MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sun Aug 01 2010 12:31 PM
Colin Regenerates

6 PM EDT Update, Aug 5, 2010
Tropical Storm Colin has regenerated after recon aircraft found tropical storm force winds and a circulation tonight.

Tropical Storm Warnings are up for Bermuda as the forecast track takes it just west of the island Saturday night.
It is forecast to stay under hurricane strength before extratropical transition in about 4 days.

The storm is not a direct threat to the US Mainland.

{{StormLinks|Colin|04|4|2010|1|Colin}}
{{StormLinks|92L|92|5|2010|2|92L}}
{{StormLinks|93L|93|6|2010|2|93L}}
{{StormCarib}}

7 AM EDT Update, Aug 5, 2010
The Tropical Atlantic continues the downturn which will probably last until the week of August 15th. In the meantime, though, the remnants of Colin seemed to organize some yesterday only to be somewhat squashed again today.

Colorado State's (Bill Gray and Phil Klotzbach) predictions were updated yesterday, and they are unchanged with 18 named storms, 10 hurricanes, and 5 majors. So far there have been 3 named storms and 1 hurricane, which leaves 15 more named storms, 9 more hurricanes, and 5 majors still to come according to them. There is still plenty to suggest the peak of the season will be active, and that is yet to come.

Regeneration of Colin may not occur, but if it were to it would be tonight at the earliest, with it being more likely toward the weekend. It's still currently at a 40% chance to regenerate. Odds still greatly favor it going out to sea regardless of development.

The wave in the Caribbean, on the other hand, fell apart overnight and chances for development will likely be dropping, and may never develop.

Another area in the Central Atlantic could be worth watching over the weekend or next week, but the overall set up for storms doesn't improve until at or just after mid August.

9 PM EDT Update, Aug 3, 2010
The wave in the Eastern Caribbean Sea has been designated Invest 92L.

This Area being highlighted is to the Southwest of Puerto Rico, and will have to be watched over the next few days.

6 PM EDT Update, Aug 3, 2010
Tropical Storm Colin became a Tropical Storm this morning, and after finding no evidence of a closed circulation from buoy reports this afternoon, the National Hurricane Center has issued the last advisory on Colin. But interestingly, forecasts it to Regain Tropical Depression status this weekend.

The center of Colin was ripped out by the influence of shear caused by a upper level (TUTT) low to the northwest of it, conditions don't begin to improve for it until Thursday/Friday or perhaps even in to the weekend. It will be tracked as a low pressure area, but will not have advisories unless it regains some strength.

The track still remains out to sea, because of the same TUTT area and weakness it has helped to generate. Those in the Carolinas will want to watch the area in case it regenerates, but odds are it won't have any direct affect.

The area in the East Caribbean is close to South America, which is preventing any development, and likely won't develop much at all, however the area closer to Puerto Rico may take over and if that does it may have to be watched. Outside of this, there isn't anything in the short term that could develop. Mid August is when most of the historical activity happens, and we'll be watching closely then for development.

6:15 AM EDT Update, Aug 3, 2010
Tropical Storm Colin has formed and odds are increasing that it will stay out to sea. Colin may be approaching some rather hostile conditions (shear along with a TUTT) over the next few days, and will have little chance to strengthen beyond a Tropical Storm before getting there.

The Northeastern Caribbean, Bermuda and North Carolina will want to watch for changes in the track forecast, but odds are they will not be directly affected. Outside of that, there isn't much evidence to suggest further westward at this time. So those in other areas may want to watch it for any drastic changes in track, but that isn't likely.

The area in the Eastern Caribbean may form later in the week if it persists into the Western Caribbean, it currently isn't being tracked as an Invest.

{{StormCarib}}

11AM EDT Update, Aug 2, 2010
Invest 91L has been upgraded to the fourth Tropical Depression of the 2010 season. TD #4 is located well to the east of the Caribbean Islands moving to the west northwest at 17mph with maximum sustained winds of 35mph and a central pressure of 1006MB. Motion should continue to the west northwest with an eventual increase in forward speed. Additional intensification to Tropical Storm strength is likely. Although current track projections keep the system to the northeast of the Caribbean islands, residents of the northern islands should still closely monitor the development and progress of TD #4 over the next few days.
ED

7AM EDT Update 2 August 2010
The wave in the central Caribbean, marked as 91L, had a shot yesterday at becoming a depression, but a reliable indicator of a center of circulation could not be found. Today it may become a depression if that can be found.

Odds still slightly favor this system going out to sea, but much of it centers on if the system starts to move more northward or more westward.

If the system remains weak, or does not develop it will likely slip further west, shifting the forecasting model trends in general more toward the west as well. But until the system develops (or doesn't) using them to determine much other than comparing the short term trends to reality. Beyond that, what was written yesterday is pretty much the same.

If it starts moving more northerly, then out to sea becomes even more likely.

Those in the northeastern Caribbean will want to watch this very close, especially if the system slips further westward, and those in the Bahamas, Bermuda, Florida, and Southeast Coast up into the Carolinas may want to check back in a few days.

The is another wave, south and east of 91L that may be worth watching later as well.

Original Update
The wave in the Central Atlantic (redesignated 91L) now has a 60% chance for development in the next 48 hours, and if it does, tomorrow or Tuesday would be the best bet.

The odds are now that it will approach the northeastern Caribbean sometime later this week (most likely Wednesday/Thursday) and may just miss or clip it to the north, the system has a fairly slow forward motion right now.

It is still too far out to make a determination beyond that, but there's enough of a toss up (as far as remaining out to sea vs more westward) that it can't be ignored. If the system remains weaker, it may go further south into the Caribbean or over most of the islands and get torn up over Hispaniola. If it strengthens or forms earlier the more northerly situation is likely. Atmospheric conditions are very favorable for the latter.

What are the odds favoring now? Strengthening and the more northerly route. Although shear will increase as it gets closer to the islands which likely will keep it from being too strong until past the northeastern Caribbean.

Since the odds are more favorable for the northerly route, a key to the future track may be the presence of two upper ridges, one west of Bermuda and another over the southern plain states. If a weakness exists offshore the Carolinas, that would be what drags the wave more northerly, and if it barely misses the northeastern Caribbean, would be the cause. What's not happening there would likely be enough to continue to pull it out to sea. What happens after that is the weakness gets plugged, which completes the ridge and generally drags it more westward, which is why those in Florida would want to watch it. Chances for a gulf impact without Florida are low currently, but not non-existent. .

It will take until it develops and trends over the next few days to up the odds in any particular situation though. It is still very early, and nothing has developed yet. However it is August now, and historically this is the time to be very careful about systems such as these. All said and done, the odds still slightly favor it going out to sea.

Who will need to watch the system over the next week or so if it does develop? Northeastern Caribbean. Bahamas, Florida (particularly east central and south Florida), and the southeast Coast up to the Carolinas. The good news is that shear closer toward the Caribbean goes up, which will likely keep the system from getting too strong.

When? (Estimates can change if the forward motion of the system changes)
If it affects Northeast Caribbean?, for them Wednesday/Thursday
If it affects Bahamas? Saturday
If it affects Florida/East Coast? Sunday/Monday (next week)

typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Sun Aug 01 2010 03:17 PM
Re: Area in Central Atlantic May Develop over the Next Few Days

I believe some re-analysis will prove that 91L is in fact the original after all, and the recently emerged TW from Africa confused the maelstrom and made it difficult to determine for approximately 36 hours, which entity was dominate. First we had a soon-to-be 90L with a -80C top region, and some sufficient enough banding to warrant "yellow" coding. Then, the wave comes off Africa and bullies it's way into the region, and seeds of 90L seemed to yield to that arrival... getting temporarily lost, such that when 90L finally got around to being assigned, it was done so further E - perhaps inappropriately associated with a proving to be non-genesis TW.

The reason I speculate that is because the convection associated with that follow-up wave appeared to wane actually, and then this new persistent convective region re-materialized further W with what originally sparked the yellow coding - I believe in a discrete sense that should be deemed the actual 90L in conserving entities, because that is what has really survived the interaction.

That said, the region is also kissed in general by an impressive monsoonal ITCZ trough that is somewhat below normal surface pressure in that particular region ... acquiring cyclonic banding as we type. There does not appear to be any direct inhibitors to development; I thought easterly shear may have an impact but that does not seem to be evolving.

The longer term steering field appears to be fairly locked in the Global Numerical Models (GFS/GGEM...etc), and is understandable. There is a positive phase state in the North Atlantic Oscillation currently underway, and forecast to remain that way in the 21 member GFS ensemble mean. What this teleconnection supports is stronger rather than weaker subtropical ridge presence over the next 5-7days, across the breadth of the N Atlantic. Barring any anomalies relative to, a generalized W to WNW track motion of "91L" (which may very well be a depression sometime over the next 2 days) right out through any meaningful time range of prediction (obviously beyond D4 we have to take even a tightly clustered modeled solution with a degree of incredulity) should be expected.

Still, populations in the NE Caribbean through the Puerto Rico archipelago and up through the Bahamas should monitor this over the next few days.

It should be noted that the 00z ECMWF solution offered an intense hurricane solution entering the SE Bahama archipelago in 6 days.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Aug 01 2010 04:27 PM

I noticed the same fast moving Wave catching or phasing with the more western Wave. I'm not particularly impressed by the system other than it's persistant convection. The area appears on IR imagery to be 'riding the wave' on the SW edge of the SAL dust cloud. Similar to a reverse Bow Echo or the letter C.
Example- ,C (the comma is the system and C is the SAL)

NHC has bumped the formation possibility up to 60% as of 8 AM EDT this morning. But they are calling the system nearly stationary. ( Stationary usually means movement less than 7 mph in NWS terms )

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Sun Aug 01 2010 04:38 PM

I'm not sure if this is the fast moving 2nd wave that caught up with 1st wave. Heavy rain and thunderstorms in Dakar for 5 hours.

Dakar, Senegal Africa weather observation during the worst of the weather last night. 16 hours ago.

METAR text: GOOY 010109Z 10012G25KT 3000 R36/1000VP1500 SQ TSRA BKN013 SCT030CB OVC120 24/23 Q1012 TEMPO 1000 +RA
Conditions at: GOOY (DAKAR/YOFF, SN) observed 0109 UTC 01 August 2010
Temperature: 24.0°C (75°F)
Dewpoint: 23.0°C (73°F) [RH = 94%]
Pressure (altimeter): 29.88 inches Hg (1012.0 mb)
Winds: from the E (100 degrees) at 14 MPH (12 knots; 6.2 m/s)
gusting to 29 MPH (25 knots; 13.0 m/s)
Visibility: 1.86 miles (2.99 km)

Ceiling: 1300 feet AGL
Clouds: broken clouds at 1300 feet AGL
scattered clouds at 3000 feet AGL
overcast cloud deck at 12000 feet AGL
Weather: TSRA SQ (rain associated with thunderstorm(s), squal)

WesnWylie
(Weather Guru)
Sun Aug 01 2010 04:44 PM

In my opinion, I think 91L is looking pretty good right now. I can see a spin developing within the convection. I don't know if it is a mid or low-level, though. I think it will continue its movement toward the west-northwest for the next day or so, perhaps speeding up a bit. I have a feeling that the NHC will hold the 60% chance for development or even bump it to 70% for the 1:00 p.m. CDT update.

Beaumont, TX
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Aug 01 2010 05:50 PM

91L is looking good right now and NHC has upped the chance of development to 80%. I think we may be looking at advisories later in the day or tomorrow.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Sun Aug 01 2010 06:44 PM

They may be making the call based on microwave imagery, but convection seems to be on the decline at the moment, so it's really up in the air if they call it this afternoon, I still think it will be tomorrow before it becomes a depression, but if they do so early it won't matter all that much.

NewWatcher
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Aug 01 2010 06:51 PM

Not much difference, but it does help when the NHC declares it a TD because then we will have better modeling and soon, Recon, and ultimately a much better idea where on when on this invest.

Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Aug 01 2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

They may be making the call based on microwave imagery, but convection seems to be on the decline at the moment, so it's really up in the air if they call it this afternoon, I still think it will be tomorrow before it becomes a depression, but if they do so early it won't matter all that much.

Look again. Convection is very impressive, and on the upswing. It's not clear to me if the convection is near the LLC, though. My guess is that the 8pm TWO will leave it at 80%, but with the way the NHC has been treating these things of late, it could go down to 60-70, or up to 90. I think they'll wait until sunrise to initiate advisories.

Update: 8pm TWO is out... and... they went with 90%, saying "a tropical depression could form at any time".

WesnWylie
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 02 2010 12:36 AM

Looking at the satellite trends, I wonder if the center will be further east than previously thought. I do think the NHC made a good call on raising the chance to 90% because 91L is doing really well right now. I was kind of worried that the SAL could get caught up within 91L, but it seems to be having no impact at this time.

docrod
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Aug 02 2010 03:37 AM

Quote:

Looking at the satellite trends, I wonder if the center will be further east than previously thought. I do think the NHC made a good call on raising the chance to 90% because 91L is doing really well right now. I was kind of worried that the SAL could get caught up within 91L, but it seems to be having no impact at this time.

Saw that eastern swirl prior to sunset but there was a lot of convection to the west (later) as well. Time will tell. We should certainly have a name before Monday is out. The forecast track to the north of the leewards seems to be firming up. I'm all in favour of that but having been through the flooding of Georges in the Keys I will be ready.

srquirrely
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Aug 02 2010 02:42 PM
Re: Two Areas in the Central Atlantic

It's o4 now. August off to a big start...

WeatherNut
(Weather Master)
Mon Aug 02 2010 03:12 PM

Yes and I believe the next model runs are going to be to the left. The weakness they were forecasting is not materializing. The question now is how far TD4 stays from the area to its east. Too close and it robs energy from TD4. Also, how strong the system gets could matter. A strong system could split the trough ahead with one area going SW and the other pulling N. I have seen this before, and there is some indication on WVI that this could happen. A weak system probably wont make it. Welcome to August

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Aug 02 2010 03:31 PM

Current NHC Cone of certainty would lead us to believe that TD 4 will be a fish spinner.
The model runs that I've seen this morning are 50/ 50 on a track that brushes the Outer Banks and then races off toward the NE.

Another separate model sends TD 4 into the GOM and 92L moves into a fish spinner track. Hmmm. Are the models as confused as I am?

Model suite, as of two hours ago, only had one model taking a hard left turn into the NE Caribbean. Seems like it was a GFS Ensemble member.

WeatherNut
(Weather Master)
Mon Aug 02 2010 04:43 PM

I dont see this as a fish spinner right now, but the intensity gains in the next 48hrs will be critical. A stronger storm will stay further south because it will further split the trough. A weak system tends to get sucked north (I know this is counter to what you would normally think with strong storms moving more poleward). Dry air could be a problem but there is an upper high giving outflow support if it can generate some convection. Key West to the Outer Banks are all fair game at this point so stay tuned and stay informed. I still think the 2pm (est) model runs will move left.

Robert
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Aug 02 2010 05:43 PM

Umm wow?? Care to enlighten me more i ve been doing this for eighteen years and i think thats the first time i have ever herd anyone say the stronger storm will stay south givin the model output im looking at, usually it the weeker system that gets under the trought to explode on the other side but even now i dont really see that happening unless it stay weak ( returning to an open wave ala alex june 2010) and gets in to the gulf. if ends up east of the bahamas the high still looks to weak to get key west in the picture ill give you north carolina at moment.

Robert
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Aug 02 2010 05:48 PM
Hey Ed

Just givin a shout out to my good man Ed Dunham Thanks for keeping the site alive for i think what must be at least 12 years now.

scottsvb
(Weather Master)
Mon Aug 02 2010 06:06 PM
Re: Hey Ed

Right now TD 4 is a small system and will continue on its WNW motion for awhile. The
weakness isnt there yet and it will move probably close to the eastern Bahamas in 5 days.

We don't know how strong this trough coming off the coast will be during the weekend. Usually
they are overdone. The models will go back and forth until they come into agreement on the
midlevel flow off the SE US in the next couple of days.

A weaker system in the near term will move thru the NE Lessar Antilles while
a stronger system will brush them to its north in 3 days.

allan
(Weather Master)
Mon Aug 02 2010 06:18 PM
Attachment

TD4 will have some problems strengthening due to dry air and high wind shear in its path caused by the TUTT near Bermuda. The TUTT stretches out a nice band of wind shear extending from north of the system to Western Caribbean. This should keep a damper on development to a Hurricane, though freaky things have happened and I'm not ruling out a minimal Hurricane. Conditions should remain somewhat conducive until it reaches the islands. Definitely a TS, but unsure on a Hurricane at this point due to dry air. I am 80% confident that TD4 will continue a WNW movement for the next 2-3 days. This should have it just skimming the islands and Puerto Rico. After that, about 4-5 days out is extremely uncertain and many scenarios can happen, including the storm catching a trough, moving out to sea. Again it is NOT set in stone that TD4 recurves and models will likely go from left ot right at times over the next few days until we get a consistent pattern., with the NAO becoming positive and the upward motion of the MJO coming back in to the big picture, which causes more ridging then troughs, I am not at all convinced this will go out to sea. It's just too early, I'd give it a good 2-3 days until we know what will happen. Attaching my first run on TD4 up above.

Robert
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Aug 02 2010 06:26 PM

Sorry to get off topic but im more interested in what is hitting nicarauga right now???? think there should be a post about this in diffrent forum and why the nhc isnt giving detailes about these systems for historical record. I know the reason and it is because the nhc is there to serve and protect they dont have the fiscal means to go chasing after every depresion that develops, and it sadens me from a scientific point of view

scottsvb
(Weather Master)
Mon Aug 02 2010 07:07 PM

Just a tropical wave entering central america... nothing more.

WesnWylie
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 02 2010 07:10 PM
Re: Tropical Depression #4 Forms in Central Atlantic

I'm curious why the NHC has not highlighted the area to the east-southeast of TD 4 for development. It looks like it is organizing this afternoon. It is in an area of low shear, and there does not appear do be much dry air getting in the way of it.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Mon Aug 02 2010 07:45 PM

TD 4 appears to be moving just north of due west or about 285 degrees at nearly 20 mph. Based on visible satellite imagery earlier today. Possibly a 290 degree movement but that would be a stretch in my opinion.

Jasonch
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Aug 02 2010 07:51 PM

TD is looking a little ragged don't you think. It look better earlier.

Doombot!
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 02 2010 07:52 PM

Looks like just about all the 18:00 guidance is ieft of NHC. It should be interesting to see how left they go on this one. Anyone know if any upper level sample missions are scheduled yet?

Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Mon Aug 02 2010 08:26 PM

It appears that NHC hopes to schedule a mission out of St. Croix, U.S.V.I. on Tuesday evening.
"SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: POSSIBLE NOAA G-IV
SURVEILLANCE MISSION OUT OF TISX AROUND CENTRAL
ATLANTIC SYSTEM FOR 04/0000Z IF IT DEVELOPS."

The system is moving so fast to the west northwest (indeed at about 285 degrees) that finding a center is indeed a challenge. At 19Z a rough centerpoint location for the cyclone was 13.0N 42.8W - that translates to a forward speed of about 25mph.

One short comment: Mike is the one that has kept the site going - the rest of us are just here to lend a hand. Now I'll put on my 'stern Mod' hat and request that we stay on topic.

With a good likelyhood that the fast forward motion will continue for a few days, intensification is going to be difficult to achieve. That fact alone is probably going to motivate track guidance adjustments to the left.
ED

doug
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Aug 02 2010 09:02 PM

I think the area SE of TD4 is still partially imbedded in the ITCZ.

typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Mon Aug 02 2010 10:22 PM

I am also noticing that SAL is getting precariously close by N of the circulation. If that should get ingested into the inflow it could act as an inhibitor.

I wouldn't claim to know all the physical variables these models are handling but it is interesting that the tropical models have rather recently backed off on the depthiness of this system as it trundles along. Perhaps there is some environmental concern there.

John

Frank S
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 03 2010 01:06 AM

I am a novice on the topic and I have a very generalized question, I am a resident of Long Island NY. What are the chances of TD4 tracking this way?

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Tue Aug 03 2010 01:11 AM

At 04/00Z it looks like the center is having trouble staying with its convection with quite a bit of the convection to the east of the center. Approximate position at 00Z was 13.1N 44.1W moving west (280 degrees) at 20mph. NHC position at 00Z was 13.4N 44.1W with pressure up a little at 1007MB.
ED

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Tue Aug 03 2010 01:26 AM

At day 5 in their forecast, NHC will note that their margin of error is 250 to 300 miles on average. Long Island is about 10 days away if it were to head that way. I cannot fathom what the margin of error would be at 10 days - perhaps as much as 1,000 miles in some situations.

Anyway, CFHC would suggest that you just continue to monitor the system and see how it evolves. Any 10-day forecast for any location, tropical or not, would not be a forecast - it would be wild speculation - and we would rather not get into that on this site. For this particular system there is no guarantee that it will even survive for another week. Glad to have you with us - browse through some of the posts from previous seasons and you'll get an idea of why CFHC is known as 'Hurricanes Without The Hype'.
ED

Frank S
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 03 2010 01:51 AM

Thank You, Glad to be here.

orlandoweather
(Registered User)
Tue Aug 03 2010 02:29 AM

TD 4 looks like its going to fast to get any more stonger tonight.... does anyone konw why gfs is showing a hurricane in the gulf next week ?? is this likely?....... love this site glad to be a part of it

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Tue Aug 03 2010 02:38 AM

It could be the system that NHC is highlighting in the eastern Caribbean. There is a thread on this in the Forecast Lounge.
ED

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 03 2010 04:19 AM

Yeah its should be that wave in eastern carb. and it looks like it will be trouble in about 4-5 days in central and western caribbean!

JoshuaK
(Weather Guru)
Tue Aug 03 2010 05:30 AM

That area in the Caribbean is almost starting to look more impressive than TD#4 right now. There appears to be a CoC in which convection is firing up around, centered at about 12.5N and 66W. TD#4 is maintaining convection around it's center, but not doing much else in the way of organizing.

Jasonch
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 03 2010 08:35 AM

are the models still hinting at a possible hurricane in the gulf? Where did this come from?

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Tue Aug 03 2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

are the models still hinting at a possible hurricane in the gulf? Where did this come from?

This is probably from the Eastern Caribbean Disturbance, which they now have going into the Yucatan/Belize. Either way it's just an indicator of an area to watch, but a gulf hurricane out of this is not likely to happen.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Tue Aug 03 2010 05:06 PM
Tropical Storm Colin

Excerpt from the latest NHC Discussion:

THE NEW FORECAST TRACK IS SHIFTED
60-90 N MI TO THE SOUTHWEST BASED ON THE INITIAL POSITION AND
MOTION. IT IS IN BEST AGREEMENT WITH THE ECMWF AND LIES TO THE
LEFT OF THE CONSENSUS MODELS AND THE CENTER OF THE GUIDANCE
ENVELOPE.

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...14.2N 49.5W
ABOUT 840 MI...1355 KM ESE OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 24 MPH...39 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB...29.71 INCHES
(24 mph...! out running the convection?) ~danielw

There is a light discussion of the models in the Colin Forecast Lounge.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Tue Aug 03 2010 05:49 PM
Re: Tropical Storm Colin

Colin is falling apart, and the old center is racing northwest away from the convection, it will likely be downgraded later this afternoon. Once conditions around it improve it has a shot to come back, but I think it's out for a while. Which may not be until Thursday.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Tue Aug 03 2010 05:56 PM

That transition would lend to the southern track being more correct.
This could be both good and bad. Depending on how far south the system drifts and whether it can reorganise..

A drift to the west would place the system in the Hurricane graveyard of the Caribbean.

WeatherNut
(Weather Master)
Tue Aug 03 2010 06:38 PM

It looks like the energy from Colin is being displaced to the trough of low pressure that has preceded Colin across the Atlantic. The GFS had something like this late last week with a north system and a south system (which was dismissed as the GFS's inability to bundle the energy). Perhaps this is what is verifying out right now. If there ends up being 2 systems, maybe its the southern part that is being seen in the gulf late in the week

WesnWylie
(Weather Guru)
Tue Aug 03 2010 07:10 PM

I'm starting to wonder that myself. If TS Colin goes back to a tropical depression, I wonder if it will not be swept to the northwest but remain in a westerly direction as it progresses into the Caribbean. It almost looks as if the convection to the northwest of Colin is being aided by the southwesterly shear from the upper-level low to its west.

JoshuaK
(Weather Guru)
Tue Aug 03 2010 07:57 PM

I can't even find any spin at all associated with any of the convection or otherwise. I'm thinking Colin either has dissipated or degenerated into an open wave. The only rotation I can find is an odd area of clockwise rotation on the NE edge of the convection on the SE corner of the system area.

Jasonch
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 03 2010 08:47 PM

colin has dissapated and the NHC will no longer issue advisories unless regeneration occurs. This season was way overdone. Nothing out there has a chance to get going because of the conditions.

Ed in Va
(Weather Master)
Tue Aug 03 2010 08:49 PM

Interesting though that the NHC calls for it to regain "depression" status by Sunday, so maybe we haven't heard the last of Colin.

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 03 2010 08:52 PM
Attachment

Appears to me that the GFS takes the open wave and misses the weakness and turns it towards the west towards Northern Florida at the end of the 5-7 day forecast period.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 03 2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

colin has dissapated and the NHC will no longer issue advisories unless regeneration occurs. This season was way overdone. Nothing out there has a chance to get going because of the conditions.

We have a long way to go,and conditions can change at anytime.Remember most hurricanes happen in Sept.

Jasonch
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 03 2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We have a long way to go,and conditions can change at anytime.Remember most hurricanes happen in Sept.

I know things can change at anytime and usually if my area is going to get affected by a hurricane it is usually sept. But still the conditions are just not conducive for development. Take for instance 2009 season just about every storm that was out just had a very difficult time getting going because of to much shear and to much dry air. Remember this year was to be the exact opposite no shear and very moist air and that has yet to materialize.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 03 2010 09:55 PM

At 5pm NHC still has it as a TS.What is going on?

Jasonch
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 03 2010 09:58 PM

no longer a T.S it was just moving to quickly that the center out ran the convection.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 03 2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

no longer a T.S it was just moving to quickly that the center out ran the convection.

Then why is the NHC showing it as a TS?

Jasonch
(Weather Watcher)
Tue Aug 03 2010 10:27 PM

it is the last advisory. I guess they will update the graphics later.

ftlaudbob
(Storm Chaser)
Tue Aug 03 2010 10:43 PM

Not to beat a dead horse,but the graphics are from the latest adv. @5pm.

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Tue Aug 03 2010 10:56 PM

Mainly because it's not even a depression, when storms have turned into lows, the last advisory always repeats what the storm was prior to the last advisory, most of the time it's a depression at the time, but some cases it isn't Colin is such a case. So the advisory just restates it to finalize it.

It's gone, and not incredibly likely to come back as a Storm (At least for another 6 years), the hurricane center does forecast a chance of it coming back at the tail end of the discussion, but it's not a sure thing. The forward motion of 35MPH is a clear indicator of that.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Tue Aug 03 2010 11:26 PM

Ok, let me try this. Normally a hurricane degenerates into a tropical storm and a tropical storm degenerates into a tropical depression at the end of the storm's life cycle as a tropical entity. The last bulletin on Alex said "Tropical Depression Alex..." and ditto for Bonnie:

"ZCZC MIATCPAT3 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
BULLETIN
TROPICAL DEPRESSION BONNIE ADVISORY NUMBER 10
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL032010
400 PM CDT SAT JUL 24 2010

...BONNIE DEGENERATES INTO A DISORGANIZED AREA OF LOW PRESSURE..."

Note that on the last bulletin it is still called Tropical Depression. With Colin, the system went directly from a Tropical Storm to an open wave (no wind with a westerly component in this case). It is now really a gale (low pressure) center with winds still at 40mph sustained and therefore an area of tropical storm force winds still exist (as noted in the bulletins). Because Colin went directly from TS to open wave the final bulletin carried the Tropical Storm designation rather than Tropical Depression (because the wind speed in a portion of the storm is still above tropical depression strength). The status (TD or TS or Hurricane) and system name are just carried for reference purposes on the last bulletin. When a Hurricane hits far northern latitudes and becomes Extratropical, it is still called a Hurricane on the final bulletin:

"ZCZC MIATCPAT3 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
BULLETIN
HURRICANE IRENE ADVISORY NUMBER 24
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
11 PM AST MON OCT 18 1999

...IRENE BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL AS IT RACES ACROSS THE FAR NORTH
ATLANTIC OCEAN..."

Hopes this helps to clarify the issue.
ED

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Wed Aug 04 2010 02:46 AM

Kinda confused tonight... NHC model Tropical Suite run has 98L for the caribbean... NRL had 92L and further north... anyone know whats going on?

TROPICAL CYCLONE GUIDANCE MESSAGE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
0051 UTC WED AUG 4 2010

DISCLAIMER...NUMERICAL MODELS ARE SUBJECT TO LARGE ERRORS.
PLEASE REFER TO NHC OFFICIAL FORECASTS FOR TROPICAL CYCLONE
AND SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION.

ATLANTIC OBJECTIVE AIDS FOR

DISTURBANCE INVEST (AL982010) 20100804 0000 UTC

...INITIAL CONDITIONS...
LATCUR = 13.5N LONCUR = 69.1W DIRCUR = 280DEG SPDCUR = 18KT
LATM12 = 12.8N LONM12 = 65.5W DIRM12 = 285DEG SPDM12 = 18KT
LATM24 = 11.8N LONM24 = 62.0W
WNDCUR = 25KT RMAXWD = 45NM WNDM12 = 25KT
CENPRS = 1009MB OUTPRS = 1010MB OUTRAD = 90NM SDEPTH = S
RD34NE = 0NM RD34SE = 0NM RD34SW = 0NM RD34NW = 0NM

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Wed Aug 04 2010 02:53 AM

I noticed that earlier - somebody just made an error - next number up would have been 92L. Automated systems really get messed up when this happens. SFWMD model output display also shows 98 because they take it off the model output message.
ED

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Wed Aug 04 2010 04:13 AM

will be interesting to see if this error is corrected or not.... 98L... will it turn into 92L at 06z?

http://www.tropicalatlantic.com/models/d...;latestinvest=1

WesnWylie
(Weather Guru)
Wed Aug 04 2010 04:55 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Colin Fizzles and Tracking 92L

The remnants from Colin are firing up very nicely tonight. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues tomorrow or not. It still appears to be south of the NHC track from what I can tell (Although I am not for sure where the center is).

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Wed Aug 04 2010 07:39 PM

Colin looks to be regaining composure in the last frames of the Floater Vis Loop. 92L is rather ragged looking.

Lee-Delray
(Weather Master)
Wed Aug 04 2010 07:54 PM

If Colin regenerates is it still Colin or does it become Danielle (assuming 92L doesn't get that name)?

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Wed Aug 04 2010 08:11 PM

It would stay Colin unless it was indiscernible from the old system. It borderline happened with Katrina in 2005 when TD#10 formed, faded, then TD#12 formed that eventually became Katrina. TD#10 and TD#12 were basically the same area, but not quite, this is a case of where it was different. (See the 2005 thread about it)

Colin is pretty straightforward though, it would likely keep the name.

Doubt it'll happen before Tomorrow night at the earliest though.

mikethewreck
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 04 2010 09:12 PM

Am I going nuts or is there rotation in the ITCZ blob following ex-Colin and 92L (~48W and 8N)?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/flash-rb.html

Look at the last few frames. Are my eyes deceiving me?

I'd also think the 8N/48W blob would be too far south to be a major concern. Reading through the last discussion I found no mention of it.

Searching for storms developing that far south I only found the 1990 Fran, a minimal TS that ran into South America.

It's okay if I'm nuts. It helps at work.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Wed Aug 04 2010 10:15 PM

Boom! Convection exploding over the "center" of Colin in the latest Floater Vis Loop. Movement is NW near 20.0N; 61.5W.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Wed Aug 04 2010 10:19 PM
Ex-Colin Flares Up Again

Over the last couple of hours a rather decent convective bloom has formed directly over the low-level circulation that was once TS Colin. Coordinates at 04/21Z were approximately 19.9N 61.6W and movement has slowed considerably - now northwest at about 10kts. Strong shear still exists to the north of the system. Surface winds still estimated at about 35kts.
ED

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Wed Aug 04 2010 11:11 PM
Re: Ex-Colin Flares Up Again

We're all looking at a rather impressive convective mass on all satellite images and the bottom line unfortunately is no closed surface low despite tropical storm (gale) force winds in the NE quadrant of the system. Shear analysis continues to indicate there are 30 to 40 knot winds aloft ahead of the wave and TUTT lows equally ahead in the near term.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Wed Aug 04 2010 11:34 PM

That "No closed surface circulation" statement was made several hours before that convective blow up. Conditions could be decidedly different now.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Thu Aug 05 2010 12:06 AM

Ex-Colin continues to have a decent satellite signature. Concentrated area of lightning now being visible on the overnight visible satellite imagery. Area is circular and resembles a CDO type structure.
I was somewhat surprised that RECON flew the system but given it's satellite presentation it appears that NHC wanted to make sure that it was not a tropical cyclone. RECON did find Tropical storm force winds in the NE Quad of the system remnants... but no closed circulation.
This system is being closely watched, as evidenced by the RECON flight, satellite floater and models continuing to generate track data.

Models continue to take the remains out to sea and somewhat toward Bermuda.

92L is barely a honorable mention right now and the models continue to track it toward the Belize/ Yucatan Peninsula and into Northeastern Mexico.
Yet another tropical systems possibly going ashore in NE Mexico.

Northern GOM may need watching as several outflow boundaries have crossed through the MS/ LA Coastal areas over the last two days and into the Northern GOM. Not likely to develop anything but might get an extra glance or two.

craigm
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Aug 05 2010 12:13 AM

This is off the immediate topic but relates to every topic.
Klotzbach and Gray have not changed their forecast for this season as outlined in the following report released today.

http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/Forecasts/2010/aug2010/aug2010.pdf

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 12:21 AM

I'm wondering if Colin will be reestablished if that convection persists into tomorrow without being sheared off. 92L has no convection associated with it this evening.

Edit: 8 PM TWO gives Colin a 40% chance of redevelopment.

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 12:25 AM

That's pretty far south and heading due West, so I don't think it will be anything significant. The area at 10N; 30W seems to be trying to wrap up, though.

typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Thu Aug 05 2010 01:23 AM

We have to go with NHC at the end of the day, but I did notice earlier in the day that some llv vorticity was spun out of the vicinity of where the system's lat/lon were pegged. This small gyre even had a single glaciating tower or two associated with it as it trundled away to the west and dissipated.

Edit: It should also be noted that NHC has recoded Colin - or Colin's remnants - in Orange as of 8pm.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Thu Aug 05 2010 03:16 AM

Flight plan issued today for Thursday. Subject to change. New Plan of the Day should be out by 10 AM Thursday.

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1030 AM EDT WED 04 AUGUST 2010
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 05/1100Z TO 06/1100Z AUGUST 2010
TCPOD NUMBER.....10-066

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. REMNANTS OF TROPICAL STORM COLIN
FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 71
A. 05/1800Z
B. AFXXX 0204A COLIN
C. 05/1630Z
D. 23.0N 67.0W
E. 05/1730Z TO 05/2130Z
F. SFC TO 15,000 FT

2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK:
04L
A. A 06/1800Z FIX ON COLIN IF STILL A VIABLE
SYSTEM NEAR 27.0N 69.0W.

92L
B. A POSSIBLE LOW LEVEL INVEST AT 06/1500Z
NEAR 16.5N 84.5W.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 09:58 AM

As I stated in my post; while it looks impressive on satellite at any given point in time doesn't mean it can sustain itself for any length of time and such is the case this evening and morning. The first chart forecasters like myself look at is the Wind Shear Analysis and for the moment the remains of Colin are embedded in winds aloft of 20 to 30 as high as 40 knots aloft. While 20 isn't death, 30 to 40 knots is for any tropical system to gain in vertical depth and organization. When I was in school the hardest thing I had to do when analyzing clouds were which ones were shallow, mid and upper level and determine what directions each of those elements were. Ed makes a good point about this in his met discussions....because there isn't a surface low does not mean there is no rotation within the system; it may be broad, it may be a remnant low or simply non-tropical; however in the mid and upper levels there is usually rotation. When mets refer to shear they normally are talking about winds at 300 millibars or 30,000 feet MSL. There is low level shear as was the case a couple of days ago; the Low Level Easterly Jet which can only be found in the Tropics. You may remember that the system was moving incredibly fast...30 mph which in and of itself is shear which in fact disrupted the system's surface circulation. Whatever becomes of this system for the near term is not a threat to the US with a TUTT oriented NE to SW acting like a big wall. Not to be too technical; we're currently in what mets call a 5 wave pattern; that is 5 longwave troughs around the globe. This pattern is generally progressive, that is there on the move; generally west to east. Long range models continue to reflect the Mid-Continental Upper Ridge to be in place...slightly weaken...re-strengthen and weaken ever so slightly again but retrograde further to the west allowing a longwave trough to set up shop near the East Coast. What this means is the East Coast is closed for business for the near future out at least one week. There will be a narrow opportunity for this system to become a depression as it moves NW in about 36 to 48 hours. Between now and then; doubtful though it won't be at all uncommon to see some big thunderstorms go up. What matters is can they be sustained. At the trough axis there is a clear dividing line between dry and subsidence air and rising and moist air; typical of tropical waves.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Thu Aug 05 2010 02:14 PM
Re: Two Areas Neither a Real Threat

Upper level westerly windshear has exposed the low-level circulation of ex-Colin near 23.5N 65.2W at 05/13Z moving to the north. While the circulation does appear closed on satellite (similar to yesterday evening), all of the convection has been displaced to the east by the windshear. Some intensification seems likely once the system moves north of the shear zone, but the more northerly turn is a good indicator that the system will remain at sea as indicated by various model outputs.
ED

Fairhopian
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Aug 05 2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

92L has no convection associated with it this evening.

92L does have convection this morning and its upper level clouds appear to be somewhat aligned with its shallow clouds. Will the impending encounter with the upper ridge (to its immediate West) likely affect 92L's steering or rate of development? Watching what appears to be the "belt buckle" of 92L at 15N, 80W (I'm a former defensive back), its movement appears to be a little more north of due west in the last few frames. What does an upper ridge typically do to a tropical low crossing under it?

Fairhopian
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Aug 05 2010 04:20 PM

Okay, so the feature I described above may not be 92L exactly, but rather what appears to be the most dominant feature on the 92L floater. Any comments would still be appreciated. Thanks.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 05:32 PM

Looking at visible satellite imagery this afternoon there is clearly a tight cyclonic swirl at the surface with convective activity displaced to the east. Wind Shear analysis has a small high just to the SW of the system but just to the NW an area of 40 knot winds aloft. I've seen worse presentations on satellite and systems have a depression or storm classification. By definition what were looking at is at least a depression but the winds aloft for the time being are going to make it next to impossible for "Colin" to maintain any level of vertical cohesiveness. There is an opportunity ahead for "Colin" to regain tropical storm status if the small anticyclone to its SW can travel along the top or travel in the narrow area of light winds aloft in about 24 more hours. This system is no threat to the US and especially if it does regain storm status and thus be steered by the mid and upper level winds which a long wave trough/TUTT will block an advance towards the US.

WesnWylie
(Weather Guru)
Thu Aug 05 2010 05:37 PM

I am wondering if Colin will end up being subtropical if/when it is classified. It just does not appear to be purely tropical in nature.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

I am wondering if Colin will end up being subtropical if/when it is classified. It just does not appear to be purely tropical in nature.

It is tropical but sheared. Subtropical and Hybrids are a whole other can of worms. Simply put there lock your leftovers in the refrigerator; they are a little of everything and generally are found in higher latitudes until late in the season as the westerlies make their way south as we transition to winter.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 06:07 PM

As of 2 pm...70 percent chance of becoming a depression or storm....this is a tough call they'll be making....to either re-establish advisories or put it on hold. Satellite imagery continues to show a surface low and circulation with convection displaced to the east.; low level cumulus clearly are rotating around the surface low.

THE REMNANT OF COLIN IS A 1008 MB LOW PRESSURE CENTER THAT
IS NEAR 23N65W...OR ABOUT 415 NM TO THE SOUTH OF BERMUDA.
THE REMNANT OF COLIN IS MOVING NORTHWESTWARD ABOUT 17 KT.
GALE-FORCE WINDS ARE WITHIN 90 NM OF THE NORTHEASTERN
SEMICIRCLE. SEA HEIGHTS RANGE FROM 10 FT TO 15 FT. NUMEROUS
STRONG SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE FROM 22N TO 23N BETWEEN
62W AND 64W. OTHER SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE JUST TO THE
NORTH FROM 24N TO 25N BETWEEN 63W AND 64W. BROKEN TO OVERCAST
MULTILAYERED CONVECTIVE DEBRIS CLOUDS COVER THE WATERS FROM 17N
IN THE NORTHEASTERN CARIBBEAN SEA TO 33N IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN
BETWEEN 54W AND 70W. SOME OF THE CLOUD TOP TEMPERATURES IN THIS
AREA OF CLOUDS HAVE BEEN WARMING DURING THE LAST SIX HOURS. IT
IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME PRECIPITATION MAY BE IN SOME AREAS OF THIS
CLOUDINESS. THE LOW LEVEL CIRCULATION OF THIS SYSTEM HAS BECOME
BETTER DEFINED. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT
IS ENROUTE IN ORDER TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE CIRCULATION HAS
BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OR A TROPICAL STORM. THE CHANCE
THAT THIS SYSTEM MAY BECOME A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT
48 HOURS IS HIGH. RESIDENTS IN BERMUDA SHOULD MONITOR THE
PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Thu Aug 05 2010 06:48 PM

It's fate is currently in the hands of recon which is really where it should be... short of sailing a boat around and trying to find Miss Cleo to divine if it is or isn't a Storm...

Recon does it's best and they are measuring and testing and if they find something they will have to figure out what do to with it... TD or any other designation.

Does have the winds but they are not wrapped neatly around the very visible swirl.

So many decisions to make in the next few hours...

ChrisS
(Registered User)
Thu Aug 05 2010 08:23 PM

Its interesting how Colin is hanging in there. Like a zombie storm that won't go away. It looks like it may pose a threat to Bermuda after all. I would think it wise for those with interests there to really be watchful the next 24-48 hours. If memory serves, was Colin the wave that started as Invest 90L and then disappeared and re-appeared as 91L? If so, this thing sure does have a habit of dying and being reincarnated.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 08:29 PM

AF Recon is in the system as we speak and there are tropical storm force winds in the system as observations are now coming in; though no vortex data as of yet...time index 05/2016Z.

Storm Hunter
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Thu Aug 05 2010 08:44 PM

Roger that... appears center is near Time: 19:32:00Z Coordinates:24.5333N 65.9167W... appears they have now closed off a low.. strong TS force winds on NE side of what i think is the center.

PS: this is a low level Invest... so there flying less then 1kft above surface and winds at 600ft are at TS force to the east and northeast of "center"...

It matches up with sat presentation... center is exposed to the west of convection... shear is winning at the momement.

WeatherNut
(Weather Master)
Thu Aug 05 2010 08:56 PM

Yes it looks like they have closed off a center to the west of the highest winds some in excess of 50mph. There is also another big blowup barely west of the center enough to where it is not visible anymore

Rich B
(British Meteorologist)
Thu Aug 05 2010 09:03 PM

according to the Bermuda Weather service (www.weather.bm) Colin has redeveloped and a Tropical Storm Warning is now in effect.

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Thu Aug 05 2010 09:49 PM
Colin is Back...

TROPICAL STORM COLIN DISCUSSION NUMBER 7
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042010
500 PM AST THU AUG 05 2010

SATELLITE IMAGERY AND REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE
HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT THE REMNANTS OF COLIN HAVE DEVELOPED
SUFFICIENT ORGANIZED CONVECTION AND A WELL-ENOUGH DEFINED CENTER OF
CIRCULATION TO AGAIN BE DESIGNATED A TROPICAL CYCLONE. THE
AIRCRAFT FOUND 500-FT FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS OF 50-52 KT AND SFMR WINDS
NEAR 40 KT EAST OF THE CENTER. BASED ON THIS...ADVISORIES ARE
RE-INITIATED ON TROPICAL STORM COLIN AT AN INITIAL INTENSITY OF 40
KT.

TROPICAL STORM COLIN FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 7
2100 UTC THU AUG 05 2010

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVISORY...

THE GOVERNMENT OF BERMUDA HAS ISSUED A TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR
BERMUDA.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* BERMUDA

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN 36 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM CENTER LOCATED NEAR 24.9N 66.3W AT 05/2100Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 25 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTHWEST OR 325 DEGREES AT 17 KT

MichaelA
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Aug 05 2010 10:08 PM
Re: Colin is Back...

Interesting that it hasn't been added/updated on NHC's home page. At least, I know now that my eyes have not been deceiving me over the last 24 hours. Is it me, or is the NHC being a bit more cautious this year so far?

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Thu Aug 05 2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Interesting that it hasn't been added/updated on NHC's home page. At least, I know now that my eyes have not been deceiving me over the last 24 hours. Is it me, or is the NHC being a bit more cautious this year so far?

The discussion for Colin states they are having internet issues. :

Quote:

INTERNET PROBLEMS WILL PREVENT THE NHC WEB SITE FROM BEING UPDATED
AT THIS TIME. PLEASE SEE WEATHER.GOV FOR ADVISORY TEXT PRODUCTS.

We have copies of the advisories here (Front page) or on http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormhistory.php?storm=4&year=2010 (Click the forecaster name by the advisory to see the discussion).

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Aug 06 2010 12:40 AM

As of 8:32pm EDT NHC Advisories are now showing on the left sidebar. Advisory #8 was issued at 7:30pm EDT. I'll post the essential information here for those folowing the storm.

TROPICAL STORM COLIN TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
500 PM AST THU AUG 05 2010
...RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT AND SATELLITE DATA INDICATE THAT TROPICAL
STORM COLIN HAS STRENGTHENED...

AROUND 5 PM AST...RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATED THAT MAXIMUM
SUSTAINED WINDS IN TROPICAL STORM COLIN HAD INCREASED TO NEAR 60
MPH...WHICH IS SOONER THAN ORIGINALLY FORECAST. THEREFORE AN
UPDATED INTENSITY FORECAST WILL BE ISSUED IN A SPECIAL ADVISORY BY
8 PM AST. THIS WILL SUPERCEDE THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED INTERMEDIATE
PUBLIC ADVISORY PRODUCT.

NOTE: DUE TO NWS COMMUNICATIONS PROBLEMS...NHC WEB PAGE AND
RECONNAISSANCE INFORMATION ARE UNABLE TO UPDATE.

SUMMARY OF 730 PM AST...2330 UTC...INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.6N 66.2W
ABOUT 470 MI...755 KM S OF BERMUDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 330 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...32 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1005 MB...29.68 INCHES

$$
FORECASTER STEWART/BROWN

TROPICAL STORM COLIN SPECIAL DISCUSSION NUMBER 8
730 PM AST THU AUG 05 2010

...THIS SPECIAL ADVISORY HAS BEEN ISSUED TO PRIMARILY UPDATE THE
INTENSITY AND WIND RADII FORECASTS.

SHORTLY AFTER THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY HAD BEEN ISSUED...AN AIR FORCE
RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING TROPICAL STORM COLIN
REPORTED A 600-FT FLIGHT-LEVEL WIND OF 71 KT ABOUT 14 NMI NORTHEAST
OF THE CIRCULATION CENTER. IN ADDITION...A SURFACE PRESSURE OF 1005
MB WAS ALSO OBSERVED IN THE GENERAL VICINITY. IT IS UNCERTAIN IF
THESE VALUES WERE ASSOCIATED WITH A SMALL MESOVORTEX LOCATED
NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER...WHICH WOULD NOT BE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE
LARGER-SCALE WIND FIELD. FOR THIS REASON...THE INTENSITY WAS
INITIALIZED AT 40 KT IN AGREEMENT WITH NEARBY SFMR WINDS.
HOWEVER...SINCE THE TIME OF THAT RECON REPORT...DEEP CONVECTION IN
THE NORTHEASTERN QUADRANT OF COLIN HAS CONTINUED TO DEVELOP CLOSER
TO THE LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION CENTER...WHICH JUSTIFIES INCREASING
THE INTENSITY TO 50 KT BASED ON A BLEND OF THE FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS
AND SFMR SURFACE WINDS. SINCE A FORECAST INTENSITY OF 50 KT WAS NOT
EXPECTED TO OCCUR UNTIL 48 HOURS IN THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY...A
SPECIAL ADVISORY WAS REQUIRED TO INCREASE THE INTENSITY AND TO
ADJUST THE INTENSITY FORECAST UPWARD DURING THE NEXT 36 HOURS.
ALSO...DROPSONDE DATA INDICATES AN EXPANSION OF THE 34-KT WIND
RADII IN THE SOUTHEASTERN QUADRANT WAS NECESSARY.

NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE PREVIOUS TRACK FORECAST OR REASONING
WERE MADE.

INTERNET PROBLEMS WILL PREVENT THE NHC WEB SITE FROM BEING UPDATED
AT THIS TIME. PLEASE SEE WEATHER.GOV FOR ADVISORY TEXT PRODUCTS.

Asterisks denote separate product excerpts~danielw

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the earlier data outage... but it could delay the model runs tonight. Just a possibility. Only anomaly message that I could find in the system.

NOUS42 KWNO 052048
ADMNFD
SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP AVIATION WEATHER CENTER KANSAS CITY MO
2048 UTC THU AUG 05 2010 ( 4:48pm EDT transmission time)

BACKUP OF SDM/NCO/NCEP OPERATIONS IS IN EFFECT BY THE AVIATION
WEATHER CENTER IN KANSAS CITY MO. NCEP TOOK A POWER HIT THAT CUT
OFF CONNECTIVITY WITH THEM. PHONES AND ELECTRIC ARE DOWN. NO
ESTIMATED TIME FOR RECOVERY AT THIS TIME.

stormchazer
(Storm Tracker)
Fri Aug 06 2010 01:32 AM

New invest

BEGIN
NHC_ATCF
invest_al932010.invest
FSTDA
R
U
NONE
NOTIFY=ATRP
END
INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 93, 2010, DB, O, 2010080600, 9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH, , AL932010
AL, 93, 2010080500, , BEST, 0, 115N, 367W, 20, 1010, LO, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,
AL, 93, 2010080506, , BEST, 0, 116N, 362W, 20, 1010, LO, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,
AL, 93, 2010080512, , BEST, 0, 119N, 360W, 25, 1009, LO, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,
AL, 93, 2010080518, , BEST, 0, 123N, 358W, 25, 1009, LO, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,
AL, 93, 2010080600, , BEST, 0, 127N, 358W, 25, 1009, DB

ftp://ftp.tpc.ncep.noaa.gov/atcf/tcweb/ ... 010.invest

LoisCane
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Fri Aug 06 2010 02:13 AM

on track and doing the same old dance... strong convection away from the center but a definite center and it has 60 mph winds

A lightning strike took out the system in Washington that the NHC links through before it goes out... I guess it runs their website.. the nhc's website is back up now... so for a long time their site was not updated because it was ummm broken

the models might not be on time which would be a shame, can't wait to see the new the new model output with the recon data

new invest swims after Colin... fish if it develops as it follows colin up into the north atlantic

MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Fri Aug 06 2010 02:42 AM

93L is up as well, but this is going to be another out to sea system.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center