disneyfanfl
(Verified CFHC User)
Mon Jul 11 2005 02:29 PM
model times

I know this will sound like a stupid question, so please forgive me. What do the times for the model runs mean? I noticed the current model run is 12z and the next one will be 18z. Does this refer to military time like 1200 and 1800? Just curious. Thanks, guys!

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Mon Jul 11 2005 03:06 PM
Re: model times

The "z" after the model times refers to Zulu time, or Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), or something else along those lines (UTC, etc...). Essentially, it refers to the time at the Prime Meridian, or at 0 E/W. During Daylight Savings Time, it is 4hr ahead of ET, while it is 5hr ahead of ET the rest of the year. This means that the 12z model runs are taken at 8am ET using the data at that time. The models are actually run slightly after that, with output available some time thereafter.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center