Lamar-Plant City
(Storm Tracker)
Sat Sep 05 2009 04:10 PM
Interesting area near Naples 9/5/09

Saw a mention on the front page about this and have been looking at it on various satellites. Definitely a strong area of convection with a little twist to it just off of Southwest Florida. Water temps are incredibly high and the atmosphere is still juiced by leftovers of a frontal trough in the neighborhood. No mention of this feature by the local METs. What does everyone think about it?

KC
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sat Sep 05 2009 04:20 PM
Re: Interesting area near Naples 9/5/09

Funny you should mention that. I just looked at our local weather radar and it looked a bit odd. I'm inland Collier County; we had strong storms earlier this afternoon and are in and out of the rain (we need that). Strange weather patterns indeed.

berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Sat Sep 05 2009 07:25 PM
Re: Interesting area near Naples 9/5/09

Reply to Lamar in Plant City - I commented on this earlier but it was this morning. At 250mb and 300mb (35,000 and 30,000 feet) there is a sharp shortwave that is very close to being cutoff. Thunderstorm activity is on the east side of the feature thus explains the slow northward drift. The area has very low wind shear aloft but is forecasted to become hostile in 48 to 72 hours so unless this feature moves over the Atlantic it won't survive in the GOM. Yes, there is an old frontal boundary in the area, a place for convergence at the surface and difluence aloft supporting vertical rise. If there's something there, the environment for the short term is conducive, but hostile thereafter, I hope this helps.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center