spinup
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 09 2007 03:45 PM
dimensions

90L and 91L are currently on the maps (sunday 9/9/07).

90L is dimensionally very small.

91L is dimensionally very large.

statistically, if the wind speeds associated with both of these systems were to intensify , would 90L tend to intensify as a dimensionally small storm and would 91L tend to intensify as a dimensionally large storm?

and, to what degree is eyewall size related to the outer dimensions of a storm.

i recall several years ago, perhaps 2004, watching the miami radar as one storm was developing off the florida coast, and i could hardly believe what i was seeing regarding the eyewall size. it must have been 50 miles across. does anyone recall how big a system this was dimensionally, at that time? i don't recall how this system transformed .

ltpat228
(Storm Tracker)
Sun Sep 09 2007 05:03 PM
Re: dimensions

Quote:

I recall several years ago, perhaps 2004, watching the miami radar as one storm was developing off the florida coast, and i could hardly believe what i was seeing regarding the eyewall size. it must have been 50 miles across. does anyone recall how big a system this was dimensionally, at that time? i don't recall how this system transformed .

I know Frances had the largest eye I have ever seen.
In fact at 1 point, her eye was larger than Lake Okeechobee!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/frances/index.html

spinup
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 09 2007 05:25 PM

looking at the melbourne radar loop that weather guru provided, it appears that this system (francis) was indeed dimensionally extraordinarily large.

are there any graphics out there somewhere that illustrate the various sizes/dimensions of historical storms (windfield graphics?) in correlation with their eyewall size?

spinup
(Weather Watcher)
Sun Sep 09 2007 05:37 PM

correction on my part. the two systems i was referring to in my original post are 91L and 92L, not 90L and 91L. my bad.
are things heating up or what?!

Clark
(Meteorologist)
Wed Sep 12 2007 12:43 AM

Generally, small storms start out from small entities and larger storms start out from larger entities. I don't have the statistical correlation numbers to provide hard evidence to that, however.

Eyewall size and overall dimensions of the storm may have a weak correlation. Generally as eyewall size increases after eyewall replacement cycles, the storm's overall size gets larger. I also don't have anything more concrete than this, however.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center