me is that no matter how much historical data and current recon is done, the weather seems to try something new or put a new twist on an old pattern. I am still of the opinion that we will see an early winter for the south. Winter meaning temperatures that make it into the 50's at night, rebounding to whatever the atmosphere will permit for highs.

Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 02:34 PM

Thanks Lysis. I was hoping that others on s2k and here might have run across some different seasonal forecasts as well and be willing to post a link or a writeup. I know some outfit in Texas (something risk?) does a highest anticipated impact area, but their seasonal totals are usually so far off that I quit looking at them. I know there are others. I'm not trying to call anyone out (e.g. I love indepdentwx), but as science progresses in overall seasonal recognition, we can see who is improving and what we're learning overall. A lot of people think it's voodoo, but I always bring up whether or not people would have thought what Dr. William Gray was doing was jive back in the 1970's in trying to predict numbers of storms. Now, we all take him fairly seriously. We'll never be to the point where we'll be able to say 3 months out that a storm will be at point "x" on a certain day, but we will recognize factors that contribute to certain reactions just like we do for looking at upcoming winter or summer patterns and such.

To suppliment the beginning of the post (since I left out the Bastardi update), he's calling for hurricane hits in Texas, Canana, New England, MS/AL/NWFL zone, a major for S Florida and a major for North Carolina. I added in the part about close-in tropical storms, because I'm sure there will be 3 or 4 more of those hitting before the season is up.

Steve

rmbjoe1954
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 02:51 PM

I've wondered about the new British model that was supposed to enhance hurricane predictions for the rest of the tropical season. I thought we would be able to get a better handle on what kinds of storms and where they would be headed for the remainder of the season.

Any news from any site regarding this?

It was supposed to get enacted in August of this year.

Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 03:21 PM

Joe,

This is all I could find:

British scientists have created a computer model that
significantly boosts the accuracy of hurricane predictions in
the United States. The work by a team from University College
London is expected to enable government, public, emergency
planning bodies and insurers with U.S. interests to receive
forecasts each August of the likelihood of hurricane damage
during the hurricane season that runs from August to October.
The model uses anomalies in July wind patterns from six regions
over North America and the East Pacific and North Atlantic
oceans to predict the wind energy of U.S.-striking hurricanes
for the following hurricane season. The wind anomalies are
indicative of atmospheric circulation patterns that either
favor or hinder evolving hurricanes from reaching US shores.
The large year-on-year variability in the number of hurricanes
making U.S. landfall means skilful seasonal forecasts of
activity would benefit both individuals and a range of decision-
makers. The research is summarized in Thursday's edition of the
journal Nature.

The Press Release

Here's another article on an NC State project that claims to be able to better predict numbers of storms and landfall risks.

http://www.physorg.com/news4351.html

Here's a link to tsr's ACE Index forecast from 7/7. I didn't see any mention of what they are going to release in August.

http://tsr.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/

Steve

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 03:36 PM

CNN story on African dust.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/23/dust.storm.ap/index.html

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 03:56 PM

Hey I'm back - looks like Gert's circulation is very close to the coast. And that all the convection on Franklin's upper level circ is being sheered off to the south, but clearly the two circulations are still moving in tandem. That is so weird. I am just learning about all this but I never would have thought this type of a situation was possible.

Now how does the interaction between the circulations work when they are still coupled but physically separated like this? What would a cross section of the storm look like?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 04:11 PM

E ATLC TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 24W/25W S OF 15N MOVING W 10-15
KT. SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT A LOW LEVEL CIRCULATION MAY
BE FORMING NEAR 11N25W. SCATTERED MODERATE/ISOLATED STRONG
CONVECTION N OF THE POSSIBLE CIRCULATION FROM 11N-13N BETWEEN
25W-27W IS DISORGANIZED AT THE PRESENT TIME. ITCZ CONVECTION TO
THE SW APPEARS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE OVERALL CIRCULATION.
BROKEN/OVERCAST LOW/MID CLOUDS ARE SURGING NORTHWARD ON THE E
SIDE OF THE WAVE AND MOVING OVER THE SOUTHERN CAPE VERDE
ISLANDS. SHOWERS AND TSTMS WILL INCREASE NEAR OR OVER THE ISLAND
CHAIN OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS THE WAVE CONTINUES WESTWARD.

CENTRAL ATLC TROPICAL WAVE FROM 20N50W-13N53W-6N56W MOVING W
NEAR 20 KT. WAVE WAS REPOSITIONED SLIGHTLY TO THE W BASED ON
1200 UTC UPPER AIR DATA FROM GUYANA AND EARLY MORNING QUIKSCAT
DATA. LEADING EDGE OF WAVE IS ABOUT 100-150 NM E OF BARBADOS AND
THE REMAINDER OF THE WINDWARD ISLANDS. CIRCULATION ASSOCIATED
WITH THE WAVE CONTINUES TO BE QUITE BROAD...EXTENDING E TO 45W
AND W TO THE WINDWARD ISLANDS. EARLIER SURFACE LOW HAD
DISSIPATED... ALTHOUGH A LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION MAY STILL BE
EVIDENT NEAR 12N51W. AN AREA OF SCATTERED MODERATE/ISOLATED
STRONG CONVECTION IS W OF THE AXIS FROM 10N-13N BETWEEN 58W-62W.
THIS CONVECTION WILL AFFECT THE WINDWARD ISLANDS DURING THE NEXT
SEVERAL HOURS AS THE WAVE MOVES THROUGH THE AREA.

Could These to devlop Easily Sence They Both Have Low-Level Circulation?

Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 04:36 PM
Gert heading on shore, Franklin Going Stationnary?

So, Gert is making landfall it seems... probably a good thing, it looked like it was getting its act together... Franklin looks like the LLC is actually stationary... is this an illusion or is it possible that the entire system is going to start drifting south as the LLC tries to keep contact with the Convection?

-Mark

rmbjoe1954
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 04:40 PM

Thanks Steve. With the TCZ rock and rolling it would be nice to see what the models would have us watch out for in August/September.

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 04:44 PM

The LLC seems to be situated between 72 W and 31 N based on quickstat winds and visible satellite imagery. Infrared imagery indicates a dense area of cirrus clouds to the east of the LLC looks like it's becoming baroclinic. The shear axis of the shortwave trof is really having it's affects on Franklin. I don't think Franklin will have any affects on the U.S., even wave wise... Globals have it being absorbed by the large low off of Newfoundland in 48 hours, though the track could vary somewhat from now to then...

The large wave between the Lessser Antilles and the CV islands is showing up beautifully on visible imagery. Very healthy despite the dust...

EDIT: obviously earlier satellite imagery as it's dark right now in the Cape Verde region...

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 05:22 PM
Tropics

Here's a recent visible of Franklin. The LLC is easily seen to the NNW of the CDO. Horizontally dissected tropical cyclone.
Shear must be approaching 25 kts or better.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/GOES20452005205NSYxEk.jpg

Interesting report from NOAA recon plane near Gert.
As poor as her satellite signature is, they are finding 51 kt winds. That's 59 mph at flight level.

Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 05:32 PM
Re: Tropics

That's a pretty neat image!

00cj
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Jul 24 2005 05:40 PM

Im really interested in the question NONAME asked above. could someone give their opinion on that. thanx.

Tazmanian93
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 05:41 PM

Not to go off topic,but I am getting ready to purchase some tracking software. Anyone have any thoughts on Eye Of The Storm 3000 Tracking software and any opinions on some better than others?

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 06:24 PM

I am curious why you are going to purchase tracking SW.

I did go and take a look at it and it seems like it only brings to your PC just the same thing that can be found out on the net, in a more convenient form.

I don't think discussing hurricane tracking SW is off topic.

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 06:27 PM

I've tried all weather software and i actually needed to reformat the computer to get rid of it Eye of the storm is okay, but I find global tracks 7 is the best hurricane/weather software out there...

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Could These to devlop Easily Sence They Both Have Low-Level Circulation?

Given the way this season has been going. Almost a 50/ 50 chance on any thunderstorm getting a name!

On the other hand. The SAL dust in the Caribbean, a small TUTT near the Greater Antilles, and the loss of upper convection. It would be a toss up for the next 24 hours.

HCW
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 06:40 PM

Best cane software

1) Hurrevac
2) Hurrtrack pro
3) Global tracks
4) Storm tracker
5) Eot 3000

Best radar software Grlevel x tv version

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 06:45 PM
Gert

TROPICAL STORM GERT TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
640 PM CDT SUN JUL 24 2005
REPORTS FROM A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT ON A RESEARCH MISSION
INDICATE THAT GERT HAS STRENGTHENED A LITTLE AS IT APPROACHES THE
COAST OF MEXICO. THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS DECREASED TO 1007 MB AND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO 45 MPH.

I don't think they need any more rain in this area!

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 06:58 PM
Re: Gert

Better late then never as I always say. I wouldn't suppose they do, since they got about 10 inches of rain with Emily!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 07:17 PM

is it me or is Franklin moving a different direction....
moving sw???
must be a wobble....
na...it's looks like a drift back to sw
take a look at the vis shots...looks like he is chasing the upper level blow off...

could he miss the mid-level trough and catch tha ridge that is about to build.....

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 07:33 PM

I just viewed the infrared loops and can see the conga line forming. I can even hear the beat! I wonder what will be promising on August the 8, 2005. Will it be Harvey, Irene, Jose, Kevin, Leroy, Mertle, Ninny, oprah or Peterpan?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 07:33 PM

AccuWeather: "tropical wave in the Eastern atlantic near 25 west, south of 16 north and moving west at 10-15 knots. A low level center is forming along this wave and it is also causing convection" The NHC also said it is trying to form a low level circulation this look like it could become are first Cape Verde Hurricane Any one got any more on this that they would want to share please do.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 07:40 PM
NHC

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
205 PM EDT SUN JUL 24 2005 edited~danielw
...TROPICAL WAVES...

E ATLC TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 24W/25W S OF 15N MOVING W 10-15 KT. SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT A LOW LEVEL CIRCULATION MAY BE FORMING NEAR 11N25W. SCATTERED MODERATE/ISOLATED STRONG CONVECTION N OF THE POSSIBLE CIRCULATION FROM 11N-13N BETWEEN 25W-27W IS DISORGANIZED AT THE PRESENT TIME. ITCZ CONVECTION TO THE SW APPEARS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE OVERALL CIRCULATION.
BROKEN/OVERCAST LOW/MID CLOUDS ARE SURGING NORTHWARD ON THE E SIDE OF THE WAVE AND MOVING OVER THE SOUTHERN CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. SHOWERS AND TSTMS WILL INCREASE NEAR OR OVER THE ISLAND
CHAIN OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS THE WAVE CONTINUES WESTWARD.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWDAT+shtml/241800.shtml?

I don't see any mention of a Hurricane.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 07:44 PM
Re: NHC

I don't see any mention of a Hurricane.

I know It not even a storm yet but could it become it looks like it could be a depression in a couple of days

dem05
(User)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:09 PM

Quote:

is it me or is Franklin moving a different direction....
moving sw???

More to the SSW, but this is not just a wobble as you mentioned, it's been going on for hours now (going on 4). This is starting to evolve into a trend. Interested paties in Eastern Florida may wish to look at shortwave satellite from here on out tonight, sun is down, but circulation still exposed enough. The trough may strike out after all. If this trend continues into the morning, we have a whole new ball game with Franklin and the African Congo line will become something to discuss later.

NONAME
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:26 PM

More info on the eastern atlantic tropical wave I was talking about earlier

E ATLC TROPICAL WAVE IS ALONG 26W S OF 15N MOVING W 10-15 KT.
SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT A LOW MAY BE FORMING ALONG THE
WAVE NEAR 12N. SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION IS N OF THE
POSSIBLE CIRCULATION FROM 11N-13N BETWEEN 25W-27W BUT IS
DISORGANIZED AT THE PRESENT TIME. THE WAVE IS PART OF THE
LARGER MORE ITCZ-RELATED CIRCULATION EXTENDING TO THE SW. A FEW
SHOWERS ARE NEAR THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS... OTHERWISE
BROKEN/OVERCAST LOW/MID CLOUDS ARE FROM 13N-18N BETWEEN 24W-32W.

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:28 PM

found some great images from dennis aftermath from NWS office in mobile.

check them out

Also could this be the future of Hurricane Proof Homes?

Check this out:

I've seen this on the news before, but its first time i had a good look it.

also Franklin looks like he might wanna take a vacation to the south, instead of the Cold north Atlantic. Will see in the morning!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:28 PM

Tropical storm Franklin is starting to make a south west movement from what i see in the satalite view it is taking a south turn

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:29 PM
Re: Franklin

Yeah, I'm seeing that too, but it seems more south-easterly than south-westerly on IR, with the southerly component speed increasing every hour it seems.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:34 PM

Quote:

The NHC also said it is trying to form a low level circulation this look like it could become are first Cape Verde Hurricane

Ummmm......doesn't Emily qualify as the first Cape Verde hurricane??? Even though Emily did not reach hurricane strength until in the Caribbean, it was classified as a depression at 42.9 degrees W.

--Lou

recmod
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:36 PM

Quote:

dennis was 'the' strongest july hurricane. nothing stronger in the historical database (though i'm sure there have been others). -HF

I thought Emily beat out Dennis as THE strongest July hurricane ever. Dennis peaked at 937mb, 150 mph; Emily peaked at 929mb, 155mph.....

-Lou

my mistake, you're right... emily was stronger. dennis did have a central pressure measured at 930mb in the gulf.. the winds at the time were clocked at 150mph. so dennis was #1 for all of six days. -HF

NONAME
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:38 PM

Well some Consider it as one. There is not an real definition of a Cape Verde Hurricane but the Most say it is a Depression that becomes a hurricane before it reaches the Lesser antillies there for some would say Emily was a Cape Verde and some would say she wasn;t

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:44 PM
Gert Recon

URNT11 KNHC 250014
97779 00024 21217 97419 15200 21012 18168 /2481
RMK AF308 0207A GERT OB 06
MARKED ABEAM ESTIMATED CENTER OVERLAND AT 2359Z
WITH MINIMUM 850 MB HSS OF 1475 METERS AND MIN SLP 1006 M

If I'm reading that correctly. RECON is saying that Gert's "center" is now over land.~damielw

Follow up to the above report.
URNT11 KNHC 250043
97779 00384 21221 97518 15200 13026 18158 /2480
RMK AF308 0207A GERT OB 08
MARKED ABEAM FL CENTER INLAND AT 00:33Z. MINIMUM 850MB HSS 1477 METERS. MIN EXTRAP SLP 1006 M

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:46 PM
Franklin's Future, and Long Range Insight

IR and visible imagery indicate that the storm is decoupled, and is being heavily sheared. Sheared storms can and have been very tenacious in the past so this may last long. It's the future that concern's me...the GFS has a completely different track from the CMC and NOGAPS, and the answer lies in where the polar vortex ends up. The GFS places the vortex over the pole, which pulls Franklin away from the U.S and therefore it doesn't block the briding of the azores and U.S ridge. The CMC and to a lesser extent NOGAPS leave the storm, and see some transistion to extratropical which allows it to strengthen. This would prevent the bridging, and prevents or more likely hinders future development of the Cape verde wave. All I'm saying is that the future path of Franklin will determine the next storms path. The AO is forecasted to go moderately negative over the next 10 days, conducive to what the GFS is thinking.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index_ensm.shtml

So based on what I think the CV wave will be a more GOM threat...

Bloodstar
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:50 PM
Re: Franklin's Future, and Long Range Insight

Sheared or not, the low level circulation is heading south and south south west. Which is not the direction expected by anyone.

It's still hanging tough... and if the southern motion continued for the next 12 hours, all bets are off on what's going to happen, I hate bringing Jeanne up, but how manytimes was Jeanne pretty much counted down for the count?

-Mark

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:52 PM

Remember the early models. They had Franklin doing a 270 degree turn back toward the west
http://flhurricane.com/modelanimator.php?storm=6&amp;Year=2005

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:59 PM

Computer models are starting to make a south turn

dolfinatic
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 08:59 PM

should be interesting to see what the models do with this now if Franklin continues this s/sw trend.

Steve H1
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:00 PM

I think Pedro is onto something here.....it does appear to be drifting to the SSW.

CaneTrackerInSoFl
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:01 PM

If it continues, it could be the original forecast track because this is basically the same area it was supposed to make the loop.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:09 PM

It looks like the LLC is collapsing to me. I wonder if it is trying to reform under the ULC to the SE where the maximum convection is.

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:12 PM

I have seen something on TV about that round house.

You know, I had no idea that "beachfront property" meant literally feet from the ocean, and probably in the ocean at high tide. Good grief, that seems a little unrealistic.

Keith234
(Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:14 PM

Well, mircowave analysis indicated that there was some strong thunderstorms just to the southeast of the LLC firing up. So maybe the center is reorganizing there.

stormchazer
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:22 PM

I'll be dang'd if Franklin does not look like it is looping. Now we will see if it can survive.

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:23 PM

Quote:

I think Pedro is onto something here.....it does appear to be drifting to the SSW.

It looks like a big curve - it is still going S but now it is going E as well. It is moving SE now. And the high level circulation is still moving in tandem with the low level circulation - their relative positions appear to be unchanged.

superfly
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:25 PM

I definitely consider Emily a Cape Verde storm through and through.

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:29 PM

I believe we got some outerband storms from some of Franklins former self, this afternoon in Central Fla. It was very noisy, wet, and squally. Franklin could become formidable if he manages to loop and turn back toward us- like Gordon did.....( I bet you thought I was going to say Jeanne. Well, I am kind of loopy tonight, thinking about some of the information out there about a south Florida Storm this year. Our temperature dropped from high 90's to currently 75 degrees. So Franklin's energy is going some place!!!!!

stormchazer
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

It was very noisy, wet, and squally.

It is a little more then that. The wife and me just ran a few errands on the Southside of Lakeland and every other street is flooded. I put my "skipper" hat on. I thought I was in Venice......Italy!

Steve H1
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:51 PM

Doesn't look SE now Marge, take a look at the latest loop. If he bottoms out near the Bahamas again and once the high moves over to the north and NE, conditions might be good for him mto re-fire. Who knows.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:52 PM

it is moving to the southeast now ...will it loop and get stronger or get sheared apart

Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:52 PM

North side of Lakeland wasn't much better, I was ready to get out the ark

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:58 PM

I noticed by reading the Archives, that Jeanne went all the way to 69 Latitude before making her loop back towards Florida. So our little Franklin could still do the loop thing.

I think that should be 69 longitude~danielw

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 09:58 PM

Quote:

Doesn't look SE now Marge, take a look at the latest loop. If he bottoms out near the Bahamas again and once the high moves over to the north and NE, conditions might be good for him mto re-fire. Who knows.

Still looks like a SE movement to me. It is a little easier to follow if you look at the upper level circulation.

AlexK
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:00 PM
Gert over land now

It looked like Gert was starting to get its act togerther as it made landfall. If it had stayed over water for another day it could have become a strong TS or minimal hurricane.

I seem to believe that Frankliin is finished, barring something major happening.

I wouldnt be surprised if the wave in the far eastern atlantic amounts to something

Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:00 PM

I agree Margie, I don't see the westward motion, looks southeastward to me, perhaps the appearance of a west motion is an illusion created by the darkness.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:18 PM
Re:Frankliin

As Yoga would say IT ANI'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER. But do think Franklin is dying and winds are at 40 to 45mph at 11 NHC.

CaneTrackerInSoFl
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:23 PM

Quote:

As Yoga would say IT ANI'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER. But do think Franklin is dying and winds are at 40 to 45mph at 11 NHC.

You mean Yogi Berra.

dolfinatic
(Weather Guru)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:25 PM

I beg to differ. If you look at the visible sat from goes floater, the low level circulation is moving s/sw while the concentration of storms are moving se.

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You mean Yogi Berra.

Maybe he was thinking a cross between Yoda and Yogi!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:26 PM

Right my typo Yogi

CaneTrackerInSoFl
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:37 PM

New advisory in, winds down to 45, moving SSW at 3 mph. Hopefully, it resumes its ENE movement as is forecast tomorrow.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:46 PM

um.... which would you choose?

which one is right?

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:54 PM

The advisories are coming out earlier and earlier and the discussions later and later.

Goosus
(Verified CFHC User)
Sun Jul 24 2005 10:58 PM

Ok, someone help me out here. I've been watching storms for several years, but this decoupling of the upper and lower circulation centers is fascinating. They have been separate for over a day but seem to be moving in concert with one another.

Which is actually the center of Franklin? I thought it was the LLC.

If the NHC is saying it's drifting to the SW at 3 MPH, they're not seeing the same thing I am. The LLC has been moving just east of due south for many hours now, and it's moving at a much better clip than 3 MPH. I'd say the center of the LLC is at least a good 75 to 100 miles south of where it started the change in direction.

What happens if the LLC "finds" the mid level convection? Are they drawn to each other like a magnet? Do they match back up?

The farther Fanklin drifts from the trough, the harder time it's going to have grabbing it again to throw it Eastward, no?

I'm somewhat new to this, so please excuse my questions if they're basic.

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:01 PM

Well, it was moving SW...but that was awhile ago. Maybe by the time the advisory was written up and ready to go, it had not started the SE movement yet.

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:05 PM

Well the discussion is up...actually it isn't late, it's just that the advisories are coming so much earlier.

Well it looks like it is still a waiting game as long as Franklin is hanging on. So I wonder what we'll be seeing on Tuesday night.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:11 PM

First question. Franklin is like a "Rope Tornado" right now.
Surface vortice is displaced from the Upper Vortice. I'm not a Met. Part of my theory on this has to do with the 'slope' of the trough moving through the area. I'm thinking that the trough is like a bulldozer blade. But, the blade doesn't go all the way to the surface. So, it's displaced the top of the storm and left the bottom in place.

NHC normally gives the surface location. Since that's normally the part we worry about the most. In this case I'm not sure.
But I'm going with the surface vortice location.

Best for Last.
NHC averages the storm movement of All storms. I believe it's over the last three position locations.
Remember Charley last year. RECON had him turning 5 hours before the Advisories reflected that He Was turning.
All you had to do was plot the Vortex reports.
Charley started his turn around 7 AM. In other words. He went No further West at that time.
The Advisories didn't reflect the turn until around Noon or 1 PM.
Sometime your eyes play tricks on you. Long hours watching loops can do that too!
I prefer a 4 to 6 hour loop. Without enhancement. For movement. That's just my preference, though.

Major7
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:26 PM

I was talking to my Dad earlier today and he mentioned something about the dust storm that came off from Africa a couple of days ago giving S. Florida some colorful sunrises. Does anyone know more about this phenomenom and when it should be coloring the sunrise? (Or did it already happen?)

Thanks.

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

I beg to differ. If you look at the visible sat from goes floater, the low level circulation is moving s/sw while the concentration of storms are moving se.

OK - turn on the lat/lon, and then go back to the last daylight shot where it is very easy to see the center of the LLC (23:15Z). Then take the edge of a piece of paper and line it up on the center and parallel to the lat line. You can clearly see the center moving SE from 23:15Z to 02:15Z, with no westward movement.

Steve
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:33 PM

Sunset was beautiful here. The sand dust reflects red rays in the color spectrum, so the sunsets will be more pink and red than they usually are in the Summer.

Fwiw, anyone checked out Africa lately? There are about 5 future named storms on the continent. The one I like the best is about 13N/32E. That's one of those ones that looks like it'll exit the coast as a named storm.

http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/metsat7ir.html

And here's a pretty funny depiction from S2K.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=69057

Steve

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:35 PM

Quote:

I was talking to my Dad earlier today and he mentioned something about the dust storm that came off from Africa a couple of days ago giving S. Florida some colorful sunrises. Does anyone know more about this phenomenom and when it should be coloring the sunrise? (Or did it already happen?)

Thanks.

As long as there is still dust in the air you probably can see it again.

There is an interesting study someone did about the paintings of Turner capturing the many spectacular sunsets in Britain some time after the Krakatoa explosion.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:42 PM
Dust

The only mention I can find is in the TWD from tonight.
Checked Tampa, Melbourne and Miami NWS Forecast Discussions...No mention.
From the 8 PM EDT Trop. Weather Discussion-edited~danielw
W CARIBBEAN TROPICAL WAVE FROM THE CAYMAN ISLANDS INTO PANAMA
JAMAICA ALONG 81W/82W MOVING W 25 KT. LONG-TERM SATELLITE LOOPS
SUGGEST THAT THE WAVE ACCELERATED AS IT MOVED THRU THE CARIBBEAN
WITH TSTMS SW OF GRAND CAYMAN LIKELY MARKING THE WAVE'S
POSITION. THIS WAVE IS ALSO THE LEADING EDGE OF AFRICAN DUST
BUT MOST OF THE DUST IS STILL IN THE CARIBBEAN SEA. ISOLATED
MODERATE CONVECTION WITHIN 75 NM OF 17N83W.

CARIBBEAN...
WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS VERY LITTLE DEEP MOISTURE OVER MOST OF
THE CARIBBEAN WITH MOST DEEP CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE
TROPICAL WAVES. DRY AIR WITH SUSPENDED AFRICAN DUST IS SPREADING
W INTO THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN THOUGH IT APPEARS TO BE THINNING A
BIT AS IT MOVES WESTWARD.

ATLANTIC...
VERY DRY AIR IS PRESENT W OF 45W IN THE DEEP TROPICS
ASSOCIATED WITH THE SAHARAN DUST OUTBREAK. DEEP EASTERLY FLOW S
OF THE RIDGE HAS ENOUGH UPPER DIFFLUENCE AND AVAILABLE MOISTURE
TO SUPPORT CONVECTION NEAR THE ITCZ AND E ATLC TROPICAL WAVE.
LARGE AREA OF SAHARAN DUST COVERS MOST OF EASTERN ATLANTIC...
WITH MAIN CONCENTRATIONS S OF 23N W OF 42W AND N OF 17N E OF 40W
TO THE AFRICAN COAST.

Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Jul 24 2005 11:57 PM

Yikes! What an amazing graphic. Looks like this is going to be "one of those years..." Guess we just have to get our C batteries, flashlights, and plywood and "hunker down."

Ryan
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:10 AM

maybe you, im all clear hear on the island..just hot and humid

were hurricane free, right?

Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:26 AM

Just for that Ryan, I hope all our hurricanes head toward Long Island. just kidding... though I'm sure the state of FL would be glad to send them your way.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:43 AM

Quote:

As of this minute, there are no hurricanes heading in your direction.

However - Long Island has been hit by hurricanes in the past. It will happen again, eventually.

'shana

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:51 AM

Looks like the upper level circulation is stationary now and the lower level circulation going straight S.

Forecast did say the movement would be erratic but that eastward movement would resume. Guess morning will tell.

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:04 AM

Anyone else getting the visual that Franklin is really a slinky?????

'shana

MC Hurricane
(Registered User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:04 AM
Disturbance off Florida West Coast

The area of cloud cover off Florida looks like it could become at least a tropical depression before moving ashore. Here is the link:

National Hurricane Center

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:13 AM
Re: Disturbance off Florida West Coast

Quote:

The area of cloud cover off Florida looks like it could become at least a tropical depression before moving ashore. Here is the link:

National Hurricane Center

Dunno... I'm not good at that yet. But the clouds over Austin look like they're somehow connected to Gert!

'shana

HanKFranK
(User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:19 AM
there goes...

franklin finally quit moving northeast this afternoon. drifting south now, slowly weakening under northerly shear and from subsidence entrainment. the convection is still edging SE, so it may drag the llc that way for a while; as the ridge moves eastward to the north the flow should turn NE and start to push franklin into some version of that loop bamm has been sending it on for days. the severe version takes it back west into striking position of the SE coast; the consensus would keep it pretty close to where it is for the next couple of days. there' s a chance it dissipates in the next couple of days.. but not too great it'll get completely thrashed, and shear conditions should improve slowly late tomorrow/tuesday. it's interesting and quite a forecast problem, but more than likely not going to be much of a threat.
gert is inland, pretty much a rehash of bret back in late june. area to the north of landfall was recently doused by emily... this one isn't moving incredibly slow so flooding problems shouldn't be more than a nuisance.
future interests:
the weak trough across s. florida is still a focal point for scattered/moderate convection at times, but not developing right now. it'll take a sustained burst of convection to get something going at this point.. probably going to be a no-show. this area may linger for a couple days.
east of emily: a weak disturbance has been hanging on the tail of an old frontal boundary under northerly shear, intermittently firing convection. again, needs a sustained burst to do more than flounder.
near 14/54: broad cyclonic turning associated with the tropical wave/moisture plume that came off africa last week. atmosphere slowly becoming more moist.. a flowering of convection would make it interesting.
wave near 30w: moving along, good itcz flare at the lead, cyclonic turning tailing, moving w behind it at a slightly higher latitude. models track as a wave, but the environment ahead is moderately ok.
over africa: long train of waves shown in that graphic steve posted earlier. probably a storm or two in there. maybe they'll develop early and recurve early.. considering that all 7 storms this season have affected land, it'd be nice to see a genuine fish spinner. gfs develops the one emerging early this week and recurves it far out to sea.. typical. not completely infeasible since the atlantic ridge has a good, broad weakness in the western atlantic right now, that should be reinforced for the next few days. its mean position should back over the SE as per global models.. also showing a weakness near 45w that gfs is probably overdoing.
anywho... harvey should be around before too much longer, way things are looking.
HF 0619z25july

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:25 AM
Re: there goes...

What keeps the lower level circulation going when the upper level circulation is so distant? Asked a similar ? earlier today but no response. How do the two levels of circulation interact?

mojorox
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:49 AM

Major7, here is a cool link to ..I think ..sat pics of the dust storm.
http://www.nbc6.net/slideshow/4759870/detail.html?qs=

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 05:56 AM

And Major7, here is a graphic showing where the dust is: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/wavetrak/winds/m8g10split.html

As for those storms over Africa...wow.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 06:03 AM

Quote:

What keeps the lower level circulation going when the upper level circulation is so distant? Asked a similar ? earlier today but no response. How do the two levels of circulation interact?

Not a whole lot. It just takes a little while to spin down. I used to know the math formula to figure the spin down time, but that was many years ago. Franklin is weakening as time goes on. This morning's IR loop shows the LLC continuing to collapse and then reform making small loops as it does.

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 06:08 AM
Names

Just wondering...what happens if we hit Z and still have to name more storms?

Major7
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Jul 25 2005 06:12 AM
Re: Names

Thanks Random Chaos and mojorox for the links. I am up early this AM to see if our sunrise looks any different..

TAZMAN
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Jul 25 2005 07:25 AM
Re: Names

I believe HF said they would continue tith Alpha, Beta...........

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 07:26 AM

Quote:

um...no

long island canes

Shalafi
(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:17 AM

"1985 hurricane gloria gives area gusts to 115mph shuts down NYSE area reported many pre mature births due to low pressure."

That's interesting..I had no idea low pressure effected births.

(Editted due to misuse of affect....it's so confusing)

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:33 AM

Good morning. Well it looks like Franklin isn't any further south than late last night, but has moved northeast, and is looking weaker. I can see what you mean about the LLC reforming; looks like it kind of hops along to keep pace with the upper level convection. Does it seem this morning like the sheer is coming a little more from the west, and the convection is trying to climb east, albiet quite a didstance from the center of the LLC? Regardless I guess this week we'll see Franklin's long slow decline.

Can someone post good links to sat images showing the waves travelling off Africa and towards the Caribbean? I only know about the NOAA NHC page of satellite links. May be a good time to learn about how to see these forming into TD.

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:37 AM
African Wave Train

is under full steam:

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:38 AM

Margie:

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/images/images.html
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/trop-atl.html
http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/cgi-bin/main.pl?satellite

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

"1985 hurricane gloria gives area gusts to 115mph shuts down NYSE area reported many pre mature births due to low pressure."

That's interesting..I had no idea low pressure effected births.

(Editted due to misuse of affect....it's so confusing)

Affect, not effect, would be the clearer choice in that sentence. However you could say that one effect of the low pressure was to induce more births.

Affect is a verb and in this case means to influence.
Using effect as a verb here, while not technically incorrect, has a slightly different and more limited meaning that is probably not the best word choice; while you could say that the low pressure effected the births that is more like saying it carried them out or implemented them, rather than caused them, as if the hurricane was a midwife. Effect is used more often as a noun, where it generally refers to a result.

let's keep the grammar police in the station...next post like this gets whacked ]

Don't misunderstand - trying to be helpful by providing information when someone says that they are confused is not the same as being critical, especially when it is not presented in a negative or demeaning way. Many posts have less than ideal grammar or spelling and I have no interest in commenting on that in general, only providing information when it is requested. Remember if someone stated they were confused about a weather issue you would not hesitate to provide commentary. --Margie

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:48 AM
Re: African Wave Train

Oh my goodness that looks like a little parade. So that's what someone meant last night by the conga line.

OK guess there will be a lot to watch and learn in the near future.

Thanks LI Phil and Random Chaos.

Shalafi
(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:05 AM

Quote:

Affect, not effect, would be the clearer choice in that sentence. However you could say that one effect of the low pressure was to induce more births.

Affect is a verb and in this case means to influence.
Using effect as a verb here, while not technically incorrect, has a slightly different and more limited meaning that is probably not the best word choice; while you could say that the low pressure effected the births that is more like saying it carried them out or implemented them, rather than caused them, as if the hurricane was a midwife. Effect is used more often as a noun, where it generally refers to a result.

I give up. I looked it up on 2 websites...got the proper use and thought I had it nailed since affect is something you are going to do and effect is something that has happened...so I give up...

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:06 AM

Not a problem. Most of us make spelling and grammar mistakes. We just live
with em, and go on... It is NOT the end of the world

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:28 AM

Quote:

Oh my goodness that looks like a little parade. So that's what someone meant last night by the conga line.

OK guess there will be a lot to watch and learn in the near future.

Thanks LI Phil and Random Chaos.

A lot of the storms that come off of Africa break up when hitting the ocean and never develop into anything.......thank goodness.

nl
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:33 AM

anyone have a radar of the saharan dust and when will it be in fl?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:35 AM

Hi, Quick question.....About how long does it take for a storm leaving africa to make land fall in the caribbean? Thanks

TAZMAN
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:48 AM
Dust storm

Looked like it was here to some extent this morning here in Clermont......

Ryan
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

um...no

long island canes

Well look at this from that site you gave me

How often Long Island gets affected?
brushed or hit every 5.36 years.

we were last brushed by hurricane Bob in 1991..so unfortunatley were kind of due

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:02 AM
Shuttle Launch

hi i was wondering with the shuttle launch scheduled to take off again tommorrow, will the dust cloud that is expected today thur wednesday goign to affect it. and what about the dust particles that will attach itself to the shuttle and piggy back into space. Thank you guys...when should tampa experience the dust cloud...im goin to take some pics of the sunset when we get it...

GuppieGrouper
(Weather Master)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:02 AM

The correct answer is approximately 10-14 days. The time it takes to make it from African Coast to Florida is relative and proportional to the dates that people in the North schedule their long awaited vacations at Disney World, the Bahamas, or Cancun. The size of the storm is directly proportional to the amount of money spent up front on a Cruise or non-refundable tourist package scheduled for right in the middle of hurricane season.(hee hee)

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

um...no

long island canes

Well look at this from that site you gave me

How often Long Island gets affected?
brushed or hit every 5.36 years.

we were last brushed by hurricane Bob in 1991..so unfortunatley were kind of due

i'm not gonna get into it here or now, but unfortunately jim williams' site isn't entirely correct...we were clipped by Floyd ('99-met Cantore at Point Lookout), got seriously threatened by Isabel ('03) and received TS winds from Charley ('04). we were also affected by almost every TS/HURR last year with either rain, winds or both...

this year, with the super-high SSTs, i'm very worried about the potential for a long-tracking CV storm to make it's way up here...

in a more appropriate thread, later this season, i will do a full Long Island threat/potential update

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:26 AM

Shalafi/Bryan,

I sent you a PM on an easy method I use all the time myself whenever unsure about word usage. I don't consider myself erudite, just someone with a continuing interest in learning.

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

...this year, with the super-high SSTs, i'm very worried about the potential for a long-tracking CV storm to make it's way up here...

Could you elaborate on cause and effect?

When I first came to this site, earlier this month, and Dennis was in the GOM, I remember asking about whether Dennis was going to move towards the warmer SSTs and wanted to know if the SSTs steered the storm. The response I got back from one of the moderators was that hurricanes are in general steered by the upper layer air circulation (with the central pressure of the hurricane having a relationship to the height of the air circulation that would be dominant), not by SSTs.

So it appears you are saying that water temperature is a major factor in steering hurricanes? That warmer SSTs in the NE would be a contributing factor to hurricanes being steered that way?

I had thought that was not the case, but that if a hurricane happened over warmer water, warmer SSTs would be simply one factor that could facilitate strengthening.

LI Phil
(User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 11:06 AM

i'm making no statement regarding ssts and tropical cyclone movement. my point is that higher ssts are able to sustain hurricane strength (and in the case of VERY warm ssts increase it), so that if there were any hurricanes headed up the east coast, they could maintain intensity for a longer duration with warmer than average SSTs.

while temps of 26 degrees centigrade (approximately 79 degrees farenheit) and above are favorable for hurricane development, the warmer the ssts are along the coast (they are currently below 79F just south of Long Island, but are nudging past 80 as far north as New Jersey), the more chance for a strong (or even weak) hurricane to remain so all the way up the coast...

wiley
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 11:18 AM

Just going over the morning grammar lesson, I mean weather discussions and thought I'd throw in my two cents, so, here's another definition for affect from the American Heritage dictionary:

v. tr: To put on a false show of; simulate: as in "affected a British accent."

Oh, and look, here's the origin- of "erudite"
Middle English erudit, from Latin rudtus, past participle of rudre, to instruct : -, ex-, ex- + rudis, rough, untaught; see "rude."

Just thought I'd share

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 11:23 AM

Thanks for the reply!! I am sure you all get bothered by non weather enthusiast asking questions. It looks like a fun hobby! I am going to the USVI this Friday thru August 1st and was hoping to avoid any TS!! I guess I am in the clear. Sorry to bug you all. I may stick around and learn more about weather. Fascinating!!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 11:30 AM
Re: Shuttle Launch

The Sahara Dust should already be in our neck of the woods or close by. Do not expect much drama with this. It occurs frequently. I am not sure why they made such a big deal about this on the news, guess it was a slow day news wise.. Basically it will be just a hazy day (so what else is new) with very little impact to anything, except those who have chronic breathing problems. This will not be like the dust storm seen in the Mummy..

Pamie
(Registered User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 11:50 AM

From NASA's website:

The Space Shuttle Discovery and its seven-member crew are ready for launch at
10:39 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, July 26.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:16 PM

The news here is saying,expect brownish skies and dirt on your car and clothes.Everyone see that very good looking wave coming off Africa?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:19 PM
Re:LI Storms

Plus the 1938 LI Express storm was NOT extratropical at the point of landfall....Jim's site indicates it was in the initial listing.

MM

Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Just going over the morning grammar lesson, I mean weather discussions and thought I'd throw in my two cents, so, here's another definition for affect from the American Heritage dictionary:

v. tr: To put on a false show of; simulate: as in "affected a British accent."

Oh, and look, here's the origin- of "erudite"
Middle English erudit, from Latin rudtus, past participle of rudre, to instruct : -, ex-, ex- + rudis, rough, untaught; see "rude."

Just thought I'd share

I don't think you shared enough. The root "rude" in this case means untrained, which is not related to its current meaning, offensive. If you're erudite, literally, you've had rudeness taken out of you; in other words, you have been educated. My comment was simply another way of saying I was not being bombastic.

Cane Watcher
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:29 PM

Whats with the grammar school today? Its a message board, not a dissertation. Nobody cares about grammar or spelling as long as people can understand your point.

Shalafi
(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Whats with the grammar school today? Its a message board, not a dissertation. Nobody cares about grammar or spelling as long as people can understand your point.

Actually a dissertation is "a treatise advancing a new point of view resulting from research; usually a requirement for an advanced academic degree "

But I digress...there is no immediate danger and so straying from the topic of weather is somewhat common and allowed (within reason) I've been watching the board all morning and it's not very busy so I'm not sure why people get so upset if every single comment isn't about weather.
I personally am thrilled that I have no weather to worry about at the moment. Breathe, relax, enjoy life. When one is coming our way the off-topic chit-chat ends and serious discussion takes over...

Goosus
(Verified CFHC User)

And to think I was curious on how someone would get to almost 300 posts in a couple of weeks...

Ed G
(Weather Hobbyist)

I love the "ignore this user" option!

What, did I just say something?

Darn, I'm ignoring myself again.

Goosus
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:02 PM

Is it just me, or do the two waves (the one just exiting the African coast and the one right behind it) already appear to almost have a "spin" as soon as they hit the water? And they both appear to have banding features and feeder arms like you would see with a tropical system.

How is this possible? Are they already LLC's with weak upper and lower level circulation before they even make it to the ocean, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

On a related note, does anyone know the earliest storm (in reference to distance from the African Coast) to form?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:03 PM

The little circulation of Franklin in the satalite loop view of Franklin look like is drifting south west very slowley what do u guys think go take a look

Katie
(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:07 PM

Ed G, I am sorry, did you say something? kidding.

scottsvb
(Weather Master)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:15 PM

Yeah its funny now about franklin. He is wobbling alittle to the sw cause now the 2nd trough (very weak) isbypassing it. A stronger 1 will pick it up tomorrow. The NHC said there will be erratic motions for the next 24 hrs. It would be interesting if he just crawled SW or SSW for 12 hours. Then he might be near 29N and 71W late tonight and tomorrow morning. LOL then the next trough might also not pick him up. Those chances are 10% right now.. so likeiin the movie dumb and dumber,,,yes franklin still does have a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe.

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:17 PM

I think he needs to remember to take his convection with him or there
won't be anything left.

Shalafi
(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:19 PM

That's what we want isn't it? Die Franklin DIE!

Ryan
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

i'm not gonna get into it here or now, but unfortunately jim williams' site isn't entirely correct...we were clipped by Floyd ('99-met Cantore at Point Lookout), got seriously threatened by Isabel ('03) and received TS winds from Charley ('04). we were also affected by almost every TS/HURR last year with either rain, winds or both...

this year, with the super-high SSTs, i'm very worried about the potential for a long-tracking CV storm to make it's way up here...

in a more appropriate thread, later this season, i will do a full Long Island threat/potential update

that thread would be grreeaatttt...thanks for all your help..i will tune in especially knowing how warm the water here is..i was in the LI sound a couple days ago..i thought it was pee that made that water so warm, darn SST's..lol well i hope if anything comes are way ever that its at most, a minimal cat 1 or 2 sotrm..even tho i live on the top of a hill, anyone else from LI and where?? :?:

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:23 PM

I am a little confused, as always, as to how the NHC keeps saying that Franklin will most likely be gone in a few days and it's moving towards the ENE-NE and some of you say it's going the opposite direction. I see the loop and it appears to have a wobble towards the SW, but the NHC is not saying that. What am i missing here??

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:28 PM

FRANKLIN HAS BEEN MOVING ERRATICALLY OVER THE PAST SEVERAL
HOURS...BUT ITS GENERAL MOTION HAS BEEN TO THE EAST-NORTHEAST NEAR
5 MPH ... 7 KM/HR. A CONTINUED UNEVEN BUT GENERALLY
EAST-NORTHEASTWARD MOTION IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

From the NHC 5 am discussion

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:33 PM

I'd still rather be on Long Island than down here dealing with tropical stuff every other week. Any storm that may reach you would, in my opinion, be no stronger than what we Floridians know as "scattered afternoon and evening thundershowers". We get daily rain and thunderstorms down here that make most northerners cringe. Sometimes these storms are tropical storm strength, but without the low pressure area. We have gusts of 50-60mph during some of these "normal" afternoon storms. I hope you stay in the clear up there because it is possible i suppose for you to get a hurricane, but i wouldn't worry too much. Maybe it is the pee that makes LI Sound so warm!! LOL

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:33 PM

right know i wont call that an E/NE aw call it more of a south west motion very slowley

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:34 PM

Thanks Pam, i read that too, but it erractic movement doesn't mean SSW. Some are saying that it's already moving SSW, some have even been saying that since Friday night. Thanks for the information though!

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:36 PM

Yeah, the way I am understanding it is..
That there isnt much out there now to pull it out, so its kinda sitting around waiting
on the next trough to take it away.

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:38 PM

Pedro - I understand what you are saying and it makes sense, but why hasn't the NHC acknowledged that? They say it's NE or ENE. SW would be backwards from where it is now.

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:41 PM

Oh, i understand. Thanks again. Ready for the dust storm? That SAT view was cool as heck, did you see it??!!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)

Pressure dropping winds picking up.

URNT12 KNHC 251709
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 25/16:40:00Z
B. 31 deg 03 min N
069 deg 40 min W
C. NA mb NA m
D. 40 kt
E. 45 deg 109 nm
F. 116 deg 038 kt
G. 047 deg 051 nm
H. EXTRAP 999 mb
I. 23 C/ 223 m
J. 25 C/ 279 m
K. 25 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 1345 /01
O. 0.02 / 4 nm
P. AF308 0606A FRANKLIN OB 12
MAX FL WIND 52 KT E QUAD 15:21:50 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 1500 FT.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)

We are going to have to wait for the 5pm advisory may be something could change that we dont know yet

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:42 PM

Yes I saw a few of them in the past few days... it's weird cuz I have lived here
a good portion of my life (long time) and I don't remember hearing about them
before. Goes to show how much attention I was paying, huh?

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:43 PM

max flight winds found in the east quad. that would indicate a wesward movement, right?

Not necessarily. In general, the maximum winds are found to the right of the storm's motion -- which, given the ENE movement, would tend to favor from the ENE to WSW part of the storm. The east quadrant is in that range. Convection can also play a big role and, given the current convective pattern, it is not a big surprise to see the strongest winds on the east side of the storm. Doesn't have any implication towards the motion, however. --Clark

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:45 PM

Me too! I have never gone out to my car and found red dust on it or my plants and flowers. The only crud on the car is love bugs and thats usually in May.

MC Hurricane
(Registered User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:46 PM
Possible Fernanda or Harvey

There is a disturbance moving off the South America coast moving into the east pacific. It looks like it might cross Central America again. Here is the link:
Infrared Image

That's just convection that fired up over land, partially triggered by a tropical wave massage, partially by the standard convective cycle. Not a threat for development in either basin...which I note because the title of your post is rather misleading. --Clark

joepub1
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:46 PM

How about a little chit-chat about the tropics?

Gert is raining on Mexico and gone as far as a tropical system is concerned.
Franklin is in the process of doing a loop, a mini one at that. Really getting away from the convection, getting sheared to death. Wasn't there a storm a few years back that just sat almost in the same place as a named storm for a couple of weeks? He's been in no hurry to develop, move or die. Somebody tell him his 15 minutes are up!

Wave between 50-60 W has a few storms today, but was dealt a crappy hand. Franklin to the NW, all tangled up in a dust storm, and too far from the ITZ to draw some energy from it. It's purpose in life seems to be to clear the way for our next two features.

Wave at 30W has a 1014 mb low with it, so yes it is turning on a broad scale. But no, it has no LLC. I've seen nothing, but I could be wrong, about the wave(huge!!) that just cleared the African coast having a low with it. IMO I think if we get a storm, it's going to be one storm. They seem too close for both of them to develop.

I sure do hope we stay on topic here. I love this site, but the last two years I have quit coming here when this site got kinda freaked out. It's not a chat room, but more like a class room where you have a chance to gather your thoughts and write them out (as best you can) to share with people who enjoy the same subject, which happens to be the tropics.

A last note about Franklin; he looks like he has really split apart!! But then the NHC has said that some models kept taking a piece here, a piece there. We shall see.....

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:50 PM

What is the ITZ? I am new here and hear that used a lot. Can you explain what it is? Thanks!

The ITCZ is the intertropical convergence zone, where the trade winds converge near or north of the equator. It is where convection can often be found and is approximately a conduit by which tropical waves can move across the oceans. --Clark

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:53 PM
Re: Dust

Thanks Toho, I was going to say the same....this is not an unusual, or unusually strong episode, of this phenomena. Unfortunately, media who don't know better act like it is something new! A local paper in N Fl actually ran a story that led readers to conclude that Florida was about to have sandstorm/duststorm.

MM

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)

Oh, sorry if we were off topic, but i thought we were talking about the tropics? We were discussing whether or not Franklin will make a loop back towards the Bahamas and Florida. I was wondering why some said it was moving SW when the updates still have it going ENE. We figured we would wait till the 5pm comes out and see what they say.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)

LATE BREAKING NEWS SINCE THE
ADVISORY WAS TRANSMITTED...THE AIRCRAFT JUST REPORTED A CENTRAL
PRESSURE NEAR 1000 MB...SO THE CYCLONE COULD BE A LITTLE STRONGER
THAN WE WERE ESTIMATING.

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:55 PM

Hey Bob - I like your signature. Sox fan all my life! Anyway, back to the tropics. What do you think Franklin will do? I see it going NE or E and out to sea and dissipating in 72-96 hrs.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:55 PM

Lets not be obstreperous!(sp?)

Smile

MM

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:58 PM

Quote:

Hey Bob - I like your signature. Sox fan all my life! Anyway, back to the tropics. What do you think Franklin will do? I see it going NE or E and out to sea and dissipating in 72-96 hrs.

I love all Red Sox fans!I am not worried about Franklin,but it is a good storm to study........very interesting stuff.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 01:59 PM

Franklin appears to be getting stornger than it was this morning and pressure is dropping

Lisa NC
(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:00 PM

If you watch the vis sat loop, and place your mouse at center of cir, you will see the sw movement.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-vis-loop.html

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:03 PM
Re:E quad max winds= westward movement?

No, the HH aircraft does an X diagram flying across the storm, back and forth....they check each quadrant.....they indicate the max winds in each quad, one of which will end up (sometimes) being THE max wind...however, the observation of max winds has nothing to do with movement, other than, in a well organized storm, THE max winds will usually be in the 'right front' quandrant, which could be on different compass bearings, based on the actual movement of the storm.

If Franklin were (or is) moving SW, the right front quadrant would be the NW quadrant....however, the way Franklin is actually organized, I think most of the wind is east and s of the center.

He clearly is intensifying and becoming better organized, though.

MM

joepub1
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:03 PM

damejune2:

Near the equator, from about 5° north and 5° south, the northeast trade winds and southeast trade winds converge in a low pressure zone known as the Intertropical Convergence Zone or ITCZ. Solar heating in the region forces air to rise through convection which results in a plethora of precipitation. The ITCZ is a key component of the global circulation system.
Weather stations in the equatorial region experience precipitation up to 200 days each year, making the equatorial and ITC zones the wettest on the planet. The equatorial region lacks a dry season and is constantly hot and humid.
The location of the ITCZ varies throughout the year and while it remains near the equator, the ITCZ over land ventures farther north or south than the ITCZ over the oceans due to the variation in land temperatures. The location of the ITCZ can vary as much as 40° to 45° of latitude north or south of the equator based on the pattern of land and ocean.
In Africa, the ITCZ is located just south of the Sahel at about 10°, dumping rain on the region to the south of the desert.
The Intertropical Convergence Zone has been called the doldrums by sailors due to the lack of horizontal air movement (the air simply rises with convection). The ITCZ is also known as the Equatorial Convergence Zone or Intertropical Front.
There's a diurnal cycle to the precipitation in the ITCZ. Clouds form in the late morning and early afternoon hours and then by 3 to 4 p.m., the hottest time of the day, convectional thunderstorms form and precipitation begins.

If anyone has a problem with the grammer, blame Matt T. Rosenberg. He wrote it!

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:09 PM

Put the lat/long lines in and the projected track overlay, and you can see that he is making a small counterclockwise loop (cycloid). Also, looks like any intensification is on hold, as the convection is shearing away again.

He is actually moving SSE at the moment as he moves through the loop.

MM

ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:35 PM

So it still looks like Bermuda will be the last land Franklin could affect? Hopefully he will lurch far enough away that they don't have a problem with him.

I'm kinda surprised he's lasted this long, and even more surprised that the hurricane hunter plane found that the pressure is now 1000 - slightly stronger than before...

Maybe Franklin is hanging around till TD8 shows up... he doesn't want us getting complacent...

'shana

HanKFranK
(User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 02:38 PM
franklin stuck/waves coming down the pipeline

franklin is hung in a no-mans land west of bermuda. doing another cycloidal jig-bob like last night; strangely the storm's pressure has fallen to it's lowest point this morning even though the storm is severely sheared. northerly shear doesn't hurt tropical cyclones the way southwesterly shear does... when they're stuck. hard to say which set of models is right.. some are still holding it put for 24 hrs or so and then sliding some of the ridging from that huge upper high over the eastern u.s. overhead and backing it west... others taking it north or northeast. most aren't hardly moving franklin for the next 24, so it'll probably stay within 100 miles of 31/70 for the time being. since the storm will likely linger for the next few days, it's likely that we'll have another cyclone active.
the wave near 55w right now isn't very perky and there's no model support for it to deepen... the gyre has almost completely spun down now. twd has a weak low with it again, but probably no dice. i thought this would develop a few days back... didn't work. back near 32w a substantial wave with a low on its axis is plugging west.. drawing in subsidence like the one before it, but not nearly as much. a number of models are developing this one... it has a good chance to make harvey. of the globals have a weakness in the east atlantic and have tried turning it up.. probably rubbish. there should be some decent ridging across the basin for this one... weakness lingering near the atlantic seaboard for the next few days before backing inland. we'll see. another wave is just coming off.. looks rambunctions, too. some of the globals have a cutoff low in the east atlantic subtropics late this week/weekend... that'll have to be watched also if it verifies (fish spinner fodder).
with that wave chain over africa the first two weeks of august look to have a couple more systems in the offing.
HF 1937z25july

scottsvb
(Weather Master)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:02 PM
Re: franklin stuck/waves coming down the pipeline

Anyone watch JB video?? Mine seems to be stuck on his landfall points. Anyone else? zzzzzzzzzzzz

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:11 PM

I just watched it yes, whatcha wanna know?

schmoo
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:14 PM
OT question -- NHC Forecasters

Sorry this is off topic...
I am curious if being an NHC forecaster is considered an esteemed position in meterology.

Thanks!

scottsvb
(Weather Master)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:14 PM

I guess its my comp at home here. I dont get to see more then the first min of it. I hear the rest but his screen is stuck on lanfall points. Maybe jbs video is stuck. Watch again and let me know or anyone who recently watched it.

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:15 PM

Yes i just watched it, and it was fine for me, just 4 or 5 mins ago.

Ryan
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:25 PM
GERT

could Gert re-emerge and become an EPAC storm?

No. It's already dissipated across central Mexico; it'd have to move SW across some of the highest terrain on the continent to even make it to a region in the Pacific that might support something. --Clark

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:42 PM

Where can i view the JB video?

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 03:43 PM

http://weather.yahoo.com/vidindex/index.html

damejune2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 04:08 PM

Now i've heard mixed reviews about Joe Bastardi from some people on this site. Whats the deal with JB? No body trusts him because he has got the forecast wrong? I guess i am asking why some people have put him down.

Beaujolais
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 04:44 PM

Not only has he gotten this forecast wrong as well as a pelifera of previous forecasts WRONG, BUT 9 out of 10 storms that go into the GOM, He paints NEW ORLEANS as his BULLSEYE for LANDFALL!! I am beginning to think he hates us down here!!

CaneTrackerInSoFl
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 04:50 PM

Quote:

Not only has he gotten this forecast wrong as well as a pelifera of previous forecasts WRONG, BUT 9 out of 10 storms that go into the GOM, He paints NEW ORLEANS as his BULLSEYE for LANDFALL!! I am beginning to think he hates us down here!!

I don't see him pointing to New Orleans for the length I have been following him. And thats been since 2003 or so.

(Weather Guru)
Mon Jul 25 2005 04:53 PM

actually hes predicting alot more carolina and east coast north of fl hits..

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 04:57 PM
Re: OT question -- NHC Forecasters

Yes, it is considered an esteemed position and while the individual forecasters have their quirks, they are all great. My favorites are Stacy Stewart (great discussions) and Jack Beven (same, plus wide ranging interest in cyclones across the world). I've met both and they are great guys...but then, they all are. Some are just more 'colorful' than others.

All are 100% dedicated to their science/craft and to saving lives and protecting property. I think they are the creme de la creme of the profession (no offense to the HQ folks and the SPC).

MM

schmoo
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Jul 25 2005 05:06 PM
Re: OT question -- NHC Forecasters

thanks!
i assumed so and was curious more than anything

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 05:43 PM
Re: NHC Pages

Anyone that has contacts want to bug NHC and tell them that their mime types are messed up for SHTML and HTML?

Example page: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWOAT+shtml/252120.shtml
Is displaying as text rather than being processed as HTML.

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Mon Jul 25 2005 05:54 PM

That's the way they want it -- HTML formatting around the rest of the page, with the actual advisory packages coming out as "plain" text. Nothing to change there...

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 06:15 PM

Clearly not seeing what I'm seeing Clark.

And now I got back...and it's correct. Strange.

It was all HTML tags before - which meant that the server was transmitting it as text/text rather than text/html. I got the same thing this morning on some of their pages.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 06:57 PM

Latest vis sat loop shows the center is still a bit transient - rotating around a more central point. Also seeing very short-lived surface vortices. Convection flare-up East of center. Franklin is certainly dazed and confused. On another note, the dust has arrived over Florida.

Major7
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Jul 25 2005 07:08 PM

Yes, and we had some huge thunderstorms here in SOFLO. Lightning flashing and thunder booming a while back, but all seems to have drifted into the Atlantic.

BTW, the sunrise this morning looked normal Perhaps the sunset will be a little more colorful.
However, most of the dust seems to be south of us still, so the effect of the dust is not yet affecting us.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 07:14 PM

Sky has become increasingly milky/hazey throughout the day around here. Also, have slightly scratchy throat (I work outdoors all day).

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Mon Jul 25 2005 07:46 PM

Saharan dust layer is still a couple of days away; it's progress has been held up by a trough plus Franklin hanging around just off of the east coast.

Track it using the UWisconsin Saharan air layer tracking product: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/wavetrak/winds/m8g10split.html. Note that not everything in red is Saharan dust; just that travelling across the Atlantic. The rest is very dry air that the algorithm they use is picking up, such as that off of the west coast of the US.

Most of what you are seeing today is just haze, created by the stagnant air flow in association with the upper-level area of high pressure. With sinking motion and light winds throughout the atmosphere (nor any rain to help things), there's not a whole lot to move out various particulate matter in the air.

zacros
(Weather Hobbyist)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:14 PM

Is it just me, or is Franklin trying to wrap some of its convection around the northern side of the storm? Most of the convection is still on the east side, but he seems to keep trying to pull it together. I read earlier that the shear is expected to subside in the near future. If Franklin hangs around for another day or so where he is located now, could he possibly strengthen some more?

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:32 PM

LOL,, the dust is not even here and people are freaking out, Tell me about suggestion.......

FlaMommy
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:34 PM
Shuttle launch...

hi i hate to go off topic...but does anyone know what channel we can watch the shuttle launch tommorrow morning?...thanks

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:58 PM
Re: Shuttle launch...

If you can get the NASA channel it will definately be on there. If you don't get it with your cable (or don't have cable...like me) you can watch it here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Wxwatcher2
(Storm Tracker)
Mon Jul 25 2005 08:58 PM

All the Cable News Channels as well as NASA Select TV and most of the Local channels. In other words, you'll have to work at not seeing it. LOL

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:03 PM

Well, somebody's "dust" is here. I've seen it too many times for it to just be stagnant haze. On the bright side (if you can call it that), the humidity is down about 15% from what it has been.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:07 PM

Not "freaking out" here. Just telling what I see.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:48 PM

it should be on every news channel and local news channels as well.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:49 PM

Quote:

All the Cable News Channels as well as NASA Select TV and most of the Local channels. In other words, you'll have to work at not seeing it. LOL

I'll be at work. Unless I can see it through the, ahem, haze, I'll just have to watch it on the news when I get home.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:53 PM

Anyone think Franklin can strenghten, turn southwest and west and head toward south florida with the ridge building after the trough???

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:57 PM

post deleted

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 09:57 PM

post deleted

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:01 PM

It's too far North and East and there is another trough digging SEastward toward it. Interesting...the latest IR sat loop indicates that the convection is beginning to wrap around the LLC.

Unregistered User
(Unregistered)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:23 PM

A WEAK LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION ROTATING ON THE N SIDE OF
FRANKLIN.. HINTING THAT THERE MAY BE MORE THAN ONE CENTER OF IN
THIS DISORGANIZED SYSTEM. UPPER WINDS DO NOT LOOK FAVORABLE FOR
MUCH STRENGTHENING NOW WITH AN UPPER LOW JUST TO THE W OF THE
CYCLONE PROVIDING WLY SHEAR.

Per NHC................

Tazmanian93
(Weather Master)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:26 PM

I think if you look 72 hours or so out the best shot is near Hatteras. Looking at the 250 MB's, it looks like there may be an opportunity for it to come back. Florida, I would say no.

Tazmanian93
(Weather Master)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:37 PM

WOW, look at the action coming off the coast, holy cow. I have a Sat Image w/o the link, how can I paste the pic?

Please put the URL here. Don't post the pic. Thanks

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:41 PM
Deleted Posts

Please excuse the blank posts above. Not the posters!

I had to erase the content to preserve the continuity of the thread.

***Banhammer is armed***

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:47 PM
Franklin Update

TROPICAL STORM FRANKLIN DISCUSSION NUMBER 19
11 PM EDT MON JUL 25 2005 edited~danielw

FRANKLIN HAS UNDERGONE ANOTHER STRUCTURAL CHANGE THIS EVENING. A NEW VORTICITY CENTER APPEARED FROM UNDER THE CONVECTION EAST OF THE
MAIN CIRCULATION CENTER...AND IT AND THE MAIN CENTER ARE ROTATING AROUND EACH OTHER. THE CENTER TRACKED EARLIER IS CURRENTLY THE MOST INVOLVED WITH CONVECTION...SO THAT CENTER POSITION IS USED IN
THIS ADVISORY.
HOWEVER...THE APPEARANCE OF THE SECONDARY VORTICITY CENTER SUGGESTS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE OVERALL SYSTEM MAY REFORM
DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO...OR THAT A MEAN CIRCULATION CENTER MAY BECOME MORE APPROPRIATE FOR TRACKING. THE INITIAL INTENSITY REMAINS 35 KT BASED ON SATELLITE ESTIMATES OF 35 KT FROM TAFB AND AFWA...AND 30 KT FROM SAB.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/260235.shtml

Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:56 PM
Tropiocal Wave development

From NHC TAFB:

CENTRAL ATLC TROPICAL WAVE ALONG 32W/33W S OF 22N MOVING W 15-20
KT WITH A 1014 MB LOW ALONG THE WAVE NEAR 11N. THE LAST VISIBLE
SATELLITE PICTURES SHOWED A LARGE CIRCULATION ASSOCIATED WITH
THE WAVE WITH NO WELL-DEFINED CENTER. A RECENT QUIKSCAT
CONFIRMS THE LOCATION OF THE LOW THOUGH WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH
THE FEATURE ARE LESS THAN 20 KT. THERE IS A BIT OF DRY AIR
ENTRAINED INTO THE NORTHERN PART OF THE WAVE THAT IS PROBABLY
INHIBITING DEVELOPMENT AS ANY TSTMS HAVE BEEN WEAK AND
SHORT-LIVED. HOWEVER CONVECTION HAS BEEN INCREASING A LITTLE
TONIGHT NEAR THE CENTER WITH WIDELY SCATTERED MODERATE
CONVECTION FROM 8N-12N BETWEEN 33W-40W. COMPUTER MODELS SUGGEST
VERTICAL WIND SHEAR WILL REMAIN LOW AS THE WAVE MOVES WESTWARD
AND THE WAVE MAY HAVE SOME POTENTIAL FOR DEVELOPMENT AFTER IT
ENTERS WARMER WATERS W OF 40W.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Jul 25 2005 10:59 PM
New Thread

Mike has posted a New Thread. Please post there. Thanks

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Tue Jul 26 2005 05:33 PM
Re: Deleted Posts

Quote:

Please excuse the blank posts above. Not the posters!

I had to erase the content to preserve the continuity of the thread.

***Banhammer is armed***

I was wondering if things would get locked down again. Good move considering the circumstances. Thanks!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center